Despairing over shock loss.. Need advice!

Hello,

I've underwent a hair transplant 3+ months ago and have encountered an issue which is leaving me really anxious and depressed about. At 3 months, I feel that I am on track as the areas that my doctor implanted into have sprouted grafts and I can now see a faint outline of my new hairline. The troubling thing is that I might be experiencing a terrible bout of shock loss in the recipient area. Attached are photos of me before the op, after the op and at present (3 months 18 days post op). You will be able to notice that the bald spots I have now used to house plenty of native hairs. I am worried that the loss will be permanent and that I'll end up looking balder than I did before the transplant. 

Will really appreciate if anyone could share their experiences with shock loss similar to mine and any actions I could take to resolve this.

The first two pictures were taken with a front facing camera and you'll notice that the right side of the photo (right side of my head) depicts what I'm talking about. The third photo was taken normally and you'll notice the bald spots on the left side of the photo, particularly near the corners.

1st pic: Present

2nd pic: Pre-op

3rd pic: Present

20181004_110129.jpg

20181004_110856.jpg

20181002_195031.jpg

Edited by Leftwithrope
Clarification

• Administrators

How many grafts were transplanted to that area? Chances are that even if the “shocked” hairs don’t grow back you’ll have enough transplanted hair to make uo the difference. With that said, this is notmal and you always look worse before you look better.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

Shock loss is normal. You just have to deal with it until it grows back in.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

20 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

How many grafts were transplanted to that area? Chances are that even if the “shocked” hairs don’t grow back you’ll have enough transplanted hair to make uo the difference. With that said, this is notmal and you always look worse before you look better.

2500 grafts. The thing that worries me is that my doctor planted at a lower density around my native hairs, so if they were not to return, the results wouldn't look good at all. I've been scouring Google for examples of shock loss which grew back but so far, there seems to no concrete example. Could healthy and non-miniaturized hair shock out too?

It’s possible that non-miniaturized hairs were shocked out, but likely that they will return with time.  Minoxidil is the only treatment you can employ besides waiting, it’s a growth stimulator.  Are you on finasteride?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Leftwithrope said:

2500 grafts. The thing that worries me is that my doctor planted at a lower density around my native hairs, so if they were not to return, the results wouldn't look good at all. I've been scouring Google for examples of shock loss which grew back but so far, there seems to no concrete example. Could healthy and non-miniaturized hair shock out too?

That’s more than enough grafts, don’t worry within a few months things will start improving.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Don't despair, hair transplanted between existing hair can sometimes receive temporary shock loss from the trauma while the body heals, it will re-emerge and grow in your natural hair cycle.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I dont know that I have ever seen anyone not eventually bounce back that didn't have necrosis, however, I can sympathize with your anxiety. That's a pretty solid case of shock. I feel confident that you will bounce back. 

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

On 10/6/2018 at 10:31 PM, Curious said:

It’s possible that non-miniaturized hairs were shocked out, but likely that they will return with time.  Minoxidil is the only treatment you can employ besides waiting, it’s a growth stimulator.  Are you on finasteride?

No, I am not on finasteride. I recently filled out an order for it because I am hoping that I'll be able to salvage any hairs that got shocked out. It would also help my existing hairs to be better prepared if I need a second hair transplant. I am particularly worried about a minoxidil shed especially after waiting till 3 months after my transplant. Do you think it'll really help?

7 hours ago, Spanker said:

I dont know that I have ever seen anyone not eventually bounce back that didn't have necrosis, however, I can sympathize with your anxiety. That's a pretty solid case of shock. I feel confident that you will bounce back. 

A little confused about what you said here. Do you mean you've never seen someone who didn't get necrosis after they bounced back or you've never seen anyone not bounce back from something apart from necrosis? Yeah, I'm actually resigned to going for a second hair transplant if this shock doesn't resolve. 

18 hours ago, Speegs said:

Don't despair, hair transplanted between existing hair can sometimes receive temporary shock loss from the trauma while the body heals, it will re-emerge and grow in your natural hair cycle.

I see in your signature that you used to be a Norwood 3A. Did you experience any shock loss when the doctor transplanted within your forelock area? I'm assuming your forelock would have some diffuse loss as is typical of Norwood 2A/3A patients. I am a Norwood 3A myself and am wondering if not going on finasteride before the op was a mistake. The consensus on hair transplant for diffuse thinners is that usually that it's a bad idea. Well, I never considered that my forelock was considered diffusely thinning..

The tough thing is waiting the recovery period out.  But things should look much better in 4-6 months.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY