Donor Miniaturization Issues and Options ?

Wondering if there actually is a way to know with certainty if I have a miniaturization issue?

I've been consulting with Erdogan trying to schedule my procedure and he just keep shootings me down saying I have miniaturization issues I just don't get it ?

I've reviewed tons of his previous surgeries and I see people with way worse hair loss and much much thinner looking donor areas then mine that hes done

I've had a one on one inperson consult locally with a highly component HT doctor thats refereed here on this site and he said my donor area is good to go

These are the pictures i just sent to Erdogan for my last consult shot me down again?

Don't get it?

The hair on the back of my head grows thick like a jungle the light areas are not thinning just grey hairs

Whats to do next ?

5.thumb.jpg.00989b3be9197311e30519bdc2b2ac80.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.b0f8ac60d5721fe89fc380e0f8d5b44c.jpg

R the patchy brown spots miniaturized hairs ? If not then I think ur donor is thick n strong enough for a decent transplant .. u do have some hairloss at the lower area .. retrograde alopecia.. but ur donor is a lot better than some others that had good results .. u be able to find a surgeon that be able to work with u ..

R the patchy brown spots miniaturized hairs ? If not then I think ur donor is thick n strong enough for a decent transplant .. u do have some hairloss at the lower area .. retrograde alopecia.. but ur donor is a lot better than some others that had good results .. u be able to find a surgeon that be able to work with u ..

Na I'm old and gray been coloring it for like 20yrs already the patchy brown spots are just gray showing through :)

I'm sure I have defused and maybe some retrograde alopecia but miniaturized hairs I don't know about that ?

So before I totally give up on Erdogan I was thinking it might be worth a try to find out for sure one way or another and if i don't and theirs a way to show him in black and white it might help my case to change his mind ?

Is that possible and what would be the best way to do that ?

Is there some test ?

Maybe its time to just give up on Erdogan :(

Why don't you try coloring your hair so that the donor has a uniform color. The fact that you have grey patches throughout your donor may be making the donor area appear as if it has thinning patches in the photos.

You could also try taking a few videos of your donor zone in an area with natural lighting, and send them in to the clinics you are considering, instead of photos. There are different sites that will allow you to upload content and share it via a link.

Finally, you have some of the very best Doctors in the world in the US who produce incredibly natural results. Dr. Gabel, Drs. Ron and Paul Shapiro, Dr. Konior to name a few. Why not consider one of them for your surgery?

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• Moderators

Here's what I would do: Color your hair so it's all one color and then have someone take a video doing a comb-through of your donor area.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Thanks for the replies feeling a little lost right now really appreciate the help

Next time I color my hair I plan to take some new pictures and do the comb-through video thing and maybe I'll also go back to the local HT doctor here in South Florida and talk to him more specifically about the miniaturization and have him take a second look ?

I'm pretty sure I'm needing atleast 3000 graphs with Erdogan it would definitely be atleast 5k

US Doctors like Konior and Gabel are booked super busy I really wanted to get this done with in the next 6months and also there pricing is a bit over the top I think for me to get the density I'd like I might be looking at close to 25 to 30k crazy don't want to spent that much

It really took me along time on the forums to finally settle on a doctor and I'm really struggling again now to settle on an comparable alternative to Erdogan

Leaning towards Dr Kyriakos Maras HDC today good choice ?

other suggestions please chime in ?

I also emailed my pictures to Dr.Yaman , Dr.Karadeniz , The Hairline Clinic (HLC), Dr.Cinik anyone I'm missing ?

Heres what Dr. Cinik's people had to say about Erdogan below :)

Koray Erdogan is choosing his patients and is only accepting patients where he knows that they will have 100 % results, he is rejecting a lot of patients.as we are not as worried in our reputation as him but more for are patients satisfaction, we would do your transplant and are sure that you ll achieve great results.

Ozlem Mentes

Assistant of Dr.Cinik

Edited by Markee

Some updated donor area pictures.

How would you rate?

I say good enough

I've seen people with alot worse donors areas then mine go through and have multiple procedures

Link to my donor area comb through video So thick can hardly get a comb through it :)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-KJQzk1LZHUBLGYmYDYVYC-OUkJC6XjA

11.thumb.jpg.8b8bc753340c5928aa9419fe57f60c7f.jpg

22.thumb.jpg.dca52231cc5e9cca9745d36c150583da.jpg

33.thumb.jpg.ff8223e95df7e8b8d8caffee0d5c70b3.jpg

Edited by Markee

Did the doctor microscopically examine your donor zone? And even if he did not, it's possible that he noticed some level of diffused loss or miniaturization in the donor area whereby he concluded that the area is DHT receptive.

I really can't think of any other reasons why he would have the opinion he has expressed.

