Hiding FUE holes!!

Vult

Oh come on dude...I can empathize with your disappointment, but all cosmetic surgery has risks. You think because a very poor cosmetic result can happen from every type of cosmetic surgery they should all be "forbidden"? I have had 3 successful FUT surgeries and if you would had your way I would have been "forbidden" from having those?

Well if you read through my rant carefully I do conclude that it should be an option to some people. But likewise as you've said it in the end you have a risk factor to contend with, and even if you've done proper research, got a good surgeon (I was convinced Dr Devroye is a good option) you can still end up with a worse situation than you were trying to solve.

Mickey85....Vult states his FUE surgery was 6 years ago.

I suppose one might could argue that FUE today has greatly improved and what most doctors were doing with FUE six years ago is light years away from what they do today?

That is the same story I've heard 6 years ago. That it improved over the past years, and while it certainly is a logical evolution of things there is a fine line as to how small punctures can get. So it can never really get more efficient then the minimum draft size allows it.

Anyway, thanks for posting pictures. Regarding how to fix it, I imagine SMP would help a lot, but I'm not sure if scarred tissue will take the dye well. If you did go down that route, I would take the advice that you have given to others. Have a test done on a handful of the spots to see what happens.

This is the norm that I see... he had 2000 grafts taken out by Dr. De Reys.

That looks like it would be hard to believe that guy did any FUE at all. Not that I don't believe he did it, but how many of such absolutely perfect cases of FUE are there in comparison with average and/or really bad? [edit: well they're not fully invisible and donor area was taken in "straight" lines as well; but punctures are certainly smaller than my]

I've had a really good post op recovery. All the drafts they implanted on me stayed from that point on. Had 0 hair loss. So I've had luck with non-visual aspects of it at least.

Problem with giving such perfect case pictures is that it gives hope to people, as it exactly did to me 6 years ago, and while there are good and bad cases people should also take a moment to notice the bad ones more carefully as the risk involved could easily put them in that boat as well.

I'm an average healthy guy and I've concluded I should've taken the risk at that point.

Bottom line is that you have a guy there with great results, and me with poor results. We've had the same risk factors involved. So if anyone is going through this post in their research thinking if they should do it or not, compare the photos and realize that your emotions are playing an important role and you are more likely to accept risks that in the end no one will ever guarantee you results of, because everyone knows part of those taking it will fail. And it's quite an awkward thing to fail with, lets not think of it as an acceptable failure. You can live with it, but it adds a few kilos of weight on your back.

You will either contend with your current mediocre happiness of the situation and work toward improving it in moderate steps or you are going all in and getting a fully restored or forever wounded state of mind. I wish you the best in your call!

Edited by Vult

Anyway, thanks for posting pictures. Regarding how to fix it, I imagine SMP would help a lot, but I'm not sure if scarred tissue will take the dye well. If you did go down that route, I would take the advice that you have given to others. Have a test done on a handful of the spots to see what happens.

Yeah, I like to shave bald/very short and supposedly they recommend buzz after SMP? So there's something that could work to my advantage! x)

But indeed, I'll have to take my own advice for it. How much experience do you have with SMPs? I've been contemplating that for a while now. How bad are bad cases? :)

• Administrators

To be perfectly honest, you should do nothing to hide your scars, every procedure that could be done is not without its risks, and reading your posts I think the risks outweigh the rewards for you, SMP is relatively new, temporary SMP fades, but another member recently told me that someone asked him if he had tatto'd his head, ask yourself how would you feel if you had this procedure done and this was your outcome?

icL62ZH.jpg

If you are this upset about having tiny dot scars I can not imagine how you would be with a tattoo'd head. I suggest growing your hair slightly longer maybe to a #1 and moving on with your life. You just have to come to terms with not being able to shave your head, there could be worst things in life.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

If you are this upset about having tiny dot scars I can not imagine how you would be with a tattoo'd head. I suggest growing your hair slightly longer maybe to a #1 and moving on with your life. You just have to come to terms with not being able to shave your head, there could be worst things in life.

That's exactly how I'd put it yeah. That's an advice I'd like to take at this point, having came to grips with my current situation fairly well, with an odd ranting forum post here and there but can ya do.

