Questions about traveling to Turkey, payment, ect

jc80220

Not sure if this is the place to post this or even appropriate but I have some general questions that I was hoping someone could answer.

After the transplant, would it be okay to wear a hood over my head? It's obviously not like a hat, it's just a hood loosely over the head. I'm just thinking about how self-conscious I'll be on the plane and airport back. I'm going to Antalya for my transplant, so it won't be like Istanbul with other transplant patients.

How is payment handled? I've been told it's cash, so do I need to take out x amount of Turkish currency or euro's? Can I use my Visa card to take out the money over there? I'll ask my clinic too.

Will a travel pillow be of use?

I thought I had more questions 😄 I guess that's it for now. Anybody wants to offer any advice, that'd be appreciated too. Haven't traveled since I was a kid, so bit anxious.

• Valued Contributor

I don't mean to be rude or truculent, but if you forget about going to Turkey now and research a lot more into other clinics, you will not only get to save your money but also your scalp. I'm serious. Please take my advice seriously. All the best.

• Like 1

Hi I went to Istanbul 18 months ago and although they asked for the cash I didn't fancy taking it with me so I did a bank transfer while I was in the clinic and they were more than happy with that as it appears in the account within minutes. Defo take a travel pillow with you. I was really happy with the results I had 3 procedure at the same time. Hair transplant, upper eye lid surgery and 20 dental crowns. Gatsby must of had a bad experience but you can get that in any country. I am going back to Turkey as soon as travel permits. Happy to answeer any questions if it help.

Before and After 3.JPG

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Neil G said:

Hi I went to Istanbul 18 months ago and although they asked for the cash I didn't fancy taking it with me so I did a bank transfer while I was in the clinic and they were more than happy with that as it appears in the account within minutes. Defo take a travel pillow with you. I was really happy with the results I had 3 procedure at the same time. Hair transplant, upper eye lid surgery and 20 dental crowns. Gatsby must of had a bad experience but you can get that in any country. I am going back to Turkey as soon as travel permits. Happy to answeer any questions if it help.

Before and After 3.JPG

This was your first post after joining the forum exactly 15 mins ago according to your profile.

Interested to know why this thread made you sign up and post straight away? To be fair the content of your post doesn't seem spammy and shilly but the timing is suspect 

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I was signing up to the forum and just about to post my pics and review of my experience when I saw someone asking about payment so thought I would share my experience. Is that not what the forum is for? Apologies if the normal eitcate is to post your review first, I just saw something I could answer/help with. Are you one of the group admins?

Edited by Neil G

• Valued Contributor

@Neil G you would know that if you have had the results that you are happy about (and I certainly hope you are) then you would also realize that you are in the minority from your research of Turkey. Do you know how many patients are operated on in one day by 'technicians?' Have you not read and scene all the horror stories on this forum (not to mention others)??? Your timing on jumping in is dubious at best.

Timing? I don't understand am I meant to join and sit iddle not contributing. To be honest this already seems like a group I don't want to be part of. Surely it is better to share all experiences good or bad or is your opinion th eonly one that counts? Don't worry I won't be commenting an any other posts, wouldn't want to look dubious for taking part in a forum on a forum. Enjoy your little cliche. Clearly new members aren't welcome. Have a great week !

21 minutes ago, Neil G said:

I was signing up to the forum and just about to post my pics and review of my experience when I saw someone asking about payment so thought I would share my experience. Is that not what the forum is for? Apologies if the normal eitcate is to post your review first, I just saw something I could answer/help with. Are you one of the group admins?

I don't want to make this seem like an unwelcoming place so I apologise if you are indeed just a normal person who has had a good result from Turkey. I have a big interest in posts about the doctor I went with so I understand you perhaps jumping straight into a post related to your experience.

The problem we have here is people signing up to promote places or products that are not reputable. We can usually spot these people as it's always their first post, features great looking photos, and may be jumping to the defence of a product or a doctor that is otherwise being criticised.

Most people find this forum before they've had a transplant or after a bad result. People tend not to sign up after they've had a great result because - well - why would you care about this anymore? Most people wouldn't, they'd be off enjoying their lives with a good head of hair. You did mention you want to have more work done though so it's very plausible that you'd have found us a little later into the process.

You could be legitimate - and like I said your post wasn't too spammy or shilly - but some red flags were there that make some people suspicious. 

No I'm not a group admin, just a seasoned poster.

Who did you have your surgery with?

If you've had a positive result (regardless of where or when) you're very welcome to make a post about it. Legit reviews are this forum's bread and butter, we're all here to share knowledge and experiences. 

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

10 minutes ago, Neil G said:

Timing? I don't understand am I meant to join and sit iddle not contributing. To be honest this already seems like a group I don't want to be part of. Surely it is better to share all experiences good or bad or is your opinion th eonly one that counts? Don't worry I won't be commenting an any other posts, wouldn't want to look dubious for taking part in a forum on a forum. Enjoy your little cliche. Clearly new members aren't welcome. Have a great week !

