4,500 FUE Dr Hakan Doganay 07th March 2014

BFA316

To confirm, this 4,500 procedure was done in the one day after the clinic assured me they had enough staff to ensure the turnaround would be quick enough not to effect the quality of the grafts.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's saddens me to say this, but it does not look very good for 8 months. I mean 4500 grafts, u should have a lot more coverage. Have u contacted ur dr.

It's actually only 7 months. I have emailed them my pictures today and have requested Dr Hakan comment on them as I am disappointed with the results so far. Hope to hear back from him in the next couple of days

Ok keep us posted. I really hope things will progress for you and that are simply a slow grower.

Thanks, here's hoping! Will definitely be keeping the thread updated - seen too many posters just disappear without knowing the end result.

i would tell you not to fret,i had a procedure last year in september with hakan,and i could say that i'm going on 13 months from the first one,and i'm seeing appreciable visible growth now,so i will give it a complete 2 year timeline before saying if it's a failure.I am presently in shockloss from this years procedure,and i am seeing growth from last year.

i would tell you not to fret,i had a procedure last year in september with hakan,and i could say that i'm going on 13 months from the first one,and i'm seeing appreciable visible growth now,so i will give it a complete 2 year timeline before saying if it's a failure.I am presently in shockloss from this years procedure,and i am seeing growth from last year.

Thanks for the reassurance, it's good to hear that you're still seeing growth from the first procedure. I've been reading your thread - good luck with your growth!

I think one theory I have heard is that in long-bald scalp there may not be enough blood vessel infrastructure to support the grafts, and with FUE's skinny grafts, it is possible that this problem is exacerbated. But that's just a wild-ass guess.

If you want to move a lot of grafts in one setting, FUT is the way to go.

one setting meaning what? one day or several days. and 4500 grafts really isn't a lot of grafts. plenty of HT doctors have transplanted 4500 grafts via FUE with total success.

I personally think that 2500 grafts over 2 days is the max that should be carried out.

Any more and the grafts are compromised.

A lot of top dr's concur with this approach also.

Unfortunately I don't agree at all with above posters that it is early days.

Most viable grafts should be through the surface at this stage and at least in the early signs of growth. Post month 8 it's about maturing really.

Good luck and I would go with smaller sessions here on in to fix up.

I've seen thousands of transplants over the past 11 years, and the best ones are almost always precocious. Clinics like to advertise a 12-to-18-month growth horizon (mostly to sate anxious and irate patients), but in my experience, the six-month mark is telling. Of course, that's not to say that the transplant is entirely grown in by six months, but it's usually much closer to complete than they'd like you to believe. Bottom line: the best transplants almost always start strong.

The harsh truth about this particular case is that the gentleman was a poor candidate for any transplant, let alone FUE. He had an aggressive, high-norwood balding pattern in his mid-20s. People like that should not get hair transplants unless they belong to that exceedingly small class of men with extraordinary hair characteristics. And that class probably comprises less than five percent of men. Otherwise, there simply isn't enough hair to go around. It's basic math.

The modern hair transplant procedure is most effective on over-30 men in the Norwood 3-4 range. Indeed, the standard "wow" result comes from using 2,000-3,000 grafts in the frontal third alone. First, that's what's needed to provide sufficient density even in a small area. Second, that sort of procedure is advisable only when the man does not have balding outside the NW 3-4 range.

totally agree that if i was to redo it,i would've done 2500 grafts in 2 sessions in 2013,and 2500 in 2014.that would've been perfect,but we learn with experience.

on the other hand the growth that you are talking about at 6 months is not visible(not in my case anyway),where i started seeing visible growth was at the 11 month mark,and it's probably going to mature til 18 to 24 months.

Large fue sessions will yield less than smaller ones,that has become apparent,that's why my second session(08-2014) was 2600 grafts(1200 beard).

I have one question though,do beard hairs go thru shockloss?

Why would there be a difference between FUT and FUE in regards to the acceptable total number of grafts placed? FUE is more labor intensive, however, if there are many different shift changes throughout the procedure, why would it matter? Most of the work is carried out by technicians anyway. Any thoughts?

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

FUE is good when you have bigger grafts, and lots of multifollicular units that are more robust. Dr Wen Yi Wu mentioned that in East Asian patients, they have thick hair, but more singles, which makes FUE more difficult and reduces survival.

FUE is more difficult and certainly more time consuming, but many surgeons, especially in some countries, are letting their technicians do most of the work. So wouldn't replacing the technicians more often during a procedure be a way to increase graft survival?

Assuming that the technicians are switched out after a few hours, wouldn't it be true that:

1000 grafts will yield a 90% growth rate.

2000 will yield a 90 % growth rate.

3000 grafts will yield a 90% growth rate.

4000 grafts will yield a 90 % growth rate.

Why would the growth rate decrease only because the number increases?

Or does Dr. Doganay do ALL of the extractions himself?

Cheers!

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

You make the assumption that the only variable is the doctor / technician fatigue.

There are a TON of variables to a successful transplant.

One of the main ones is the 'take' or blood supply in bedding new grafts in.

The higher numbers going in the more competition for the vascular attachment which leads to dead grafts.

Its very noticeable on a lot of 2 day procedures the 2nd day has been less successful

Wouldn't the factor of blood supply (or lack thereof) also hold true for FUT? If so, would you say that there is a correlation between mega sessions and lower yield (for FUT and FUE alike)?

I have heard back from the clinic regarding my progress and they have accepted that the results are not what they would expect for 7 months. They have already mentioned a free HT if the results are still lacking by 12 months - not exactly filling me with much confidence. They've also mentioned washing my hair 2-3 times a day which is highly impractical and surely not what should be expected to be done by the 7 month stage?

I've seen thousands of transplants over the past 11 years, and the best ones are almost always precocious. Clinics like to advertise a 12-to-18-month growth horizon (mostly to sate anxious and irate patients), but in my experience, the six-month mark is telling. Of course, that's not to say that the transplant is entirely grown in by six months, but it's usually much closer to complete than they'd like you to believe. Bottom line: the best transplants almost always start strong.

Very much in agreement with this. Those suggesting that 6-8 months is "early days" are being disingenuous and 9 times out of 10, are just offering false hope. More often than not, the kick-ass results are looking well underway by 6 months. While I accept that there are genuine slow growers, I think 80% of patients who are described as such are actually nothing of the sort - they've just had failed hair transplants and are being told to wait longer for confirmation.

In this patient's case, I don't think he should've gone for a HT procedure at all let alone a mega FUE session but what's done is done. Another procedure with the same surgeon?? I don't the "hair of the dog that bit you" approach applies to HTs. If the surgeon botched it 1st time, go elsewhere