My Repair Is Almost Complete (w/pics.)

wylie

Well, it's been a long road. I've been wearing a hat everywhere since the mid 90's, so for almost 20 years I've had to hide my hair from the world. That takes a toll on a person's psyche, to say nothing of how it affects the rest of your life. All I can say, to summarize how I feel today, is thank God for doctors like Dr. Umar.

No one else could have helped me. I was simply stripped out, with no donor and a head full of "mini grafts", made all the worse by dark, very fine hair contrasted against pale skin. Concealers wouldn't work to hide the plugs, and using them was as obvious as the plugs themselves. Before I found Dr. Umar I had a very small strip done by the very skilled Dr. Konior, who was able to soften the row of plugs with around 600 grafts. As small as that was it made a big difference. But the only one who would see it was myself, as the hat rarely came off.

But then I found out about Dr. Umar, when I caught wind of beard hair now being used as an alternative to scalp hair. I believe this was late 2007 or so. I flew out to Redondo Beach to see Dr. Umar, and I can say, from the very beginning, Dr. Umar's confidence in his ability to fix my hair never wavered. His personality is rather stoic, and he never made any promises either way, but he said he could probably fix my hair with a casual confidence that provided the first ray of hope I had in well over a decade.

But my experience with this industry never allowed me to think this would, or could, be fixed. I read so many stories online about how beard hair was a scam, how growth rates were terrible, and often about how it looked terrible as well. No matter where I went, the stories were overwhelmingly negative. But then I started seeing a trend repeat itself: The naysayers had never gotten any beard hair added to their nuggets, and the doctors were not able to harvest beard hair and expertly blend it with scalp hair on people like myself.

Hmmmmm........

Well, my first session was the hairline repair, with scalp hair, and some nape, used. Dr. Umar could still harvest scalp hair with FUE, and he backed it up with beard. The next two surgeries were almost all beard hair, filling in around and behind the plugs, and the last surgery was almost all beard into my numerous strip scars. In total, over the course of 4 surgeries, I have had over 5000 beard grafts extracted, over 1000 scalp grafts, and a few hundred nape hairs. All the beard hair has been below the jawline, and there are still a few more grafts left, probably around 500 or so. No evidence whatsoever of them being taken, either.

This beard hair is a lifesaver in so many ways. There is no way anyone can tell it is different than scalp hair, myself included. The only way I know it is not scalp is when I get out of bed in the morning, or when I'm outside on a windy day. I know how my fine hair looked in the wind, and I know what it looked like in the bathroom mirror in the morning. Now it has a body and control I've never had before, and I still smile in the morning when I look in the mirror and my hair looks like I never slept all night on it.

Rather than tell everyone how happy I am, you can see from these pictures my hair looks relatively normal these days. My bald crown I could care less about. No plugs ever touched it, and I never had a scalp reduction, which were all the rage in the 90's :eek: I'm quite happy to leave it looking as it does, as a bald crown is quite common in men in their 40's.

Also, all the gray hair you see in these pictures are beard hairs. You can see for yourself how beard looks on the scalp from these. most of my beard hair is brown, I'd say 10-20% of the beard was gray. All my scalp hair is still light brown, so the contrast in colors makes it easy to see what beard looks like when mixed in. :)

IMG_0021_zpse39beb5b.jpg

IMG_0012_zps780be73e.jpg

IMG_0013_zpsbd42fb4f.jpg

IMG_0007_zpscd5d86d3.jpg

IMG_0003_zps128d9078.jpg

so these 5k beard grafts went into the front and mid and also into your strip scar? i no everyone is gonna say this but i really am very happy for you, you found a way out and it looks very age appropriate, i will be visiting dr umar when i run out of head hair, it will mostley be going into my crown, enjoy the new hair

Thanks bro. Yes, the grafts went into the front of my hair, to about mid scalp, and around 800 or so into my strip scars.

If you choose to use beard, and visit Dr. Umar, you would not be disappointed with your results. ;)

Man, I have read your story a long time ago, and I know you have had a rough road, but I can't recall the whole story. Do you have any pre-repair pics? You hair looks very nice and natural now.

