FUT Dr. Advice / Recommendations

FUTshortly

I've read this forum a few days but this is my first post.

I am 51 years old and a NW VI. Nearly completely bald but decent donor area for 6000+ grafts. Never had any transplants before. Never took any meds before.

I'm normally very anti surgery and meds which is why although i've thought about transplants and meds over 25 years, until now just passed. Ready to take the plunge soon though. It's now (within the next year) or never!

After my own research and a couple of consults, pretty convinced to go with FUT. I would need about 6,000 grafts for decent coverage on front and crown. Decided to do first FUT with the goal of having my frontal view look great for photos (been a while since I would even get in family pics!). Hopefully, i'll be able to find a doc that can do at least 3,500 and possibly up to 4,500 in first FUT so the front looks great but there is also some coverage on mid-section. I'm fine with going back for a second FUT a couple years later to finalize coverage on the crown / mid-section.

Getting a decent price point is important as i'm just a middle-class guy, but getting the best result is even more important to me. I live in the Midwest but travel to any State or Canada is not an issue.

Based on my research and goals, i've narrowed down to (I think) Dr. Shapiro, Dr. Alexander, and Hasson/Wong. Are there any other Doctors I should also consider? The only Doctors i've heard of that will do a mega-session of more than 4,000 to 4,500 grafts in one FUT session are Hasson/Wong. Obviously, if the patient is the right fit. Should this be a consideration for choosing H&W? Any advice on these Doctors or other Doctors (pros, cons, etc.) would be very much appreciated! :)

You've done some great research so far and have a very solid start.

H+W is in fact a solid choice for mega sessions, as you said, for the appropriate candidates. If you want to address frontal first I think most will suggest Hasson, while letting Wong address the crown.

Shapiro is great. I'm 10 wks post op, if you have questions PM me. Since you're in the midwest, another great doctor not far from Minneapolis is Dr. Konior in Chicago. Also top notch. Plenty of Konior patients on here too. Rahal another obvious consult for hairline work. Other good choices beyond those, but you've nailed the top guys.

Agreed, I think you've done great research. I'm a Norwood V and went to Rahal.The exchange rate is great right now.

I would start with sending pictures to those Dr's and getting some feeedback on whether you have enough donor for that high number of grafts. Also, DO scalp exercises...wish I would have and I would have been able to get more grafts.

Question for the forum:

Although I've settled on FUT and narrowed down my initial short-list to H&W, Alexander, Shapiro, I am still in the due-diligence phase and as such still interviewing various other Doctors. Would GREATLY appreciate feedback i just received from one Dr. in North America (recommended by this site) who does both FUT and FUE. Don't want to name names but here's what he said:

First: FUE is better than FUT (even for cases like me) IF the Dr. knows how to use ARTAS really well. He claims the low survival rates in FUE are Doctors doing this manually, as he says the robot is (1) more precise/gentle at extraction and (2) the robot lends a way to tell if the follicle is damaged in which case they don't implant them. He says he will only do FUT if a patient can't afford the higher cost of ARTAS FUE... Is this BS?

Second: When I asked which other Dr's he recommends for FUT, he said makes sure to find someone who uses the lateral slit technique using custom-cut blades. He recommended H&W, Alexander, and Feller (a bit strange that he recommended Feller given Feller's views on FUE, but so be it.). This Dr. DID NOT HOWEVER RECOMMEND Shapiro for FUT. I asked why. He thinks Shapiro doesn't use custom-cut blades but needles instead. Is this BS?

• Administrators

Any doctor that pushes Artas or any other form of robotic FUE clearly does not know how to perform the procedure well, I would stay away from any form of robotic FUE, you're way better off sticking with FUT, if you choose FUE make sure you choose a doctor who performs the procedure himself with a manual punch, but in my opinion just stick with FUT you can harvest more grafts at once.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks HTsoon. I'm not going to do FEU, my mind is 99% made up on FUT.

Has anyone else heard a claim that Dr. Shapiro does not use custom-cut blades? I am assuming that this is not true, but would welcome folks on here with knowledge to re-assure me that Dr. Shapiro (like H&W, Alexander, Feller) uses the best, most effective equipment and techniques for FUT work. Thanks!

Any doctor that pushes Artas or any other form of robotic FUE clearly does not know how to perform the procedure well, I would stay away from any form of robotic FUE, you're way better off sticking with FUT, if you choose FUE make sure you choose a doctor who performs the procedure himself with a manual punch, but in my opinion just stick with FUT you can harvest more grafts at once.

Agreed! As a NW VI I would think you're better off with FUT and only using FUE for the follow up procedure(s). You should post pictures and some of the guys here with more experience could give you some good feedback.

I ended up emailing pictures to H&W & Rahal and doing an on-line consultation before deciding on 4000 grafts with FUT, but Rahal was only able to get 3700 and I believe it was my fault for not doing the scalp exercises. FUE was never an option for me, but might be some day. I don't think FUE is even going to be an option for you given the amount of grafts\mega session you need...my 2 cents.

