What can I expect for hairline restoration?

I've been on this forum for a while now, lurking, waiting, watching. I'm like a NW2.5, and I want a strip believe it or not, as I see a lot of sense in Dr. Feller's arguments.

I cannot seem to find a consensus on the following question:

Is it the norm for a hairline to look natural after a hair transplant?

I see results posted by patients and doctors alike, and when the hairline looks good, it's met with praise. On the other hand when the hairline looks bad and sparse, the result is met with comments like "you really should have had more realistic expectations."

What gives?

What are realistic expectations for a HT hairline with regards to things like: how it looks when its wet, how it blends with the native hair, how a young 20 year old girl will react pushing it back with her fingers.

What can I really expect assuming I go to the best, and of course I have my own ideas about who are the best.

If you stop your hairloss completely and get a higher density (60FU/cm+ ?) in the hairline area, it would just look completely natural and like you've never had hairloss for the most part. Basically as full and thick as the rest of your hair...

Though you'd want to make sure your hairloss if 100% stopped not going to progress if you were going to get a high density and use a lot of your grafts.

I'd also recommend not going to high a density in a single surgery. My surgery was approximately 72 grafts/cm and most of them didn't manage to grow.

Natural,

Thanks for sharing your story. And your questions are very reasonable, and I'm glad you're asking them.

First, and without diving too deep into the issue, I'm glad you were able to read some of the pros of utilizing a non-FUE method (IE strip) in the hairline. Of all the regions we work on in the scalp, the hairline is arguably the most important. We must use the strongest, most reliable grafts here to build the hairline to the best of our abilities. The reason I bring this up is because you are clearly someone who wants the best changes of a thick, natural, result in the front, and FUT is what will maximize your chances of success -- in my humble opinion.

Now, on that subject:

I think it is very normal for a hairline to look natural after a hair transplant. As long as a few things are observed: 1) several rows of densely packed single hair FUGs in the micro hairline; 2) reasonable irregularity in the micro hairline; 3) densely packed multi-hair FUGs in the "marco hairline" (this is where the soft transition zone of the micro hairline really meets a wall of density and creates the soft, natural, but very dense appearance you need); 4) some slight irregularity in the macro hairline as well; 5) an overall design that fits your head shape and face

As far as your other questions are concerned:

Hair always looks a little thinner when it's wet. It sticks together and creates visible gaps between it. This same thing happens to non-transplanted hairlines too.

It should blend with the native hair seamlessly. HOWEVER, this is something that must be done purposely in a transplant scenario. What does this mean? If you're a NW 2.5 with very thick, dense hair around the thinning areas, the restored area MUST be transplanted at a high density to achieve this assimilation with the native hair.

How will the young 20 year old girl react when she pushes it back with her fingers? Well, I think you'll just have to keep us updated on this one ; ). Haha.

Bottom line? I think you are doing your homework and going into this with your best foot forward. Keep asking questions until you're comfortable. However, it seems like you are absolutely going about this the right way.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any additional questions, and keep us updated!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

IMHO, it is critical that both the patient and the doctor are on the same page regarding the placement as well as the density of the proposed hairline.

Obviously the skill of the doctor regarding the size and type of grafts that will be used and the angulation of the grafts that compliment and accommodate the angulation of the native hair is critical. Even selecting the proper caliber of the grafts is important to produce the most aesthetically pleasing result as possible.

Attaining native density is just not possible and really is not necessary in producing satisfying visual coverage.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I'm currently in the process of researching this myself. I've read extensively, and have come to similar conclusions about using FUT grafts in the hairline. Spend as much time researching the individual doctors as you can. Each doctor seems to use subtle variations in technique, and I think this makes a difference in the hairline (and so does using FUT grafts).

Research, research, research!

Doctors I'm considering:

FUT:

-Feller

-Hasson

-Konior

One of the advantages with FUE is that the surgeon can cherry pick softer, less coarse grafts in the commencement of the hairline design.

It is possible to have FUHT for harvesting the majority of the grafts used and if your surgeon also does FUE, it will enable him to cherry pick those softer less coarse grafts as well.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

You are only 20 years old, which is way too young to get a hairline transplant.

You are incorrect about my age, but I believe that if planned appropriately a hair transplant should not be limited by age. Feller has performed a Hairline transplant on a 20 year old. It is well documented. Feriduni has multiple case examples of hairline transplants on 21 and 22 year old NW 2.5s. Dr. William Lindsey has been very vocal on this forum about this issue with the caveat that the hairline be planned appropriately.

