So many surgeons to choose from - how did 'you' decide?

Vpac

Hi guys, I am just about to turn 30 and decided to go ahead with an FUE transplant in 2016. All I'm left with now is the huge task of decided which surgeon to go too and I'm hoping you can help me out here.

There are so many threads of surgeons posting good results, and fellow posters show casing their successful transplants - that I can go from opening one thread to the next and think "wow what a great result, I should get a consultation with this surgeon" then I'll open another thread, and another, and I'll have 10 threads open thinking all the surgeons are great - but how do I decide which one would be best for me?

I am lucky in that my work is flexible and I'll be able to book 4-5 weeks off post-surgery. It's also office based so I'm not worried about stares, etc. I am in the UK but have previously traveled to California, Dubai and India, so going abroad far and wide isn't an issue.

The only thing that does limit me is the cost. I can stick with the UK and shell out 6000GBP but then again I also realize if I can get a similar result abroad for cheaper, or for the same price at a better quality, then why not? I can go to India and pay half that, or travel to USA and might pay the same price overall, but have a much better surgeon and outcome. I have enough saved to go with some of the more expensive surgeons, but it's the question of cost vs effectiveness vs risk. I wouldn't mind paying a lot if I was guaranteed a fantastic result, but as some of us will have seen, nothing is guaranteed even when the great surgeons.

The doctors I like so far are Dr Bhatti (India), Dr Diep (California) and Dr. Koray Erdogan (Turkey). But then I've also read great things by Dr Bisanga (Belgium) and Dr Lorenzo (Spain). All of their prices vary slightly.

If anyone can help me out here it would be much appreciated. If you can advise which surgeon you would recommend - even those not on my list - as well as what things I should consider to make my decision.

I also want to say a big thanks to everyone who posts their results on this forum. Especially those that come back 12+ months post-op and have had great results.

Can you share pictures? It might help give context and influence the recommendation you receive--ie some doctors better on hairline vs crown.

You've got some good names there if you're committed to FUE.

I can post pics but I am inclined not to do so at the moment - the reason being that I have sent pictures to a number of hair surgeons for consultations that also frequent these forums and in the interest of confidentiality would like to keep them private for now. But I will show some examples I've found on Google images. Once I have had my transplant I will definitely be sharing my experiences and results.

I have thinning on the crown very similar to this http://www.thewestminsterpractice.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/27-th-feb-09-5-300x225.jpg

I also have some hair loss at the front, which is similar to the before pictures on this (left-hand side) though mine probably isn't as bad.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/tBryR75_jT8/hqdefault.jpg

I have been taking propecia since April and though my hair loss has stabilized I've not noticed any considerable re-growth. I am looking to have 1200 grafts at the crown/mid-scalp and about 800-1000 grafts for the hairline.

Have you considered a traditional HT strip method. You might really want to consider that option before you commit to FUE. I think you would get a better result just my opinion but I've seen some pretty bad FUE videos with the handling and the extractions . I personally would check out Dr. Feller in New York he does both methods and is one of the top docs.Good luck to you .

I took a drive, met the doctor, and met a patient.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

It’s not easy, but you won’t decide in a couple of weeks. Although an individual patient's hair loss pattern and hair characteristics are similar to yours, you can only gain so much insight as to what to expect from two specific surgeons. Crown restoration, hairline restoration, and temple work should be researched heavily, especially if you are expecting not to be noticed as a hair transplant patient.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Speak with as many top doctors as you can. Ask them to explain in detail their gameplan for you and why that will be efffective both for the short and long term. Plan for post op recovery and factor best / worst case scenarios. Ask for patient recommendations, and ask to see pictures of patients with a similar profile to yours.

Personally, I asked a few unorthodox questions because I wanted to better understand the character of the person operating on me. I wanted to know how they decided to become a HT surgeon, what they find most challenging and why they enjoy it. A passionate and committed doctor is usually a better one.

Lastly, I asked each physician (sometimes their assistant too) who they would have perform surgery on them. Important moment of humility, and also shows who they think are the best. Think of it as the most important interview of your life.

No one's mentioned this point but I think it's important. Some surgeons tend to focus on certain types of patients or certain patient groups. It definitely seems to me that some surgeons are more focused on younger patients, earlier hair loss, frontal reconstruction, etc. Conversely, some surgeons are definitely focused on older males with more advanced hair loss. It may help if you find a surgeon who is more experienced with patients that look similar to you and to have similar problems to you. Another way to say this is that if you look like the before patients for a given surgeon, and you like their outcomes, that is something to take into consideration.

