19 years old

Unfortunately this has to be some of the most aggressive AGA I've ever seen. The only poster I've seen with more aggressive was a guy named azza786 who had FUT done by rahal, which turned out well.

I would say you might be a candidate, but only if you can stabilize your loss with finasteride and dutasteride. If not, just shave it. Look into SMP.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you guys kidding me???????

He's an excellent Norwood 6 candidate, because of his lateral humps.

It all depends what his density is like, if its average he should have a decent result.

I can't believe some of the negative comments I'm reading here lately :(

alkqpf.jpghttp:

He is a acandidate only if his mpb stabilizes. If he was 40, that would be one thing, but 19 is another. The walls can fall...Finasteride and probably dutasteride is a must for an HT. Has op ruled out meds?

Yeah but who cares aboot the crown???

He should have enough grafts to fill up the midscalp, and perhaps bleed a little towards the crown.

Other then that I think he's an excellent HT candidate.

I have NO IDEA what you guys are going aboot, and why you're bringing this guy down with your negativity!

('m not saying you guys are doing it intentionally, but you are doing it)

I have also been on suicide watch several times because of this

Let me just say I know EXACTLY what you're going through, and we'll leave it at that,

Suicide will solve nothing. Dont even think about it!!

You will also hurt your family and loved ones TREMENDOUSLY when you take your own life, so please dont do it!!

Let me just say I know EXACTLY what you're going through, and we'll leave it at that,

Suicide will solve nothing. Dont even think about it!!

You will also hurt your family and loved ones TREMENDOUSLY when you take your own life, so please dont do it!!

I will not do it but man this is so hopeless. Getting MPB at 15, alopecia areata at 6. That's fucked up and I sometimes think that I'm a ungrateful douchebag but at the same time I think I do have all the right in the world to think that my life and youth have been robbed from me, I can't help it. I even lost my first love because of this hair loss bullshit. But what is even more hopeless is that some think that I'm not even a candidate for a HT. That's messed up, I mean, you just can't describe my luck. It's unbelievable.

I will not do it but man this is so hopeless. Getting MPB at 15, alopecia areata at 6. That's fucked up and I sometimes think that I'm a ungrateful douchebag but at the same time I think I do have all the right in the world to think that my life and youth have been robbed from me, I can't help it. I even lost my first love because of this hair loss bullshit. But what is even more hopeless is that some think that I'm not even a candidate for a HT. That's messed up, I mean, you just can't describe my luck. It's unbelievable.

I feel for you man I really do but you shouldn't take to heart everything you hear on here ,by it's very nature this kind of site you will get conflicting advice and opinions but you can be sure it's coming with good intentions, Best to send pics to recommended ethical Doctors they should be ultimately the ones who advice you should take whether to go down the transplant route ,my opinion and it's only an opinion you should try meds for a few years then review the situation when you are 24 -25 I realise that seems like an eternity at your age but take it form an old geezer like me you're only starting out at 25 still the best years to come.

• Administrators

If you were to stay how you are you could have surgery, but you won't stay like that, in another year or two you may get a lot worse, you can try medication and see how that works for you, but I just feel that a hair system would be a better solution. Finasteride can give long term side effects to a small percentage, at your age and hair loss level I just don't think it's worth the risk.

What I'm going to show you illustrates why hair loss is so unpredictable, take a look at Mike from breaking bad, in his 20's he had hair, even his 30's he had a descent amount of hair, it wasn't until later in life he became a Norwood 7, this is very rare but it does happen, the likelihood of this happening to guys who go bald in their teens goes up tremendously and it happens a lot quicker.

Hair loss unpredictable and this could happen to me, I'm 31 and whose to say I won't end up like Mike, but the difference between me and you is that I've matured and my brain is now fully developed, if this should occur to me I'm at a place mentally to be able to deal with such a devastating blow, at 19 you are not, I know because you mentioned being on suicide watch, I can only imagine if you get a transplant and end up looking worse what would happen. FUE is not scarless, it is not fail proof either, if any hair is transplanted from a zone that is not permanent it will fall out and YOU WILL see scars.

If the thought of this happening is worse than being bald DONT DO IT, I stayed up at nights before having surgery thinking of this very scenario, in my case it's unlikely to happpen in your case it's not, just think about it that's all I want, if you've thought about the possibilities thoroughly and you've been fully informed then I've done my job. The worse thing you could ever do is not consider the possibilities and think that a transplant is a sure thing because it is not. One last thing look up "Behappy" he's a poster on here he had a transplant when he was 22.

