FUE scarring vs. FUT scarring

JohnCasper

The other side of that coin are the numerous threads and countless other accounts of poor FUE yield, leaving the patient with permanently depleted donor without further transplant options, not to mention a sickly, moth-eaten appearamce if the donor was over-harvested. But, yes, if the question is limited only to which procedure is likely to produce less imstantly noticeable scarring with the donor buzzed down to a 1 or 2 guard, FUE generally wins -- provided that punches smaller than 1mm in diameter were used.

The main lesson, imo, is that whether the patient chooses strip or FUE, do your research and find the very best physician with a demonstrable history of consistently exceptional fully matured results using the chosen extraction method. FUE or strip, poorly planned or performed, each have their own serious consequences.

There's also a number of guys with mediocre FUT results as well.

True

It's not a simple trade off where you're exchanging lesser scarring for high yield.

Agreed

I find the vast majority of FUT results posted on here to be merely "OK".

I disagree, but that is subjective

Evaluating the FUE donor area one month post is pointless. It takes at least four months for the area to recover. I know that my donor zone looked far better after 4 months and when shaved at 8 months for my second procedure there were no visible white dots or any appearance of an earlier surgery. Even looking under the microscope it was hard to discern a difference. I think that I also have a fairly keen eye for these things.

All this is being stirred up by Joe Tillman. I don't know if he is currently employed by a clinic, but for the majority of his time here he has been a rep for FUT.

In other words, he is not an honest participant, he has a vested interest in blowing out of proportion minor issues with FUE.

• 4 months later...

Looks good John. This is what most FUE cases I've seen look like shaved down.

I don't even read the negative comments made about FUE anymore. It's obvious what their agenda is.

Edited by Matt27

I know for a fact I can post over 20 different threads pertaining to poor FUT scaring or those looking to repair their FUT scar with FUE. I have saved them in a separate folder.

I don't have ANY examples of someone getting FUE and looking for an FUT surgeon to repair them tho.

I'm an example. I'm hoping to get an mFUE from Dr Feller and Dr B because my donor region has been raped by FUE.

Lets face it fue suites certain people ie thick course wavy hair. And people with above average doner supply. if you have none if these then fue isn't for you. Unless youre really desperate to have hair and dont want a big smiley on the back of your head just know the end result isnt going to be like the ones you see in here. Where the guy has all the attributions of a good fue candidate and gets amazing results because he has an above average hair count and thick course hair. Not everyone's the same and not everyone suites fue.

Here's my head CLOSE UP a few days after being shaved unguarded . 6 months after my last surgery.

3 surgeries , over 6000 Grafts FUE.

I will add I believe my head looks even better now as it was still recovering from very slight

Shock loss here which has all grown back.

You be the judge .

image.jpg.e7acc5afd3d707176766b44c6d4be1d0.jpg

Here's my head CLOSE UP a few days after being shaved unguarded . 6 months after my last surgery.

3 surgeries , over 6000 Grafts FUE.

I will add I believe my head looks even better now as it was still recovering from very slight

Shock loss here which has all grown back.

You be the judge .

Thank you, this does help put things into perspective.

• Administrators

My FUE scar 7 months post op, hair was shaved down zero or no guard notice my scar on the left side from when I hit my head when I was 7 is the most noticeable scar.

2rrxlww.jpg

FUT in my opinion should be reserved for individuals who can completely restore their hair with one surgery, and that like to wear their hair long on the sides, personally I keep my hair a zero on the sides, no longer than a one, here is an extreme close up of my scars.

2i8j2mq.jpg

I understand that FUE is not without scars, but you can not compare this to an FUT scar, show me someone who shaves their hair to a zero with an FUT procedure, please post a pic and compare it to mine, im not even a good example either, I don't scar very well.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

HTsoon,

Remember that this is only half the picture. The other half lies under your scalp. This is where the truly important scarring from FUE lies: subdermal fibrosis. And this is why those who need multiple procedures are actually much better suited for strip procedures.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• Administrators
HTsoon,

Remember that this is only half the picture. The other half lies under your scalp. This is where the truly important scarring from FUE lies: subdermal fibrosis. And this is why those who need multiple procedures are actually much better suited for strip procedures.