I love my beard. Can you tell a difference when you grow the beard out? Its it still useful as a bread?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Man, I have read your story a long time ago, and I know you have had a rough road, but I can't recall the whole story. Do you have any pre-repair pics? You hair looks very nice and natural now.

I love my beard. Can you tell a difference when you grow the beard out? Its it still useful as a bread?

I have some pre repair pics., but they were taken by me, and they really don't even come close to showing how awful my hair looked. In the pics. it really didn't look too terrible. Just to remind myself how far I've come, Dr. Umar printed out some pictures for me pre-repair to when I last visited, and the difference is remarkable. But even those pictures didn't do my present state justice because I don't think you can get on film how horrible my hair looked. It's another reason more doctors should go straight to video, pictures don't reveal the true extent of successful repairs like video can. I now understand why Dr. Umar uses almost exclusively video. I think everyone should.

As far as your question, I don't like having my beard hair long on top. It becomes harder and harder to style as it grows longer, and it requires gel to keep everything looking like I want it to. Beard has a tendency, at length, to be harder to manage than scalp hair. The flip side, I've discovered, is it is practically maintenance free at short length. After a hair cut I barely need to comb my hair in the morning.

This will likely vary from patient to patient, but that is my experience. And since I've had my strip scars repaired, I can now cut my hair short in back, to a 1.5 guard I think my barber said (She has watched all my progress too, and is as thrilled as I am) :)

Man your hair looks great! Usually I don't think beard hair looks natural on the head, however I would never have guessed that you had transplanted beard hair if you didn't tell me. The fact that you can shave down the sides so short almost eliminates the contrast between the sides and top and makes everything look really great. Super happy for you brotha!!

Its amazing, I never knew that beard can give around 5000 grafts!!! I thought a beard can give 2000 grafts maximum and chest gives 500 grafts. I was told this by other surgeons although Im an Arab-Turkish and quite hairy. Im inspired right now after knowing that a beard can give this much :D:D:D

How many grafts were placed into your strip scar? Did the beard grafts yielded very well there? :confused:

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

I wouldn't know you had used beard hair Wylie. It looks very good, natural and glad to see there was light at the end of the tunnel.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Dude congrats, you are nearing the end of the repair journey road. Throw away those frigging hats!! You are looking natural now and that's the name of the game for repair patients. I am really impressed by you donor area which is looking great, must be nice to keep it short and not worry about the back.

Congrats and post some more pics a little down the line. What a relief it must be for you!! Dr. Umar was a God send for you fo sho.

Congrats Wylie. Looks awesome buddy! Must feel great to have such a big change. I understand all too well how a hair restoration totally changes the way you look and feel about yourself.....so very happy to see that the result turned out well for you!

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Thanks a lot gentleman, I'm indeed very grateful that someone out there has the ability to turn around a situation that was, for many years, totally hopeless. The truth is, without Dr. Umar, the situation would remain hopeless.

Getting your hair repaired after 20 years is like getting out of prison after 20 years, the freedom is great but you look back with regret over the years lost hiding under ball caps. I'm grateful for forums like this one and informed posters like you guys making sure others don't repeat my mistakes. Keep up the good work lads!

This is exactly one week post op in 2011. Only looks like some razor rash, and in less than two weeks, no visible sign anything at all was done. I think around 1500 were taken.

IMG_0030-1.jpg

IMG_0028-1.jpg

Thanks for posting 2011 pic can you please post current pic after 5000k is taken out and how it looks now

If you can send pic close up with clean shave of mandible and please send not only neck stretch look but send resting look of neck.

Thanks for posting 2011 pic can you please post current pic after 5000k is taken out and how it looks now

If you can send pic close up with clean shave of mandible and please send not only neck stretch look but send resting look of neck.

Um.....no.

