Dr Rahal disappointed with FUT 5400+ grafts

theflyer

And Joe it is these kinds of comments:

"I do think you still look natural. If people are telling you to get a transplant, they can't tell you've had one, and that's good. "

Natural? His hair looks like a 90s plug job. And the last sentence doesn't even deserve a comment.

I didn't say this so I'm not sure why you are bringing it up to me.

But if he was NW5 then that means he had no hairline which would mean that what we are seeing is an HT hairline so future loss would be irrelevant. That brushed back isn't going to look much better.

Actually, no it doesn't mean he didn't have a hairline and yes, he did have a hairline...

attachment.php?attachmentid=72743&d=1421189793

My guess is that 5400 grafts were placed throughout the top with the hairline lowered slightly. This would be confirmed by what I see as finer single hairs in the current result photo with larger grafts a couple of centimeters behind for bulk and/or coverage. Keep in mind, 5400 grafts on this scalp is an average of 1080 grafts per NW level. It's a lot, but it's not a lot, and if this hair in the photo above is now completely gone you better believe it would make a difference to the final result.

Here are the facts:

1.) Patient was a NW5 with thinned native hair in the recipient zones.

2.) Patient received 5400 grafts which equates to 1080 grafts per NW level.

3.) The patient stopped taking hair loss medication after one year because he "wasn't told" to continue taking it with "it" I assume to be Rogaine.

4.) The patient has said that since the surgery he's lost a lot more hair, both native AND he says maybe transplanted. This could indicate a donor hair sensitivity to DHT or even a post-surgical condition such as lichen planopilaris (look it up). We don't know because we can't SEE past his hairline which is the entire point.

5.) Five years after his surgery he's shared one before photo taken, I assume, in his home as shown above and three post-op photos showing his hairline.

6.) The patient is understandably very upset.

7.) The patient has reached out to the clinic and they have offered at least some free work, five years after surgery, and with potentially no more evidence than we have.

What we have is a very inconclusive situation where no one here knows a damned thing about why this patient has the result he has and if it is even a bad result "that sucks" to begin with or if it is something that deteriorated over the past five years. What we do know is that his hair was better at one point because he said he lost his native hair. How much better, we don't know, and I think that the patient should do himself and the clinic a favor and post up photos of all angles so that we all have a clear picture of what he's dealing with. It may be bad, it may be just ok.

I'm not defending the work here. I'm defending fairness to both parties. And for those that have asked in this thread (Questionmark) and others, I have no benefit to discussing this beyond trying to get people to see reason as I no longer have a professional relationship with Dr. Rahal or the Rahal Hair Transplant clinic. I'm a free agent... with a plan.

Joe,

1). When did you leave Rahal?

2). What was the reason for leaving Rahal after such a brief period with the clinic?

3). As a "free agent" do you have an idea who you anticipate working with in the future?

I think more photos would be beneficial for all, however given the photos that were provided I think the results are still lacking in my opinion.

Joe,

1). When did you leave Rahal?

2). What was the reason for leaving Rahal after such a brief period with the clinic?

3). As a "free agent" do you have an idea who you anticipate working with in the future?

I think more photos would be beneficial for all, however given the photos that were provided I think the results are still lacking in my opinion.

Hi Wazaam,

I do not wish to take away from the thread so I'll keep this short.

1.) We concluded our relationship very recently.

2.) I have ideas and plans that, to implement, require that I be independent for reasons I'll discuss at a later time. However, my departure has nothing to do with the quality of Dr. Rahal's work and I still think he's a damned fine HT surgeon. While my tenure with Dr. Rahal was short, I learned a lot for which I am grateful.

3.) I've got some ideas but I'm not prepared to discuss them at this time. My website is going through a major overhaul and once it is ready in two to four weeks I'll be able to give more details. If the site pans out the way I hope, I think you'll find it very useful:)

My guess is that 5400 grafts were placed throughout the top with the hairline lowered slightly. This would be confirmed by what I see as finer single hairs in the current result photo with larger grafts a couple of centimeters behind for bulk and/or coverage. Keep in mind, 5400 grafts on this scalp is an average of 1080 grafts per NW level. It's a lot, but it's not a lot, and if this hair in the photo above is now completely gone you better believe it would make a difference to the final result.

Here are the facts:

1.) Patient was a NW5 with thinned native hair in the recipient zones.

2.) Patient received 5400 grafts which equates to 1080 grafts per NW level.

3.) The patient stopped taking hair loss medication after one year because he "wasn't told" to continue taking it with "it" I assume to be Rogaine.

4.) The patient has said that since the surgery he's lost a lot more hair, both native AND he says maybe transplanted. This could indicate a donor hair sensitivity to DHT or even a post-surgical condition such as lichen planopilaris (look it up). We don't know because we can't SEE past his hairline which is the entire point.

5.) Five years after his surgery he's shared one before photo taken, I assume, in his home as shown above and three post-op photos showing his hairline.

6.) The patient is understandably very upset.

7.) The patient has reached out to the clinic and they have offered at least some free work, five years after surgery, and with potentially no more evidence than we have.

