Round 2 "Cant Decide" is done

I had my procedure two days ago with Dr. Rahal. The clinic was great as usual. However, we fell well short of my target of 4000 grafts. Actually, the target based on the docs plan was 3500 but I told him to try and get to 4000. The proposed 3500 was to cover most of the crown as well as tweak the temple corners/hairline. Unfortunately, we only ended up with about 2700 grafts of which, 300 were put in the front and about 2400 in the crown. The reason for the lower than expected count was not so much my laxity which was good. Nor was it due to my scar as it was 1 mm. It looks like I had a good amount of scar tissue that formed under by scar which was not visible. This was a major factor for the lower then expected yield.

Dr. Rahal said that I do have about 2000 or so grafts left either by strip/fue or fue alone which is good and puts my lifetime supply at about 10,000 and not 11,000 as previously estimated. Nonetheless, I am not complaining since I like how the grafts were placed and I do feel this will give me an overall nice cosmetic improvement to an already great first result. Knowing that I have 2000 or so left also makes me feel good.

I will post pics later. I am still at the Brookline. Nice place and met some great guys from Scotland, Italy, and Toranto.

That is all for now......

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Hey Can't-

Congrats buddy! I know you were really looking forward to getting 4000 grafts, but you're going to have such an amazing head of hair with the 2700!!! I really can't wait to see what a huge difference that is going to make! Really happy to hear that all went well! How are you feeling? What's it like the second time around in regards to pain.....as it was so long ago for me now that I sorta forgot.

Awesome that you have made some International friends at Brookline.....I really love that house. When are you due home?!

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Can't

Congrats on your new grafts.

Can you please detail a little bit about the scar tissue issue. How does it limit the number of grafts in particular?

Thanks

Yes, how does underlying scar tissue hurt the yield? I don't really understand.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Can't

Congrats on your new grafts.

Can you please detail a little bit about the scar tissue issue. How does it limit the number of grafts in particular?

Thanks

Yes, how does underlying scar tissue hurt the yield? I don't really understand.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Congrats. I know that you'll keep us updated!! You're going to look great after all is said and done.

That being said, do you wanna sell 2,000 grafts?? :-D

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Thanks everyone!!

I am not quite sure either about how the underneith scar tissue exactly impacts the harvest. However, while this seems to be the main reason, it's not the only reason I fell somewhat short. I am sure there were other factors.

Nick: Can't sell them bud. I value those babies like gold!! :)

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Can't

Hey pal, you deserve to have an explanation from the doc. You are still there right? The community is behind you so why not get a better explanation? And what other factors are you referring to? Remember you are supporting others on here, who might have a similar circumstance one day.

Thanks

Can't

Hey pal, you deserve to have an explanation from the doc. You are still there right? The community is behind you so why not get a better explanation? And what other factors are you referring to? Remember you are supporting others on here, who might have a similar circumstance one day.

Thanks

The doc did explain but honestly, I was distracted at the time. I had a bit lower density than expected this second op as well which did not help. Also, the right side was a bit tight.

So far, I am at about 7900 grafts with 2k + more in the tank via fue so I think I am still in good shape overall.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

The doc did explain but honestly, I was distracted at the time. I had a bit lower density than expected this second op as well which did not help. Also, the right side was a bit tight.

So far, I am at about 7900 grafts with 2k + more in the tank via fue so I think I am still in good shape overall.

You know, if you change your mind about those 2,000 FUE grafts, let this kid know!

Just out of curiosity, would you return to Rahal for your FUE? Or would you head across the pond to Europe?

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Ok guys, here are the pics in the following order:

Preop #1 from Procedure #1

Preop #1 from Procedure #2

Preop #2 from Procedure #2

Preop #3 from Procedure #2

Preop #4 and plan from Procedure #2

Postop #1 from Procedure #2

Postop #2 from Procedure #2

By the way, I buzzed my hair to 1/4 inch which is why the post op pics look goofy. Note that the post op areas that look completely bare contain hair but are just shaven down completely. My main goal was never to cover the entire crown in this round. It was to shrink it and make my side profiles look better crown wise . I think 2700 grafts should give a nice improvement in this regard.

Be gentle :).....

