Receding hairline or crown balding

Just a thought............ Do most prefer receeding hairline or balding crown?

It seems hair restoration most people with only receding front get great results, as long as the crown is full a lot only need one procedure to restore the front. The crown is horrendous though and seems it's tough to fill in.

Aestheticly I think a receding hairline is more attractive then a big hole in the crown. A shaved head looks good with a bit of recession but a full crown at the back.

Crown balding in just the the worst. It has old man written all over it :(

Edited by Jdog

Just a thought............ Do most prefer receeding hairline or balding crown?

It seems hair restoration most people with only receding front get great results, as long as the crown is full a lot only need one procedure to restore the front. The crown is horrendous though and seems it's tough to fill in.

Aestheticly I think a receding hairline is more attractive then a big hole in the crown. A shaved head looks good with a bit of recession but a full crown at the back.

Crown balding in just the the worst. It has old man written all over it :(

I couldn't agree more, I recently said pretty much the same on a thread SPEX posted here here on the 'importance of the hair-line.'

A receding hair-line even on a guy with average looks, especially if he looks after himself doesn't look as bad as a bald crown ,there was something about facing people straight on

that I could handle when my hair was receding ,but the thought of them looking at my balding crown from behind really pissed me off.

• Moderators

A receding hair-line even on a guy with average looks, especially if he looks after himself doesn't look as bad as a bald crown ,there was something about facing people straight on

that I could handle when my hair was receding ,but the thought of them looking at my balding crown from behind really pissed me off.

Totally agree. I've said before that my bald crown always bothered me the most. Many people say that they don't mind if they are bald in the crown, but it seems like most of those who say that don't have a bald crown.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Same for me, My hairline needed a fix but on a scale of 1-10 it bugged me a 3... my crown I was told was minor so to let minox and fin work at it and strengthen any weaklings up there and then I could tackle it but it was an 8 out of 10 on my annoyance chart and now 6 months later after my hairline work its at a 10 outta 10 with it. I can't stand the crown showing. I'm booking my crown appointment asap.

Yes I have noticed that nearly all the Docs, and a lot of the long term posters on here who have only had their hairline fixed with very minimal balding ,always waxing lyrical about the importance of the hair-line I know for a fact crown balding affects a lot of guys in a negative way more than the front going .

• Administrators

I personally hated the receded hairline a lot more then my crown, the crown is easy to conceal, a bit of toppik and its fine, the hairline on the other hand looks unnatural if you try to conceal it, I think the framing of the face is the most important, a receded hairline IMO ages you by about 20 years.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

i personally hated the receded hairline a lot more then my crown, the crown is easy to conceal, a bit of toppik and its fine, the hairline on the other hand looks unnatural if you try to conceal it, i think the framing of the face is the most important, a receded hairline imo ages you by about 20 years.

^^^^^^^^

bump

Do you prefer a punch in the face or an elbow to the gut? ?

I agree with Spex, framing the face and setting the hairline was more important. Of course, this was influenced by personal circumstances. My recession in front was not as severe as the crown, so I fixed the hairline first. At least this way photos and taking face to face I'll appear younger.

My HT Journey

The FUT surgery experience and results

Disguising my FUT Scar

Medications and Supplements

Supplements: Biotin, MSM

5% Minoxidil Foam

Regenepure Shampoo (re-starting 1mo after HT)

Typically, unless your thinning starts in the crown first, most men see progressive hair loss begin with a hairline diminishing.

Thus if they get on finasteride they can mitigate the loss to mostly the front, and aesthetically, tackling the framing of the face via a hairline restoration is the most impactful way to pursue a hair transplant.

Ideally you don't lose your crown, but if you have to choose between a framed face or a bald spot, most every man will take that bald spot every time.

It takes a skillful surgeon to tackle crown restorations, even surgeons that excel at hairline work sometimes don't match those chops at the back of the head.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Typically, unless your thinning starts in the crown first, most men see progressive hair loss begin with a hairline diminishing.

Thus if they get on finasteride they can mitigate the loss to mostly the front, and aesthetically, tackling the framing of the face via a hairline restoration is the most impactful way to pursue a hair transplant.

Ideally you don't lose your crown, but if you have to choose between a framed face or a bald spot, most every man will take that bald spot every time.

Obviously if you're just talking about a bald spot as you put it most men wouldn't be too concerned if the front is in tact but most of us here are referring to full blown crown balding

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I dont think anyone who's commented on this thread has actually said when getting hair restoration that the approach taken should be to fix the crown before the hair-line and front, obviously the way to go is to deal with the hair-line /front ,as has been documented the crown can be a bitch to cover even with great donor, but my point is the crown bothers a lot of men just as much as the front ,as has been proven by this thread ,as for the Stevie Wonder pic, equally

I could mention Sting who has had a dodgy hair-line for years but he can still get away with it

just keeps it short at least he doesn't have to worry about the paparazzi exposing his balding crown getting into a taxi , point being a lot depends on bone structure and shape of the head.

I think the OP question was, 'bald crown receding front which do people prefer?,' not what approach should be taken when dealing with both issues .

Edited by Mick50

Jude Law is a classic example of what I am getting at .He has a major receding hairline for years. Hides it a bit by keeping the hair behind the hairline slightly longer. His crown is as thick as a lions mane. He looks good receding.

If you have a big bald patch in the back there's no hiding that at all. Unless you wear something artificial.

Norwood 3 hairline with a full crown any day of the week for me even over a Norwood 1 hairline with a big hole of flesh in the back of my head.

Jude Law is a classic example of what I am getting at .He has a major receding hairline for years. Hides it a bit by keeping the hair behind the hairline slightly longer. His crown is as thick as a lions mane. He looks good receding.

If you have a big bald patch in the back there's no hiding that at all. Unless you wear something artificial.

Norwood 3 hairline with a full crown any day of the week for me even over a Norwood 1 hairline with a big hole of flesh in the back of my head.

Jude Law ,Sting and countless others, actually frontal Balding is actually more acceptable in show business in my opinion rather than the kiss of death bald crown, but as I stated earlier that one's a bit subjective and of course Jude Law and Sting are both good looking guys, but that's the same for anyone getting a hair transplant it's not going to turn you into a stud if your not good looking to begin with, but will hopefully give you more confidence which in itself is currency regarding sex -appeal .

Edited by Mick50

I think what i'm trying to get is here is take a really good looking actor if he is losing his hair just at the front

but his crown is intact I think he has more chance of getting a leading role rather than if he has hairline frontal intact but a big bald crown, really not a sexy look, every time he turns his head around on the big screen cant see many girlies getting hot and bothered looking at a bald shiny crown.

Roger Federer for example is clearly receeding fairly heavily but has so much hair behind the hairline that no one really notices. Now if he was going thin at the crown everyone would be saying Federer is going bald or look at that bald patch.

Often wondered why Law never got a hair transplant. He has awesome donor and it would look great.

I only have lost hair in the front corners (crown, mid scalp and forelock totally intact).. This is bad enough for me, but I am able to disguise what loss I do have pretty well. I feel pretty grateful that my crown is in tact.. I think I would be more embarrassed by crown loss.. One of my good friends has crown loss and it ain't a good look for a young man.