Dr. Ozlem Bicer Review

IanH

Hi everyone, I wanted to give an honest review 2 months after surgery. 

At the start of lockdown I shaved my head as I needed to make a decision on whether I got a transplant or not, I had been deliberating for a long time, shaving my head made my mind up as I had always covered up quite well.

I initially spoke to 3 or 4 clinics and from the offset, Dr.Bicer and the team were by far the most thorough and supportive. They look at 1 patient per day and this was hugely important for me. I wanted to make sure if I was doing it, I was doing it right.

I had all the information needed beforehand to make a decision and I had no doubts it was the right choice.

At the pre-op the day before, I was given all the information I could need.

The day of the op and during it everything was explained really well and I understood completely each stage. Knowing you are the only patient is great and the team were outstanding. 

I am really happy with the results so far and the aftercare from the team has been brilliant. Any questions or advice I need, is available straight away.

I understand it will take time to see the final results but I am delighted with everything and would recommend getting in contact with Dr. Bicer and her team if you are considering a hair transplant. I'm happy to share more information if you need.Screenshot_20201011-130521_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.0117b01d74acff78c7476ee50c5e9388.jpgScreenshot_20201011-131822_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.87545ddf8d4e45e00c2ab8c6d28e95d4.jpgScreenshot_20201011-131822_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.87545ddf8d4e45e00c2ab8c6d28e95d4.jpg

Screenshot_20201011-131909_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by IanH

• IanH changed the title to Dr. Ozlem Bicer Review

Hello Ian and thanks for the update.  I know you mean well - and may even be trying to help the doctor out with your feedback.  The effect, however, is totally the opposite - at least in my opinion.  Let me explain.

Unless you did PRP at the time of the procedure, it really takes about 3-4 months for the hair to start coming out.  And the quality is vellus-like.  That is, it will be a good 6 months for you to tell if the work was any good.  Further, it will take a full year to mature the hair and "really" be able to ascertain what you got.  So your email is a bit preliminary.

While there is some value to the fact he only does one patient a day, (concentrates on you only), this truly means nothing. Experience, results....Did you talk to her about her upbringing in the hair restoration world? How about photos of results? How long has she been doing this? If she's been doing this for a week and 1 a day, that means she's only done 5 cases. (It would be nice to know for how long she has been practicing).

"The team was outstanding." What does this mean? Were they fast, slow, made you feel comfortable? Did they talk during the procedure? Were you watching TV the whole time? Who put the local in? Did that hurt? Were you hot or cold? How about food...Did they provide lunch? 

Not getting on you....but this is a good example - and a common one. Many come her for advise and experience of others.  Be detailed, I am sure everyone will appreciate it and you will then be doing the doctor a great service.

I gather you did FUE.Do you know what size punch she used? How did you find her? Does she practice close to you? What did they suggest post op? Did they send you home with products? Did she recommend a medical regimen to help you with retention?

Hi LaserCap, you seem very knowledgeable!

The main reason for me posting is if I can genuinely help one person make a decision based on my experience then I'd be happy. For most people I guess this will be something they go through once in their lifetime and to say its a confusing field is, as most will agree, an understatement.

For sure, a lot of your points make perfect sense but I will touch on a few:

I stated I wanted to give my review '2 months after surgery', I also mention 'I understand it will take some time to see the final results'. So my words may be preliminary but its all I can base it on at the moment. I still look at the mirror lots of times a day to check for changes but I know it will take time so probably shouldn't check so much!

You mention it 'truly means nothing' to have only one patient per day, I really disagree with this point. Although the results may have been completely different, maybe even better, for me this was a big thing. Mentally, to know that I was the only patient in the surgery that day meant a lot.

When I said the 'team was outstanding' again I can only comment on my experience, I haven't done this before, maybe it was awful! But for me, I couldn't have asked for more. I was very welcomed, provided with every detail I needed prior to travelling and afterwards.

Yes, I did FUE. In total just over 3200 grafts. 0.6mm punch. I researched online and was very close to going to a clinic that a colleague went to and highly recommended, I spoke with those guys and just didn't have a good vibe. I had a few video calls with the Doctor herself and it felt right from the offset. She was very professional and spoke with a focus on my health initially, most others spoke only of the result and the price. 

Post op, yes I went to the clinic the day after for a clean and a de-brief. Was provided with all the aftercare products etc. On the day before the surgery I went in for pre-op, had a very detailed discussion about the procedure, met the team etc.

As I say, I'm more than happy to answer some more questions. I have plenty of pictures from the lead up and the days after the surgery.

The one question I do have is the use of finasteride and whether this is something most people take afterwards? Maybe you can help advise with that?

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding Finasteride, the recommended timing differs between surgeons as to when you stop taking it just before surgery and when you should resume it after surgery. Usually, stop 1-2 weeks before, start again 1-2 weeks after. Or some recommend not ever stopping if you've started before the surgery. But it is generally unanimous that you should be on Finasteride for as long as you feel you need hair unless you have side effects. Now that you are 2 months past your surgery date, no reason you should not be on Finasteride. I am wondering why Bicer hasn't given you an answer for this now that you are 2 months past your surgery?

