Why Doctors Hasson and Wong do not do FUE?

shiny8899

As it is clear from the title, I always wonder why they do not do that. I met Doctor Wong just few months ago in London and I had a consultation with him. He said that he does only the strip surgery and FUE is not good for covering a large area. If they do FUE I will just do my implant with them without a second thought. but unfortunately they do not do it and i do not know why???????????

Sounds similar to Dr. Konior's explanation who is in the same class and gets the same kind of results. I know the FUT vs FUE can be a polarizing debate but Dr. K said he didn't have the coverage and either way you have scars if you should ever chose to shave it all off. He summed it up by saying, "if there's any consideration of a shaved hairstyle in your future, do not get a hair transplant of any kind."

Sam Spade

View my HT photo album

Very satisfied customer of Dr. Konior, Chicago

FUT, 3950 grafts, June 2012

Message me if you have any questions regarding my experience or Dr. K.

Sounds similar to Dr. Konior's explanation who is in the same class and gets the same kind of results. I know the FUT vs FUE can be a polarizing debate but Dr. K said he didn't have the coverage and either way you have scars if you should ever chose to shave it all off. He summed it up by saying, "if there's any consideration of a shaved hairstyle in your future, do not get a hair transplant of any kind."

I'm sorry but if Dr. Konior actually said that I would be terribly disappointed. That is a blanket statement with the intention of mitigating or totally omitting the drawbacks that emanate from FUT. It's not just about the kind of scar. FUT changes the the direction/flow of the donor area, FUT eliminates the smooth transition of hair caliber and grouping gradation, FUT can often cause severe nerve damage that can result in permanent numbness etc, not to mention the often misaligned and mis-angled hair growing from the trico closure. I love Dr. Konior's work and H&W but if I know the potential drawbacks behind FUT than Dr. Konior definitely should know. It is very misleading to simply claim "it's just a different kind of scar" when there are a myriad of differences between the two methods.

Oh "don't get a HT of any kind should you want a shaved hairstyle" that is also false as most FUE patients can shave down to a grade 1 very easily with no discernible cosmetic effect.

I can't speak for why Hasson and Wong do not perform FUE but I know they showed some interest in it when they witnessed Dr Lorenzo perform FUE at their clinic(or maybe they visited his, I'm not 100% sure).

"if there's any consideration of a shaved hairstyle in your future, do not get a hair transplant of any kind."

This does not represent my exerience whatsover and I highly disagree unless there are some particular characteristics pertaining to you that don't apply broadly

My head is covered with tiny blank spaces from FUE and none of them present any obstacle for me to buzz to grade zero

In contrast, my strip scars present a major obstacle, and I hate having to explain to people why I have them

I'm sorry but if Dr. Konior actually said that I would be terribly disappointed. That is a blanket statement with the intention of mitigating or totally omitting the drawbacks that emanate from FUT. It's not just about the kind of scar. FUT changes the the direction/flow of the donor area, FUT eliminates the smooth transition of hair caliber and grouping gradation, FUT can often cause severe nerve damage that can result in permanent numbness etc, not to mention the often misaligned and mis-angled hair growing from the trico closure. I love Dr. Konior's work and H&W but if I know the potential drawbacks behind FUT than Dr. Konior definitely should know. It is very misleading to simply claim "it's just a different kind of scar" when there are a myriad of differences between the two methods.

Oh "don't get a HT of any kind should you want a shaved hairstyle" that is also false as most FUE patients can shave down to a grade 1 very easily with no discernible cosmetic effect.

I can't speak for why Hasson and Wong do not perform FUE but I know they showed some interest in it when they witnessed Dr Lorenzo perform FUE at their clinic(or maybe they visited his, I'm not 100% sure).

Our discussion was much more extensive than a mere statement, but I was paraphrasing, and he was talking about a shaved head. If someone wants to shave their head after a transplant, by all means go for it. I'm not sure why. And if FUE is their answer, go for it. His point being that a shaved head will still reveal FUE scarring and to just go with a shaved head rather than spend thousands for a hair transplant. For me, I had not seen FUE results that convinced me to not go with Dr. Konior, and I scoured the internet for years for information.

