Results - 3200 FUT into front third with Scott Alexander

Five months in.  Good progress in the last month as it is thickening up and growing longer. I haven't cut the top in two months now. The back and sides are cut at a 2.5 guard. I can still see the scar in photos with bathroom light on, but in normal light it's almost undetectable.

Still doing Rogaine and off finasteride for now. We'll see how things go for the next month, but I think I'll want one more surgery to add a bit to the temples and front and to fill in the crown.

front_150days.jpg

top_150days.jpg

left_150days.jpg

right_150days.jpg

back_150days.jpg

crown_150days.png

Oh yeah! Looks like you got great yield! It's filling in very evenly in the frontal third, even just at 5 months.  I will encourage to try to get back on Fin if you can.  As a NW6 you want to make sure that you maintain your lateral humps, those could easily recede and leave you with an extremely large bald area that will be impossible to cover with HT's.  It'll also keep your donor hair healthy and strong. Happy growing, everything is looking really good as of now!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

On 8/23/2020 at 5:44 PM, aaron1234 said:

Oh yeah! Looks like you got great yield! It's filling in very evenly in the frontal third, even just at 5 months.  I will encourage to try to get back on Fin if you can.  As a NW6 you want to make sure that you maintain your lateral humps, those could easily recede and leave you with an extremely large bald area that will be impossible to cover with HT's.  It'll also keep your donor hair healthy and strong. Happy growing, everything is looking really good as of now!

Thank you aaron1234! I'm working my way onto medication for anxiety and then I'll start back on fin. What have you learned/heard about stabilization of hair loss? I kept my head shaved for so long I am unsure if I'm still losing.

I assume I am still, but I was surprised at how much hair was left on top once it grew out again.

I just go by what I see.  I sectioned off the bottom of your crown and it's clear that within this area the hairs are miniaturized and without medication will eventually be bald.  It could recede even lower than what I indicated as I see thin spots in your donor.  Even with medication, you might still lose that hair.  But the only fighting chance the hair in that area has is if you stay on fin.  Even if you do half the dosage, or alternate days, that's better than nothing.  

crown_150days.png.aa4c981dabc82343a69904bf09c54e16.png.249fdddc6d3fd1ae5c88358cf194474c.png

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

1 hour ago, aaron1234 said:

I just go by what I see.  I sectioned off the bottom of your crown and it's clear that within this area the hairs are miniaturized and without medication will eventually be bald.  It could recede even lower than what I indicated as I see thin spots in your donor.  Even with medication, you might still lose that hair.  But the only fighting chance the hair in that area has is if you stay on fin.  Even if you do half the dosage, or alternate days, that's better than nothing.  

You see my worries very well. I realized after the surgery how bad my donor area is. There is absolutely thinning in the back and there weren't a lot of non-single grafts on the first surgery.

I've considered going the SMP route after assessing where I'm at in a year or two. I do have a good head shape and a quality SMP place where I live.

4 hours ago, baldforalongtime said:

I've considered going the SMP route after assessing where I'm at in a year or two. I do have a good head shape and a quality SMP place where I live.

It's great to have that option in the end.  But there is no equal to hair, especially native hair.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 5:03 AM, HairFunk said:

Looking good at this stage!

How often are you taking Fin? 

I stopped for two months as I was having really bad anxiety...which we couldn't determine was quarantine, working from home, or the fin.

I'm back on fin now for two weeks and we'll see what happens. Fingers crossed

Looking great!  Really hope you can keep on fin this time.  I'd venture to guess the longevity of this great result depends on it.  

• Administrators

Your scar is remarkable, even with really short hair, impossible to detect. Happy for you man 🥳 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, naakmuka said:

@baldforalongtime - Any update? Its been a month! Looking forward to it.

Here we go...month 7. I had my checkup with Dr Alexander and he is very pleased with the result...as am I.

Random items:

• I found out that of the 3200 grafts, ~2200 were doubles
  • I'm back on Finasteride for over a month now. So far so good. Still on Rogaine from the beginning
  • The scar is still really good. I hope it continues to fade, but I've done haircuts as low as 2.5 and the grain of the hair is only a slight giveaway

I asked Dr Alexander when we could do the crown and he wants another check up at the year mark. I don't see much difference other than length in the past two months. I hope to get more thickness for the next few months, but am happy and leaning heavily to doing the crown next year.

I'm curious about cutting the top shorter. I am definitely getting the combover look on the crown and up top when my hair is wet. I typically comb my hair wet and then wait 20 minutes for it to dry and brush it out.

front_7mo.png

top_7mo.png

left_7mo.png

right_7mo.png

back_7mo.png

crown_7mo.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

This looks pretty amazing considering your hair loss level and donor 👏🏼

7B496CE5-EACD-4E4A-AD13-37EE3C97BBF5.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 8:14 AM, baldforalongtime said:

9 months update. Haven't had a cut in the last two months. Letting it grow until I have to go back to work in April, just to see what it looks like longer. Well, if I start dating again I may get a cut 😉

front_9mo.png

top_9mo.png

left_9mo.png

right_9mo.png

back_9mo.png

crown_9mo.png

Your scar looks really good, even despite the donor area being a little thin.  Well done.  

Your results are great so far. I think the biggest thing working against you is that you style your hair wet. Wet or even the wet look makes our hair look thinner and makes it easier to see skin underneath. Try towel or blow drying your hair, then style with a product that makes the hair look dry and matte. I use wax (just use a little, too much will make it look wet) or styling powder and both make my hair look noticeably fuller when compared to styling it wet or with products with a wet look. 

15 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

Your results are great so far. I think the biggest thing working against you is that you style your hair wet. Wet or even the wet look makes our hair look thinner and makes it easier to see skin underneath. Try towel or blow drying your hair, then style with a product that makes the hair look dry and matte. I use wax (just use a little, too much will make it look wet) or styling powder and both make my hair look noticeably fuller when compared to styling it wet or with products with a wet look. 

Thanks for the feedback...and I agree. I comb it wet, using Rogaine foam as the holding agent. I then let it dry; followed by brushing it out to break up the clumps. I still get the bunched hairs and see through to the scalp.

I've thought of going shorter again to try to get better shingling. What wax do you use? I'll try it and take pictures.

5 hours ago, FollicleFanatic said:

Your scar looks really good, even despite the donor area being a little thin.  Well done.  

Thanks! I'm coming up on the year mark and am trying to decide on doing the crown. I like being able to go as short as I do on the sides as it slims up my roundish face, but have been told the second surgery usually leaves a bigger scar.