Dating while balding

• Administrators

So, while I was balding in my early 20’s I was single. I did okay, but my self- confidence was low, my dating life was mediocre. Long story short, I got in a relationship from my mid-20’s to early 30’s, but after my break-up-single life was different. 

Dating apps back when I was in my early 20’s were for desperate people, young people weren’t on these sites. Thank Tinder for changing public perception lol. Once I hit the dating pool my confidence was way different, my dating life was great. 

Now, having said that, I know it wasn’t only my hair that had a positive impact, but my confidence made most of the difference. I’m interested to hear your guys stories. 

How did balding affect your dating life? If you’ve had a hair transplant has it made an impact?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Interesting post Melvin.. 

While I felt having my head shaved since my mid 20s didn't particularly hold me back with members of the opposite sex I always felt the bald /balding guy always had to try that bit harder with his game 

Had to dress that bit better, be that bit funnier, earn that bit more, shine in your career, have your own place etc etc.. All the dúcks had to be perfectly in a row to even hope to have a level playing field with a NW 1

We've all seen.. At least I have anyway..how easy a time of it average looking NW 1 s seem to have it with attracting and retaining women... I'm talking 8s 9s 10s

I was hopeing I could give you feedback as to how things hsve changed for me with a new hairline framing my face but alas.. COVID struck... Their will probably be a full blown cure for hair loss by the time Tinder lifts its current restrictions on meeting up 😊

• Like 1

Good post Melvin, I’m sure you don’t struggle for dates at all! I bet you have them queuing! 
I personally had looked into and wanted a hair transplant for around 7 years. I think Wayne Rooney had his first HT in 2011 and thats what made me aware of the procedure.

But after my last relationship ended i must admit that played a role in pulling a trigger for a hair transplant.

I found the hair transplant combined with gym has made a huge difference for my confidence and self esteem. I’ve been on dating apps here and there since my mid 20’s but at 32 it’s without doubt the most options I’ve ever had and that’s all thanks to the hair transplant. I joined a couple of dating apps 6 months after my transplant and got way more matches/dates then I expected. It’s been a game changer for sure.

I must add all the dates I’ve had over the past 6 months or so not one of them ever knew I had a hair transplant. A lot of them even say I’ve got good hair which was a first! 

I’ve actually joined tinder since COVID struck and had matches with American women!

Edited by Craig2412
  • Like 1

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, Zoomster said:

Interesting post Melvin.. 

While I felt having my head shaved since my mid 20s didn't particularly hold me back with members of the opposite sex I always felt the bald /balding guy always had to try that bit harder with his game 

Had to dress that bit better, be that bit funnier, earn that bit more, shine in your career, have your own place etc etc.. All the dúcks had to be perfectly in a row to even hope to have a level playing field with a NW 1

We've all seen.. At least I have anyway..how easy a time of it average looking NW 1 s seem to have it with attracting and retaining women... I'm talking 8s 9s 10s

I was hopeing I could give you feedback as to how things hsve changed for me with a new hairline framing my face but alas.. COVID struck... Their will probably be a full blown cure for hair loss by the time Tinder lifts its current restrictions on meeting up 😊

Haha I had no idea Tinder had restrictions as well, we still need to love a little am I right 😂

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Craig2412 said:

Good post Melvin, I’m sure you don’t struggle for dates at all! I bet you have them queuing! 
I personally had looked into and wanted a hair transplant for around 7 years. I think Wayne Rooney had his first HT in 2011 and thats what made me aware of the procedure.

But after my last relationship ended i must admit that played a role in pulling a trigger for a hair transplant.

I found the hair transplant combined with gym has made a huge difference for my confidence and self esteem. I’ve been on dating apps here and there since my mid 20’s but at 32 it’s without doubt the most options I’ve ever had and that’s all thanks to the hair transplant. I joined a couple of dating apps 6 months after my transplant and got way more matches/dates then I expected. It’s been a game changer for sure.

I must add all the dates I’ve had over the past 6 months or so not one of them ever knew I had a hair transplant. A couple even said I’ve got nice hair which is a first! 