What we have is a very inconclusive situation where no one here knows a damned thing about why this patient has the result he has and if it is even a bad result "that sucks" to begin with or if it is something that deteriorated over the past five years. What we do know is that his hair was better at one point because he said he lost his native hair. How much better, we don't know, and I think that the patient should do himself and the clinic a favor and post up photos of all angles so that we all have a clear picture of what he's dealing with. It may be bad, it may be just ok.

I'm not defending the work here. I'm defending fairness to both parties. And for those that have asked in this thread (Questionmark) and others, I have no benefit to discussing this beyond trying to get people to see reason as I no longer have a professional relationship with Dr. Rahal or the Rahal Hair Transplant clinic. I'm a free agent... with a plan.

Much wisdom and reason in this post

Hi everyone,

What matters here is that theflyer is not happy… we want to help him.

theflyer will not return our calls or emails. We have tried to contact him many, many times.

We don’t know what happened because we don’t have all the facts…

We don’t know why theflyer did not contact us at 1, 2 or even 3 years post-op to say he was not happy… why did he wait 5 years?

All I can I tell you that hair loss is progressive and that unless on medications to slow/stop your hair loss, you can expect additional hair transplants over the years.

I would love to show you the overhead photo that we have on file. But we can’t due to patient confidentiality.

BUT… in the end, all of this does not matter.

We stand behind our patients and want to help theflyer. He has options including free work… We’re here for him and just want him to be happy.

Edited by RahalHairTransplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Clinic - Answers to questions and posts using this account are strictly opinions and not to be considered medical advice.

Hi everyone,

What matters here is that theflyer is not happy… we want to help him.

theflyer will not return our calls or emails. We have tried to contact him many, many times.

We don’t know what happened because we don’t have all the facts…

We don’t know why theflyer did not contact us at 1, 2 or even 3 years post-op to say he was not happy… why did he wait 5 years?

All I can I tell you that hair loss is progressive and that unless on medications to slow/stop your hair loss, you can expect additional hair transplants over the years.

I would love to show you the overhead photo that we have on file. But we can’t due to patient confidentiality.

BUT… in the end, all of this does not matter.

We stand behind our patients and want to help theflyer. He has options including free work… We’re here for him and just want him to be happy.

Hair loss may be progressive but 5400 grafts are permanent. This does not look like 5400 grafts.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking around on the forums for a long time and just joined. Most of what I see of Rahal's work looks really good, and I am considering him for a transplant. I hate seeing this for this guy. How would this be fixed?

Dear theflyer, your situation is similar to mine a bit. My surgery result was a bit poor for 2500 grafts in such a hairline area gave me less than 40 density while on paper it was 53 plus my right hairline side is much thinner than left one. The thing is that its very risky to do it again in same clinic as mistake could be repeated. Bare in mind that my surgery was FUT which means it should yield better. For this reason I strongly advice you to search for another professional surgeon to fix you up and not take the risk again. Money is gone and I understand that but nobody wants to be bitten twice. The problem with FUT at Rahal clinic that the Doctor is involved less and accepts more than a surgery at once, for example the same time I had surgery there was an Australian who had 4000+ mega session. I'm so sorry to see your result and I can feel what you feel honestly regarding the donor loss and money :(

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

I can't believe that anybody is trying to even somehow "explain" these results. There isn't one individual on here who would be satisfied if those were their results. 5400 grafts should have shown marked improvement and Joe commenting on only showing the hairline? Most HT's I have seen seem to focus on the frontal third first as far as density goes so if anything his hairline is probably the best portion of his result! Not using meds? Of course that doesn't help his situation, but his DHT resistant 5400 grafts should give much better coverage, even if he lost all of his native hair on top.

I really feel for this guy, 5400 grafts that he can't get back. :mad: This is VERY disappointing

Hair loss may be progressive but 5400 grafts are permanent. This does not look like 5400 grafts.

That`s the crucial point here. People can write whole books on here talking things to death, but it doesn`t change this simple fact.

• 1 month later...

sry to hear. that must be quite stressful. I wud not lose all hope just yet. yes I agree 100% with 5400 grafts u shud hav far more density. appears as tho many of the grafts didn't take.

but, he is a pretty good surgeon so IMO u may have a little of the "X-Factor" goin on. meaning, ur body lost hair there for a reason. for most its solely DHT, others its some other underlying factor that is not quite known and wen u transplant hairs there they will still not grow.

OR.... the grafts were not handles correctly and ur post op care cud hav played a role.

either way IMO u shud seek out Erdogan and forget Rahal. Erdogan is the cheapest of the best FUE surgeons. their are other great FUE guys in Europe but they cost more and I don't think the results wud be better.

at this point its unknown why the grafts didn't take. start by finding a TOP FUE doctor and start saving ur money. nothing other then another HT is gonna fix ur image and self confidence.

not to mention its a hellova a lot cheeper to fly to Europe then the US

That`s the crucial point here. People can write whole books on here talking things to death, but it doesn`t change this simple fact.

I wud say that comment pretty much sums it all up in a nut shell.....:) cudnt agree more.