5b32d9fc0fb68_Preop1fromProcedure1.jpg.3cefa2a0fd2b567a27718bffc4ef2f5d.jpg

5b32d9fc1ccd4_Preop1fromProcedure2.jpg.5fe464741eb844cf695411f4b2ad6ac4.jpg

5b32d9fc2caf6_Preop2fromProcedure2.jpg.9848fcd0bcea17ca35af96b386d6428b.jpg

5b32d9fc3db3e_Preop3fromProcedure2.jpg.655fa82071b0948b12212836a40485a0.jpg

5b32d9fc4dd55_Preop4fromProcedure2.jpg.71451aae7dad7ca9296ef5b819ec2d54.jpg

5b32d9fc62439_Postop1fromProcedure2.jpg.cef40a08a7dfc2112d110551a2c796cc.jpg

5b32d9fc74401_Postop2fromProcedure2.jpg.b5e9665db58a460dd339435840ca9177.jpg

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Can't-

Looks so awesome buddy! That is going to do wonders for you, and I'm so pleased you are finally done!!! I take it you made it back to the US safely already? Can't wait to see it all start growing. What did it feel like shaving all your hair off......I bet there's a bit of reluctance to do so?! LOL

It just goes to show you how far you've come....especially when you show us your very first picture from prep procedure #1. Very happy for you!!!

Congrats,

Mike

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

P.S. I like that you tweaked your temples a little bit....from what I can tell that is going to look REALLY nice!! You said you had 300 grafts added to the front in total???

Thanks Agent!! I love that first post op pic. Not bad for a 40+ year old guy :). Really puts things in perspective for me!!

I got home a few hours ago and am amazed at how little pain and tighness I have this time around.

Shaving my hair was tramatic :)

By the way, good job on your new role as an online Rahal rep. Your doing a great job!!

Right 300 to tweak the temples.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Day 5 and feel great!! Its amazing how much better I feel than after procedure #1. I know this one was smaller but I was not expecting to feel this much better than the first time. No donor tightness and no donor/recipient soreness at all.

It may have a lot to do with knowing what to expect as well though since I have been through this before.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Big congrats CD! That pre op with your hair in a hairband... that's probably the best pic I've seen showing off your first procedure, beautiful result.

And good hear that it was even easier second time around, heard a few cases where the strip scar can make it a little more painful second time but really good that that wasnt the case for you.

Those 2700 grafts should make a huge difference. Full head of hair just around the corner :cool:

Congrats "Can't"...I am sure you will get a great result from the hands of Dr. Rahal. It is interesting that you went from a goal of 4000 grafts down to 2700 grafts. If you ever find more information and details about what the specific problems were please share it with us. I too hope to get a crown transplant sometime in the next year, but Crystalens is next on the agenda for this old man!

ac0bd382-b6c8-430e-ab6e-101677e27a1a_zpsb4720933.jpg

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Looks good buddy!! I also had almost zero tension or pain in my second procedure, albeit my first procedure was about 6 times smaller than yours but I was surprised because I always thought the pain and tension post-op would increase with multiple procedures. Anyways it sucks to miss you goal, but I'm sure this will turn out great, and as much as it sucks having to go under the knife another time at least you have more for another round if needed.

Thanks guys for the kind words. Post op a breeze so far and feeling good. To now, only my wife knew I had the first HT. I just "Came out" to the inlaws about the first and this latest HT and it felt good. Taking the pressure off by not keeping it such a secret makes this much easier. Of course, I am not telling everyone. However, I will not hesitate to tell those I am close to this time around. I highly recommend it!!

I am realizing that expecting 4000 in a second op was a bit of a pipe dream. Rahal never said he could but said he would try but he did think 3500 was totally doable and this 3500 number would have gotten me to my overall ideal goal. The way I am looking at it is that the 2700 is about 75% of the 3500 so it should get me to 75% of where I wanted to get to ultimately. This is not bad at all and I think I can live without the extra 25%. If it turns out as I expect, I dont plan to get a third and I will be in good shape.

I cant forget that I was a NW 6 and after this, I will be no where near that so I am very thankful.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

To now, only my wife knew I had the first HT. I just "Came out" to the inlaws about the first and this latest HT and it felt good. Taking the pressure off by not keeping it such a secret makes this much easier. Of course, I am not telling everyone. However, I will not hesitate to tell those I am close to this time around. I highly recommend it!!

Totally agree!

I have been open about my HT and it is very liberating.

And everyone has been very supportive,

I cant forget that I was a NW 6 and after this, I will be no where near that so I am very thankful.

You are going to be thrilled and a totally different looking person once you are 12 months post-op of your 2nd HT. To see pre-transplant pictures vs. post-op 2nd HT is going to be really cool.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.