#of grafts suggested from online consultation

GrowNewHair

Hey Guys!!!

Just wanted to ask for your opinions.:) I recently had an online consultation with Hasson & Wong. I submitted my photos and the consultant named Mike called me back. He said that both doctors (Hasson & Wong) looked at my photos and they recommended that 4000 grafts will be good for me.

I was little surprised by that recommendation since I still have some hair left on top of my head. But since that was my first ever consultation with any hair restoration clinic, I thought maybe that is what I really need to get the desired outcome.

But then, I also had another consultation via online with Dr. Beehner from Saratoga Hair Transplant Center and from his e-mail reply, he suggested around 1500 grafts. So I'm little confused here. 4000 grafts and 1500 grafts are big difference!

From Hasson & Wong, I didn't get to speak with either doctors directly. With Saratoga Hair, the doctor himself (Dr. Beehner) replied back to me. I was kind of leaning toward Hasson & Wong because of their reputation (not to discredit Dr. Beehner in any manner as I know he is just as reputable as anyone) but I think 4000 grafts would be little too much for someone like myself.

I'm going to attach some of my photos. See and tell me if you think 4000 grafts is sufficient.

I also have upcoming phone consultation with Dr. Diep and in person consultation with True & Dorin (don't know which one I'm going to meet).

Your feedbacks are greatly appreciated.

About myself:

Asian male

46 years old

Have been losing hair for 21 years.

Thank you guys!!!:)

5b32dd590b9aa_frontview.jpg.f243ca9080c278007859f4970ba64ba8.jpg

5b32dd5920757_lookingdown.jpg.9f53cc395201c8295655a3b4616373e2.jpg

5b32dd5930226_leftside.jpg.1f531b664612f1fa07c8a0425ae91d7b.jpg

5b32dd5948529_rightside.jpg.53cae26dd522bed1fd6bf141ca02b30d.jpg

5b32dd59606e1_2014-01-0300_10_13.jpg.83059f82fee185a70e1463471153c240.jpg

You are thinning quite a lot on the top and without a transplant you will be a Nw 5/6 at some point in the future.

A hair transplant surgeon should take that fact into consideration.

1500 might thicken it up to a satisfactory result. However, when you lose the preexisting hair you will look very thin with only 1500 grafts scattered on the whole of you top scalp.

4000 sounds about right. This will give you the coverage you need and even when the preexisting hair falls out, you'll still look fine.

So. 1500 will be OK to make a cosmetic difference today. But you need more surgery later when your existing hair thins out.

4000 we give you what you want today and the future. You probably won't need any more sessions. Or maybe just a minor session.

You are thinning quite a lot on the top and without a transplant you will be a Nw 5/6 at some point in the future.

A hair transplant surgeon should take that fact into consideration.

1500 might thicken it up to a satisfactory result. However, when you lose the preexisting hair you will look very thin with only 1500 grafts scattered on the whole of you top scalp.

4000 sounds about right. This will give you the coverage you need and even when the preexisting hair falls out, you'll still look fine.

So. 1500 will be OK to make a cosmetic difference today. But you need more surgery later when your existing hair thins out.

4000 we give you what you want today and the future. You probably won't need any more sessions. Or maybe just a minor session.

thanks, baldie.

I think 4000 will be good then. Dr. Beehner did mention that one session of 1500 grafts will be good for now. He said that when the native hairs fall out in 10 years or after, then I can come back for the second surgery. Perhaps Dr. Beehner is taking more conservative approach?

Hasson & Wong can do mega sessions, so I guess that's why they recommended 4000 grafts. One session of 4000 grafts and be done with it for the rest of my life? Well that sounds good to me! :D

I agree moreso with H&W than Beehner. Most people want to address as much as possible at one time as possible. 1,500 will make a cosmetic difference, but probably not so much as to make you completely content. I would have guessed that you needed around 3,000-3,500 based on tha tpicture. However you could probably get away with 2,500 as well.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

I agree moreso with H&W than Beehner. Most people want to address as much as possible at one time as possible. 1,500 will make a cosmetic difference, but probably not so much as to make you completely content. I would have guessed that you needed around 3,000-3,500 based on tha tpicture. However you could probably get away with 2,500 as well.

thanks, nick. :)

I was thinking the same thing. making a cosmetic difference would be nice but, I don't know if that's going to be a "full head of hair" or something close to it. I was thinking probably not. and that's what's making me lean toward H&W. I saw the patients' photo from Dr. Beehner's website. although i'm thoroughly impressed with the results, I was thinking 'maybe they could've used more grafts and have more density?' I don't know. maybe i'm wrong. but the impression I got from dr. beehner is more of a conservative approach.

i'm going to see what dr. diep gonna say. I have a phone consultation scheduled with him tomorrow.

