Bosley Vs Other surgeons?

Hey fellas this is my first post.. I am happy to have found this website. I just learned so much in the past 20 minutes by just browsing..

I just started noticing Im losing more hair and really want to take care of it right away before it gets worst.

-My question is should I go to BOSLEY or consider other transplant surgeons. really am confused as they're are so many different surgeons..

thanks guys

5b32d8791c6bc_Photoon2013-05-10at11_275.jpg.8a6e378de9721de7cf3c00391e430155.jpg

primo.....welcome.

You should look at as many of the interviews in the link below as you can.

Even if there is no way you would go to some of these doctors, you learn so much from these videos.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/physician-interviews.asp

Bosley is generally thought of as the "assembly line" of hair transplants with sometimes questionable surgeons or care. I am sure Bosley might have some good surgeons, but you want to be open to looking at some of the world class surgeons in the interviews above.

Take your time, become a regular on this message board, educate yourself and you will make a better decision. Because the result will be with you the rest of your life.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

DONT GO TO BOSELY! While they may have some good docs its a crapshoot! DONT GO RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!!! You have found the right place... And dont let a location of the top clinics discourage you from going to them.... RESEARCH

You only live once...

At Bosley it is generally all about the money. They will do 3 or 4 sessions in a day.

How would you like to be patient number 4? Will all the staff be switched on?

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

primo, Firstly, forget about Bosley. You can get a much better HT from one of the surgeons recommended on this site for less money.

Secondly, what's your age, and are you on meds?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

primo, Firstly, forget about Bosley. You can get a much better HT from one of the surgeons recommended on this site for less money.

Secondly, what's your age, and are you on meds?

This.

Depending on your age, family history of loss and your willingness to take meds you may not be a candidate for a hair transplant at this time.

For the same price you can go to a world class surgeon like (Shapiro/Hasson+Wong/Rahal). I wish I had checked here before wasting my first 3 procedures at a crappy clinic. Bosley is a joke. It's like going to a random olive garden (or other chain restaurant) and expecting a famous chef to be preparing your food. You want to know the exact surgeon you are getting is the MAN/WOMAN for the job. Bosley is just a name. It's a who knows what you'll get kind of thing.

You've come to the right place to research the best surgeons and hear from actual patients who just want to help each other. Welcome to the community!

Why take the risk?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Is Bosley even doing surgery these days? When people mention "going to Bosley", they are talking about going to the big box store of hair transplants, where anyone might be working behind the counter.

The best way to deal with confusion is to carefully, methodically, and painstakingly research and review the patient results of the best doctors in the business, and then spend the time asking those you are interested in for their professional opinions on what they think is best for you. Only after you have put in the requisite amount of research will you have to ability to judge their opinions as an informed consumer.

This is not a decision to make in haste, it takes alot of time and effort.

First and foremost just wanna say thanks for the feedback really appreciate it!!

I actually had an appointment for next week with bosley but now thanks to you guys I will be canceling. I am 33 and started to notice my hair thinning at 25, so its been 8 years but now I guess It just started this year to come out rapidly.. I looked on the right of this website and found 2 surgeons in Illinois.. I am in chicago.. this is one of the surgeons in Chicago Dr. Vladimir Panine

Don't be surprised if they start calling and spamming you. Their sales ppl are a little aggressive. Also if you don't find a surgeon you love in IL, don't be afraid to travel. I would look at Hair Transplants | Hair Transplant Surgery | Hasson & Wong. If the work doesn't compare then keep looking. Shapiro (http://www.shapiromedical.com) shouldn't be too far from you. He is probably top 3 in the US and my surgeon of choice. MN is a 9hr drive from IL if you are against flying.

Edited by HairKlepto

Go see Dr. Konior he is one of the best and also Dr. Panine is very good. I would schedule consults with both, they will tell you if you are a suitable candidate. Research a lot on this site and after you consult with both docs come back here and ask any questions you have or if you want to bounce their recommendations off the members here. Both of those doctors are top of their game and you would be in great hands with either one

Hairklepto, who are your top 3 in USA?

For me Ron Shapiro, Paul Shapiro, Rahal.

Konior is also pretty good. Including Canada... Victor Hasson who has the best hairlines in the world in my opinion. In Europe I would say Bisanga and Fuerdini.

First and foremost just wanna say thanks for the feedback really appreciate it!!

I actually had an appointment for next week with bosley but now thanks to you guys I will be canceling. I am 33 and started to notice my hair thinning at 25, so its been 8 years but now I guess It just started this year to come out rapidly.. I looked on the right of this website and found 2 surgeons in Illinois.. I am in chicago.. this is one of the surgeons in Chicago Dr. Vladimir Panine

I'm travelling 4000 miles to see Dr Konior. He does the most natural looking hairlines in my opinion - there are some tremendous examples he has posted on here.

If I lived in Illinois I would go to see Konior, Keller and Panine.