Norwood 4 Mike in his 30's

tJqA8Il.jpg

Norwood 7 Mike in his 60's

MxEdqz7.jpg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Why aren't you on fin or dut?

Because I will become a police officer in the future and I can't afford to have any side affect and I'm not even allowed to take any kind of drugs by police collegue. I have kept a very natural lifestyle with 0% drugs intake as well, and I dont have any plans to change that either.

If you were to stay how you are you could have surgery, but you won't stay like that, in another year or two you may get a lot worse, you can try medication and see how that works for you, but I just feel that a hair system would be a better solution. Finasteride can give long term side effects to a small percentage, at your age and hair loss level I just don't think it's worth the risk.

What I'm going to show you illustrates why hair loss is so unpredictable, take a look at Mike from breaking bad, in his 20's he had hair, even his 30's he had a descent amount of hair, it wasn't until later in life he became a Norwood 7, this is very rare but it does happen, the likelihood of this happening to guys who go bald in their teens goes up tremendously and it happens a lot quicker.

Hair loss unpredictable and this could happen to me, I'm 31 and whose to say I won't end up like Mike, but the difference between me and you is that I've matured and my brain is now fully developed, if this should occur to me I'm at a place mentally to be able to deal with such a devastating blow, at 19 you are not, I know because you mentioned being on suicide watch, I can only imagine if you get a transplant and end up looking worse what would happen. FUE is not scarless, it is not fail proof either, if any hair is transplanted from a zone that is not permanent it will fall out and YOU WILL see scars.

If the thought of this happening is worse than being bald DONT DO IT, I stayed up at nights before having surgery thinking of this very scenario, in my case it's unlikely to happpen in your case it's not, just think about it that's all I want, if you've thought about the possibilities thoroughly and you've been fully informed then I've done my job. The worse thing you could ever do is not consider the possibilities and think that a transplant is a sure thing because it is not. One last thing look up "Behappy" he's a poster on here he had a transplant when he was 22.

Norwood 4 Mike in his 30's

tJqA8Il.jpg

Norwood 7 Mike in his 60's

MxEdqz7.jpg

Thanks man! I do appricate your opinion!

Dutchie, the Mike example is why I'm saying he's not a candidate. If he were 40 and willing to start fin and a thinning look would be satisfactory, I'd say he was. But he's 19 and not interested in meds. If he's going to be a cop I think shaved head is the way to go, but a hair system is an option. A transplant would not be a good idea at all because WHEN his sides drop he'll have to transplant that and he could run out of donor.

Shaved head with TEMPORARY SMP is also and option as he leave that behind in the future as well.

I'm not for any permanent solution for this patient at this point or for many years.

This guy is young enough he may see a cure some day. We know now that the follicles are not dead, they just aren't "turned on", so there could be hope for this guy someday. There was some legislation recently passed that will speed up cures for all disease research in the US, which will help research in MPB.

It truly sucks to be in this guys situation. MPB at any age sucks, but at 19 it had to be awful. But there is no better time in to be in this situation up to this point for these reasons :

1.internet: you have support from experienced people all over the world that can keep you from being suckered into a surgery when your not a good candidate.

2. Hair systems: for a lot of young guys, imo, a system is the way to go. You can wait till your a candidate and still live a life with hair if you're willing to put in the effort.

3. Shaving: it's socially acceptable again to shave your head. Business men, athletes, black, white, etc. I don't see that going away either. I'm jealous of this option because it's not one for me because I have a bad scalp condition with no cure. I'm otherwise handsome enough and feel 100 percent sure had I had a normal head would have went this route.

4. Temporary SMP: I'm not sold on permenant smp but temporary smp could be a good option for some people. Its not my thing, but I can't shave, so I haven't given a lot of consideration.

Either way, I don't ever recall a happy ending to a transplant when a majority voice has advised against it. OP does have other options and I advise to consider them and put the ht thing on hold til there is better medical options.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Dutchie, the Mike example is why I'm saying he's not a candidate. If he were 40 and willing to start fin and a thinning look would be satisfactory, I'd say he was. But he's 19 and not interested in meds. If he's going to be a cop I think shaved head is the way to go, but a hair system is an option. A transplant would not be a good idea at all because WHEN his sides drop he'll have to transplant that and he could run out of donor.

Shaved head with TEMPORARY SMP is also and option as he leave that behind in the future as well.

I'm not for any permanent solution for this patient at this point or for many years.