I always wonder why people on forums state that they've had a FUE procedure, but never bother to show their donor area before, immediately after the procedure, and as they go along through to the end of the 12-month recovery period. In most cases, if you have hair now where you were bald before, you are going to look better. It is where you've had hair before, then had donors extracted that should be of immediate concern. That is why afterall why one would pay more for FUE.

So, please post plenty of photos before your surgery, immediately after your surgery, then post pics of your progress as you go along. As well thought out as your testimony is, they pale to good old photos. Also, download GIMP from gimp.org. Learn to use the cropping tool and how to resize photos. I find resizing photos to 800 horizontal pictures is best.

Thanks jimcraig, I have plenty of photos so I will post some with some better timelines in the next few days. 

I guess for me regarding the donor area it has never been as important, I usually keep my back and side very tight so have never been as bothered if the donor area showed signs.

Thanks for the heads up on GIMP, will take a look.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm 2 & 1/2 months after surgery and wanted to put a few progress pics up. I had my hair cut over the last few days so it should give a good indication of the donor area which I think has settled very well. 

I'm very happy with the progress so far and the pics probably wont show the small hairs popping though which is a nice sight and anyone who has gone through the process will know! Its starting to fill out a little more each week. 

I think the last month or so was the toughest for me, as the implanted hair had fallen out and your other hair continues to grow, for me, it highlighted the implanted area even more so and impatience set in.

Will continue to post some updates and happy to help anyone looking for advice.

20201104_173122.jpg

20201104_173339.jpg

• Like 1

Though your pictures aren't clear, the reason why one would pay the extra $$$ for FUE is for less visible scarring and the flexibility to wear shorter hairstyles. You haircut in that picture can't get much shorter. So mission accomplished. As for your recipient area, you are right on track.

How many grafts was this?

Sorry guys let me put some clearer pics up, I used selfie images originally so poorer quality.

These are clearer.

Yes, I always kept my hair short, I think it looked tidier with my horrendous hairline!

Maybe if I get decent growth in the recipient area I will keep it longer all over. 

20201104_175719.jpg

20201104_175548.jpg

Edited by IanH

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I'm coming up to 4 months since surgery so thought I would update with a few progress pics.

Personally I'm very happy with the progress and lots of people commenting lately which really does help with confidence.

Still early days and plenty of time for things to develop but I can really start noticing the smaller hairs popping through and thickening. 

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer.

20201213_204227.jpg

20201213_203835.jpg

Do you have any photos of your Donor after a month ? 

I'm stressing going back to work with my FUT scar on show so was wondering how long my donor might be after a month. 

I took a month off work 🤣

650B1E77-19CD-4930-8B8A-F1DCDCA3ECA7.jpeg

On 12/18/2020 at 2:00 PM, UK 42 said:

Do you have any photos of your Donor after a month ? 

I'm stressing going back to work with my FUT scar on show so was wondering how long my donor might be after a month. 

I took a month off work 🤣

650B1E77-19CD-4930-8B8A-F1DCDCA3ECA7.jpeg

I must say that FUT scar is hardly visible, good work whoever your surgeon was. :)

On 12/13/2020 at 12:49 PM, IanH said:

Hi everyone, I'm coming up to 4 months since surgery so thought I would update with a few progress pics.

Personally I'm very happy with the progress and lots of people commenting lately which really does help with confidence.

Still early days and plenty of time for things to develop but I can really start noticing the smaller hairs popping through and thickening. 

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer.

20201213_204227.jpg

20201213_203835.jpg

Wow, looks great. Would love to see from more angles.

• Like 1

8 day recovery update after FUE with Doctor Bicer. 
Almost all scabs have gone, still have some redness and itching but healing well. My old scar looks a little odd because the hair directly above it that wasn’t extracted is more prominent than the rest of my hair, so I think makes my scar even more visible. Hopefully it will all fill in after a few weeks 🙏🏻

E65AE88B-7E6B-4A2B-AF5A-893492261B07.png

A483E07A-D506-4312-90BE-2A361823C207.png

962ADDFC-1E38-4914-BA6B-0329B3354897.png

57A125F9-AD47-43CC-93BC-624CF6D3F70B.png

I agree your FUT scar looks good, looks like the doc used the 'trichophytic' closure method so hair grows through your scar? My doc tried that on my 2nd procedure, and even though the scar is pretty thin unfortunately the hairs didn't grow through the scar.

You have some pretty thick bands of hair above and below your scar too, how long do you plan on wearing your hair on the sides? For longer hair styles that top band of extra hair is good to help cover the scar, but if you go for buzz length range like in this pic it brings more attention to your scar. I like side buzz length cuts so if it were me coming back for a follow up procedure I would have asked the doc to use some of my hairs from those bands to even out the density so that it better matches the rest of the donor, drawing less attention to the scar.

image.png.a591dd226b771f13fe244710ba709c25.png

======================

image.png.03da57dbff16bff27933a84eab34a047.png

image.thumb.png.6aa8552e6a7ea5e013cf175389954854.png

Ciaus , your scar looks amazing. I normally have my hair shaved low and the back but my barber keeps it long where my scar is .

Nobody has ever noticed my scar so my hair hides it well. 

Hopefully that top band of extra hair won’t be an issue once I grow it out🙏🏻