That looks like it would be hard to believe that guy did any FUE at all. Not that I don't believe he did it, but how many of such absolutely perfect cases of FUE are there in comparison with average and/or really bad? [edit: well they're not fully invisible and donor area was taken in "straight" lines as well; but punctures are certainly smaller than my]

I've had a really good post op recovery. All the drafts they implanted on me stayed from that point on. Had 0 hair loss. So I've had luck with non-visual aspects of it at least.

Problem with giving such perfect case pictures is that it gives hope to people, as it exactly did to me 6 years ago, and while there are good and bad cases people should also take a moment to notice the bad ones more carefully as the risk involved could easily put them in that boat as well.

I'm an average healthy guy and I've concluded I should've taken the risk at that point.

Bottom line is that you have a guy there with great results, and me with poor results. We've had the same risk factors involved. So if anyone is going through this post in their research thinking if they should do it or not, compare the photos and realize that your emotions are playing an important role and you are more likely to accept risks that in the end no one will ever guarantee you results of, because everyone knows part of those taking it will fail. And it's quite an awkward thing to fail with, lets not think of it as an acceptable failure. You can live with it, but it adds a few kilos of weight on your back.

You will either contend with your current mediocre happiness of the situation and work toward improving it in moderate steps or you are going all in and getting a fully restored or forever wounded state of mind. I wish you the best in your call!

I'm not cherry picking. The number of bad results does not match the number of good ones.

Just look for transplant pictures of guys getting their 2nd FUE. They have pics taken with their head shaved and their donor almost never looks like your's. There is generally little evidence that anything was done.

Regarding SMP, I don't have any experience with it. But I don't understand HTSoon's warning. You wouldn't be getting your entire head SMP'd. You'd just get it performed on the most obvious holes. And you'd get only a few done at first to see what the effect would be. The risk wouldn't be substantial in the test phase.

I'm not cherry picking. The number of bad results does not match the number of good ones.

Just look for transplant pictures of guys getting their 2nd FUE. They have pics taken with their head shaved and their donor almost never looks like your's.

Almost never? You've seen plenty of picture of people around so I'm not sure why you'd talk nonsense now. Look at Google db of people donor areas

https://www.google.hr/search?q=fue+donor+area+pictures&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjemMrh4-HOAhVCApoKHQDzAscQ_AUICCgB&biw=1920&bih=955

Don't fool people there are plenty of similar, worse and also better examples.

Google images, especially with that search query, won't necessarily provide a random sample. Certain people will be more likely to explicitly post pictures of their donor on the internet.

And it provides samples from people who have gone to any and all surgeons. Most HT surgeons are bad. I only research results from top or at least recommended surgeons.

Google images, especially with that search query, won't necessarily provide a random sample. Certain people will be more likely to explicitly post pictures of their donor on the internet.

And it provides samples from people who have gone to any and all surgeons. Most HT surgeons are bad. I only research results from top or at least recommended surgeons.

Where would you categorize Dr Devroye?

I believe a ratio of people posting pictures is balanced between people doing it out of positive and negative experience. Google displaying all photos put on the internet is a good enough unbiased db to look from. Not perfect but good enough.

I am hence claiming that you are wrong with calling my case especially bad as that will give wrong idea to people reading this. They should take a look at a wide selection of photos and come to a conclusion. Putting my case as "rarely before seen" is wrong and you know it. I'm not even butt hurt by it but just see it as false given the averages seen on the internet.

In the end why is there a consensus that short buzz hair is a no go for hair transplant? One of us is exaggerating.

Although I find this topic interesting & educationalx I do feel there is more good results than bad, but at the same time you be a fool to think there is not a lot more bad ones out there than the general public may think, as the patients who had bad scar results they are more likely not advertise the fact like this poster, a bit like a heavy gambler, as they will always tell you how much they won but rarely if any tell you how much they lost to get there winnings.

The majority of time will always see the FUE / FUT winners especially coming from doctors & clinics, reps & especially the winning patients who advertise the doctor's successful results.

I would like to think positive to say HT is more successful today than it was 5/10 & definitely 15 yrs ago but with these wannabee doctors in wanting to set up shop with a lack of experience just to make extra dollars do concern me, that's why you as much research as possible & go to a HT who at least has 10 yrs plus experience in this business & not some john doe doctor who's only there to make a lot of dollars in the shortest time possible, leave patients in a bad way then head off in the sunset..them days should be over but unfortunately them doctor's are out there & seems like there gaining momentum.

People need to deeply look into doctor's experience, background of all doctors prior HT.