Additionally, as a Konior patient I have not experienced any of those side effects with the FUT he provided me, (numbness, misaligned hair direction). I shaved the side of my head down to a 1 without any reveal of a strip scar, I can't find it even when I look for it. I know other doctors don't necessarily have that kind of scar success rate that I've seen on this forum, but that seems to pair with a subpar surgeon.

I know you're a big evangelist of FUE on here, which is great since you want positive results for everyone on here. But I can only speak to the great results with my hairline design, yield and faint scar from the FUT I received from Dr. Konior.

Sam Spade

View my HT photo album

This does not represent my exerience whatsover and I highly disagree unless there are some particular characteristics pertaining to you that don't apply broadly

My head is covered with tiny blank spaces from FUE and none of them present any obstacle for me to buzz to grade zero

In contrast, my strip scars present a major obstacle, and I hate having to explain to people why I have them

Just to confirm, you've since shaved your head after your FUT and FUE transplants?

Sam Spade

View my HT photo album

Our discussion was much more extensive than a mere statement, but I was paraphrasing, and he was talking about a shaved head. If someone wants to shave their head after a transplant, by all means go for it. I'm not sure why. And if FUE is their answer, go for it. His point being that a shaved head will still reveal FUE scarring and to just go with a shaved head rather than spend thousands for a hair transplant. For me, I had not seen FUE results that convinced me to not go with Dr. Konior, and I scoured the internet for years for information.

Additionally, as a Konior patient I have not experienced any of those side effects with the FUT he provided me, (numbness, misaligned hair direction). I shaved the side of my head down to a 1 without any reveal of a strip scar, I can't find it even when I look for it. I know other doctors don't necessarily have that kind of scar success rate that I've seen on this forum, but that seems to pair with a subpar surgeon.

I know you're a big evangelist of FUE on here, which is great since you want positive results for everyone on here. But I can only speak to the great results with my hairline design, yield and faint scar from the FUT I received from Dr. Konior.

I can understand that but if you were paraphrasing, please state that you were paraphrasing because it can be confusing not only to me, but to the many many forum members and guests who will take what a Doctor says quite seriously. The way you said it also made it sound like Konior does not perform FUE because he doesn't get the coverage AND either way you will get a scar. It made it sound like the scar was the only difference.

Those side effects are potential ones that are not inherent with FUE. If you did not sustain those side effects, that is awesome, but alot of FUT patients do and not only are they unforeseeable, they are also irreparable to a great extent. Those potential side effects can occur no matter who the surgeon is.

I admit Konior is one of the best FUT surgeons in the world, quickly surpassing the likes of Rahal and others in my opinion, but that does not make him infallible as no doctor is infallible.

H and W does not do it IMO because their niche is HUGE cases. I don't care what anyone says, I have challenged this before, but show me 10 5,000 graft cases in one to two days from an FUE surgeon and I will buy you a happy meal.

Each ELITE TOP doctor has their own niche. (I do not feel that every recommended doctor fits this category). H and W's niche happen to be that they are not only great at what they do, but have proven over and over that they can do it on a very large scale. I am sure that their team has SOOOOOOOO much to do with this. Because of this, the people who what a big bang at one time contact them. They do not need to do FUE to have a very good business and make a lot of people very happy.

Now, I know that doctors like H and W and probably Dr. K do continuing education, and some of it will pertain to the FUE. I feel when doctors are able to do FUE at the quality of H and W and Dr. K,and are able to pull the big amount of grafts and make a good results, then they will migrate to FUE. I feel that the bottom line is that they don't have to because of the results they are putting out compared to the majority of FUE surgeons. There are really only small hand full that can rival a to FUT surgeon IMO and when you get into bigger cases, there are pretty much none.

Keep in mind also that a non virgin FUR head has a lot of scar tissue that they are working with. Does a FUE head look better than a FUT head what shave down to a 2 or lower? Usually, yes. If I had the right head and very high on the NW scale and planned on possibly going with a short crop and smp, I would stick to FUE as well, but, if I wanted a hair transplant in the numbers of 3,500 or over, and wanted to actually comb my hair, I would personally stick to FUT.

I went with FUT because my head looks like a rotting pumpkin, and I don't plan on shaving it. If I do, the scar will be the least of my worries.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I think for the most part whether it is FUT or FUE, transplanted areas don't generally look that great on a close cut. (Grade 1 -3)

Of course there are exceptions (dark skinned / asians seem to fair well).

