Hair Graft dying prior to implantation?

chris345

I recently had 1500 FUE (temple and hairline) done at a reputable clinic in North America. 

The FUE extraction was done by a tech (Who has worked for the surgeon/ clinic since the early 1990s). During the extraction, the surgeon checked in periodically and made mention to ensure my graft were better soaked in the medium while they awaited the second tech to view them under the microscope and prepare for insertion. I was face down on the table and had taken an ativan prior to procedure, so I don't know exact timings.

Am I being paranoid or could grafts have died prior to even implantation because of this? (i.e not "soaked" properly, or awaiting the second tech- who was in and out of the room?) This clinic has a great reputation on here and I paid good money. I have attached me post day 7, no shedding or loss; I saw the surgeon post day 1,2,3 and he said everything looks good. Will there be no way to know until the 12 month mark? 

postop-7.jpg

Really no way to be 100% sure until the growth starts coming in. But if you went to a reputable clinic, the chances are on your side. I’m guessing it’s h&w since you said a tech extracted and some other clues. From what I’ve read they run like a Swiss watch there. Try to take it easy and enjoy the ride.

13 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

Really no way to be 100% sure until the growth starts coming in. But if you went to a reputable clinic, the chances are on your side. I’m guessing it’s h&w since you said a tech extracted and some other clues. From what I’ve read they run like a Swiss watch there. Try to take it easy and enjoy the ride.

Thank you, I am probably being neurotic. If the graft(s) was/were dead, would they not fall out pretty early on? 

Also can toppik and derm-match be used 14 days out from the procedure, provided I wash it off at night? 

• Moderators

Without knowing any additional details of what happened it could be simply the Dr and tech discussing what to do which is normal. For example when I was having my FUE done, as they remove a graft they would place it down and then remove the next one and place that one down next to the first, etc creating a small pile of grafts. Then the Dr would say something like "Ok. Let's get them in solution before they dry out" and the tech would pick them all up and take them. Or he'd say something like "Squirt some solution on these" while they are still taking some grafts out and placing them in the pile. So it could have been just some simple conversation between them about what's going on. As I said I don't have any other details on our specific issue, but if that's what it sounded like then it's totally normal. You want them talking to each other about how best to take care of your grafts.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

13 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Without knowing any additional details of what happened it could be simply the Dr and tech discussing what to do which is normal. For example when I was having my FUE done, as they remove a graft they would place it down and then remove the next one and place that one down next to the first, etc creating a small pile of grafts. Then the Dr would say something like "Ok. Let's get them in solution before they dry out" and the tech would pick them all up and take them. Or he'd say something like "Squirt some solution on these" while they are still taking some grafts out and placing them in the pile. So it could have been just some simple conversation between them about what's going on. As I said I don't have any other details on our specific issue, but if that's what it sounded like then it's totally normal. You want them talking to each other about how best to take care of your grafts.

Thanks for your comments BeHappy. I imagine with the number of procedures done by this clinic that my grafts are should be okay. I will shoot them a quick email and ask. Anyways here is the most recent recipient site photo. 

current.jpg

Given it's a reputable clinic, your account of what you experienced doesn't seem too out of the ordinary... Except for the technicians doing the extracting. That's something only the surgeon should be doing, but from my experience here, a lot of patients tend to confuse the actual extraction of the grafts with the technician who follows behind the surgeon and lifts them to set them aside... It's likely that's what was happening here, and if the conversation you heard was something BeHappy mentioned, that's a good sign that the surgeon is effectively communicating with his team so that you achieve optimal results. 

And while there's no way to know for sure how your results will turn out until they actually do, your photos look fantastic and the work looks extremely clean. If I were you, I wouldn't stress about anything at all. :) 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Hopefully the grafts were hydrated properly which is always important.  I’m sure you will be fine.  Send us some pictures in 3-4 months. Happy growing.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks gentlemen! 

I contacted the clinic and they said my procedure went smoothly and they have never had any issues with prior patients' grafts being compromised prior to implantation. 

Its basically day 14 post op and I finally gave myself a shower and touched my recipient area. Lots of scabs, I am sure my grafts will start to shed; nothing has really fallen out so far it seems.

I will definitely be posting 3-4 month updates. (see attached pic: 14 days post op- sorry for the two hair lengths, the recipient area was trimmed shorter pre-op). The grafts look like they have grown. 

day-14.jpg

Be gentle while showering and don't rub too hard on those scabs.  Most will come off naturally.  I was a bit too aggressive after my first surgery and actually scratched my scalp with hardened scabs. Because my head was so numb, I didn't feel it.  Wasn't a big deal but I just wanted to warn you to be gentle.  Your head has a lot of anesthesia in that area and will be numb for quite some time.  Looking forward to future pictures.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, chris345 said:

21 day update. some light shedding (was expecting more)

I’m 20 days post op. Looks normal Chris 

• 2 weeks later...

You can compare your results with mine on my web site.  I chronicled the entire event and still post pictures every other week.  My website is posted below.  Just go to the archives to September 2012 and start from there.  Everyone's progress is different but you can find many similarities as well.  Best of luck.

• Administrators

I hope you will share your journey with us, and eventually name the clinic. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 9:26 AM, JohnCasper said:

You can compare your results with mine on my web site.  I chronicled the entire event and still post pictures every other week.  My website is posted below.  Just go to the archives to September 2012 and start from there.  Everyone's progress is different but you can find many similarities as well.  Best of luck.

John I don’t see any updates on your site?