I made my decision in this order:

1. Track record & results.

2. Distance ( other side of the world ) meaning 30 hour one way flights.

3. Price.

Most say price should not be a factor...That's fine if you're "The Donald".

Mostly just do your homework & go in educated.

Good Luck!

Hi Vpac,

When making my decision with whom to go with, I was influenced by the research I did prior to booking my HT.

I read through numerous patient reviews and results and shortlisted a number of doctors like you have already done so.

I didn't want to pay silly money in the UK to have my HT performed by a relatively unknown doctor, surely if his results were that good, at least some of his patients would be inclined to document their fantastic results online. I also felt uneasy with the hard sell approach I experienced in the Uk.

I extensively searched the internet for posts, interviews and articles by my shortlisted doctors, and I must say I also searched for complaints. I also viewed facebook and linkedin profiles. All this helped me build up a character profile and the next question I asked myself was, would I feel comfortable with this doctor performing HT on me?

The professionalism of the website and general communication via email was also a swaying factor in my final decision.

In the end I went for Dr Bhatti and I haven't looked back since. I suppose another thing you could do is actually go out and meet past patients if they are OK with that. Seeing the results and talking about the experience of others in person will help you make your final decision. I could be a start.

I sincerely hope the above helps you and your final decision is the best decision for you.........All the best!

Dr Bhatti FUE Oct 2014 3305 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178931-my-fue-dr-tejinder-bhatti-oct-2014-a.html

Edited by Shera

Thanks for all the replies. I have a few questions that have come to mind since doing more research and instead of starting a new thread thought I'd pop them in here and hopefully someone will be kind enough to reply :)

1. in FUE the difference between motorized vs manual extraction. Which would you guys recommend is better and why.

2. Shock loss of existing hair after transplant - What is this, when does it occur, is it temporary/permanent?

Have you considered a traditional HT strip method. You might really want to consider that option before you commit to FUE.

I am definitely going with FUE only as I prefer to style my back and sides short, usually a #3 or #2 guard.

I took a drive, met the doctor, and met a patient.

Heh, thanks. I've met the only two recommended hair loss clinics on this forum in the UK for consultations, and a third which isn't recommended but has done a few high profile transplants. One of them told me they won't operate on me because I have don't have significant hair loss and my age, which was a bit bizarre. Another I didn't like the surgeons dismissive answer to my questions and rush to get me out, as well as charging a hefty fee for a consultation. The third seemed like he knew what he was talking about, told me what was realistic, listened to my questions, but the price seemed quite steep for what I can get compared in India, Turkey - and likewise at that same price point I could probably go USA and get a top surgeon. But from the work I have seen, he seems the most logical if I stayed in the UK and probably the best.

How is my density,how many grafts do you think you can get , how much does it cost. should I get an HT vs FUE which procedure would give me the Best results these are some of the questions I would ask

Good questions - density is one that no one has brought up before, neither from me nor the surgeons.

Speak with as many top doctors as you can. Ask them to explain in detail their gameplan for you and why that will be efffective both for the short and long term. Plan for post op recovery and factor best / worst case scenarios. Ask for patient recommendations, and ask to see pictures of patients with a similar profile to yours.

Thanks.

No one's mentioned this point but I think it's important. Some surgeons tend to focus on certain types of patients or certain patient groups. It definitely seems to me that some surgeons are more focused on younger patients, earlier hair loss, frontal reconstruction, etc. Conversely, some surgeons are definitely focused on older males with more advanced hair loss. It may help if you find a surgeon who is more experienced with patients that look similar to you and to have similar problems to you. Another way to say this is that if you look like the before patients for a given surgeon, and you like their outcomes, that is something to take into consideration.

Another good point, I think that may be the reason why one of the UK clinics I visited told me they wouldn't operate on me because of my age. I look at the work of Dr Bhatti in India and several of those in Turkey and they do seem to operate more on younger patients.

I made my decision in this order:

1. Track record & results.

2. Distance ( other side of the world ) meaning 30 hour one way flights.

3. Price.

Most say price should not be a factor...That's fine if you're "The Donald".

Mostly just do your homework & go in educated.

Good Luck!

Thanks buddy, yes overall price does matter - to say it doesn't would be a lie. Travel wise - as I'm in UK i'm smack bang in the middle if I want to go USA, or go east and can closer to home in Europe or further away in Turkey, India.

In the end I went for Dr Bhatti and I haven't looked back since. I suppose another thing you could do is actually go out and meet past patients if they are OK with that. Seeing the results and talking about the experience of others in person will help you make your final decision. I could be a start.

