COVID Hair Loss

• Valued Contributor

That journalist summarizes that from a couple of studies that hair loss could be due to anxiety, nutrition, etc from Covid 19, etc, etc. I am not disputing that Covid 19 may cause hair loss. I just think it's too early to say. Does the hair grow back if it is caused by Covid 19? I think I would be more concerned about getting Covid 19 myself.

No science here on that claim, but reports are numerous that many organs and systems in our bodies are affected the the Virus in a variety of ways.   Your Kidneys can get screwed up, your lungs can be permanently damaged, etc etc.  Nothing surprises me.  Just take reasonable precautions and be safe! 

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Administrators

There’s actually a published study from Dr. Schaumbach of Guatemala, I’ll see if I can find it.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

50 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Looks like they are seeing more male patients being admitted for covid and they also happen to balding. Which makes sense, given that hair loss advances as people age and we know covid more severely impacts the elderly and people with underlying health conditions -the kind of underlying conditions like diabetes and heart disease that usually take decades of bad lifestyle choices.

Any significant illness would cause your body to release stress hormones plus inflammatory mediators both of which can do a number on your hair: growth as well as cycling. 

However interesting thing to note is that cortisol (one of the major stress hormones) has been shown to reduce testosterone levels which would make you think otherwise. But science is never  that simple. What happens is that cortisol signals hair follicles to go into resting phase in response to stress and hence shed (body does not treat hair as essential) which explains why both men and women can shed hair with/after major illness. While these hair recover eventually but if you are an unlucky guy with miniaturised hair from MBP you might be out of luck.

No clear evidence that COVID as virus directly attacks hair follicles.

Edited by InterventionalPDoc