Advised Against Surgery

Hi all,

I had a consultation with Mick at Farjo the other week, which didn't quite go as I would have expected.

I paid a visit to the London office and had a good chat with Mick, who was a very nice person. I really didn't expect to be advised against having surgery!

I do have a quite a bit of hair still, but my hair line is not as far down as I would like and it's a lot thinner on top than would be preferred.

He recommended that I try drugs as they can reduce the thinning and in some cases can thicken up the hair.

I have looked at the drug route and if I'm honest it's not something I want to pursue.

I'm 32 and he told me that my hair will continue to thin as I age, which I expected anyway and also advised that if I have surgery that the current healthy hair could go in to shock and fall out. He also said that in the future it could start to look patchy and would require more surgery.

I like the fact that he seemed genuine and honest, as he could have quite easily said get the treatment and taken my cash. As always I thought of many questions after I left that I wish I had asked him, so I will send him an email with a few queries to try and get a better understanding of why he suggests that I don't do it.

Just wondering if anyone here has been advised against having surgery, but still gone ahead with it?

Thanks, but it's not really an option for me. I'd rather deal with the thinning hair then take drugs for the rest of my life. There's no real proof what they do to you long term and the stories of sex life issues put me right off

Did he say exactly why you were not a good candidate? There are many reasons that some people make poor candidates. It could be expectations, ability to financially have subsequent procedures either financially or because of donor, poor donor, age, pattern of loss vs age and expectations, too much hair semi-weak hair in the recipient that would be at risk for permanent shock, making your result look to not be enough of a change, pattern coupled with refusal of meds, etc. It could have been one of these things or a combination. I would find out exactly why he said you were not a good candidate. A second opinion from a reputable doc would not hurt, but I am sure Mick had a legitimate reason to advise against a HT for you.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I would like to know, specifically, why they believed you weren't a good candidate as well.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi all,

I had a consultation with Mick at Farjo the other week, which didn't quite go as I would have expected.

I paid a visit to the London office and had a good chat with Mick, who was a very nice person. I really didn't expect to be advised against having surgery!

I do have a quite a bit of hair still, but my hair line is not as far down as I would like and it's a lot thinner on top than would be preferred.

He recommended that I try drugs as they can reduce the thinning and in some cases can thicken up the hair.

I have looked at the drug route and if I'm honest it's not something I want to pursue.

I'm 32 and he told me that my hair will continue to thin as I age, which I expected anyway and also advised that if I have surgery that the current healthy hair could go in to shock and fall out. He also said that in the future it could start to look patchy and would require more surgery.

I like the fact that he seemed genuine and honest, as he could have quite easily said get the treatment and taken my cash. As always I thought of many questions after I left that I wish I had asked him, so I will send him an email with a few queries to try and get a better understanding of why he suggests that I don't do it.

Just wondering if anyone here has been advised against having surgery, but still gone ahead with it?

can you post some pics... front, back, sides and top so we can have a visual? maybe some1 on here can give further advice! agree u shouldn't have a HT without going on meds though!

I don't get why he didn't think you was good to have HT , I've seen a lot of guys with a lot less hair than you & they seem to have done well with HT not saying for one second the Dr you seen don't know what he's talking about tho....there must be a valid reason why he advised not to. It maybe a wrong time being you could loose more hair in the future, maybe its worth looking into meds there is several options out there see what happens in say the next 12/18 mths & get another Dr to give you a second op...

Whatever you decide I wish you well.

The main thing I took from the consultation is that he said it will continue to fall out and would look patchy after a while and would be back in for another transplant. What I don't get is surely that would be the same for most people? He didn't even suggest a HT and then take drugs, just to try the drugs. The obvious issue with that is that even if hair does thicken, the hair line would still be the same, which is part of the problem.

As requested.........

It's a bit fluffy after a shower and wash

I'd get more options tbh mate, just make sure it's reputable doctors, send these pics for an online consultation with some on the top guys like Hasson and Wong, Konior, Rahal, feller (for FUT) or some of the Belgian (bisanga, feriduni) or Turkish docs (Erdogan, Doganay) for FUE etc and see what they say! I'm no expert but the only reason I'd say you'd be unsuitable is if your dead against propecia use, because tbh if you're not taking propecia u will lose the rest of your hair so a HT would only give a dense result temporarily! Your donor doesn't look to be thinning and if meds work for u, seems to me u could get a fairly good result

if you have a good donor area and stable hairloss pattern that is not diffuse, then that would be the best candidate. In saying that, if your hairloss is diffuse, which I have, you can also still be an acceptable HT candidate and have good results.

Perhaps find another reputable HT surgeon for a 2nd opinion.