Thanks for your very detailed reply Shera, and I'm happy for your results with Dr Bhatti. Yes he is very prompt in his e-mail reply as I have been in communication with him, and his prices are very very reasonable when you take into account the GBP and Rupees exchange rate. One question mark I have though is whether his transplants look natural compared to the really top surgeons like Lorenzo, Bisanga, and those in USA like Diep who seems to be a master of natural hairlines. I am thinking I may just go to somewhere like India/Turkey for the crown as it hopefully won't matter as much, and then spend a bigger pot of money on the names I've just mentioned for the hairline. Would love to get your opinion on that.

Then crown is known as the black hole of grafts. You need a lot to make a difference. Its important you choose a Dr that can provide good crown results. Recreating the natural pattern of a crown is quite a skilled task. As it grows in a whirl type pattern mostly.

Certainly be careful about using up too much of your donor. There are plenty of crown cases posted on this forum.

Crown is considered the "black hole" by many. Be careful not to take that lightly. Its very challenging to achieve full coverage and density.

And while they are more expertly with FUT, I would view some of Konior and Shapiro's more recent FUE work if you're committed to that direction. Your list so far is strong as well.

Thanks for your very detailed reply Shera, and I'm happy for your results with Dr Bhatti. Yes he is very prompt in his e-mail reply as I have been in communication with him, and his prices are very very reasonable when you take into account the GBP and Rupees exchange rate. One question mark I have though is whether his transplants look natural compared to the really top surgeons like Lorenzo, Bisanga, and those in USA like Diep who seems to be a master of natural hairlines. I am thinking I may just go to somewhere like India/Turkey for the crown as it hopefully won't matter as much, and then spend a bigger pot of money on the names I've just mentioned for the hairline. Would love to get your opinion on that.

Hi Vpac, you are right in saying the price of going to see Dr Bhatti in India is very favourable right now when you consider the current exchange rate for the UK Pound.

As for the natural hairline, I think Dr Bhatti's recent work has evolved to address any hairline issue that may have historically existed and his hairlines are now on a par with the worlds best......in my opinion. I certainly don't have any issues with the hairline he created for me and it certainly has never been pointed out as being anything less than spectacular with regards to where I started.

Personally if I wasn't comfortable with a surgeon doing my hairline, I certainly wouldn't let him anywhere near my crown. I would advise you to get all the work completed by the same surgeon in one visit if possible. If you wish to see Dr Bhatti's work in person, just let me know, I will PM you my details. Again I hope that helps.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178931-my-fue-dr-tejinder-bhatti-oct-2014-a.html

Edited by Shera

Thanks again Shera - Dr Bhatti is definitely at the top of my pile.

Having done more research, I really like what Dr Koray Erdogan is doing at ASMED. The only problem is I have completed their website online consultation form and did not hear anything back and 9 days had passed by. Someone on this forum suggested to e-mail them directly because they have english translators who only look at the consultations a few hours a day. I did yesterday so hopefully I get a response. I am slightly disappointed by ASMED that they didn't respond to my online consultation form that is on THEIR website. I'm not sure what other option I have if I don't get a response - all that fancy website and design and you don't even hear back from them.

Are they any other doc's you guys would recommend in Turkey or India that specialize in FUE besides Bhatti and Erdogan?

Hi Vpac,

Dr Koray Erdogan is also an excellent surgeon, I have seen some of his work in person and it is very good. However if you made an enquiry in any other area besides a hair transplant and no-one got back to you within 9 days, would you still pursue that enquiry or would you entertain your choice as a consumer and go somewhere else. I know which option I would choose.

If no-one can be bothered to get back to you for even an enquiry, then this should ring alarm bells in your head, what chance that someone will get back to you should the procedure not go as planned further down the line.

Also I would like to personally converse with my surgeon rather than go through a translator.

Again, imagine the difficulty in trying to express a later concern through a translator!

Another doctor in Turkey you could try is Dr Kyriakos Maras, he is also recommended by this site or you could consider Dr. Bijan Feriduni in Belgium. There are others, why don't you try the 'Consult a Physician' link at the top of this page.

For FUE in India, I can really only recommened Dr Bhatti having experienced the quality and international standards of his state of the art clinic. I have seen results from other FUE clinics in India(Ludhiana, Mumbai) and the quality is more suited to the locals who just want some hair rather than no hair. As for international quality, the standards, the procedure and the results are well below par.

Something for you to think about.