This guy is young enough he may see a cure some day. We know now that the follicles are not dead, they just aren't "turned on", so there could be hope for this guy someday. There was some legislation recently passed that will speed up cures for all disease research in the US, which will help research in MPB.

It truly sucks to be in this guys situation. MPB at any age sucks, but at 19 it had to be awful. But there is no better time in to be in this situation up to this point for these reasons :

1.internet: you have support from experienced people all over the world that can keep you from being suckered into a surgery when your not a good candidate.

2. Hair systems: for a lot of young guys, imo, a system is the way to go. You can wait till your a candidate and still live a life with hair if you're willing to put in the effort.

3. Shaving: it's socially acceptable again to shave your head. Business men, athletes, black, white, etc. I don't see that going away either. I'm jealous of this option because it's not one for me because I have a bad scalp condition with no cure. I'm otherwise handsome enough and feel 100 percent sure had I had a normal head would have went this route.

4. Temporary SMP: I'm not sold on permenant smp but temporary smp could be a good option for some people. Its not my thing, but I can't shave, so I haven't given a lot of consideration.

Either way, I don't ever recall a happy ending to a transplant when a majority voice has advised against it. OP does have other options and I advise to consider them and put the ht thing on hold til there is better medical options.

What do you mean with ''the sides drop'' Will my sides drop in the end as well?

• Administrators

Foreverblue,

You've decided against medications and live a healthy drug free lifestyle that's good news I think that's a good decision. There are things that happen in life tragedies that make you a stronger better person, I really believe that going bald in my 20's helped develop me in to the person I am today. When I think of what happened to me I'm glad it was me and not my brother, because I know I'm mentally stronger.

It sounds cliche but it's true it can always be worse, right now hair is everything and rightfully so, but as time passes it gets more socially acceptable, on Christmas Eve I ran in to one of my old classmates from high school, he was our waiter at a restaurant, he's a Norwood 6 with diffuse loss, when I mentioned he was my classmate no one said anything about his hair, now I'm not going to pretend like being in your early 30's is the same as being 19, but I just want to highlight the fact that with time it becomes more socially acceptable.

There are guys here who are Norwood 2 or 3 almost 50 and they still can't accept it, so no one is faulting you for feeling the way you do, but trust me as you age you will care about it more than those around you, right now it's not that way and I know that because I went through it, when I was 26 I went to a barber to get my haircut and he asked me my age, when I told him 26 he looked at me with a look I'll never forget it was a look of pity, older guys don't and can't understand this unless they've lived it, I have that's why I empathize with you, but it's best to be smart and not make decisions based off of emotions.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Foreverblue,

You've decided against medications and live a healthy drug free lifestyle that's good news I think that's a good decision. There are things that happen in life tragedies that make you a stronger better person, I really believe that going bald in my 20's helped develop me in to the person I am today. When I think of what happened to me I'm glad it was me and not my brother, because I know I'm mentally stronger.

It sounds cliche but it's true it can always be worse, right now hair is everything and rightfully so, but as time passes it gets more socially acceptable, on Christmas Eve I ran in to one of my old classmates from high school, he was our waiter at a restaurant, he's a Norwood 6 with diffuse loss, when I mentioned he was my classmate no one said anything about his hair, now I'm not going to pretend like being in your early 30's is the same as being 19, but I just want to highlight the fact that with time it becomes more socially acceptable.

There are guys here who are Norwood 2 or 3 almost 50 and they still can't accept it, so no one is faulting you for feeling the way you do, but trust me as you age you will care about it more than those around you, right now it's not that way and I know that because I went through it, when I was 26 I went to a barber to get my haircut and he asked me my age, when I told him 26 he looked at me with a look I'll never forget it was a look of pity, older guys don't and can't understand this unless they've lived it, I have that's why I empathize with you, but it's best to be smart and not make decisions based off of emotions.

That's fair enough mate. Your hair transplant result is fantastic so yuo should be thankful now.

While I favor trying meds, I like this suggestion in your case. I like the fact that it's temporary. You can experiment, with no long term consequences.

Also, it is true that much progress is being made medically. Down the road there might well be an effective treatment using, for example, stem cells.

A classmate from my school days was basically a slick NW5 at 18. His dad was late 30s with slick NW 6.5 so the writing was on the wall.

I've not seen him in 20 years but from Facebook I can see that he totally wears a system. It is very impressive and had I not known he was bald I could not have known. Only in a couple of photos did I notice a slight miss match in hair length and colour around the sides. That is all that gave it away if you were looking for it.