I think if you want a shaved look you have to design the transplant to cater for it, e.g.more even denisty and less requirement to dense pack at the front. But if you change your mind and want to grow it out it may look thin. You can't always have it both ways.

Lets say SamSpade shaved all his hair off and the scar could still not be seen. The chances are it could still look quite odd even without the scar.

So I guess my point is that you have to design for a shaved look or grown out look - one or the other but not both.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I think for the most part whether it is FUT or FUE, transplanted areas don't generally look that great on a close cut. (Grade 1 -3)

Lets say SamSpade shaved all his hair off and the scar could still not be seen. The chances are it could still look quite odd even without the scar.

So I guess my point is that you have to design for a shaved look or grown out look - one or the other but not both.

Ha, well said. I wasn't meant for the shaved look, scar or no scar. Yeah, it's a good overall point too, men who expect any hair transplant to give them their hair and endless options for legnths and style may have expectations that outweigh their possibilities.

Sam Spade

View my HT photo album

H and W does not do it IMO because their niche is HUGE cases. I don't care what anyone says, I have challenged this before, but show me 10 5,000 graft cases in one to two days from an FUE surgeon and I will buy you a happy meal.

Each ELITE TOP doctor has their own niche. (I do not feel that every recommended doctor fits this category). H and W's niche happen to be that they are not only great at what they do, but have proven over and over that they can do it on a very large scale. I am sure that their team has SOOOOOOOO much to do with this. Because of this, the people who what a big bang at one time contact them. They do not need to do FUE to have a very good business and make a lot of people very happy.

Now, I know that doctors like H and W and probably Dr. K do continuing education, and some of it will pertain to the FUE. I feel when doctors are able to do FUE at the quality of H and W and Dr. K,and are able to pull the big amount of grafts and make a good results, then they will migrate to FUE. I feel that the bottom line is that they don't have to because of the results they are putting out compared to the majority of FUE surgeons. There are really only small hand full that can rival a to FUT surgeon IMO and when you get into bigger cases, there are pretty much none.

Keep in mind also that a non virgin FUR head has a lot of scar tissue that they are working with. Does a FUE head look better than a FUT head what shave down to a 2 or lower? Usually, yes. If I had the right head and very high on the NW scale and planned on possibly going with a short crop and smp, I would stick to FUE as well, but, if I wanted a hair transplant in the numbers of 3,500 or over, and wanted to actually comb my hair, I would personally stick to FUT.

I went with FUT because my head looks like a rotting pumpkin, and I don't plan on shaving it. If I do, the scar will be the least of my worries.

Fair answer! If Konior was to have given that it have totally been acceptable and I would not have even replied because it is true and honest. I can't tell a surgeon he should perform FUE but I can call out a surgeon when he just says the only difference between the methods is this scarring. Turns out Samspade was paraphrasing so it might not be Koniors entire sentiment.

Agreed, and the same reasons why I went with FUT. I sensed that if Konior's and H&W's results came with regular complaints and side effects, they would be compelled to change their method. But their continued practice reflect positive results.

And for me personally, I would actually elect for a numb scalp in the donor zone if it mean I'd have these results.

Sam Spade

View my HT photo album

Agreed, and the same reasons why I went with FUT. I sensed that if Konior's and H&W's results came with regular complaints and side effects, they would be compelled to change their method. But their continued practice reflect positive results.

And for me personally, I would actually elect for a numb scalp in the donor zone if it mean I'd have these results.

That is your prerogative and that's totally cool, no one can make you change your mind. But some would elect for the procedure that gets results without those drawbacks.

That is your prerogative and that's totally cool, no one can make you change your mind. But some would elect for the procedure that gets results without those drawbacks.

Indeed, it's best to know all of the facts, pros and cons of both methods.

Sam Spade

View my HT photo album

I'm somewhat confused by the context of this thread only in that the OP asked the question, "Why Doctors Hasson and Wong do not do FUE?" only to say that Dr. Wong answered this very question when the OP met him only a few months ago.

It's simple really, and Spanker touched on it in his post. FUE does not allow us to do what we do. Big sessions, dense packing and dramatic transformations. A few big FUE cases here and there does not mean that FUE offers anywhere near the level of improvement that FUT offers. We do what we do every day, not just occasionally as represented by results I may post on the forums. There simply is no contest. If one does not wish to have a linear scar then there are several options out there.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

some would elect for the procedure that gets results without those drawbacks.

