Too old for transplant?

I see alot of great hair transplant results for younger people in 20's and 30's but not many from people in my early 50's age range. I have a Norwood 4V pattern that really started to show when I was 39 years old.

I am hesitant to do this kind of surgery in my early 50's that will probably be longer healing, scab time and older (weaker?) scalp.

Please advise if transplant results depend on age where younger people have better resluts??

There are lots of men in that age range on this board as well who have had very successful HTs. Check out some of their photos/blogs.

Btw, isn't early 50s still considered considerably young? And this is coming from a 30 year old...

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

shiit ull likely live to 80. thats 30 years. 50 is anything but old. the most muscular guy I've ever seen and in the best shape I've ever seen was a guy 53 yrs old. plenty of ppl get face lifts at 50 so why wud a HT be out of the ordinary

No reason to stop caring about your appearance when you get to 50 (or any age for that matter). You also have the advantage that your hair loss is more likely to have stabilized. Only thing worth mentioning is that older patients do apparently heal slower than younger patients which can correlate to slower gains.

I love seeing transformations in older patients, they really seem to love the change and wish they did it when they were younger. I am not so many years off from 50 and consider myself still young and can say don't let being 50 put you off as it can really role back the years even being conservative in the approach.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Take it from me, young fella, you'll be glad you did.

Just do your research, set realistic expectations, and plan an age appropriate result that you will be happy with and you won't look back.

I'm the happiest fool on the discussion board and I did mine at 64. Now I'm on the cover of Men's Health.

imagejpeg_0.jpg.46e83f60faa4863c17a8a488a83dee3d.jpg

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I think early fifties is probably the best age. Easier to please, more conservative, more stable, etc.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

All kidding aside, my healing was no different than younger guys. In fact, I think I was was less traumatized.

I never once posted a panicked 'did I lose a graft?' thread....:P

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I totally agree with spanker 40s & 50s is a very good age to go for HT in fact if there was a perfect age 50 would be on the money IMHO.

Most of the hair loss slows down a lot at that age then from when your younger & for a HT Dr must be joy to work with such a age group.

Hi kensington,

I would welcome an opportunity to speak with you about your hair transplant and answer any questions you might have.

Please contact me when you can.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Any questions, please let me know.

Robert Ha, Senior Patient Advisor

Dr. H. Rahal is a highly esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Rahal - Restoring more than just hair™

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): 1x Daily

Generic Minoxidil 5%: 2x Daily

Nizoral Shampoo: 2x weekly