There will always be doctors who will be willing to do a procedure even if they see that the donor hair is not stable.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

My Local HT doctor put on his magnifying glasses and sifted through the back of my head and said no problems there your donor area is looking good

I've sent my pictures already to many of the doctors recommended on this site and not one other then Erdogan sees any miniaturization issues in the donor area ?

Did the doctor microscopically examine your donor zone? And even if he did not, it's possible that he noticed some level of diffused loss or miniaturization in the donor area whereby he concluded that the area is DHT receptive.

I really can't think of any other reasons why he would have the opinion he has expressed. Who are you referring to Erdogan or my local doctor ? They say Erdogan is picky only excepting patents that hes 100% sure of more worried about his reputation

There will always be doctors who will be willing to do a procedure even if they see that the donor hair is not stable.

After seeing my donor pictures and video whats your opinion you have alot of HT experience here

Do you think Dr. Jim Harris, Denver, CO - Dr. Robert True & Dr. Robert Dorin would turn me down ?

Edited by Markee

Right I'm trying to change direction and setting on a second choice sent my pictures around and waiting for a more consult replies to come back been in leaning towards Dr.Maras with HDC

What ya think good choice ?

Hoping to get more feedback and suggestions here before i make a final decision

https://www.hairtransplants-hdc.com/hdc-results/results

I’m not really active on here (I joined a long while ago), but am a very frequent reader and lurker since I’m considering a HT again myself.. I have a suggestion that might help with Erdogan... Maybe you should try cutting your hair to a short low guard fade, like maybe a 1 or 2 guard on the sides and back. That way he can get a very clean look at your donor area and see what the hairs actually like when they are short and growing. Not sure if your comfortable with cutting it that short but it couldn’t hurt to try..

• Administrators

Dr. Maras is a recommended surgeon and has a track record of high quality results that’s an excellent choice.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Dr. Maras is a recommended surgeon and has a track record of high quality results that’s an excellent choice.

Melvin help me out here your much more experienced in this stuff then me.

I've spent the past week searching hard on most of the main HT forums looking at HDC and Dr. Maras's work comparing it to Erdogan and others reading reviews.

I'm impressed with what I see. His work looks really good and theirs a lot of it out there going back a long long way.

I've also been back and forth with his people and its all been positive they have also sent me many examples of work hes done similar to mine and pretty much at this point I had settled on him but then I noticed something a bit strange ?

Out of all his personal review pictures going back I can't find any where hes done temple point work I found like one from like 10yrs ago and it looks a little strange.

My temples area is seriously recessed and getting it fixed in like number 1 priority of any HT for me.

Personally I feel that the hair line temple area and points run hand and hand and are the make or break of any successful HT surgery and without the proper temple points to frame the face things tend to just look not quite right?

So I contacted his people explained and also asked if they could send me some examples of the good doctors temple work and he only sent me just one case back and then he gave me the follows below explanation

Regarding the temporal peaks, this is a subject that can hold a lot of discussion. I know the work of Dr Erdogan and his practice to build the peaks.

The main argument is that those peaks can look good at the beginning but a few years later when hair loss may progress then these peaks could be a great liability. You see the results presented 1 year after. But if you see these results presented 5-10 years after, you will notice that as hair loss may progress or miniaturization may progress then the peaks is standing out as aggressive hair transplantation and one would may want to have them removed.

It is not a matter if Dr Maras can do it, but if it is correct to do it.

This really throws me off temple points are so important so again I searched around the HT forums searching temples and temple points and don't see any discussion on this issue at all

So looking to start some here

I mean the doctors work in hairlines looks great top notch excellent but temple points also takes a special skill

Miniaturization can only be confirmed by a microscopic examination, never by pics...that's a fact.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Miniaturization can only be confirmed by a microscopic examination, never by pics...that's a fact.

Do you think it can only be microscopically confirmed?

Because the doctor and recommended surgeon here I went to see inperson didn't put anything under a microscope he just put on some sort of magnifying glasses and sifted through the back of my head?

This is obviously something that is bothering you a great deal. If I were in your situation, I would book a flight to a trusted Doctor to have my donor area examined to rule out the possibility of donor miniaturization. You don't seem convinced by your last visit, so why not end the speculation before you commit to surgery?

You may have to pay a few hundred dollars for this, but it would give you peace of mind, knowing that you are making the right decision in pursuing surgery.

No one will be able to look at your photos and say definitively that your donor is miniaturizing.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Do you think it can only be microscopically confirmed?

Because the doctor and recommended surgeon here I went to see inperson didn't put anything under a microscope he just put on some sort of magnifying glasses and sifted through the back of my head?

It all depends how powerful the glasses are. If the empowerment is at least 30-40 X, then yes IMHO, that would be sufficient.

My general point is that miniaturization cannot be accurately confirmed through pics or solely the naked eye.

Gillenator