How many grafts to improve hairline?

Hi guys. Would like some opinions. How much grafts would it take to improve my hairline?

https://i.imgur.com/LwxsIar.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Uz2amYY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/q8hm22I.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AMibrbh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dcpDSit.jpg

Thank you

Edited by Unregistered

1500 to 2000 grafts to improve it without dropping, depending on your age, loss, medication use, etc.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

1500 to 2000 grafts to improve it without dropping, depending on your age, loss, medication use, etc.

Hi, thanks. 1500 to 2000 just for filling in the gaps? That seems quite high, I've seen 2000 used to lower hairlines by half an inch or so

Are we looking at the same photos. I see no hair loss.

Hi, my main issue is that I'm a diffuse thinning but as you can see it's affecting the hairline also. My main goal is to make to more solid and if possible lower it by 1-1.5cm

Exactly this is a classic case of someone getting in way over his head. You’re trying to achieve perfection when you look 100% fine.

Thank you. I know you probably think I'm over reacting. It's just that this past year has been tough for me in terms of hair loss.

What was once my best feature has diminished badly.

But I honestly think that my hairline is very patchy which doesn't look healthy.

The hairline you have is where a lot of transplant patients end up getting to. I agree with Spanker it might benefit from about 1500 to stabilize it ONLY under the condition you consult with a few ethical docs like Shapiro or Hasson and Wong or many others here skilled at predicting your future hair loss.

Also agree that you may not need anything yet, So you may wish to consider hair meds and/or seeing a doc that does PRP which may work to help with diffuse thinning. If you are worried go get informed.

Finally make sure to get a thorough medical check with blood work and get educated on nutrition and hair loss—inflammation caused by diet can certainly contribute.

More than anything—don’t panic. You still have lots of hair currently and to work with in the future.

Hi Direwolf,

If your hairline is bothering you which I would say it is hence your posting, then I would suggest you go for a small procedure of 1200-1500 grafts to strengthen the hairline where it is showing early signs of recession.

I would take a guess at looking at your pics and say you have ample donor.

At 27/28 years old you should also consider taking medications such as Finasteride/Minoxidil to delay any further hair loss which I believe is evident. I have seen the same early signs in my own old pics.

It’s healthier than 99% of the population still. No matter who you go to you’re going to experience shock loss. There is too much hair there to risk it. I say it as a veteran of this industry. Don’t do it yet.

Thanks. Yeah I was up last night doing a lot of research, I don't think there is enough recession to justify a HT yet.

The hairline you have is where a lot of transplant patients end up getting to. I agree with Spanker it might benefit from about 1500 to stabilize it ONLY under the condition you consult with a few ethical docs like Shapiro or Hasson and Wong or many others here skilled at predicting your future hair loss.

Also agree that you may not need anything yet, So you may wish to consider hair meds and/or seeing a doc that does PRP which may work to help with diffuse thinning. If you are worried go get informed.

Finally make sure to get a thorough medical check with blood work and get educated on nutrition and hair loss—inflammation caused by diet can certainly contribute.

More than anything—don’t panic. You still have lots of hair currently and to work with in the future.

Thank you. Wow I hadn't heard of this PRP, I'll definitely look into this further.

Yeah after thinking about this, and taking into account everyone's replies, I won't pursue a HT, especially if there's a chance it could make it worse.

Thanks your words were very comforting

Hi Direwolf,

If your hairline is bothering you which I would say it is hence your posting, then I would suggest you go for a small procedure of 1200-1500 grafts to strengthen the hairline where it is showing early signs of recession.

I would take a guess at looking at your pics and say you have ample donor.

At 27/28 years old you should also consider taking medications such as Finasteride/Minoxidil to delay any further hair loss which I believe is evident. I have seen the same early signs in my own old pics.

Thanks for the reply Shera. I've put the brakes on the HT plan for now, it does seem I might be over reacting.

That being said, 1200-1500 grafts sounds like a lot to just fill it up. When I first asked this question, I predicted that replies would be in the region of ~500. Can you show me any case studies or anyone having a similar procedure?

Also, how do you think my hair loss will progress? I'm exactly 27.5 years old at the moment, I've been loosing density since 22-23.

Dad is nw5 at age 55. At 40 years old he was still nw2a.

Brother is 32 and nw2 with obvious thinning, he also has much finer hair than mine so looks a bit worse.

Your hair is very similar to mines. I was planning to do 1200 to hairline .. but the doctor canceled on me at the last week .. saying I should use finasteride for a year first .. he said there was a high chance I would experience shock loss to the native hair .. at first I was disappointed about that .. but now I think it was the right decision .. just like u I panicked when my hairline started to recede .. I’m also a Norwood 2 ..

but I don’t think mentally i was going to be able to handle it .. n I needed to let my hair stablize first so in a few more months I’m going to go ahead with a transplant .. while I still have hair up top to comb it forward like Justin Bieber to cover up the surgery .. that way I won’t have to shave my head ..

but yeah if u do go with a transplant for the hairline. , be ready to get a 2nd surgery in 4-5 years to the midscalp.

Thanks for the reply Shera. I've put the brakes on the HT plan for now, it does seem I might be over reacting.

That being said, 1200-1500 grafts sounds like a lot to just fill it up. When I first asked this question, I predicted that replies would be in the region of ~500. Can you show me any case studies or anyone having a similar procedure?

Also, how do you think my hair loss will progress? I'm exactly 27.5 years old at the moment, I've been loosing density since 22-23.

Dad is nw5 at age 55. At 40 years old he was still nw2a.

Brother is 32 and nw2 with obvious thinning, he also has much finer hair than mine so looks a bit worse.

You will find numerous results on this very website where patients have had surgery on similar hairlines (maybe a bit more recession) to your own, just have a look at the section "Hair Transplant Experiences and Surgeon Reviews".

I think you will follow a similar pattern to your brother, your hair loss is not overly aggressive, I think it will slowly creep up on you. Speaking from my own experience where my hairline was similar to yours at the age of 30, by the age of 44 I was heading for a NW5 like your dad. I didn't really pay much attention to it when I was your age, never really noticed any loss, I was of the thinking that I was never going to go bald.......

If you decide not to go through with a transplant just yet then you should consider the medications, it could make all the difference.

Feel free to contact me if you wish to talk over your options.

Edited by Shera

didn't catch your age in this thread, but based on photos alone I would not undergo a HT at this time, you're hair looks great as is, you'll probably be assuming more risk than reward, try getting on meds, taking natural supplements, using good shampoos, etc. as others have recommended, I can sympathize with you when you state that you've starting noticing some diffuse thinning, that's how I panicked in my mid 20's and underwent a HT in the early 90's with no knowledge and understanding of what I was getting into, it was the WORST decision in my life! As I lost more hair over two decades, I finally went to an excellent surgeon to correct the situation. My advice - wait - your situation is not as bad as you think it is.

Edited by home1212