Should I hop on the Big 3?

I realised that among my peers my hairline is pretty bad. I'm 21 and sure there are some others with visibly worse off hairlines than me, but for me it's feeding on my self confidence. Because I've only been receding on the front end, I'm not able to pull off waxed hairstyles and often opt for fringes. It gets bad when we have social activities like swimming or social nights where people wax their hair up with confidence and I'm just sitting on the side giving them a lame excuse when they ask why I'm not waxing mine up. 

If I had to guess I'm around a norwood 1.5, but I'm afraid of shedding more due to finasteride. I know it might not seem THAT bad, but what are your thoughts?

Much appreciated. 

P.S Sorry for the poor quality, I don't want to show my face.

WIN_20180802_21_59_45_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180802_22_00_10_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180802_22_00_13_Pro.jpg

• Administrators

Yes you should hop on the big 3 any shed that occurs from finasteride or minoxidil, occur because the medication throws your hair life cycle in to over drive. There are three phases to a hair life cycle, the anagen (growth) catagen (transitional) and telogen (resting) phases. A shed happens when a lot of the follicles go in to the resting phase, but shortly after the hair gets in to the growth phase and now with thicker stronger hair. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

22 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Yes you should hop on the big 3 any shed that occurs from finasteride or minoxidil, occur because the medication throws your hair life cycle in to over drive. There are three phases to a hair life cycle, the anagen (growth) catagen (transitional) and telogen (resting) phases. A shed happens when a lot of the follicles go in to the resting phase, but shortly after the hair gets in to the growth phase and now with thicker stronger hair. 

Alright, thanks. I was kinda worried because I read up a bit and including yourself as you mentioned in your profile about finasteride not really working and you dropped it due to overwhelming side effects? I think I'm okay with a decrease in libido, but definitely not a loss of it. Any thoughts?

For added caution you could start off with a lower more infrequent dosage and see how your body reacts to it. If all OK gradually up the dosage to the recommended 1 mg a day. Personally I only take 1 mg every 2 or 3 days and it seems to be doing its job now for a number of years.

Otherwise take Melvin's good advice.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Shad said:

Alright, thanks. I was kinda worried because I read up a bit and including yourself as you mentioned in your profile about finasteride not really working and you dropped it due to overwhelming side effects? I think I'm okay with a decrease in libido, but definitely not a loss of it. Any thoughts?

Side effects are rare, just ask the majority of guys on this site, there are only a few of us that experienced really bad side effects. For me I took the conscious decision not to take it, but that was because of the side effects I personally experienced. You don’t know until you try it, if you get negative side effects you can lower the dosage or just not take it, but at least you’ll know for sure. You have a lot of hair left so if I were you it would be worth trying. If you were almost completely bald I’d say don’t bother.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Is there hairloss in your fam?  You are young and have decent quality hair.  Id recommend seeing a doc first and seeing if it is a good idea for you to take finasteride.  The big three can cause your hair to shed, some folks quit early due to that.  However, to see full benefits, you need to overcome the shedding phases and continue to use it all for one year to see actual results.  If you are prone to lose hair in future, the meds can help you retain hairs that may be lost otherwise. Best of luck!

Edited by Sean

Grateful for all of the replies. I forgot to mention I started Minoxidil a month ago but started to consider fin because of the lack of results. 

Is Minoxidil sufficient? Or is it not entirely enough? Again, much luv m8s.

I started fin at 21, have been on it 13 years this summer, no side effects. Retarded or halted my hair loss significantly, crown and vertex are intact to the naked eye, and if they are thinning it is so gradual that I have yet to notice.

This stabilization allowed me to pursue a relatively aggressive restoration gameplan for the frontal third of my scalp.

Now people think I have a full head of hair and don't know I take finasteride and have surgically restored my hairline.

I recommend finasteride without reservation, it's safe long term, especially for men in their youth.

Edited by Speegs

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Nizoral and Rogaine are both secondary in consideration to finasteride, which should be the tip of the spear in your hair loss prevention regimen.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016