I’ve actually joined tinder since COVID struck and had matches with American women!

Hahaha that’s awesome mate, to be honest your transformation has been huge, not only the hair, but the physique as well 💪🏼 

You’d be killing it here in the US, women here love an accent haha. Your story was very similar to mine. Hell you look way younger than 32, attribute that to the hair as well. 

View my thread

7 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Hahaha that’s awesome mate, to be honest your transformation has been huge, not only the hair, but the physique as well 💪🏼 

You’d be killing it here in the US, women here love an accent haha. Your story was very similar to mine. Hell you look way younger than 32, attribute that to the hair as well. 

Thanks Melvin I really appreciate it. The hair transplant gave me the confidence to start the gym and even go at 6am. With my old hair I was so conscious I would never leave the house until I had showered where it looked so awful after sleeping.

I noticed a few guys from my gym saying my chin looks more manly now. But I’ve wondered is that actually related to the hair transplant and framing of the face.

• Like 1

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, Craig2412 said:

Thanks Melvin I really appreciate it. The hair transplant gave me the confidence to start the gym and even go at 6am. With my old hair I was so conscious I would never leave the house until I had showered where it looked so awful after sleeping.

I noticed a few guys from my gym saying my chin looks more manly now. But I’ve wondered is that actually related to the hair transplant and framing of the face.

Yea, your hairline definitely transformed your appearance completely it’s really crazy how much hair matters.

• Like 1

View my thread

This is something that really worries me. I just recently had a mutual breakup with my GF of a few years. Unfortunately my appearance has really gone downhill if I compare it to when I first started dating her. I got on preventative treatment almost 1 year ago, but had I been single all that time I'm sure I would have done something about it a lot sooner. Fucking sucks. I'm only 25 so I'm still fairly young, but I really want to get a hair transplant ASAP (with a good doctor and a conservative treatment plan, mind you) so I can start to be more confident in my appearance again. I feel like there's no point even trying to date until then. Worth mentioning that at the same time, I'm focusing more on hitting the gym and improving my skin care routine, which should hopefully get me to where I want sooner.

Edited by giegnosiganoe

• Administrators
9 hours ago, giegnosiganoe said:

This is something that really worries me. I just recently had a mutual breakup with my GF of a few years. Unfortunately my appearance has really gone downhill if I compare it to when I first started dating her. I got on preventative treatment almost 1 year ago, but had I been single all that time I'm sure I would have done something about it a lot sooner. Fucking sucks. I'm only 25 so I'm still fairly young, but I really want to get a hair transplant ASAP (with a good doctor and a conservative treatment plan, mind you) so I can start to be more confident in my appearance again. I feel like there's no point even trying to date until then. Worth mentioning that at the same time, I'm focusing more on hitting the gym and improving my skin care routine, which should hopefully get me to where I want sooner.

Honestly, take this time to transform yourself, you’re 25 in the literal peak of your life. Live in the gym, get a solid physique, a solid wardrobe, and in the meantime hair loss concealers can help you. Once this is all over, you’ll be able to seek a good surgeon for your hair.

@Craig2412 gotta solid dress game, I’m sure he can give some good tips. I’d also check out YouTubers like Alpha M, TMF and Alex Costa. 

• Like 4

View my thread

This is a great topic Melvin. For me personally, it had a huge effect on my confidence. I think in part with dating in a large city like Chicago, it's a "competitive market" so you want to be on your A game as far as appearance is concerned. Like others have stated, dress and personality are things I used to compensate and did find some success with it.

Though after my transplants, my confidence has gone way up and there has definitely been more matches for sure. I think it's a case by case basis with some guys who don't mind shaving their heads versus us who seek a full head of hair. Personally hearing when something compliments me on my hair or facial features as a result of the illusion of how you're face is more well framed is priceless to me.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, makehairgreatagain said:

This is a great topic Melvin. For me personally, it had a huge effect on my confidence. I think in part with dating in a large city like Chicago, it's a "competitive market" so you want to be on your A game as far as appearance is concerned. Like others have stated, dress and personality are things I used to compensate and did find some success with it.

