The very worst Shock Loss

On 1/13/2020 at 8:07 AM, DonorGuy said:

I had pretty bad shock loss, most likely due to localized anesthesia, general trauma and reduced blood flow to the area secondary to it most likely being directed to donor and recipient sites for repair. Shock loss should recover if in an area where the hair is DHT resistant. It is now however in a telogen state and could remain there for quite some time. I found many things that could help and explained them in my post. Feel free to check it out. It is not medical advice however and you should ask your doctor before trying any of the treatments I used. '

Just had a read through - thanks for this! I’m on biotin supplements already so definitely worth adding to. Also the clinic gave me a laser comb, did you ever try that? Obviously difficult to know what works with multiple remedies but v happy to try the machine gun approach.

6 hours ago, Sybutwhy? said:

I have a bit of this too - particularly bad on the left side. Tbh yours really doesn’t look too bad, but I have patchy hair on the sides of my head anyway so it sort of blends for me.
From what I’ve seen shock loss at the back from FUE recovers quickly, would definitely grow it if I were you - will look fine a bit longer!

Yeah but that means you have to grow the top aswell and I cannot sport the balding look, id rather shave it off, which I did. Also Minoxidl seems to be easier to apply with a shaved scalp and I can now see my scars which really arent too bad I think. Really hoping the top will thicken up with HT and my regimen of 5ar blockers and anti androgens. 

4B1CBC0C-B927-4866-A01F-F5BF92370705.jpeg

AED2974B-ADD8-4C5F-A59E-E528DA9B9C9A.jpeg

6 hours ago, Sybutwhy? said:

Just had a read through - thanks for this! I’m on biotin supplements already so definitely worth adding to. Also the clinic gave me a laser comb, did you ever try that? Obviously difficult to know what works with multiple remedies but v happy to try the machine gun approach.

I was going to buy one laser cap to increase recovery.
From what I read, the best should be Irestore and capillus.
Capillus is a little pricey. The best Irestore is as much expensive as the worst capillus.

9 minutes ago, Blackweasel said:

Yeah but that means you have to grow the top aswell and I cannot sport the balding look, id rather shave it off, which I did. Also Minoxidl seems to be easier to apply with a shaved scalp and I can now see my scars which really arent too bad I think. Really hoping the top will thicken up with HT and my regimen of 5ar blockers and anti androgens. 

4B1CBC0C-B927-4866-A01F-F5BF92370705.jpeg

AED2974B-ADD8-4C5F-A59E-E528DA9B9C9A.jpeg

Ah I had it part shaven so still have a lot on top to cover up. Except for the massive missing patches...

You’re a fair bit more tanned than I am so it looks okay - can’t really buzz mine as redness is still horrendous.

Damn pasty skin.

7 minutes ago, duchaine said:

I was going to buy one laser cap to increase recovery.
From what I read, the best should be Irestore and capillus.
Capillus is a little pricey. The best Irestore is as much expensive as the worst capillus.

Mine is the hairmax laser comb - far as I can see it’s the cheapest one, but reading up the science is exactly the same for all of them, just the caps take less time. Though the comb makes the most annoyingly loud bleep every 4 seconds that I wish I’d paid a few hundred quid for a cap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sybutwhy? said:

Ah I had it part shaven so still have a lot on top to cover up. Except for the massive missing patches...

You’re a fair bit more tanned than I am so it looks okay - can’t really buzz mine as redness is still horrendous.

Damn pasty skin.

I wonder if swimming in Saltwater can be beneficial for redness and healing scars. I read some HT surgeons used to recommend it, others say to avoid so am unsure at this point. I did swim in some freshwater flowing creeks without issue 1.5 month post op.

6 minutes ago, Blackweasel said:

I wonder if swimming in Saltwater can be beneficial for redness and healing scars. I read some HT surgeons used to recommend it, others say to avoid so am unsure at this point. I did swim in some freshwater flowing creeks without issue 1.5 month post op.