Please see my post. We don't want to scare off people who joined with good intentions - that definitely isn't the case at all.

The usual process is for a newbie to sign up, ask the most basic questions and over time eventually progress to surgery and post their results. We don't get many people posting after a great result and make their first post in a thread defending somewhere that is being criticised. 

This is a friendly and welcoming place for genuine hair loss sufferers. If you have an honest story to tell then please do share! 

I found the group and others as I have heard people talking about products to take to prevent losing hair again etc. Ive not been taking anything as didn't know I needed to so wanted to check out groups to see what others were doing. I had good results but want a second transplant for the crown area. if there were UK options as cheap I would obviously consider them. Saw a post about payment which was one of my concerns but I had an answer for. Don't wory I will find my answers etc on other groups not so quick to jump down your throat for sharing your opinons in a forum and offering answers to a question. Cya !

Edited by Neil G

OK well there's not much more I can add. I've tried to rationally explain why we questioned you, it's up to you how you handle that.

Hopefully you can stick around and share your experiences with a write up and let us know what clinic you chose etc. 

I'm not sure about the hoodie. I actually bought a hat that I can wear really loose, but I'm on day 4 of my procedure and I'm not willing to wear it yet. That's just me.

My clinic required a 1000 Eur deposit, which I wired before I flew out to Turkey. They accept USD so I brought the balance in cash. On day of surgery, we agreed on more grafts so I paid that balance with my credit card (paid in Lira). So make sure you have a credit card without foreign transaction fees.

Travel pillow is a must. I bought a fancy memory foam one and it helps, but I can't sleep very well with it. I use it in bed, laying down on top of a few pillows (I'm still in Ankara in a hotel). It fits better sitting up in a chair.  Sleeping is going to suck until day 11 when I can sleep normally.

Thanks, all.

Gatsby,

The clinic I'm going to, I've read a lot of threads from other guys that have been there, and happy with my choice. I am aware of the risks of going to Turkey. It was actually one of the main posters on here that led me to the clinic in question.

Neil,

Thanks for the advice about the bank transfer. I'll see what they say about that.

MachoVato,

Thanks for mentioning the card fee's and about the pillow.

• Administrators

@Neil G 

If you legitimately want to share your experience, please create your own thread. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I don't mean to be rude or truculent, but if you forget about going to Turkey now and research a lot more into other clinics, you will not only get to save your money but also your scalp. I'm serious. Please take my advice seriously. All the best.

Neil G is probably a shill, but this comment is pretty worthless too. The original poster didn't even give a clinic name.

There are quite a few good results from Turkey on this forum, as well as some bad results from recommended clinics. For instance, not every result from Eugenix has been stellar, including some questionable donor harvesting. Dr. Bhatti was kicked off the recommended list. Maybe India should be avoided as well, right?

It would be nice if specific results and doctors were judged, rather than entire countries. I think we'd all be better off in the long-run.

• Administrators

Guys,

There must be something in the air, but everyone seems to come out swinging today. Pizzawolf you are right there are some good clinics in Turkey, and we shouldn’t be sensational and say all, but gatsby is trying to help, and he’s probably referring to the clinic this guys is promoting. Let’s all take a deep breath and remember why were here, to share and learn from each other. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

39 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Guys,

There must be something in the air, but everyone seems to come out swinging today. Pizzawolf you are right there are some good clinics in Turkey, and we shouldn’t be sensational and say all, but gatsby is trying to help, and he’s probably referring to the clinic this guys is promoting. Let’s all take a deep breath and remember why were here, to share and learn from each other. 

Yeah, you're right. Sorry.

• Like 1

Can I take my Visa debit card and just withdraw the money from a cash machine? I don't especially want to have to take thousands of pounds in my luggage, nor convert thousands of pounds in to whatever the currency is in Turkey and take it over there, if that's the thing? I haven't been abroad in a good while, like I said, so I have no clue about this stuff.

Edited by jc80220

2 minutes ago, jc80220 said:

Can I take my Visa debit card and just withdraw the money from a cash machine? I don't especially want to have to take thousands of pounds in my luggage, nor take out thousand of pounds of whatever the currency is in Turkey, if that's the thing? I haven't been abroad in a good while, like I said, so I have no clue about this stuff.

You can but check with your bank on how much it will charge you to do so. 

Thanks, John.

The surgeon I'm using doesn't speak English and our communications are done through Google translate, so I'm trying to keep things as basic as possible and was hoping it was a straightforward answer I didn't need to bother him with.

It seems cash is the preference, but I have no idea what that means. If I stick my card in a Turkish cash machine will I be able to withdraw the amount in Turkish cash or Euro's, whichever it is? Do I have to get the cash over here at the travel exchange and take it there? Somebody must know?

I have done it 3 different ways. Withdraw from Turkish cash machine (my bank charged) transferred direct to clinic and also took euros once having used a local travel exchange.

Of course the easiest way was the direct transfer to the clinic.