Though after my transplants, my confidence has gone way up and there has definitely been more matches for sure. I think it's a case by case basis with some guys who don't mind shaving their heads versus us who seek a full head of hair. Personally hearing when something compliments me on my hair or facial features as a result of the illusion of how you're face is more well framed is priceless to me.

Absolutely, online dating is superficial. I mean women discriminate more than men for sure. Being bald will automatically limit your dating pool, it’s just the way it is, but that doesn’t mean you won’t be able to get dates, it’s just limited. Sometimes bald heads can work, particularly for those guys with dark skin. 

I was considering doing a test for YouTube to see how many matches I get with bald vs with hair. I have a gf now though, so it may not fly lol. I don’t think I’ve seen anything like that before.

D00F322C-BFF1-41CA-A038-971A39BA108D.jpeg

98839BF8-3A19-41BC-9998-6BA74D80C159.jpeg

View my thread

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Absolutely, online dating is superficial. I mean women discriminate more than men for sure. Being bald will automatically limit your dating pool, it’s just the way it is, but that doesn’t mean you won’t be able to get dates, it’s just limited. Sometimes bald heads can work, particularly for those guys with dark skin. 

I was considering doing a test for YouTube to see how many matches I get with bald vs with hair. I have a gf now though, so it may not fly lol. I don’t think I’ve seen anything like that before.

D00F322C-BFF1-41CA-A038-971A39BA108D.jpeg

98839BF8-3A19-41BC-9998-6BA74D80C159.jpeg

Try and convince your girlfriend and do the test Melvin! 
Be very interesting to see how much percentage the second photo outweighs the first as you look great in the second photo.

If not I would be happy to send 2 photos with head shaved vs with hair. 

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, Craig2412 said:

Try and convince your girlfriend and do the test Melvin! 
Be very interesting to see how much percentage the second photo outweighs the first as you look great in the second photo.

If not I would be happy to send 2 photos with head shaved vs with hair. 

Haha that would be awesome man, honestly I think I’d get very little likes bald. I’m gonna try, if I do, I’d sticky it on here. After all, that’s why most men get a hair transplant.

View my thread

3 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Haha that would be awesome man, honestly I think I’d get very little likes bald. I’m gonna try, if I do, I’d sticky it on here. After all, that’s why most men get a hair transplant.

Yes Melvin, I think there would be a lot of guys interested to see the results of this. Even if you just set up 2 tinder profiles at the same time and you have the counter in the corner for amount of likes. Do it! 

• Administrators

The problem is I really only have like two pictures bald. I’ve lost them all since changing phones etc. I’ll try and see if I can dig any up.

View my thread

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Craig2412 said:

Yes Melvin, I think there would be a lot of guys interested to see the results of this. Even if you just set up 2 tinder profiles at the same time and you have the counter in the corner for amount of likes. Do it! 

Hahaha I’m gonna try man, definitely gotta run it by my girl lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

View my thread

• Moderators
On 4/17/2020 at 2:17 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Being bald absolutely limits your dating pool especially if you are under 35 or so. Women discriminate based on what a mans hair looks like a lot more than they will admit to. I believe the reason is that while women can put on makeup and dress sexy to be more sexually attractive to men, men are much more limited in what they can do to attract women. Most men all basically look the same when you go to a club or bar because they are all wearing the same type of clothes that covers their whole bodies. The only thing that is really distinctively sexually attractive that women can see is a mans face and hair and we all know that less hair not only makes you look bald but also changes the entire look of your face to be less attractive. That's why with hair transplants everyone always says to frame the face because that's what is noticed first and will give you the biggest appearance change.