Edited by leftygolfer71

Recipient Site | Shapiro Medical Group in Minneapolis, MN

That information sounds like it came from a salesman. If it came from a general email address it was probably someone in his office replying on his behalf.

Dr Konior does his own emails and well worth getting feedback from.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks for the feedback esrec and lefty.

Any one hear any difference between Ron and Paul Shapiro?

Yes, Ron hand trained Paul himself. So ask yourself if you to go with the teacher or the student - exactly

Recipient Site | Shapiro Medical Group in Minneapolis, MN

That information sounds like it came from a salesman. If it came from a general email address it was probably someone in his office replying on his behalf.

Dr Konior does his own emails and well worth getting feedback from.

Exactly this. The Shapiros are good doctors.....no doubt.....but they aren't Konior (especially in FUT).

Question for the forum:

Although I've settled on FUT and narrowed down my initial short-list to H&W, Alexander, Shapiro, I am still in the due-diligence phase and as such still interviewing various other Doctors. Would GREATLY appreciate feedback i just received from one Dr. in North America (recommended by this site) who does both FUT and FUE. Don't want to name names but here's what he said:

First: FUE is better than FUT (even for cases like me) IF the Dr. knows how to use ARTAS really well. He claims the low survival rates in FUE are Doctors doing this manually, as he says the robot is (1) more precise/gentle at extraction and (2) the robot lends a way to tell if the follicle is damaged in which case they don't implant them. He says he will only do FUT if a patient can't afford the higher cost of ARTAS FUE... Is this BS?

Second: When I asked which other Dr's he recommends for FUT, he said makes sure to find someone who uses the lateral slit technique using custom-cut blades. He recommended H&W, Alexander, and Feller (a bit strange that he recommended Feller given Feller's views on FUE, but so be it.). This Dr. DID NOT HOWEVER RECOMMEND Shapiro for FUT. I asked why. He thinks Shapiro doesn't use custom-cut blades but needles instead. Is this BS?

Maybe he got Shapiro mixed up with Rahal who uses needles

Exactly this. The Shapiros are good doctors.....no doubt.....but they aren't Konior (especially in FUT).

Um yes --- I would put Ron Shapiro in the same league as Konior - actually I take that back - Konior is in the same league as Dr Ron, and I think SunnyCool will agree!

Let us avoid a Konior vs Shapiro debate. It would be the low point of this forum.

OP--I consulted with 10 doctors. I'd encourage you to speak to all the primary names you've narrowed, except for the clown that was talking about the robot and spreading misinformation on top doctors.

And ask each of the top guys who they would use if the surgery was on them, and why?

Question for the forum:

Hi,

I'd like to address few of the comments you heard....

1) "FUE is better than FUT" - Well, this depends on who you talk to. FUE eliminates the linear scar, however, it's not a scar less procedure like some clinics make out on their website. It's just a different kind of scars. As for the recipient area, the physician you talked to would have a hard time convincing anyone in the hair industry that FUE gets better yield. It can sometimes get just as close to FUT yield but there have been many instances where clinics have come short on delivering just as good yield. Clinics who do not have much experience in FUE are the main culprits of producing low FUE yield (this is true no matter the device - neograft, artas, manual, drills). Also, clinics who don't have much experience with FUT can produce low yield as well. So it comes down to which clinics continue r to produce natural, great results on a consistent basis year after year.

We've had first hand experience with the Artas for about a year and can attest that it's not more gentle on the grafts than manual punch unless you happen to be really, really bad at extracting. It is important to find a physician who is skilled and experienced in the technique you want.

2) BS? Yes!! Shapiro Medical have used needles on few occasion but rarely. We've used custom cut blades for many, many years. We are also experienced in using lateral and sagittal incisions.

I think the best bet is to decide on two or three clinics and get consultations with them and a natural preference will emerge.

H+W, SMG both in your country and have along record of producing consistently excellent results, both do mega sessions as well i believe.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Hi,

I'd like to address few of the comments you heard....

1) "FUE is better than FUT" - Well, this depends on who you talk to. FUE eliminates the linear scar, however, it's not a scar less procedure like some clinics make out on their website. It's just a different kind of scars. As for the recipient area, the physician you talked to would have a hard time convincing anyone in the hair industry that FUE gets better yield. It can sometimes get just as close to FUT yield but there have been many instances where clinics have come short on delivering just as good yield. Clinics who do not have much experience in FUE are the main culprits of producing low FUE yield (this is true no matter the device - neograft, artas, manual, drills). Also, clinics who don't have much experience with FUT can produce low yield as well. So it comes down to which clinics continue r to produce natural, great results on a consistent basis year after year.

We've had first hand experience with the Artas for about a year and can attest that it's not more gentle on the grafts than manual punch unless you happen to be really, really bad at extracting. It is important to find a physician who is skilled and experienced in the technique you want.

2) BS? Yes!! Shapiro Medical have used needles on few occasion but rarely. We've used custom cut blades for many, many years. We are also experienced in using lateral and

sagittal incisions.

It's good to see that the clinics are monitoring posts about them...:D;)

• 2 months later...

I hate that the OP never came back to tell us his ultimate decision!

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).