Got to be worth a go, but my surgeon (won’t name him but the most famous in the UK...) basically said that it will grow when it grows, didnt dissuade me from trying remedies but spelled out they’re unlikely to do anything and I’ll be fine either way.

but... heard aloe vera works a treat, also T Gel?

Edited by Sybutwhy?

1 hour ago, Sybutwhy? said:

Got to be worth a go, but my surgeon (won’t name him but the most famous in the UK...) basically said that it will grow when it grows, didnt dissuade me from trying remedies but spelled out they’re unlikely to do anything and I’ll be fine either way.

but... heard aloe vera works a treat, also T Gel?

I use plenty of Aloe vera. I also apply it to my face before I apply Minoxidl to mask the face if minoxidl drips. Hopefully stops wrinkles and black eye sockets developing. One can only try....

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 7:46 PM, Sybutwhy? said:

Just an update - it’s 7 weeks since the op and 4 since all my bloody hair fell out. 
I think I can see a few new hairs and blackening of follicles that haven’t come through, but I have been obsessed with this for a month (and I have to cake my head in makeup) so probably imagining it.

I’m on minox and using a laser comb 2-3 times a week. Also on Boots hair supplements for whatever that’s worth, they taste really nice though.

923A2FA6-D570-4E69-9A46-D21F0060AA96.png

Update for anyone that’s interested! 

Think I can see a lot more hairs now - all tiny but given it’s only really 6 weeks since the shock loss kicked in it is really promising...

Absolutely hate applying/removing makeup every day - I’m hoping in a month or so there’ll be enough density to get a no.2 cut on the back & sides and leave it alone for a while.

25A6144C-6EDB-4A22-9277-F30F8BFE3A5A.png

Edited by Sybutwhy?

• Administrators

Honestly, that looks like alopecia areata, your surgeon should give you a steroid injection. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Honestly, that looks like alopecia areata, your surgeon should give you a steroid injection. 

Surgeon has checked me under a microscope - specifically for alopecia areata and confident it’s shock loss - what makes you think it isn’t? As above, it’s around 6 weeks since the loss kicked in and follicles already regrowing but everything I read online suggests 6 months+ if it were alopecia.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Sybutwhy? said:

Surgeon has checked me under a microscope - specifically for alopecia areata and confident it’s shock loss - what makes you think it isn’t? As above, it’s around 6 weeks since the loss kicked in and follicles already regrowing but everything I read online suggests 6 months+ if it were alopecia.

The area is void of any hair, it has the classic signs of alopecia areata, small circular patches of hair loss. I would consult with a dermatologist. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

40 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

The area is void of any hair, it has the classic signs of alopecia areata, small circular patches of hair loss. I would consult with a dermatologist. 

Surgeon had seen loss like this before - only a handful of times, checked area for scarring and looked at my post op pics where the concentration (and duration) of bruising on my left side showed trauma consistent with shock loss. Will definitely consult a dermatologist if there are any issues, but as per the pics above - significant regrowth in the last 2-3 weeks (now better than recipient area).

Hi (anyone)

So ignoring the possibility that I developed a hereditary autoimmune disorder exactly 2 weeks after my transplant and only in the recipient and donor areas...

does anyone have any experience they can share in hair “maturation”? As above, almost/if not all my shock loss (or alopecia!) has returned and in the recipient area I seem to be doing okay - but all the hairs are naturally very thin/fine, especially nearer the front. See pic attached where you can see the contrast in thickness and colour with non-transplanted hairs nearby.

I have been fully expecting it to take 6+ months before seeing anything that could be called progress so not getting hopes up, but if anyone can share their experience on what happens to these little hairs from now on it’d make for interesting reading!

Thanks

4A9731EB-7C0B-4234-AE85-52FDBE95ADBF.png

Also - you can sort of see here  that I did suffer shock loss in the hairline and on both sides, didn’t really focus upon it as the big bald spot was far more of an issue! 

Again - the areas are now covered with thin baby hairs so seemingly recovering well, it’s only 9.5 weeks after op and 7 weeks after loss kicked in so the surgeon was right on recovery timelines.

9E22829C-6B14-4F27-B471-3AF0304DA584.png

Edited by Sybutwhy?