I do have experience with dating being both bald and with hair. When I was in high school at ages 15, 16, 17 I was getting lots of comments from girls saying I was cute and sending love notes with hearts and stuff.... you know... what high school girls do when they like a guy. I lost my hair really fast and by age 19 I was already a NW 5 and if I even tried to talk to someone around my age or even a few years older I was told I should date someone closer to my age or to stop trying to rob the cradle and girls would give me nasty looks and telling their friends things like "Ewww. Can you believe this creepy old guy was hitting on me". The women who were coming on to me were in their 40's. That was more than twice as old as I was. When I turned 21 I got a hair system and I was suddenly the cute guy again and had young women looking at me and even asking me out. I went out with a very pretty woman about the same age as me that I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten a few months prior to that when I looked bald. Even a hair dresser at the clinic where I went for cleaning and refitting every 6 weeks came in the room to help another girl put the system back on me and said when it was done "Wow. You look like you are 20 years old now". I was 21. How old did she think I was when she saw me bald 5 minutes ago? And that is someone who works at a hair system clinic! Of course when I got rid of the hair system less than a year after first getting it, I was back to being the creepy old ugly guy again with only women over 40 or fat, ugly women interested. The only date I had in over a years time was with someone who was over 20 years older than me.

Before you start thinking I was probably more confident with the hair system I will tell you that is absolutely not true. I hated it!. It made me sick to my stomach just thinking I had some fake mop on my head. I'd be running into the bathrooms all the time where ever I was because I was so sick thinking it was noticeable. I was so glad to get rid of it. As bad as I've looked over the years from all the transplant scars, I don't ever wear a hat to cover it. I never felt my hair loss had anything to do with self confidence.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

Being bald absolutely limits your dating pool especially if you are under 35 or so. Women discriminate based on what a mans hair looks like a lot more than they will admit to. I believe the reason is that while women can put on makeup and dress sexy to be more sexually attractive to men, men are much more limited in what they can do to attract women. Most men all basically look the same when you go to a club or bar because they are all wearing the same type of clothes that covers their whole bodies. The only thing that is really distinctively sexually attractive that women can see is a mans face and hair and we all know that less hair not only makes you look bald but also changes the entire look of your face to be less attractive. That's why with hair transplants everyone always says to frame the face because that's what is noticed first and will give you the biggest appearance change.

I do have experience with dating being both bald and with hair. When I was in high school at ages 15, 16, 17 I was getting lots of comments from girls saying I was cute and sending love notes with hearts and stuff.... you know... what high school girls do when they like a guy. I lost my hair really fast and by age 19 I was already a NW 5 and if I even tried to talk to someone around my age or even a few years older I was told I should date someone closer to my age or to stop trying to rob the cradle and girls would give me nasty looks and telling their friends things like "Ewww. Can you believe this creepy old guy was hitting on me". The women who were coming on to me were in their 40's. That was more than twice as old as I was. When I turned 21 I got a hair system and I was suddenly the cute guy again and had young women looking at me and even asking me out. I went out with a very pretty woman about the same age as me that I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten a few months prior to that when I looked bald. Even a hair dresser at the clinic where I went for cleaning and refitting every 6 weeks came in the room to help another girl put the system back on me and said when it was done "Wow. You look like you are 20 years old now". I was 21. How old did she think I was when she saw me bald 5 minutes ago? And that is someone who works at a hair system clinic! Of course when I got rid of the hair system less than a year after first getting it, I was back to being the creepy old ugly guy again with only women over 40 or fat, ugly women interested. The only date I had in over a years time was with someone who was over 20 years older than me.

Before you start thinking I was probably more confident with the hair system I will tell you that is absolutely not true. I hated it!. It made me sick to my stomach just thinking I had some fake mop on my head. I'd be running into the bathrooms all the time where ever I was because I was so sick thinking it was noticeable. I was so glad to get rid of it. As bad as I've looked over the years from all the transplant scars, I don't ever wear a hat to cover it. I never felt my hair loss had anything to do with self confidence.

Very insightful, and true. To be bald at such a young age is truly devastating. That’s why I understand young kids losing their hair desperately want a hair transplant. Given the choice, everyone would rather go bald by 50 than 20. 

I also agree, that there’s not much men can do to really stick out, aside from dressing well, and having a good physique. That said, hair is the number one thing that transforms a face, both on your head and facial hair.

