How many folks here are unhappy with their donor scar?

azn_guy

I see a lot of postings on complimenting "awesome" "to die for" donor strip scarring.

I'd like to know who on this site wished for a better result.

Also, if you did have bad scarring, did you go back to get it fixed?

Please note, I'm simply referring to the scarring, not the HT Surgeon's work icon_smile.gif

We all have our own physiological dependencies so I understand that while the HT surgeon did what he could, our bodies just heal the way "it" wants to.

Also, if you have a bad scar, photos would be much appreciated so people on this site can be well informed.

In case you guys are wondering, I was on a airplane flight and I sat in front of a african american and I could easily see his donor strip scar, I didnt like what I saw, which scares me a bit about going for the procedure.

Please keep this topic about FUT, I know there are folks on here that are big advocates of FUE, but this topic is specific to FUT Donor Scars

I see a lot of postings on complimenting "awesome" "to die for" donor strip scarring.

I'd like to know who on this site wished for a better result.

Also, if you did have bad scarring, did you go back to get it fixed?

Please note, I'm simply referring to the scarring, not the HT Surgeon's work icon_smile.gif

We all have our own physiological dependencies so I understand that while the HT surgeon did what he could, our bodies just heal the way "it" wants to.

Also, if you have a bad scar, photos would be much appreciated so people on this site can be well informed.

In case you guys are wondering, I was on a airplane flight and I sat in front of a african american and I could easily see his donor strip scar, I didnt like what I saw, which scares me a bit about going for the procedure.

Please keep this topic about FUT, I know there are folks on here that are big advocates of FUE, but this topic is specific to FUT Donor Scars

i haven't had a HT yet... but i would assume no matter how good the scar looks... everyone probably wishes it was better

my reg is:

propecia 1mg EVERYDAY

minox 5% twice daily (f the foam)

nizoral 1%

say la V old buddies .... i'm tryin to keep you

African americans are prone to hypertrophic scarring. It causes the scar to be raised and quite dark and usually quite wide....The gentelman you saw probably had other body scars that would look the same. If you want to know how your scar would look, check other scars on your body to see how they heal....Hope this helps.

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

my scar is without a doubt the WORST part of my procedure, its easily visible at a 5guard, and to cover it i use dermmatch and smash the hair above it down using spiking glue, that said my dr was a damn clown and i very much believe the better doctors doing this procedure give a far greater chance at a less visible scar, with THAT SAID, sprip scars are not an exact science and stretching is always possible, do NOT expect to be able to go ANY lower then a 3 guard, and even that might be pushing it in the sun IMO.

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

1973, so ever thought about buzzing it down to a clipper 3?

So I noticed there arent many responses here. I'm guessing I can assume the majority of the folks on this site are happy with the scars?

I kind of want to hear some horror stories. I think everyone on here that is thinking of getting a HT will benefit from knowing about the bad, rather than seeing all the success stories.

=)

I'm 36 and had my first strip procedure done at 25. I've had two more since then and my scar ended up about the same each time, which is basically 1mm or slightly more than that on the left side. As far as non trich closures go, it couldn't have been much better. The scar was never an issue until recently. I'm very satisfied with my hair transplants, but as I get older, I just prefer to have a short, very low maintenance hair cut. With clipper #4, my scar is undetectable. With a #3, it's essentially undetectable, but that's where I start to notice. I taper my hair in back anyway and it works for me to use a #2 up until just below the scar and then use a three from there. All of this said, I'm done with the hair restoration game. Monday, I had 200 fue placed in to my scar and realistically expect to be able to shave down to a #2 over the scar with the obvious appearance of a linear scar to be very minimal. I still use Propecia every day and use Rogaine foam twice a day too. Over time, regardless of my Propecia/Rogaine regimen, my crown will probably thin a little if not quite a bit. All the more reason why being able to clip down a little shorter is important to me.

Had I not already had three strip procedures, I may have opted for a trichophytic revision of my scar, but didn't want to risk a wider scar, even with hair growing through it.

Originally posted by Abedogg:

LMS,

Any pics of your scar? and ht?

Abe

abe-- i have my pics posted on another forum i dont wanna post a link but lets just say the forum they are posted on rhymes with "hairlossSHMELP"icon_smile.gif

.. if your interested, although none really show how bad my scar is...

i will be posting pics here soon and will incude some of my scar.... i currently keep my back(just above my scar) grown out longer than the rest of the back and sides. than after some dermmatch and pressing my hair down with hair glue its not visible... however thats alot to have to do just to make it not visible every day..

hey glenn-- i feel ya man

azn_guy... the scar really will only bother you if it stretches, or you like to keep your hair short, or if your unhappy with your work and/or your hairloss progresses to the point where your work does not look good...shaving is a much tougher option due to the ear to ear scar you will be asked about everywhere you go for the rest of your life

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

No scar. It is totaly & completely undetectable.

My wife who is a hairstylist was coloring my hair a few nights ago & could not see the scar at all.

As far as am I happy with my results the answer is yes & no. I have a hairline that frames my face which I didn't have before, NW6+) but my hair is baby fine & I wish I had more density. I am going back for #2 & hope to achieve that.

But no worries as far as the scar goes.

This is a good topic.

So Atomic, what are your hair characteristics?

As I said in my original post, I'm asian and this is my deepest concern. I'm wondering if I could get awesome results like you icon_wink.gif

I guess something else that should be considered is Did you get a Trychophytic Closure or not?

I'm optimistically looking at "attempting" to do a 1 and done deal at 3000 grafts (with worse case scenario a 2nd HT 15-20 years down the line)

azn_guy-001, My hair chatacteristics are oposite of what your's would be considering you are Asian which usually means you have coarse hair. My is extremely fine.I'm not sure that hair characteristics play a part in the scar. I did not have trychophytic closure because I plan to go for a sencond procedure.

I believe a lot of it has to do with 1) Your surgeon 2) Scalp Laxity 3) Size of procedure

4) Post op care

Also I had sutures not staples.

3,000 is fairly conservative, I had 2660 on my first. Start stretching exercise's as long as you can before your HT.

Good luck, It will be fine if you choose a good surgeon. Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix was my surgeon in case you are curious.

Cheers, Atomic

Dr. Katona of MHR told me that he invented a procedure a year and a half ago for removing scars that he invented and he expects it will be the wave of the future of how scars will be done from now on.

Has anyone heard of this from him?

Be cautious of folks who have "invented" some new technique that will revolutionize scars. There are literally thousands of general and facial plastic surgeons who daily want to avoid significant scarring at almost any cost. Do you really think if someone invented something a year and a half ago that solved all scar problems that it wouldn't make headlines and we'd all be doing it?

The best prevention is going to someone who has a track record of good scars. Note that I am not saying "guarantees" or "no scars". Even the best suturer will have some scars that just aren't so good. Remember people are chemistry or cooking recipes, not math. Meaning that 2 plus 2 is always 4, but if you do chemistry or cooking in one location and replicate it elsewhere, you should get similar results but there will be variations in outcome even with the same ingredients.

Dr. Alexander has a good track record and mphoenixaz is happy. If you are in his area, go by and see him for a consult.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

happy with my scar although I havent seen it in years

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!