I've had two FUE surgeries totaling close to 4,000 grafts, I think I speak for everyone when I say that the most important aspect of hair transplantation is visual, my scarring looks better still with two procedures than an FUT patient with one procedure, I'm not a doctor so maybe you are correct in saying that the scarring is worse under the skin, but no one is going to be seeing under my skin day to day.

If you are a high norwood case, stick with FUE, because you are going to need body hair most likely, there is simply not enough donor hair available in high norwood cases, It's my opinion that individuals who will need several surgeries should go with FUE, because the more strip procedures you have, the greater risk you run of the scar expanding, than god forbid your donor density thins out, than you'll be left with a very unnatural thick scar from ear to ear.

This is why its a gamble doing more than one strip procedure.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
HTsoon,

I've had two FUE surgeries totaling close to 4,000 grafts, I think I speak for everyone when I say that the most important aspect of hair transplantation is visual, my scarring looks better still with two procedures than an FUT patient with one procedure, I'm not a doctor so maybe you are correct in saying that the scarring is worse under the skin, but no one is going to be seeing under my skin day to day.

If you are a high norwood case, stick with FUE, because you are going to need body hair most likely, there is simply not enough donor hair available in high norwood cases, It's my opinion that individuals who will need several surgeries should go with FUE, because the more strip procedures you have, the greater risk you run of the scar expanding, than god forbid your donor density thins out, than you'll be left with a very unnatural thick scar from ear to ear.

View my thread

• 1 month later...

Actually, I would argue the opposite. If you are a high Norwood, you want to go with FUT first and then FUE. The "gamble" of more than one strip procedure is mitigated by the skill of the surgeon. A top doc will greatly reduce if not eliminate those risks. By choosing FUT first, you ensure the most grafts can be harvested from your scalp.

And, you can barely see my FUT scar and I'm only at 4.5 after surgery. If done by a competent physician, the FUT scar debate is more of a tempest in a teapot IMO. I don't think about my scar at all.

Ultimately, it's up to the person to make a decision for themselves, or listen to what their doctor says (assuming a good doctor).

• Administrators
Actually, I would argue the opposite. If you are a high Norwood, you want to go with FUT first and then FUE. The "gamble" of more than one strip procedure is mitigated by the skill of the surgeon. A top doc will greatly reduce if not eliminate those risks. By choosing FUT first, you ensure the most grafts can be harvested from your scalp.

And, you can barely see my FUT scar and I'm only at 4.5 after surgery. If done by a competent physician, the FUT scar debate is more of a tempest in a teapot IMO. I don't think about my scar at all.

Ultimately, it's up to the person to make a decision for themselves, or listen to what their doctor says (assuming a good doctor).

The way you scar involves more than jut surgical skill, some of it has to do with genetics and some of it has to do with elasticity, the problem with stripping out is that often the patients demand for more hair, more hair, and more hair and many times physicians believe in their own ability, but once they realize the scalp is no longer elastic it is too late. Once the wound is difficult to close the skin will stretch and the scar will inevitably stretch, this may happen on the first, second, or third, no surgeon can predict this, there is no surgeon on earth that will guarantee that your scar won't stretch, the chances of your scar stretching after multiple procedures goes up immensely, to some they don't care about a scar, to me I'd rather be bald, so it's not worth it.

That's why I believe and this is my opinion that the overall cosmetic result will always be better with several FUE procedures rather than several FUT's that's why I believe high norwoods should opt for FUE, also buzzing your head is still an option with FUE should your hairloss progress, the scars are insignificant and SMP could cover it up completely. There's a documented case of an individual on YouTube shaved his head to the bone, the scars although visible to the trained eye would be insignificant to the average person.

View my thread

The way you scar involves more than jut surgical skill, some of it has to do with genetics and some of it has to do with elasticity, the problem with stripping out is that often the patients demand for more hair, more hair, and more hair and many times physicians believe in their own ability, but once they realize the scalp is no longer elastic it is too late. Once the wound is difficult to close the skin will stretch and the scar will inevitably stretch, this may happen on the first, second, or third, no surgeon can predict this, there is no surgeon on earth that will guarantee that your scar won't stretch, the chances of your scar stretching after multiple procedures goes up immensely, to some they don't care about a scar, to me I'd rather be bald, so it's not worth it.