But do they?

Do FUE surgeons get the excellent full coverage mega-session

results that Hasson/Wong get on a routine basis?

And isn't FUE a lot more expensive?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

But do they?

Do FUE surgeons get the excellent full coverage mega-session

results that Hasson/Wong get on a routine basis?

And isn't FUE a lot more expensive?

They do champ. From the surgeons who have perfected their craft and are daring enough. I can totally respect Joe's reply, Hasson and Wong are great at what they do and big megasessions are their 'thing'. Surgeons like Bisanga, Lorenzo, Feriduni, Hakan, Erdogan, Umar, De Reys all work on higher norwoods via FUE and get great results, often with fewer grafts because they can target multi-hair grafts for more density.

As recent as last year, many in the field were saying fue is only good for minor nw1 or 2 recession. Then some norwood 3 results came out and it was 'oh but any higher and you have to go fut' then Lorenzo emerged and it was proven that FUE can trear anything upto a norwood 5 and 6. See my FUE norwood 1 to 6 thread for proof. Those results were not hard to come by. Lets not forget that fut clinics outnumber fue clinics by a vast number as it has been around longer so of course there are going to be more cases of higher norwoods being restored via fut. But there are select surgeons out there pushing the envelope of FUE daily. If i aaid fue could treat a nw6 even 12 months ago, i would have been thrown in the nuthouse. But there have been cases of nw6s being restored via fue with grafts that are not outside of average donor density.

Big sessions, dense packing and dramatic transformations. A few big FUE cases here and there does not mean that FUE offers anywhere near the level of improvement that FUT offers. We do what we do every day, not just occasionally as represented by results I may post on the forums. There simply is no contest.

My vote is for dramatic transformations. Well said.

Sam Spade

View my HT photo album

Most people who have been on the ht scene for a long time will tell you fue doesn't give you as good a growth and yield as fut and you'll find most fue surgeons will say the same.

I'm also confused by the title of this thread when you know the answer I assume you're just thinking out loud and hoping one day h a w will go down the fue route. I know Dr Wong was looking into doing a bit of fue but given the fact nothing happened will probably mean there wasn't much point in adding it to their surgery options after thinking it through. They're in the big change life changing business which is what they did for me.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Most people who have been on the ht scene for a long time will tell you fue doesn't give you as good a growth and yield as fut and you'll find most fue surgeons will say the same.

I'm also confused by the title of this thread when you know the answer I assume you're just thinking out loud and hoping one day h a w will go down the fue route. I know Dr Wong was looking into doing a bit of fue but given the fact nothing happened will probably mean there wasn't much point in adding it to their surgery options after thinking it through. They're in the big change life changing business which is what they did for me.

I dont doubt fut gives better yield but i think if you compare a top fue surgeon like Lorenzo to a top fut surgeon the yield difference would be minor.

I dont doubt fut gives better yield but i think if you compare a top fue surgeon

like Lorenzo to a top fut surgeon the yield difference would be minor.

what would the cost difference be?

and how long would the FUE session be vs FUT session for say 6000 grafts?

Cost would depend on surgeon. Hakan charges 2.5euro per graft while Lorenzo charges a staggered rate(6 euro up to 1000 grafts then 4 euro after that, something along those lines). No doubt fue is more expensive in general. To obtain 6000 fue grafts you would need 2 sessions.

FUE in the right hands can provide FUT-esque yield. That myth has been expelled. I shave down regulary to 1mm (can go unguarded too) with no visible signs of any surgery after 3000 FUE. Its exactly the reason i went it as i like the option of keeping short.

I dont know what was said between Dr and patient and if that quote is out of context. However if its not out of context the Dr is wrong and misleading in my opinion.

But roughly.....just a ballpark:

If 6000 FUT grafts at Hasson/Wong is $19K

What would 6000 FUE grafts be at a top FUE clinic?

But roughly.....just a ballpark:

If 6000 FUT grafts at Hasson/Wong is $19K

What would 6000 FUE grafts be at a top FUE clinic?

24,000euro if lorenzo charges 6 euro up ti 1000 grafts and 4 euro after that.