16 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

It looks like it’s coming back. It’s a slow process so try to remain as patient as you can. I know it sucks. Maybe add some supplements to speed up growth? Things like biotin msm silica etc

Yeah I’m on Biotin and a laser comb which I feel are speeding things up. The comb gets really great reviews but isn’t mentioned too much on here?

Haha -  patience is the hardest bit! Suppose I’m asking as I’m desperate to buzz the back and sides of my head where the contrast between native and new hairs is stark/difficult to cover. It’s getting easier every day but as soon as they’re thick enough I can make my head less... lopsided.

• 2 weeks later...

11 weeks on from the op and 8.5 since shock kicked in. Pretty much complete coverage now but visually hair is still very fine and short compared to unaffected areas. Recovery is better than transplanted areas where regrowth is more sporadic.

Using less & less makeup and hoping I’ll be able to stop that in a few weeks. Thank ****.

Overall, pretty emotional little period! Jumping the gun a bit but (the more helpful...) comments here were greatly appreciated chaps.

0067EB8F-505E-46E5-9C3E-A386377987E5.png

Edited by Sybutwhy?
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Glad it worked out and hope you keep updating until it’s 100% recovered.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 12:02 PM, Guano said:

Good to hear dude. Looks like its all coming back and at only 11 weeks! should have a denser regrowth in the coming months, at least you can put some of your worries behind you. 

Thanks! Yeah it’s coming along great - all things considered my hair overall is probably as good as  pre-op - although I do have to style it in a ridiculous 90’s David beckham parting to cover the recipient.

Haha yes there were some worries... Not helped by a couple of surprisingly unhelpful* replies above. Suppose the lesson is trust the surgeon!

*would speak more strongly but he can ban me and above All else this is supposed to be educational

On 3/7/2020 at 8:56 PM, Tbcruz said:

Glad it worked out and hope you keep updating until it’s 100% recovered.

Cheers mate!

Not much change but see below a pic from earlier this week - seems to be getting thicker/darker every day but I don’t photograph/obsess about it as much. 

56679F88-3C25-400B-8905-86B2F859CE38.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sybutwhy? said:

Cheers mate!

Not much change but see below a pic from earlier this week - seems to be getting thicker/darker every day but I don’t photograph/obsess about it as much. 

56679F88-3C25-400B-8905-86B2F859CE38.png

Yeah man looks like its slowling coming back, its a decent amount to work with.. i reckon it'll take a while for all of the hair to fully grow back - maybe around the 6 month mark.. but for now its good thats its filled in, plus i dont think people will notice that much anymore

17 hours ago, Guano said:

Yeah man looks like its slowling coming back, its a decent amount to work with.. i reckon it'll take a while for all of the hair to fully grow back - maybe around the 6 month mark.. but for now its good thats its filled in, plus i dont think people will notice that much anymore

I’ve actually developed an absurd amount of greys in/around the area so I can get away with brushing them back and just looking a bit... old. I think if I cut my hair short it wouldn’t be noticeable at all but decided to grow it all out for 6 months as it’ll take at least that long for the recipient area to develop. Plus my sole objective from the hair transplant is having shoulder length hair - I hate hair cuts.

How are you getting on btw? Hope all is good with yours!

On 3/14/2020 at 7:01 AM, Sybutwhy? said:

I’ve actually developed an absurd amount of greys in/around the area so I can get away with brushing them back and just looking a bit... old. I think if I cut my hair short it wouldn’t be noticeable at all but decided to grow it all out for 6 months as it’ll take at least that long for the recipient area to develop. Plus my sole objective from the hair transplant is having shoulder length hair - I hate hair cuts.

How are you getting on btw? Hope all is good with yours!

Yeah I was going to suggest cutting it short but if you're not a fan I guess you'll just have to bite the bullet and wait it out. In saying that, it still doesn't look noticeable in its current state.

Everything seems to be on-track, my natives are also coming back slowly. They are very faint in thickness and colour but they are visible under bright light. I'm hoping it'll improve in the coming weeks, sorta getting over wearing toppik lol.