This black and white thinking is a huge detriment to this forum. Yes caution is good, and it is for this reason that I have many questions which I will ask here to Dr. Bloxham at a later point in time and perhaps he can weigh in on this issue as well. There are diminishing points of return as you age for what you will get back in terms of a psychological boost, and most who seek cosmetic surgery are seeking exactly that. To put it bluntly, I would much rather be a 25 year old with great hair than a 35 year old with great hair. Social media has made society much more superficial in recent decades, and this is something you older guys don't appreciate, or perhaps can't appreciate. Looks determine a disgustingly enormous portion of a person's value today in almost all markets. But I digress.

Most guys with your mindset wait until they're bald and then load up the frontal zones to create a natural frame to their facial dimensions anyways, so why delay the inevitable? Appropriate planning mitigates concerns of future loss.

• Administrators

You can get a hair transplant but you absolutely need to stabilize your hairloss. From 20 to 29 I went from Norwood 0 to Norwood 6, that doesn't mean you will bald that much, but it's imperative your hair is stabilized, shock loss is a huge part of hair restoration, you don't want to get a transplant and end up looking worse.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You are incorrect about my age, but I believe that if planned appropriately a hair transplant should not be limited by age. Feller has performed a Hairline transplant on a 20 year old. It is well documented. Feriduni has multiple case examples of hairline transplants on 21 and 22 year old NW 2.5s. Dr. William Lindsey has been very vocal on this forum about this issue with the caveat that the hairline be planned appropriately.

This black and white thinking is a huge detriment to this forum. Yes caution is good, and it is for this reason that I have many questions which I will ask here to Dr. Bloxham at a later point in time and perhaps he can weigh in on this issue as well. There are diminishing points of return as you age for what you will get back in terms of a psychological boost, and most who seek cosmetic surgery are seeking exactly that. To put it bluntly, I would much rather be a 25 year old with great hair than a 35 year old with great hair. Social media has made society much more superficial in recent decades, and this is something you older guys don't appreciate, or perhaps can't appreciate. Looks determine a disgustingly enormous portion of a person's value today in almost all markets. But I digress.

Most guys with your mindset wait until they're bald and then load up the frontal zones to create a natural frame to their facial dimensions anyways, so why delay the inevitable? Appropriate planning mitigates concerns of future loss.

So you're only 19? That reads like rationalization and short sightedness.

I don't think encouraging caution to kids who aren't even old enough to drink (legally) is a detriment to this forum. But do whatever you want really. You seem to have your mind made up.

Edited by Matt27

So you're only 19? That reads like rationalization and short sightedness.

I don't think encouraging caution to kids who aren't even old enough to drink (legally) is a detriment to this forum. But do whatever you want really. You seem to have your mind made up.

You are absolutely right about encouraging caution. But caution should come in the form of planning appropriately,having tried the meds and consulted with multiple surgeons--not in just accepting your baldness.

I would much rather be a 25 year old with great hair than a 35 year old with great hair.

Oh, believe me, at 35 you're still going to want those 20 year olds running their fingers through your hair! When you're 45 too!

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Castrated? I hear the Monastic Order of Monks are looking for a few good men.

Actually, if you are now 27 and have seen signs of slowing on your hair loss, you at a good age to make a decision and move forward with planning for the next 20 years or so.

Just don't hang around here for the next 5 years and act all 'but what-if-y'.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Where would you draw the line on age, and why?

It's pretty grey. I don't have an answer to that. But late 20s is fine because most guys who are going to be high norwoods before old age seem to have their hair loss patterns clear at that age.

I actually agree with you on the 'you only live once' thing. I would sacrifice having an awkward looking transplant in middle age to have a head of hair in my 20s-30s. I just think 20 is way too young and is a hasty decision that a young guy would make.

Oh, believe me, at 35 you're still going to want those 20 year olds running their fingers through your hair! When you're 45 too!

Funny, when I was both 25 and 35 I preferred they run their fingers over my...... Instead :D

Natural,

27 is a pretty normal age to consider surgical hair restoration. Your age and perceived aggressiveness of your hair loss will be taken into account, but "late 20s" definitely falls within the distribution of normal hair transplant age.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.