Best Hair Transplant Doctor in NY/NJ ?

I had a transplant about 10 years ago and not happy with it. I should have known to check out the doc but I didn't know about this sight and i'm not going to make that mistake again. My first surgery was done in the midwest but I'm moving to New Jersey this summer and would like someone close but someone who is good, trustworthy, and highly experienced. The things I did not have the last time. That doctor doesn't even work in the same building anymore. Who is the best in NY or NJ. I see a lot of docs listed and can use help in making my choice.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Feller hands down.

Sorry you had a bad experience in the past but i think all the docs listed in NY and NJ are very good, but Dr. Feller stands out because he did an exceptional job on two of my friends and has many happy patients of his on here. I have also met many happy past patients of his at his office. If you visit him you will probably even get to see a surgery as it is being performed which is pretty cool.

Edited by HairJo

I won't challenge HairJo in that Dr. Feller and now Dr. Bloxham are a reputable and respected practice. Dr. Feller has a long history of solid work. Dr. Bloxham is newer.

If you are in the NY area I would also strongly recommend a consult with Dr. Wesley, who is showing very strong results. Also happens to be an extremely kind guy.

As a fellow NY'er, its worth mentioning that I decided to travel because some of the best surgeons are outside of New York and you should honestly never make such a big decision based on location, but on results. That said, you actually have two of the world's best in your backyard right now, in Dr. Konior in Chicago and Dr. Ron Shapiro in Minneapolis. Do consult with both of them.

Is this a repair surgery or simply a second surgery with a better surgeon? That would influence the above. Also, are you considering FUT or FUE? That will also play a factor.

Post a few pictures if you can too.

I had a transplant about 10 years ago and not happy with it. I should have known to check out the doc but I didn't know about this sight and i'm not going to make that mistake again. My first surgery was done in the midwest but I'm moving to New Jersey this summer and would like someone close but someone who is good, trustworthy, and highly experienced. The things I did not have the last time. That doctor doesn't even work in the same building anymore. Who is the best in NY or NJ. I see a lot of docs listed and can use help in making my choice.

Don't limit yourself to NY/NJ surgeons. I did that for my 1st procedure, and deeply regret not having been more open to travelling. The reality is that some of the top surgeons are just not located in the NY/NJ area. Feller, Wesley, and Dorin are all very good surgeons, but they are just not in the class as the likes of Hasson, Lorenzo, Rahal. In addition, the NY surgeons are very expensive and you are definitely paying an unnecessary premium just because its New York. Dr Feller won't perform FUE unless you don't qualify for strip FUT, whilst Dr Wesley and Dr Dorin don't perform mega-sessions above 2,500 or so grafts. I went to Dr Rahal for my 2nd procedure, and the travel wasn't a factor at all, I got a much better price, and I believe am going to get a much better result than if I picked one of the NY surgeons.

Edited by mav23100gunther

Dr. Feller. No doubt the best in NY and probably the entire country.

It's one thing to say you recommend Dr. Feller because of his track record, its another thing entirely to say he's the best surgeon in the country.

Most would consider the "Big 4" on FUT to be H+W, Rahal, SMG, and Konior. The names most likely to come up next are Cooley and Gabel. For FUE there's another list of names, which would not include Feller....Rather, Feller + Bloxham.

OP, listen to Mav and others--consult with as many doctors as possible and do not limit yourself geographically. Talk to all of them.

Rahal is a relatively short flight away, and there's a travel discount PLUS a really, really favorable exchange rate right now. You'll be getting one of, if not THE, best surgeons in the world at a steal of a price.

I'll add a shout-out for Dr. Cooley also, who's one of the very, very best and doesn't get enough credit. He's in North Carolina, so also not very far. I traveled from Seattle to Ottawa to see Dr. Rahal, and traveling for a procedure really isn't a big deal.

It's one thing to say you recommend Dr. Feller because of his track record, its another thing entirely to say he's the best surgeon in the country.

Most would consider the "Big 4" on FUT to be H+W, Rahal, SMG, and Konior. The names most likely to come up next are Cooley and Gabel. For FUE there's another list of names, which would not include Feller....Rather, Feller + Bloxham.

OP, listen to Mav and others--consult with as many doctors as possible and do not limit yourself geographically. Talk to all of them.

I guess we all have our favorite doctors. Have to disagree with your big four. I've done extensive research and can say without doubt that Feller is the best in the United States. I hardly see results from Cooley, Gabel, or SMG. Feller puts out results almost weekly. He's not afraid to put it out there which concerns me about other doctors who hardly put up their work. Konior is good and I put him in the same class with Dr Feller but I would like to see more patients put up by him.

Scotty with all due respect, you may have some catching up to do:

Feller is no longer Feller, but Feller and Bloxham. It's unfortunate this has to be clarified by members, but they now operate together, and you can no longer select ONLY Dr. Feller for your procedure-meaning critical aspects of your surgery may be performed by someone less experienced. A great young doctor we are all rooting for, but inexperienced nonetheless. This fundamentally changes things moving forward.

