Do you sleep during a HT?

It's really up to the patient. I have some situational panic disorder, like in packed elevators, dental chairs, packed airplanes. So I explained this during my consult and we decided it was best if I was pretty loopy for my 10-12 hours in the surgery chair. You can ask your doctor to give you something to kind of relax or something stronger to really relax. I was out for most of my surgery.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Many HT doctors understand the accompanying anxiety that goes along with any surgical procedure. Because a local anesthesia is used, it is not necessary for the patient to be unconscious during the procedure.

Having said that, many docs administer an anti-anxiety medication such as Valium as a pre-med to calm the patient. Some are beginning to use Ambien as an alternative since Ambien is not a narcotic. Still, the calming/side effects can cause the patient to sleep during the procedure.

Many clinics also offer their patients the option of listening to music or even watching a movie. Many have a monitor with a DVD player situated for patient viewing.

Wishing you the best in your upcoming procedure. ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I was wide alert. Listened to the Ipod for a while but generally just sat there enjoying the experience....weirdly! It was "only" five hours though, for a meggasession I'd be taking a blanket and some pillows.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

It's really up to the patient. I have some situational panic disorder, like in packed elevators, dental chairs, packed airplanes. So I explained this during my consult and we decided it was best if I was pretty loopy for my 10-12 hours in the surgery chair. You can ask your doctor to give you something to kind of relax or something stronger to really relax. I was out for most of my surgery.

Hehe, I have this also. I should have told my doctor ahead of time as the valium wasn't really strong enough and I did have a brief "freak out" in which I NEEDED to move at some point when my strip was being removed and I started hyperventilating. The assistants calmed me down and within 5 minutes I was good to go for the rest.

This response can be tamed but you have to stay on top of it.

I could have slept through the extraction process, had I been inclined to - since my procedure was FUE, there's only a veeerrrry slight pain involved in that aspect of the procedure, and you can tune it out fairly easily once you adjust.

The second half, with the numbing needles in the forehead and the graft insertion? No, I found the numbing far too uncomfortable for that, but as I understand it everyone's pain threshold varies, as well as the efifcacy of the numbing agents interacting with your own body. You might be able to snooze through it just fine, but the only thing that helped me was distracting myself with a movie. I wouldn't say it ever got to more than a 5 or 6 out of 10 (the highest being when the needles were first inserted) on the pain scale, but it was enough to keep me from being relaxed.

All that said, given that I was in a chair from 8am to 5pm with only one brief lunch break and a couple of short bathroom trips, the time went by remarkably quickly!

Hehe, I have this also. I should have told my doctor ahead of time as the valium wasn't really strong enough and I did have a brief "freak out" in which I NEEDED to move at some point when my strip was being removed and I started hyperventilating. The assistants calmed me down and within 5 minutes I was good to go for the rest. This response can be tamed but you have to stay on top of it.

BlackAmish I know the exact feeling! I've had brief "freak outs" at my dentist. He knows sometimes I just gotta get up, stand up, maybe walk to restroom, take some deep breaths, and then I'm usually fine to continue.

For the hair transplant I went over my panic disorder at length with Hasson/Wong before my surgery and they were very accommodating/understanding. I knew ahead of time that laying face down for strip removal into what is basically a massage or chiropractic table could set off my panic claustrophobic anxiety.

My worst fear (which came no where near happening) was that they would take the strip out, I would suffer a panic attack unable to continue and the grafts would be cut out but not able to be transplanted. However I pretty much knew if I could slide by the strip removal part when I was face-down I would most likely not have panic anxiety with the techs all basically behind me during the bulk of the surgery.

So I was good and looped right at the start knowing the strip removal happens first. Like you I have no experience with valium, so I didn't know if it would work...but I knew Xanax worked beautifully in controlling my rare situational anxiety attacks so that's what I took with Dr. Wong's pre-approval.

I suffered no anxiety throughout the day. Looking back....my surgery at Hasson/Wong was very comfortable, total relaxation...slept thru almost the entire procedure. Zzzzzzzz! :)

• 3 years later...

What else you use to fall asleep during op (IV + twilight sedation apart from valium.

Did you still have to experience the first initial anasthetic shots first or did they put you to sleep straight away.

can you let me know who you used which doctor etc...

thanks

regards

What else you use to fall asleep during op (IV + twilight sedation apart from valium.

As stated I only used a precise dose of my own Xanax.

1.5 mg Xanax one hour before surgery.

And another small dose during lunch of .50 Xanax.

These doses made me sleep/extreme groggy during the entire 9 hours.

However Xanax and dosage reacts to each person differently.

What worked for me, may not for somebody else.

I am not a doctor, but as far as IV, twlight, etc...

I don't think those are practical/safe for procedures like hair transplants that last several hours.

Did you still have to experience the first initial anasthetic shots first or did they put you to sleep straight away.

Xanax for me pretty much takes away every concern...it's like "whatever"

I don't hardly remember the first shots.....again because of the Xanax it was a "whatever".

I was too loopy and unconcerned.

Xanax works great for me during a hair transplant.

One time I was on Xanax on a real bumpy plane ride

and I remember actually thinking "I don't even care if this thing crashes"...lol

That's how much Xanax relaxes me!

can you let me know who you used which doctor etc...

regards

My doctor was Dr. Jerry Wong of Hasson/Wong.

Edited by Shampoo

I have also heard of Ambien being used.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I fell asleep for a few hours during extraction since i was face down. Then i woke up to eat a delicious meal and watched a Rob Schneider movie hahaha.

If your having FUE don't be scared it's simple and painless...now if your getting a STRIP (FUT) cut out of your head....well that would give me real anxiety!

Yes, I can sleep like a baby during a procedure and have been gulity of snoring on more than one occasion.

Ha Ha...I was told the same thing and they also told me that I stopped breathing several times which is symptomatic of sleep apnea. So I got tested and sure enough was diagnosed with it.

Now I sleep with a CPAP machine and sleep soundly and breathing normally...:cool:

Gillenator

I think that depends on the medication used and the level or stage of the sleep.

Gillenator

I dozed off quite a bit during the procedure, especially in the beginning. I tried to watch a movie at the beginning, but I don't think I made it 10 minutes in before I was out of it. As the day went on, I slept less - but I don't remember experiencing any pain.

As for music, Dr. Mohebi and his staff had the radio on, which was nice distracting background noise for the procedure. I also was a complete chatterbox with the technicians when I was awake (sorry ladies).

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56