Take a look at Jon Heder, he looks unrecognizable, and the only thing that’s changed is his hair and facial hair. As men, maximizing our hair is essential. I think facial hair can make a huge difference as well, particularly when guys don’t have the strongest features, it can give the illusion of having stronger features, funny how hair works that way. 

image.jpeg

View my thread

It’s absolutely night and day difference after a hair transplant!!

i always did pretty well on the dating scene from 17 to 23 always ended up with a nice girl on a night out and dated different girls most weeks for years even though I was clearly losing my hair,  which  I hated especially when people pointed it out which was pretty much on a daily basis!!

i had good chat and was ok looking but my downfall for confidence and appearance was the lack of a hairline and facial framing!!

Then I met my now wife, but when going out with my friends even when in a relationship or married you still get a feel for things in terms of girls looking at you, coming over to talk or when in a group conversation making it obvious they are attracted to you. And that definitely changed all my friends had full heads of hair and I felt the odd one out and embarrassed which no one would ever have know as I come across as extremely confident but inside I would be so self conscious and paranoid it often ruined my getting ready for nights out and sometimes the night itself!!

i started to lose my hair really young at like 17 and always had a high hairline which had receded quite badly but I had long hair in curtains as was the fashion in the early 90s and was known for this haircut!! by 20 I had a reverse widows peak so the middle bit went further back and made trying to style your hair really difficult!!  

I had a Ht at 38 after trying the shaved head for a few years and then growing my hair back but getting to a stage where it looked pretty bad and I can categorically say that 6 months later even when I kept my hair shaved down I noticed more and more attention start and when on nights out girls would now come over and I got tons more compliments from random girls on nights out! I obviously have never acted on any of these as I’m happily married with 2 children and I’m now nearly 45 years old and even now at my age I still get plenty of attention when out with guys much younger than me and with full heads of hair as I am no longer the odd one out!! Weirdly even from much younger than me girls who you would think would be more interested in the younger single guys I’m with??

but for all the younger guys or single guys the difference really has been night and day! Yeah confidence helps but if you see a difference before you even speak to people then that has to be down to the change in your appearance. And I’m happy to admit it’s still a nice feeling that other people other than your partner finds you attractive!!

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 4:32 PM, hairshopeing said:

It’s absolutely night and day difference after a hair transplant!!

i always did pretty well on the dating scene from 17 to 23 always ended up with a nice girl on a night out and dated different girls most weeks for years even though I was clearly losing my hair,  which  I hated especially when people pointed it out which was pretty much on a daily basis!!

i had good chat and was ok looking but my downfall for confidence and appearance was the lack of a hairline and facial framing!!

Then I met my now wife, but when going out with my friends even when in a relationship or married you still get a feel for things in terms of girls looking at you, coming over to talk or when in a group conversation making it obvious they are attracted to you. And that definitely changed all my friends had full heads of hair and I felt the odd one out and embarrassed which no one would ever have know as I come across as extremely confident but inside I would be so self conscious and paranoid it often ruined my getting ready for nights out and sometimes the night itself!!

i started to lose my hair really young at like 17 and always had a high hairline which had receded quite badly but I had long hair in curtains as was the fashion in the early 90s and was known for this haircut!! by 20 I had a reverse widows peak so the middle bit went further back and made trying to style your hair really difficult!!  

I had a Ht at 38 after trying the shaved head for a few years and then growing my hair back but getting to a stage where it looked pretty bad and I can categorically say that 6 months later even when I kept my hair shaved down I noticed more and more attention start and when on nights out girls would now come over and I got tons more compliments from random girls on nights out! I obviously have never acted on any of these as I’m happily married with 2 children and I’m now nearly 45 years old and even now at my age I still get plenty of attention when out with guys much younger than me and with full heads of hair as I am no longer the odd one out!! Weirdly even from much younger than me girls who you would think would be more interested in the younger single guys I’m with??

but for all the younger guys or single guys the difference really has been night and day! Yeah confidence helps but if you see a difference before you even speak to people then that has to be down to the change in your appearance. And I’m happy to admit it’s still a nice feeling that other people other than your partner finds you attractive!!

Thx for all of this input. 

any chance you posted a result thread for your HT