Great! Konior, Keller and Panine are here in illinois I could def. schedule a consultation. Now from the 3 is one going to be better than the other, or are they all in the same league. Dr. Panine's office is here in downtown chicago and is closer to me than konior, and keller but would really like to go to the best of the 3.. has anyone had any experience with these 3

- Based on my pictures, how many grafts would I be needing and around how much money is it going to be.. Just wanna have an idea because I heard bosely is around $10,000 im thinking its probably going to be the same with the other surgeons.. thanks fellas

5b32d87bac42b_Photoon2013-05-10at11_303.jpg.e7a85b6ead134d6a7955ebc0e57c0b33.jpg

5b32d87bcaf3f_Photoon2012-12-06at23_583.jpg.17c697776b68f1ed230003a36bdf2ac9.jpg

5b32d87bd8d6a_Photoon2013-05-10at11_302.jpg.fea026f454fa66a11d0c516b35922b08.jpg

5b32d87bf0aaf_Photoon2013-05-10at11_275.jpg.47fd00273a9f2e6f7483562e6524755e.jpg

Great! Konior, Keller and Panine are here in illinois I could def. schedule a consultation. Now from the 3 is one going to be better than the other, or are they all in the same league. Dr. Panine's office is here in downtown chicago and is closer to me than konior, and keller but would really like to go to the best of the 3.. has anyone had any experience with these 3

- Based on my pictures, how many grafts would I be needing and around how much money is it going to be.. Just wanna have an idea because I heard bosely is around $10,000 im thinking its probably going to be the same with the other surgeons.. thanks fellas

All 3 are Coalition members so they are all at the top end of the scale.

Just looking at your pictures. You may be able to regrow a substantial amount of hair by taking Finasteride and using Rogaine Foam. Any of the 3 doctors can write you a Finasteride prescription but remember that you will need to wait 9-12 months to start seeing the results. At the very least they should rapidly slow down the rate of hair loss.

If you have a transplant at the front you obviously don't want the hair in the middle and back to disappear rapidly in 5-10 years. You will look silly or have to get another transplant.

If you kept your hairline where it is and added density I think $10-12,000 is the ballpark figure (2,000-2,500 grafts). But my advice is to get on the medications for at least 9 months and during that time visit the doctors and keep researching.

All 3 are Coalition members so they are all at the top end of the scale.

Just looking at your pictures. You may be able to regrow a substantial amount of hair by taking Finasteride and using Rogaine Foam. Any of the 3 doctors can write you a Finasteride prescription but remember that you will need to wait 9-12 months to start seeing the results. At the very least they should rapidly slow down the rate of hair loss.

If you have a transplant at the front you obviously don't want the hair in the middle and back to disappear rapidly in 5-10 years. You will look silly or have to get another transplant.

If you kept your hairline where it is and added density I think $10-12,000 is the ballpark figure (2,000-2,500 grafts). But my advice is to get on the medications for at least 9 months and during that time visit the doctors and keep researching.

thank you so much very informative.. wow cant believe i need 2000 grafts.. I wish I couldve found this website sooner. $12,000 is alot, are they're financing options available with these other surgeons....

So with Finasteride I can really grow some of my hair back, never knew anything like that existed but you said I might have to wait 9 months to start seeing results and thats the thing what about if it doesnt work I would've have lost 9 months and more hair.

thank you so much very informative.. wow cant believe i need 2000 grafts.. I wish I couldve found this website sooner. $12,000 is alot, are they're financing options available with these other surgeons....

So with Finasteride I can really grow some of my hair back, never knew anything like that existed but you said I might have to wait 9 months to start seeing results and thats the thing what about if it doesnt work I would've have lost 9 months and more hair.

Just a guesstimate on the grafts but I think you would need close to that number for a meaingful result.

It's best that you do some research on finasteride. There are some potential side effects like ED, but in general only 2% of people get them . Some people on here will scare you off using it. Have a read of some of the links at the top of the page or google 'propecia before and after'.

If the meds don't work for you you may have to think about delaying a HT or having a more conservative procedure and saving money to have another procedure later on.

You could always go to Glenn Charles in Florida. I think he is running a special for 3 a graft. Paul Shapiro is 5 a graft and same for Hasson/Wong. Id say Shapiro or Hasson are better anyway for less than the 6 a graft.

Propecia can cause permanent ED. Some say infertility but the ED is very common.

Primo,

You have some excellent choices in IL! I would HIGHLY recommend Coalition physicians Dr. Konior, Dr. Keller, and Dr. Panine.

Good luck! Keep us updated, and feel free to ask any additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Propecia can cause permanent ED. Some say infertility but the ED is very common.

I would not agree that ED is very common, but anyway here is the FDA advice on changes to the labelling:

Questions and Answers: Finasteride Label Changes

I would not agree that ED is very common, but anyway here is the FDA advice on changes to the labelling:

Questions and Answers: Finasteride Label Changes

Well it's way more common than what is reported in the clinical trials.. I think they say like 2% of people, but that is total bull. They also don't mention that is can be permanent. I personally like having sex more than I like having hair but understand why people take it. I've taken it in the past and while it didn't give me ED, it was killing my sex drive. Lots of horror stories about this drug.