Pimples in transplanted area.....

PSB1013

I'm about 5 weeks post-op after FUE (2500 grafts). I'm getting a lot of pimples in the transplanted area and some areas are red and itchy. Is this normal? My doctor is recommending that I go on oral antibiotics.

Yes, I had pimples develop, some more irritating than others. As others have posted don't go poking them with dirty fingers.

Your pimples are absolutely normal and expected. Try not to pick or squeeze them, they will take care of themselves. Sometimes hairs, especially in the donor area are fighting to break through the skin after an area has been closely cut. Unless one gets infected, try to leave them alone. This will continue to occur for several weeks or more.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I am surprised your doctor is putting you on oral antibiotics for something that is normal.

Mine started at week 5, went away for a few weeks and then came back week 8 and continue at this moment. I see it as signs hair growth is happening. But I am talking "a few" at a time. If you have 30 or something than it's an issue.

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

I agree with thisguy1 - Unless you develop an infection of some sort, I don't see why he's recommending you take antibiotics. Pimples are totally normal and are to be expected after a HT.

Keep them clean and resist the urge to pop them and you should be fine. And if you can't keep yourself from doing this, at least make sure your hands, fingers, and scalp are all super clean so as to prevent infection.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

The only time I recommend a patient be put on antibiotic is if the are getting several pimple like lesion in a small area that is inflamed and very painful with some sort of drainage. If they are just sporadic pimples I recommend hot compresses which usually relieves the situation. Usually these lesions are a sign of hairs starting to grow. So just hang in there and be patient.