Norwood 4 or 5?

29 years old on finesteride for 5 years. Now on Monoxidil following transplant procedure. Haven't had any further hairloss in around 5 years since been on finesteride. I discovered finesteride too late. I was sold on a ridiculous laser treatment with minoxidil and Saw Palmetto. No one mentioned finesteride. If I had got on finesteride as soon as I started losing hair who knows where I'd be at.

I'd guess you're around a NW4 ( maybe even less) .

4650 should give you great coverage , but in my opinion you could go for less grafts than that and get a great result. I'd only use what you need to and conserve as many grafts as possible for any potential hair loss in the future.

Have you had any consults ( I person or online )?

• Administrators

Jdog it's not what you are now it's where you're headed, you are eventually going to be a Norwood 6. Be conservative, reconstruct the hairline I would say 2,500 grafts for now, I wouldn't touch the crown just yet. You have a higher chance of causing permanent shock loss because of the miniaturization.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You're closer to a NW3v than you are a NW4 but you're really somewhere in between. Your temple recession has progressed to the point that the recession has met in the middle behind your forelock. I can't say that NW6 is inevitable but it should be considered a a potential end point. It also depends on your family history.

I believe less than 4000 grafts are necessary as the front could be addressed easily with 1800 grafts and the crown could use roughly the same. The caveat is that your current density in the forelock looks to be quite high, as does the hair in the mid-scalp. This requires good density with the surgery in order to prevent your result from appearing too thin. It also depends on your hairline desires as the shape and placement can make the estimate swing higher.

I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Learn more about Jerry Cooley MD and Hair Center in Charlotte, NC

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Hair Transplant Consultation With Jerry Cooley MD at HairCenter.com

Hi All,

Surgery has been completed. 4650 FUT grafts. Currently at ugly duckling stage - just over 3 months.

Funny hair is all about the lighting in the room you are in, under a fluroescent light everything and looks worse than what it is.

Photos just after 3 days post op and 3 months post op. Very nervous about it all at this stage.

I wish I could buzz the hair off, this is the tough part of FUT.

IMG_0593.thumb.jpg.c3e6dcfa76c622db7a12b87ae9facf02.jpg

IMG_0510.thumb.jpg.20f089fff68e86d57f0916cd3f91f1be.jpg

IMG_0511.thumb.jpg.0d9363261d4888366244c48d9d1d48e8.jpg

3 months is no fun but it looks like fine hairs have broken through. 4600 should make a great deal of difference.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Odd thread

Agreed with Wibbles, you already had the surgery and your hairloss situation was already diagnosed so not sure what it is the purpose of the post.

Anyway good growing to you.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)