I would go down that route until you hit late 20s. By then you should have a better idea of where the donor area is heading. As mentioned by someone else there may be other treatments on the market by then although that is something of a long shot.

The problem with getting a transplant now is that the hair could just disappear in 5 years time because the donor is not stable. You could end up bald again and have to hide scars.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Administrators
That's fair enough mate. Your hair transplant result is fantastic so yuo should be thankful now.

I am really thankful, and that's why I stay on this board to help guys out like you, I just wanted to share with you my own hair loss progression, to show you that things DO in fact get worse.

Here is a photo when I was your age 19 no signs of hair loss I had thick hair, so thick you couldn't see scalp even when my hair was wet.

bs5QYfu.jpg

Fast forward 4 years later at 23, not that bad sides are high and crown is in tact.

z4n4E9O.jpg?1

Fast forward 2 years later 25 you can see my hairline got worse, I'm on the right side, I did and still go to the gym regularly to compensate for going bald, it helps your mental health I recommend it.

StfMtMF.jpg?1

Now between 25-28 I lost A TON of hair this is when my hair loss got bad, the photo Im going to show you is me at my lowest point, I am 29 in this photo.

MHXpPCM.jpg

I wanted to share my story for two reasons, 1. To show you that I do know what you are feeling as I have felt it, its easy for someone whose never been through it to tell you "shave your head" but if they've never experienced their youth robbed like we have then it almost becomes insulting. Reason number 2. I wanted to show you how aggressive hair loss can be in your 20's, it is virtually impossible to know where you'll end up in your early 20's, when I was 23 I would've never thought I would get as bald as I got at 29, but it happened and being through what I went through I am much more grateful than the average Norwood 2 or 3 that's my age. Really consider a system, there is no risk if you don't like it don't wear it simple.

View my thread

I am really thankful, and that's why I stay on this board to help guys out like you, I just wanted to share with you my own hair loss progression, to show you that things DO in fact get worse.

Here is a photo when I was your age 19 no signs of hair loss I had thick hair, so thick you couldn't see scalp even when my hair was wet.

bs5QYfu.jpg

Fast forward 4 years later at 23, not that bad sides are high and crown is in tact.

z4n4E9O.jpg?1

Fast forward 2 years later 25 you can see my hairline got worse, I'm on the right side, I did and still go to the gym regularly to compensate for going bald, it helps your mental health I recommend it.

StfMtMF.jpg?1

Now between 25-28 I lost A TON of hair this is when my hair loss got bad, the photo Im going to show you is me at my lowest point, I am 29 in this photo.

MHXpPCM.jpg

I wanted to share my story for two reasons, 1. To show you that I do know what you are feeling as I have felt it, its easy for someone whose never been through it to tell you "shave your head" but if they've never experienced their youth robbed like we have then it almost becomes insulting. Reason number 2. I wanted to show you how aggressive hair loss can be in your 20's, it is virtually impossible to know where you'll end up in your early 20's, when I was 23 I would've never thought I would get as bald as I got at 29, but it happened and being through what I went through I am much more grateful than the average Norwood 2 or 3 that's my age. Really consider a system, there is no risk if you don't like it don't wear it simple.

Are you bald nowadays as well?

The only problem with temp. SMP is the health and safety concerns, Lorenzo' case for example.

Research it a lot as it seems some of the temp. inks may have safety issues.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• Administrators

Simple answer he's not 19 years old, he looks to be in his early maybe mid 30's, he also has quite a bit of native hair left, it's never good to go in thinking "so and so got a good result so will I" no two people are the same, hair thickness, head size, skin to hair color contrast all play a role in the cosmetic outcome. Just because one guy got 14,000 grafts doesn't mean I will we are two different people. Just because someone gets a good result at a certain clinic doesn't mean you will there are no guarantees in surgery anyone who guarantees you anything is lying to you.

Dr. Bernstein explains why getting an HT at your age is not a good idea

View my thread

Simple answer he's not 19 years old, he looks to be in his early maybe mid 30's, he also has quite a bit of native hair left, it's never good to go in thinking "so and so got a good result so will I" no two people are the same, hair thickness, head size, skin to hair color contrast all play a role in the cosmetic outcome. Just because one guy got 14,000 grafts doesn't mean I will we are two different people. Just because someone gets a good result at a certain clinic doesn't mean you will there are no guarantees in surgery anyone who guarantees you anything is lying to you.

Dr. Bernstein explains why getting an HT at your age is not a good idea

However, I've never said that I'd go for a HT now. I said in the future.