I have had a reply and he has said -

"It is not simply that surgery is not for

You,It is more that you should look at every possible option to delay further hair loss first.By adopting this strategy you are unlikely to be in the negative position of having to keep coming back for more as and when the hair loss progresses.

I always try to think of what I would do if I were in your situation and I keep coming back to the same conclusion.

It is not simply that surgery is wrong but

An alternative strategy initially may provide a better long term outcome.

Look at where you are now.Then perhaps how you would like to see things change.Simply assess all the + and - involved."

Some good advice there and a little different to how we took it when actually saw him in person. Both my fianc? and I took it as though surgery wasn't for me, but reading the email now makes more sense.

I'm not dead against meds, just didn't fancy doing them with the risk of sides when they wouldn't affect my hair line.

More thinking to do I guess

I have had a reply and he has said -

"It is not simply that surgery is not for

You,It is more that you should look at every possible option to delay further hair loss first.By adopting this strategy you are unlikely to be in the negative position of having to keep coming back for more as and when the hair loss progresses.

I always try to think of what I would do if I were in your situation and I keep coming back to the same conclusion.

It is not simply that surgery is wrong but

An alternative strategy initially may provide a better long term outcome.

Look at where you are now.Then perhaps how you would like to see things change.Simply assess all the + and - involved."

Some good advice there and a little different to how we took it when actually saw him in person. Both my fianc? and I took it as though surgery wasn't for me, but reading the email now makes more sense.

I'm not dead against meds, just didn't fancy doing them with the risk of sides when they wouldn't affect my hair line.

More thinking to do I guess

This assessment sounds bang on, and tbh I wouldn't consider a HT without meds... Certainly not FUT

Some good advice for you to think over buddy but i personally i don't think your a lost cause you still have several personal options to move forward, but one thing for sure on this great forum you will have all the help & support you need of getting you through this stressful time of your life again I wish you well buddy.

I feel like you are a candidate, but I agree you are in a great positron for meds to make a big difference.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I suspect that Mick gave you the 'red light' only AFTER you expressed your negative feelings towards medications.

A medication like Fin has become so normalized over the past decade that not taking it is almost a red flag for a good HT prognosis if the patient is under 40. If I were a rep with a well known and trusted HT clinic and a prospective patient said they would be unwilling to take meds, it would be at least a warning.

That is my theory. Maybe it's whack and maybe Mick would advise against even after 12 successful and trouble free months of fin.

I don't doubt that a lot of that minaturizing hair on top will be permanently lost once those incision needles and blades shred the area, and so you need the strength even more so.

How is the prospect of shaving?

That's is incorrect I'm afraid, I made no indication at the consultation as I hadn't even considered meds at that point. It was only after when he suggested it that I did some reading about them.

Shaving my hair off? It's something I'm willing to give a go, but I don't think I have the right shaped head for it. I may be wrong though and will probably give it a go

That's is incorrect I'm afraid, I made no indication at the consultation as I hadn't even considered meds at that point.

Wow, even more puzzling. Worth seeking second opinions, but with no meds, maybe it's not worth it. Perhaps you can be bald and proud and get all the cudos that goes along with 'not caring' about vain things and having 'nothing to hide'.

I agree that I would try a shaved head out first and see if you like it. It would be pretty maintenance and worry free and really cheap.

View Spanker's Website

I like hearing when doctors put themselves in the shoes of a patient when giving advice. Kudos! Dr. Mohebi does that for me whenever I go back for more work, and it brings me back to Earth again.. he has recommended for me not to bring my hair line lower (it is the mature hairline he restored years ago). Anyway, I would also suggest shaving initially and see how you and your fiance feel about it. If it works for you, it is by far the easiest solution to this hair loss problem (no multiple HT's, no rogaine, no propecia, no anxiety). If it is not for you, you can always talk to another doctor as it is good to get second opinions. but overall, i liked your first doctor's advice very much. kudos to him.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

I actually spoke with Mick on the phone yesterday and we had a good chat. I will probably give the meds a go and see how my body reacts to them, worst case I stop taking them. I also require an operation at the end of the year, so if the meds have not started to help by then I will try the shaved head. I want to do that then as I'll be stuck at home for quite a few weeks, so at least no one will see it if I do no like it!

I appreciate that Mick has been giving me some good advice and not just said go and get surgery, definitely given me some things to think about. Also, thanks to al the comments on here, always good to be able to speak to like minded people!

So I guess the plan is that your Dr wants to see you again n several months then go from there.

I think that's a wise move on both you in going on Meds for a while & see what becomes, you never know it may work out that your hair will strenthen or even grow & even some new hair which would be great . I've hear that some people take to the meds well & fingers crossed this will be you but give the meds some time to adjust in your system.

I myself & proberly a bunch more is thinking of the same lines as you also so I wish you well dude & I sure hope it works out for you.

Edited by ontop
typo