How many grafs would I need? Is there salvation? (pictures inside)

Hello everyone!

I have been an avid reader of this forum for quite sometime - more so lately - since I've been finally considering the possibility of a HT.

I'm 34 years old and I've been losing hair for the past 10 years to the point where I am now (see pictures below). Would love to have the joy of combing my hair again, middle or side part.

Dream: lower my hair line at least a finger (say, 2cm? which would still give me a big forehead but would be an improvement) and have density. Honestly, if it's just to have low density I don't think an HT would look good :(

I think I have - but you be the judge from the pics - very thin hair which is a negative point for me.

Looking at good density, which is to say not much scalp see against light, how many grafs would I need for:

- Front & top;

- Crown

Thanks for all the info you can give me!

20170114_235509.thumb.jpg.6bf75ac49bceced637e015e0c986cb9c.jpg

20170114_235530.thumb.jpg.7cb45b2ee732d8a8b17bb7da58349126.jpg

20170114_235544.thumb.jpg.07434391bf09f5d25d645152fafa399e.jpg

20170114_235555.thumb.jpg.db651e92119b42c01190ac38a73439cc.jpg

20170114_235608.thumb.jpg.f1ce155c24cf455bfc64104daddbc581.jpg

20170114_235723.thumb.jpg.75aeaee86e729015a37da2c23e438997.jpg

20170114_235902.thumb.jpg.e995bba240204c9ec5fd550f0c5110cf.jpg

If you're not doing it, take the medications first, tbh. You have hair on top of your head and having it strengthen up and even having a bit of potential regrowth would help a lot.

I'd say to not focus on lowering your hairline in the first surgery and just focus on filling in the current balding area you have. A better hairline would be best reserved for if you have enough grafts later on

have you done research on enough doctors to have a short list? and are you going the FUT or FUE route?

I'm just now beginning to check on the alternatives. Honestly I was leaning towards making it in one of the clinics available here in Portugal. Even though there are not that many people posting results in here, I think it would probably be easier to do follow ups on the results in here instead of flying to Turquey for example. Plus, price is of course an important factor and there's not that much information about it in here. At least from what I've been seeing. All being said, I'll just have my first 2 consultations so I'm now taking my first steps.

And I'm only considering FUE for now.

Hello KO. Do you think 3k FU would be enough for density? I checked your case and you did around 3.3k FU's but I would said you had a bit more coverage than me and thicker hair...

If you're not doing it, take the medications first, tbh. You have hair on top of your head and having it strengthen up and even having a bit of potential regrowth would help a lot.

I'd say to not focus on lowering your hairline in the first surgery and just focus on filling in the current balding area you have. A better hairline would be best reserved for if you have enough grafts later on

Yes, medication is something to start looking at too. I've done some "light treatment" with shampoos etc in my early 20's but it's safe to say that where I'm at now in terms of baldness is 100% the "course of nature".

if you've been reading these boards for some time, you would have seen many comments about NEVER limiting your doctor choice to your geographic location, I know nothing about Portugal, but you should not limit your choice and therefore have an unpredictable outcome because you chose to stay local for "convenience". Its a simple plane ride to reach one of the top docs in Spain, Turkey, Europe or the US. Furthermore, you will NEVER replicate the density that you had or still have in your donor area, that's just unrealistic. A HT provides the "illusion" of density by movement of hair from your donor area to your recipient area - therefore you have a limited amount to draw from as your male pattern baldness continues to progress and you may need additional surgeries in the future.

All things I think you need to consider and do more research on.

I know... I've been scared of this step forward for quite some time. Plus, the prospect of going abroad is even more scarier ehehe.

One thing setting me back is of course the price point of this quite of intervention. There's no point in doing it and not putting the necessary grafs for a nice result. And I don't mean the density of my youth...I know that is impossible. But I also wouldn't like that strange look where it seems your hair is "floating 2cm above your head" (where you have hair but light shows all your scalp).

My first question is therefore related with own many grafs would be needed for a good result and from that point check if my budget can get there...

I believe I would be refered as a Norwood 5?

First you should at least try to salvage what you have left & try small doses of Fin & min to see how you respond the first 12mths & being your only 34 It's certain you would go beyond a NW5 when you reach 40.

I would work on your front with a conservative 3k for your first HT in framing your face as other have said HT will never give you back your density but more of a illusion of a full head of hair.

If you want to get into the bones of how many grafts would be needed in such a area like yourself then I recall Dr lorenzo, I think made a video on such, not a perfect mathematical but pretty dam close, this would give you a better idea on what can & can not be achieved.

You also got to mentally prepare yourself for several passes as your a high NW5 so have that at mind, be smart about your approach especially in choosing not any doctor which is best bang for your buck but one who has a consistent good track record with similar patients like yourself, so choose wisely as you don't get many chances to get this wrong.

Also look into taking supplements such as biotin, msn, vit d & cod liver tablets all won't grow new hair but can strengthen up of what you have left.

Again choose wisely, be smart & if you got to spend a few extra euros on the better doctor or a flight then it be well worth the money spent.

I wish you well.

Hi keltharan,

I would agree with ontop, you may well need more than one pass in order to achieve your desired result. I would concentrate on the hairline and the mid-scalp. Depending on your donor, you may have enough grafts to give you some coverage for your crown too.

You should look in the region of 3000-3500 grafts. You also have the option of adding upto approx. 500 beard grafts to increase density. In the hands of a good doctor you should get a pleasing result hopefully on a par with mine considering the similarity of your balding pattern.

There is also a strong chance of the Fin making a considerable difference to your crown area too, once it kicks in after a few months.

This a several procedure case, and will likely take two to three procedures consisting of 2000 or more grafts a session to satisfy a cosmetically appealing density for your restoration.

I'd guessitmate at least 5,000 to 6000 grafts are needed to make an appreciable difference to the existing thin and balding spots.

The larger number is because you appear to have fine dark hair and fair light skin, which creates greater contrast between scalp and hair and typically requires more hair to create an appealing density that isn't see through in harsh light.

Hair restoration is a long term game plan, it takes at least a year to reap the benefits of a single procedure, so when you're in need of two or three, be prepared to spend about four years restoring your hair.

Hope that helps.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I don't see why this is a several procedure case? Looks like a typical 4A, one session would give him a lot of hair, and make a dramatic impact.
Given the amount of loss, the texture of his hair, the contrast of his hair color from his light skin, 2,500 to 3000 will probably not be dense enough.

A second pass will likely be needed.

Every case is different, but in my experience, all these factors lead to there being at least two sessions.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

4000FUT or you might get away with low 3000FUE with a more conservative hairline.

Maximum ~500 in the crown but generally not recommended unless you're on fin as that 'black hole' will probably keep on expanding through the years.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

OP is a Class A patient, which is great. One decent size session would give him a good hairline and sort him up for years to come. I'd say a first session of 3500 would be great. Really though, an online forum won't be able to estimate correctly. You'll need to get an in person consult, measure density, laxity, and caliber along with estimating the area to be covered, but you have an idea of what the range is. Are you doing FUE or FUSS?

Edited by KO

At least 3000 into the front third for round one, but I have no idea about the quality / qualities of your donor though :-(

In a perfect situation, 3000 in the first HT

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

I'd say upwards of 5,000 and would recommend 2 FUE procedures. And moving forward to buzz the sides and back of your head.

If you decide to invest in that route do heavy research on Docs to guarantee effectiveness.

I personally had 2200 first time and will be going back for 2nd procedure with same Doc so it worked out very well. :-)

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct ’89

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016

Finasteride daily, since 2014

Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year :)