How awful is my donor zone?

The first picture is at 3 weeks and the last one is from 1.5 months. I typically shave it with no guard for good reason. One surgeon was fine with doing FUT, another with FUE and a final one for FUE said it probably wasn't good. No one has ever told me I had a not so great donor region though but looking at it, it doesn't seem to be a good thing going on.

Edit: I had LPP around 10 years ago and it has remained inactive since that time which might explain the part you are seeing at the bottom although maybe not.

20170831_233843.thumb.jpg.03dec4a5af7f3af50b5fcc5b5b9683a9.jpg

R_4_C.thumb.jpg.5ad4fe92d7c9bdae4808978512d00ef6.jpg

Edited by DarGek

I'm not sure what your asking. Have you had an HT? What is LPP?

I am asking how bad the donor area looks for a future FUE or FT. LPP is lichenplanopilaris, a form of scarring alopecia which was surprisingly slow but was left untreated and did add to the natural progression of hair loss.

• Administrators

What are your goals? The donor seems sparse, and the bottom nape appears to have retrograde alopecia, that doesn't necessarily mean you're not a candidate, it just means you have less grafts to work with, so it all depends on your expectations and goals, it's best to consult with doctors in person to asses the donor area.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Goalbis to be able to maintain forelock, create more density in mid section and partially add more to crown. I want just enough where I can buzz my head without guard and it will appear to have more density than is actually there.

I want just enough where I can buzz my head without guard and it will appear to have more density than is actually there.

You, sir, are the perfect candidate then for SMP.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

DarGek,

Photos aren't the best way to evaluate the donor area however, in one of the photos, it does appear that your donor area is quite thin. If I were you, I would consult one of our recommended hair transplant surgeons so they can evaluate your scalp and help you develop realistic expectations for surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill

Honestly dont want any form of ink on me, especially on my scalp.

I can appreciate that as I have no ink anywhere on my body, and I am 99.9% sure I never will - but some recent posts of SMP results in the past year or so are pretty impressive and given the pics you have submitted, it should at least be put down (low albeit) on the list as a possible solution.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I'd go in person for a consult with a reputable doctor if you can, but based on that first picture I wouldn't want to operate on you.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

If day it's pretty bad. Wether from lip or not. I wouldn't consider you a great candidate base on your age and donor area. Sorry man.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi Dargek,

I own a non-permanent/temporary SMP clinic in Northern New Jersey. I'd be happy to discuss your options not only for SMP but hair transplant as well. I work with most of the top HT docs in the area (all recommended by this forum) and can point you in the right direction if you decided SMP wasn't for you. (I'm also a HT vet having had 8 surgeries.) You can email me at info@aheadink.com to set up a free consultation.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com