I dont want to hijack the thread with a "whos best" debate, rather, provide the OP with options that would be a consensus amongst the forum members.

OP- I do recommend the search button for years of past results. There are hundreds of pages available. Some doctors mentioned less today were actively mentioned 6 months ago and vice versa. I searched about 5 years of results. The info is there if you want it.

I guess we all have our favorite doctors. Have to disagree with your big four. I've done extensive research and can say without doubt that Feller is the best in the United States. I hardly see results from Cooley, Gabel, or SMG. Feller puts out results almost weekly. He's not afraid to put it out there which concerns me about other doctors who hardly put up their work. Konior is good and I put him in the same class with Dr Feller but I would like to see more patients put up by him.

I looked through a lot of Feller's pics when I was researching and preferred Wong's crown work, Rahal's hairlines, and when it comes to transforming NW6/7s through mega-sessions, the bad man Dr Hasson is untouched. I do think that Dr Feller produces some very good work, but I actually never even bothered to consult with him in person as I was turned off by his bedside manner on this forum. I could very well have cut off my nose to spite my face, but have absolutely no regrets about who I landed on for my 2nd procedure. I do agree that Feller is putting out a lot more work than others, and he really does utilize this forum very effectively as a marketing machine and I think that his intentions are actually very genuine at times, but remember that its the quality of the work over quantity that counts, and like I said, I felt like I was seeing better hairlines from Rahal, better crown's from Wong, and better transformations by Hasson. In fact, can you point to a Dr Feller transformation that was better than SunnyCool's who had his procedure with Shapiro?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

If i were to go for a strip HT right now in 2016 I would choose Hasson and Wong, or SMG, but if i was confined to NY/NJ area then Feller + Bloxham, even with Dr B still making his bones you still have the same techs there implanting the grafts and Dr Feller observing, but it's best to be willing to travel to where you believe you'll get the best result.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

MrKelly:

I agree with the posters recommending Dr Feller (or Feller & Bloxham) in the New York/New Jersey area. I understand the sentiment behind traveling to receive the best result, but that doesn't mean you must travel if you are fortunate enough to have an expert clinic in your area. With Feller this close, I think this applies.

I consulted with both Dr Feller and Dr Bloxham a few months ago. I actually spoke with Dr Bloxham for probably 30 minutes and he showed me around the clinic too. A patient having an FUT surgery that day even consented to let me peek in one of the procedure rooms, and Dr Bloxham explained what was occurring as the technicians were implanting follicles. Everything about the operation is expert level. I can't imagine it being much different at other top FUT clinics.

If my experience was different, I would likely advise traveling too. However, the idea of a flight after surgery is becoming less appealing to me the more research I do. And it would be ideal to go to one of the well established clinics (like Dr Konior/Chicago Hair Institute, Hasson & Wong) without extensive travel. I believe Feller & Bloxham offer North-Eastern US patients this opportunity.

I'm still researching myself, but I wanted to share my thoughts. I do hope you are able to find a clinic that fits your needs.

Research, research, research!

Doctors I'm considering:

FUT:

-Feller

-Hasson

-Konior

MrKelly:

I agree with the posters recommending Dr Feller (or Feller & Bloxham) in the New York/New Jersey area. I understand the sentiment behind traveling to receive the best result, but that doesn't mean you must travel if you are fortunate enough to have an expert clinic in your area. With Feller this close, I think this applies.

I consulted with both Dr Feller and Dr Bloxham a few months ago. I actually spoke with Dr Bloxham for probably 30 minutes and he showed me around the clinic too. A patient having an FUT surgery that day even consented to let me peek in one of the procedure rooms, and Dr Bloxham explained what was occurring as the technicians were implanting follicles. Everything about the operation is expert level. I can't imagine it being much different at other top FUT clinics.

If my experience was different, I would likely advise traveling too. However, the idea of a flight after surgery is becoming less appealing to me the more research I do. And it would be ideal to go to one of the well established clinics (like Dr Konior/Chicago Hair Institute, Hasson & Wong) without extensive travel. I believe Feller & Bloxham offer North-Eastern US patients this opportunity.

I'm still researching myself, but I wanted to share my thoughts. I do hope you are able to find a clinic that fits your needs.

Again though, choosing Feller now means choosing Feller + Bloxham. It's important new posters are aware of this fundamental change to their practice. Good Luck with your choice.

• Administrators

For the price you're paying with feller, there are far better options with more experience and more affordable, it's very likely that Dr. Bloxham will perform most of the procedure, not to discredit him, but he's only been practicing for a year. All things considered price, experience etc. I think there are better options. Neve let location dictate your procedure.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

What's wrong here? I ask about doctors in NY or NJ and I get guys on here telling me to go to doctors in canada? The only NY doctor that stood out was Dr. Feller. None in NJ? I check out Dr. Feller's results on his profile and they are incredible. I wish I had those results. He also has a remarkable number of patients, a lot more than my last doctor who didn't have more than six or seven on his website. I should have known. Now I know.