I think 4000 may be a waste. Because you seem to have a good potential for donor and your balding area is not so big. In my opinion 2000 with FUE is enough for you. That would be optimal.

thanks, wholly.

perhaps, from online consultation the correct amount of grafts might be a little difficult to tell? maybe in person consultation is the best way to find out. I can't wait for the in house consultation I have scheduled with true & dorin. and maybe if schedule works out, I might be able to visit dr. diep in his office in los gatos, ca next week.

I would avoid Dr. Diep if I was you. His results are good, but his tactics are questionable. If you're going FUE, don't stay in the USA. Go to Europe. Your money, time, emotions will be much more satisfied out there than any North American doctor will be able to offer you. If you're going strip, there are many doctors that I would consider in North America, but Dr. Diep is not one of them.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Grownewhair,

It really depends on what you filled out as your expectations, if you are looking to cover most of your balding pattern then for sure 4000 grafts will work for you.

If you just want to do the hairline and frontal area then around 2000 could be appropriate, assuming you are leaving the hairline in the shape you currently have.

Forget the frontal photos it is the last photo of the top of your head that shows the true extend of your thinning which is in a NW5-6 pattern.

You are 46 and have been thinning for 21 years which tells me your loss is slow and not aggressive so I don't see the need to be conservative in your case.

But maybe conservative is the way you wish to go and just address the frontal area?

It is good that you are seeking further consultations that will help with your research and my advice would also take a look at many results in the results section of this site and compare the number of grafts used on patients with a similar hair loss pattern to you and the area covered with these grafts.

All the best.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Keep in mind that the hair you currently have will be gone eventually, and there's no way of telling when. Those 4k grafts will help compensate for when that does happen. As someone already stated, you're a high NW, so eventually you're going to need more than 1500 for full coverage and proper density. With your level of loss expect to use at least 7-8k grafts for near total coverage and decent density.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I would go with 4k and agree that you will need more in the future to maintain the look. Are you on finasteride? If not I would suggest getting on it first and seeing what that does for you. You should keep in mind that can greatly extend the life of your existing hair and if you were willing to be on it a while before surgery, could reduce the number of grafts you currently need.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Each clinic's approach is different and therefore the number of grafts may also differ as well. If you were our patient and your concern was to rebuild the hairline and also get density to the mid scalp to the crown areas, we would recommend about 2500 grafts. We would use the one and two hair units for the frontal hair line and the three hair units in the mid scalp to crown for density.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Meshkin who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network.

Thank you all for your comments!

As with the procedure, I don't want to be too conservative. I want to get as much density as allowed. I am very happy to have found this website with so many people whom I can ask for advices.

I am going to attach photos of before (I was 25 or 26?) and after (now). This is the kind of look and density I want to achieve. Hope I am not setting a unrealistic goal.

Maybe I should've attached this photo for the online consultation. Then the doctors would have better idea as to how much grafts would be needed.

Again, thanks for all your comments, guys! :)

5b32dd5d05a1a_desiredlook.jpg.61aaa7acdd456d5ad269f8b4ff2be1bc.jpg

5b32dd5d1398f_frontview.jpg.79b122883563352d2530a48e48b2d78d.jpg

Thank you all for your comments!

As with the procedure, I don't want to be too conservative. I want to get as much density as allowed. I am very happy to have found this website with so many people whom I can ask for advices.

I am going to attach photos of before (I was 25 or 26?) and after (now). This is the kind of look and density I want to achieve. Hope I am not setting a unrealistic goal.

Maybe I should've attached this photo for the online consultation. Then the doctors would have better idea as to how much grafts would be needed.

Again, thanks for all your comments, guys! :)

If you want that look, or something as close as possible to that, then go with the 4,000 H&W recommended. 1,500 would get you no where near that I think.

Depends on what you consider conservative, that's open to interpretation. In my opinion you will need 4000 grafts. Since you are new there is a lot of pictures on this website that will show you other people with the same sort of hairloss as you. Remember high def pictures showing the same lighting and angles you give you a proper before and after.

Good luck.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson