HT and Heart attack !

mikeey

guys and experienced fellow members , as explained by a lot of doctors why do they always say that there is a RISK of Heart failure or stroke OR Excessive Bleeding during the Procedure ? when it is completely safe NO Doc will agree that its 100 % safe , all say it is after all a SURGERY and some Risks are always there in Surgery !!

members please enlighten me ... I am SCARED Now !!

Never heard of someone dying or having a heart attack during a HT. But nothing is 100% risk free! Walking on the road has risks too! It depends mostly on your current health status. If you have heart disease or if you are a high risk patient, it may be a good idea to see a cardiologist and get cardiac clearance before surgery. The adrenaline thats injected with local anaesthesia can pump up your heart. Good luck!

I've read a lot on HTs but that's a new one!

I think there are many more genuine concerns then this, especially around favourable outcomes.

What worried me most strangely enough was a story of someone who had hiccups for weeks afterwards, for some reason this was my biggest concern !!

thx guys , but i need some advice on this topic from reccomended Doctors or their Reps. listed here , also some senior Members input wud be of great help i.e. spex , Bill , David , futureHTDoc ... pls inform on this very imp. topic .

guys and experienced fellow members , as explained by a lot of doctors why do they always say that there is a RISK of Heart failure or stroke OR Excessive Bleeding during the Procedure ? when it is completely safe NO Doc will agree that its 100 % safe , all say it is after all a SURGERY and some Risks are always there in Surgery !!

members please enlighten me ... I am SCARED Now !!

The most important thing is to disclose any medical conditions you are aware of.

I think my heart rate / BP was monitored throughout the procedure and those only really rise because of stress/anxiety, or maybe a bad reaction to medications. That could bring on a heart attack if you have prior history of them. I don't think the risks are high for most people.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

As someone who has just finished quite a big HT session I can say its a tough procedure on the body and head. Lots of micro incisions to the head, loss of blood, samples for PRP, local anesthetic, needles etc etc

I guess your heart rate may increase at times due to stress and anexity but I would not say a heart attack is something to worry about.

Its tough on the body and not a breeze to go through but your doc will ask you to disclose any medical conditions you have prior to the operation and you must tell him of any heart conditions.

If you have no previous heart condition I would not worry about the risk of a heart attack.

What worried me most strangely enough was a story of someone who had hiccups for weeks afterwards

In the first day or two following my first surgery I had a couple of extended bouts (an hour or more) of hiccups.

Later I read in Dr. Dow Stough's text book about hair transplants

that some patients have bouts of hiccups after a hair transplant surgery.

f6580474-c51a-4022-a1bb-7c4babc86417_zps354b8324.jpg?t=1398518138

It was no biggie and I stopped getting them after the 2nd or 3rd post-op days.

I did not get hiccups after my more recent haiir transplant surgery.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

hey redchillin did u have fut or fue ? how many grafts and under which doc ? pls advice

I had 5000 FUE grafts with Dr Koray Erdogan. I am in good health as I do a lot of sports so heart failure never even entered my mind.

Like many people on here I had thousands of anxious thoughts and stress and doubted myself many times prior to the surgery. Right up until the morning of the surgery my mind was going in a thousand directions about whether I am making the right decision or not. Like anything the waiting and anticipation is worse than the actual process of having a HT.

I will not say it was a breeze but I wont say it was horrible either. Its a draining and tiring procedure because you have a lot of stress but when your going through it and afterwards you look back and many of the fears you had were in your head.

I had a great Doctor with state of the art facilaties and staff. The entire building Dr Koray has created is tailor made for hair transplants, every single thing is accounted for. I cannot express in words how impressive a set up he has.

Aslong as you pick the right Doctor and clearly outline what you want I think you will be fine.

Have you any history or heart conidtions?

severecrownless ..... infact your Log in Id says it all ,,,,,, CROWNLESS wish u changed to Brainless ... we all come here hoping to help each other of not only HT but also with the stress and anxious thoughts we get when considering a HT , the fact is that there is a Lawsuit by a widow in 2007 against a LA clinic , she claimed that during the HT due to negligence by the doc , he husband had a Heart Failure and he died !Not only could you die from the local anesthetic that is normally safe in proper doses, but you can have an allergic reaction, an arrhythmia of the heart, a stroke or heart attack at the time of the surgery

Read this crownie :

A 52-year-old man pays $4,000 for a very routine procedure, a hair transplantation, at a Los Angeles clinic but something goes very wrong and now, his widow is suing the clinic for wrongful death.

Yvonne Robison-Riley asks that Crown Cosmetic Surgery and several doctors who worked there be found guilty of wrongful death, negligence and medical malpractice and she is seeking unspecified general, special and punitive damages from the Los Angeles Superior Court.

A representative for Crown Cosmetic Surgery was not immediately available for comment.

According to the lawsuit, Robison-Riley's husband, Walter Riley, went to Crown Cosmetic Surgery on April 27, 2006, for a procedure that included a hair transplant. The suit alleges that Riley died during the procedure because doctors gave him an overdose of the anesthetic lidocane. According to the family's lawyers, the medical firm's own records show Riley received three times the normal amount of lidocaine.

Read more: Widow Sues After Man Dies During Hair Transplant

Any surgery will have this type of disclaimer, especially because of the example that you posted. A man had a heart attack so the surgery is blamed. We live in litigious times so anything that could possibly happen to you, however unlikely, will be covered. If you are really worried about it, I would not have the surgery.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

thats very very true spanker , i just wanted to highlight the one of many risks , its not a walk in the park as some members suggest . u have ur head punctured literally 3000 times atleast for some average density , No one has ever claimed that u will get ur original density back ... its usually about 25 or max 30 % ,

But whatever u suggest is also liable , we live our lives in courts and trials :)

I would say the density is greater than that for people that aren't totally bald. And higher for some than others, but it's true that you won't get your original density back. However, many people are happier with their appearance after their surgery.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.