That's why I believe and this is my opinion that the overall cosmetic result will always be better with several FUE procedures rather than several FUT's that's why I believe high norwoods should opt for FUE, also buzzing your head is still an option with FUE should your hairloss progress, the scars are insignificant and SMP could cover it up completely. There's a documented case of an individual on YouTube shaved his head to the bone, the scars although visible to the trained eye would be insignificant to the average person.

Your opinion is your opinion, but it goes against the conventional wisdom of FUT then FUE. Also, being bald rather that (potentially) having a stretched scar again would seem to be a minority opinion. There are many instances of successful scar revision on this forum and transplanting grafts into stretched scars.

Furthermore, what is your sample size for scar stretching? I'm guessing it's anecdotal. When I asked Dr. Konior's office how many stretched scars they've seen, I was told only a handful. And that's over 20+ years of Dr. Konior being a surgeon.

Your belief that high Norwoods such opt for FUE doesn't make sense to me since harvesting the most grafts should be the #1 priority for someone with a high Norwood (5+). FUT gives a much better yield than FUE. Most patients can get at least 2 successful FUT surgeries (given a competent surgeon). And by going FUE first, it virtually guarantees the patient won't be a candidate for FUT in the future.

Also, who cares about shaving all the way down? The closest I've ever shaved was a 2 in college. And a 3 since my mid-20's. I am a Norwood 5A. I chose FUT, and would have a second FUT done if necessary in the future with Dr. Konior. Not to mention, a 3800 graft FUE in the US would be cost-prohibitive (number of grafts in my first FUT procedure).

• Administrators
Your opinion is your opinion, but it goes against the conventional wisdom of FUT then FUE. Also, being bald rather that (potentially) having a stretched scar again would seem to be a minority opinion. There are many instances of successful scar revision on this forum and transplanting grafts into stretched scars.

Furthermore, what is your sample size for scar stretching? I'm guessing it's anecdotal. When I asked Dr. Konior's office how many stretched scars they've seen, I was told only a handful. And that's over 20+ years of Dr. Konior being a surgeon.

Your belief that high Norwoods such opt for FUE doesn't make sense to me since harvesting the most grafts should be the #1 priority for someone with a high Norwood (5+). FUT gives a much better yield than FUE. Most patients can get at least 2 successful FUT surgeries (given a competent surgeon). And by going FUE first, it virtually guarantees the patient won't be a candidate for FUT in the future.

Also, who cares about shaving all the way down? The closest I've ever shaved was a 2 in college. And a 3 since my mid-20's. I am a Norwood 5A. I chose FUT, and would have a second FUT done if necessary in the future with Dr. Konior. Not to mention, a 3800 graft FUE in the US would be cost-prohibitive (number of grafts in my first FUT procedure).

If you don't care about a stretched scar than who am I to argue with you, but me personally I'd rather be bald than have an ugly big scar in the back of my head that looks unnatural, whether this is popular opinion or not is irrelevant, this is my personal train of thought you don't have to agree.

I don't have an exact number of how many scars stretch, what I do now is what I've been told by several physicians, and that's that no one can predict how you will scar, there are things that help them asses the situation but an absolute guarantee is not available this is common knowledge any reputable surgeon will tell you.

My opinion that high norwoods should go FUE is the simple fact that there may come a time where they no longer wish to deal with hairloss or fight the inevitable, this is documented with Joe Rogan who now shaves his head and regrets getting a hair transplants because of his huge scar. This may never be you, it may never be me, but I for one want to have the freedom to choose, I know a lot of guys feel the same way I do which is why we opt for hair restoration, to have the freedom to grow your hair out, cut your hair, shave it if you want too, this freedom does not exist with FUT. This is my opinion and that's my train of thought, you don't have to agree I respect that, but i ask you respect mine.

Furthermore, who cares about shaving down? I care, just because you have never cut your hair shorter than a two on the sides doesn't mean no one else has, you're arguing personal preference here not everyone has the same hairstyle or likes the same hairstyle.

View my thread