Wylie I mean to say can you post pic of just your clean shaven mandible now how it looks you don't need to show face.i was curious to see how clean shave looks after 5000k beard is extracted.do u still can clean shave or u have to keep light stubble

Yes, I can clean shave, no visible sign of scarring. A couple things you should know:

1) All grafts were taken from below the jawline. I keep a light beard for my own preference, because I like it, but my face remains untouched from harvesting.

2) I have few grafts left below the jawline, maybe 500. My neck does not need to be shaved but around twice a week. It used to be daily. I will visit Dr. Umar one more time next month for 400 grafts, an afternoon session. He does afternoon sessions of 700 or less grafts.

3) There is zero evidence of beard extractions. I have never heard of a Caucasian complaining of scarring from a beard extraction. If you are Indian or Asian you might want to consult with someone like Dr. Bhatti, seems to have a lot of experience with these skin types and beard grafts, although I bet Dr. Umar does as well. I'm really not too sure.

Hope this helps.

wylie thanks for replying. this is nice to hear.i request you to take pic of your clean shaven jawline and post it.i am now more curious to see your clean shaven pic.u said their is zero eveidence and you already posted pic from 2011 and now you can share current pic not only me their are other people also who want to see how clean shave work from umar look.

very nice to hear about dr bhatti and he charges 1$per or 1.25$ graft fue whether scalp or beard or body hair.he has posted close up pic of caucasian and he has lot of patient going from this forum to india to dr bhatti.i am really glad and appreciate that you recommended bhatti on par with umar and i am seeing all his results on forum also he is a saviour

BHATTI PRICE ROCKS 1$ P/GRAFT OR 1.25$.wylie u r responsive its very good please if u can post close up pic in nice natural light ur clean shaven current photo with neck stretch and rest both position wylie i hear beard hair sheddds a lot while combing is it true as compare to head hair

wylie thanks for replying. this is nice to hear.i request you to take pic of your clean shaven jawline and post it.i am now more curious to see your clean shaven pic.u said their is zero eveidence and you already posted pic from 2011 and now you can share current pic not only me their are other people also who want to see how clean shave work from umar look.

very nice to hear about dr bhatti and he charges 1$per or 1.25$ graft fue whether scalp or beard or body hair.he has posted close up pic of caucasian and he has lot of patient going from this forum to india to dr bhatti.i am really glad and appreciate that you recommended bhatti on par with umar and i am seeing all his results on forum also he is a saviour

BHATTI PRICE ROCKS 1$ P/GRAFT OR 1.25$.wylie u r responsive its very good please if u can post close up pic in nice natural light ur clean shaven current photo with neck stretch and rest both position wylie i hear beard hair sheddds a lot while combing is it true as compare to head hair

I never said Dr. Bhatti is on par with Dr. Umar, nor did I endorse his work, I merely stated that you can ask him for pictures of Indian patients who had beard hair extracted. I'm not too sure how extensive his experience with this is and I'm also not sure if he does good work, that is subjective and I never implied that he did.

No offence. Its ok at least u name dr Bhatt n I think he has not done that big session of beard as u have gone with.he has posted enough of pic.wylie if u can post pic from 2011,i m not sure

What is the hurdle in current clean shaven with zero evidence as u mentioned.wylie I like work on ur scalp ,I was very looking forward to see ur jawline after 5000 graft being pulled wow

I am shocked that 5000beard can be pulled and with no trace thatbhair being pulled.after your current pic not only me but lot of user and folically challenge people will feel relieved that beard is coming as relief.after seeing ur head I am sure I would like to go for 5000beard on scalp just waiting on clean shaven close up pic of ur jawline of before and after 5000beard photo in natural light and close up view.i will go with beard rather then head hair and I will save head hair for later stage and again just waiting to see ur close up current pic.wylie did u went on stand by or regular price and did umar gave u refund for posting pic as he has on his website that if u gv him permission to use pic, video he gives some refund/discount.wylie I am looking frwd to ur close up pic in natural light.wylie one more question what tool he used for extraction as far as all patients on forum said they were pass out and dnt remember anything about imar surgery.were u in same boat that u were also pass out during entire surgery or u remember.