I'm going to visit with Dr. Feller and see what he can do for me. Maybe he can help with this doll head I was given and paid for (what a waste). I have a good donor area as it is nice and thick. But have lost more in the top since the first go around. Maybe he can help me.

What's wrong here? I ask about doctors in NY or NJ and I get guys on here telling me to go to doctors in canada? The only NY doctor that stood out was Dr. Feller. None in NJ? I check out Dr. Feller's results on his profile and they are incredible. I wish I had those results. He also has a remarkable number of patients, a lot more than my last doctor who didn't have more than six or seven on his website. I should have known. Now I know.

I'm going to visit with Dr. Feller and see what he can do for me. Maybe he can help with this doll head I was given and paid for (what a waste). I have a good donor area as it is nice and thick. But have lost more in the top since the first go around. Maybe he can help me.

You were given a list of the best doctors in the world in response to your initial question b/c believe it or not you're not the first person to arrive on this forum and pose this very question. The answer is always-choose the best surgeon, not the most convenient location. You were also reminded that two of the world's best are literally in your midwest backyard.

These are the facts. Your decision what to do with it. Best of luck. If you're unwilling to travel, Dr. Wesley in NY should be on your list.

What's wrong here? I ask about doctors in NY or NJ and I get guys on here telling me to go to doctors in canada? my last doctor who didn't have more than six or seven on his website. I should have known. Now I know.

Absolutely nothing is wrong here. People are giving you outstanding advice, especially by recommending that you travel to Canada. I believe it is a mistake to pick your surgeon based on geography alone. Absolutely nothing wrong with traveling, in fact it is smart to consider it. Look at Win, Mav, Home,Kuji and Esrec to name a few. All live in the NY/NJ area, and all travelled out of state for their procedures - I wonder why that is. If you research hard enough, and still land on a NY/NJ surgeon, then good for you, but if you are only going to consider NY/NJ surgeons then I am afraid you are eliminating some true gems. Good luck mate!

depending on the type of work you want, nj or ny docs may assist you with your concerns. If you need those large megasession docs that mostly post mega session results, then west coast or international travel may be something to review too. Its up to you, prices vary with docs but even the low billers can get you where you need to be. Best thing to do is ask docs everything in writing,

What will they do?

What happens to your deposit if you change dates or cancel?

What happens if result is not good? Will you hammer me or will you fix me or will you refund me?

If there is more than one person that questions my result on forums, will you fix the situation on my scalp free of charge? What is your guarantee?

Will you allow me to see the surgical forms i need to fill prior to me paying you a deposit?

What is your surgical protocol?

Am i the only patient or will there be more than 1 the day of my surgery?

Who will work on me for my surgery?

These are just some of the many questions you can ask nj or ny docs to see what they say and if they make you comfortable being their patient.

To the OP's question. I would absolutely consult with Feller. He doesn't put any time or resources into keeping his website up to date. If you consult with him, he can show you a dozen cases similar to yours he has stored on his computer.

I know in my case, it was reassuring to see outcomes of patients that had similar hair loss/characteristics as mine.

I'm not saying you shouldn't also consult with some of the fine doctor's that have already been mentioned here, But I think including Feller in your consultation list is appropriate.

I've had one procedure with Feller and another with Feller + Bloxham just one month ago......

Visit Dr. Feller. He's in the Long Island town of Great Neck, not NYC. He's a cut above and a class act. Thousands of patient results and he puts out current photos all the time.

Thank you everyone for your help. I have already been in contact with Dr. Feller and Bloxham's office and spoke to Cathy the receptionist. Very accommodating. I tried to get in for a consult next week but they are all booked so I'll be going there the week after to meet with the doctors and I was assured I will meet with the actual doctors not a salesperson. I explained my past experience to Cathy and she listened very patiently and really helped me. She told me her son just had a transplant surgery there so that makes me feel very good about using them for my surgery. I'll update after the visit. I'm looking so forward to getting my hairline to normal or even better (hoping!!!).

Thank you everyone for your help. I have already been in contact with Dr. Feller and Bloxham's office and spoke to Cathy the receptionist. Very accommodating. I tried to get in for a consult next week but they are all booked so I'll be going there the week after to meet with the doctors and I was assured I will meet with the actual doctors not a salesperson. I explained my past experience to Cathy and she listened very patiently and really helped me. She told me her son just had a transplant surgery there so that makes me feel very good about using them for my surgery. I'll update after the visit. I'm looking so forward to getting my hairline to normal or even better (hoping!!!).

Did she tell you that you would meet with Dr Feller or just Dr Bloxham?