Edited by ontop

I came across this video by Dr.Bhatti, who is one of the top FUE doctors in the world & explains on bad fue harvesting & graft placements.

Please take a few minutes to better understand & educate yourself, so prospective patient's can understand the reality of what cowboys are out there today & like I said that these clinics are popping up everywhere today.

Link at top of post.

Where would you categorize Dr Devroye?

I believe a ratio of people posting pictures is balanced between people doing it out of positive and negative experience. Google displaying all photos put on the internet is a good enough unbiased db to look from. Not perfect but good enough.

I am hence claiming that you are wrong with calling my case especially bad as that will give wrong idea to people reading this. They should take a look at a wide selection of photos and come to a conclusion. Putting my case as "rarely before seen" is wrong and you know it. I'm not even butt hurt by it but just see it as false given the averages seen on the internet.

In the end why is there a consensus that short buzz hair is a no go for hair transplant? One of us is exaggerating.

Google images doesn't display every relevant photo on the internet in a search result. It displays every result that matches the search query. People who are specifically showing their donor and tagging the image with that description are typically posting it for a reason.

I am not saying that there aren't bad results. But I haven't come across an alarming number in my own research. Now, I have a certain definition of bad. Typically, there is evidence of surgery, but it is not usually cosmetically significant enough to outweigh the benefit of gaining a hairline.

And I have heard of Dr. Devroye, but I don't know anything about him and that would be because he is generally not mentioned as a top doctor who I would see worthy of visiting. Maybe he's good, maybe not. But he doesn't seem overly popular. Most of my research has been done on the top European FUE surgeons.

Regarding your last point, that consensus exists to some extent (I don't think it's consensus; more like a common argument) due to pro-FUT enthusiasts slandering FUE in an attempt to argue that it holds no benefits over FUT. Many of these people, including some who frequent and even help run this site, have a financial interest in maintaining FUT's popularity.

Edited by Matt27

Ok I am doing a bit of research on Dr. Devroye and apparently he doesn't even use manuel punches.

His reasoning:

"Indeed, the engine frees one of the hands of the rotation work. The hand so freed focuses much more easily on the orientation of the hand piece and the punch. It also allows to work in normally uncomfortable positions for the hand work. It allows to increase the number of grafts collected in one day. With the hand I reached 1200 grafts a day. With the engine I reach 2000 grafts. It has enabled me to decrease my FUE prices.."

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169281-ultimate-manual-versus-motorized-fue-thread.html

So he values speed and efficiency over quality. This is not someone I would consider seeing, based on my limited knowledge.

This is a recent case by one of the top surgeons available , scarring is very visible even with hair grown . It's pretty obviously an issue for some patients and not others .

How many grafts very extracted? Erdogan's clinic is known for harvesting very large quantities which is not a protocol I agree with.

Ok I am doing a bit of research on Dr. Devroye and apparently he doesn't even use manuel punches.

His reasoning:

"Indeed, the engine frees one of the hands of the rotation work. The hand so freed focuses much more easily on the orientation of the hand piece and the punch. It also allows to work in normally uncomfortable positions for the hand work. It allows to increase the number of grafts collected in one day. With the hand I reached 1200 grafts a day. With the engine I reach 2000 grafts. It has enabled me to decrease my FUE prices.."

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169281-ultimate-manual-versus-motorized-fue-thread.html

So he values speed and efficiency over quality. This is not someone I would consider seeing, based on my limited knowledge.

Yeah that was his story back then. That automated machine that he built for it. I'd agree that it sounds like the beginning of my problems. Could well be the sole reason why it went worse than it had to. Because as said, I've had extraordinary healing time in aspects of it and took it really healthy. No problems whatsoever other than those cursed holes putting me into the "went bad" category.

How many grafts very extracted? Erdogan's clinic is known for harvesting very large quantities which is not a protocol I agree with.

Hey Mickey , 5007 in one surgery!!! To be fair the front and mid scalp look tremendous but the back looks pretty depleted to me ... What's you thoughts on dr lupanzula ? Or dr Lorenzo ?

Hey Mickey , 5007 in one surgery!!! To be fair the front and mid scalp look tremendous but the back looks pretty depleted to me ... What's you thoughts on dr lupanzula ? Or dr Lorenzo ?

The patient was a high norwood prior to surgery. Some surgeons would have simply declined to operate on him considering the large depletion of donor area and the fact the the crown is still barren.

From what I have seen of Dr Lupanzula, I like. He has similar protocols the Dr Bisanga(from what I have seen) in terms of donor conservation, manual tools etc. But I have only seen limited amounts of his work, which do look great. Dr Lorenzo is awesome and has more video documented before/afters than most(all??) other surgeons out there, maybe second to Hasson & Wong in quantity. I do think his yields are incredible.

Thanks for your reply Mickey , totally agree about lorenzos videos they are simply outstanding !! If only more surgeons would present there work like this .

I'm kind of swaying towards doctor lupanzula as he does the work himself with very limited tech involvement , Where as I believe doctor Lorenzo now just more oversees multiple surgeries much like dr erdogan ???

Not saying I wouldn't get a great result with dr Lorenzo or dr erdogan but I think I'd prefer to have the doctor perform my first surgery .

• 3 weeks later...

Valt, has your doctor advised on methods to treat the hypopigmentation and appearance of donor depletion? Also, have you attempted to grow the hair in the recipient? Lastly, have you proceeded to pursue your original goal(s) with solutions other than the consideration of SMP? Thanks for sharing.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 10 months later...

Sorry to push up an old thread, but aside from SMP, is there another option for victims of this?

I have similar gaps where follicles were taken out after FUE. I have fair skin, coarse dark hair. It shows very obviously where the follicles were taken.

Has anyone had experience with taking hair from elsewhere on the body and transplanting to the scalp? I feel like I just need some follicles there to take up the spaces so that it isn't obvious that a FUE was done.

I don't see much abnormal about the OP's pics. Who gets a HT and then friggin shaves his head to basically the bone? I mean no sh*t you will see scarring then. You are going to see every single nick or ding or scar you've had from anything over your whole life. You just don't do it. However, I'd love to see pics of his hair at a number 2 guard or higher....I'd bet the scars would be completely unnoticeable.

I don't see much abnormal about the OP's pics. Who gets a HT and then friggin shaves his head to basically the bone? I mean no sh*t you will see scarring then. You are going to see every single nick or ding or scar you've had from anything over your whole life. You just don't do it. However, I'd love to see pics of his hair at a number 2 guard or higher....I'd bet the scars would be completely unnoticeable.

Sometimes people want to cut their hair in a certain hairstyle that requires shaving parts of your head. For me, I was told that there would be no visible signs of surgery, and unfortunately I believed the doctor. Now I'm hoping that things will improve with time because I want to continue wearing my hair that way. Thats why i'm asking.

He probably shouldn't have said that but he may not have realized how you cut your hair. I would bet if I shaved to the bone that it would look similar but it's completely invisible when I have it shaved even down to like a 2 guard. Depends what you "shaved". I consider OP's hair to be Bic'ed, not shaved. I don't see that getting a ton better....you likely will get some color back. It's like any other scar, though....could take years for it to really fade.

• Administrators
Sometimes people want to cut their hair in a certain hairstyle that requires shaving parts of your head. For me, I was told that there would be no visible signs of surgery, and unfortunately I believed the doctor. Now I'm hoping that things will improve with time because I want to continue wearing my hair that way. Thats why i'm asking.

Scars are permanent, the only thing that will improve is overall density if you have shock loss, however spots that are void of hair will not grow back, once a follicular unit had been removed it's gone forever. You were grossly misinformed there is NO surgery without scarring, if you have pale skin and blonde hair the scars will be harder to detect, but they are definitely there, and if you look closely you will always see spots void of hair because that's what a transplant is, if you remove a plant from the root and place it somewhere else the plant will not grow back unless you plant something else there.

Your options are FUE beard hair to the scalp, I don't recommend this, if you have issues with spots on the back of your head that most don't see, I don't think putting spots on your face would be a wise choice. The other option is to smp the donor, this would fix the issue, however you'll have to maintain the smp every few years. The best option that would be free, is to grow the sides a bit longer and conceal the spots, I understand a razor fade may be a popular haircut at the moment, but I doubt you're going to be razor fading your hair forever, I would grow it out to a zero guard see if it's noticeable and go up from there, highest grade I go is a #1.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

His reasoning:

I'm having a HT on Sept 20-21 The Dr says he can only do about 2200 FUT in a day. He has been doing it for over 26 yrs. So needing 25-2700 I am glad he scheduled it for 2 days...