Was it a mistake to get FUT?

If it makes you feel better champ, I had my procedure done in a first world country and the results were very well under par.

Have you had a procedure Mickey85? I understand you are big into FUE

Did you have FUT at some stage? With whom did you have it?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read many rationalizatons from both posters and doctors about the appropriateness of FUT over FUE, but I still do not understand why anyone who actually understood the differences would still choose FUT. Ever.

It's saddening to read about people who underwent a FUT and did not fully understand the implications, not just because they didn't know any better but also because in most cases their doctor perpetuated the misunderstanding.

I still do not understand why anyone who actually understood the differences would still choose FUT. Ever.

Because far more often than not, with a good doctor, wonderful results can be achieved and contrary to recent myths advanced Norwoods are GENERALLY not good candidates for FUE.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I've read many rationalizatons from both posters and doctors about the appropriateness of FUT over FUE, but I still do not understand why anyone who actually understood the differences would still choose FUT. Ever.

It's saddening to read about people who underwent a FUT and did not fully understand the implications, not just because they didn't know any better but also because in most cases their doctor perpetuated the misunderstanding.

Do you really want to start another tired strip vs. fue debate? Yes fue has come to serve a larger percent of the transplant community, and that is a great thing. Anytime a less invasive procedure advances it is a good thing. However, to say that currently, without consistent donor regeneration, no on should ever choose strip is a false statement.

For patients with good laxity, lower donor density, and greater current or future loss, strip is still the best option until donor regeneration/doubling is a reality. I hope you can understand that.

Do you really want to start another tired strip vs. fue debate?

For patients with good laxity, lower donor density, and greater current or future loss, strip is still the best option.

Wow, hard to reconcile those statements but I think I understand.

Anyway, yes, it was a mistake, but you'll do your best to get your dignity. Who knows, just a couple more strips and you'll be laughing??

And it doesn't matter if your scalp stretches all the way to Alaska, it is no excuse for an ear-to-ear scar that you will wear for long enough to walk to Alaska and back a lifetime.

There is no such thing as a good strip scar.

Every time you buy into strip, you keep the strip industry breathing....and barking.

And so how did they get you? What did they sell on?

• I've seen shit FUT scars

• I've seen shit FUE scars

• I've seen great FUT scars

• I've seen great FUE scars

Did you have strip by any chance?

You can write words 'hair transplant scar' with a ball point pen or a giant magic marker.

I've had FUE, and I'm grateful how it has advanced in recent years. I am baffled though how some people have formed the opinion that FUT is no longer a viable/ethical/moral/good (insert many other words here) option.

In my opinion, FUT is a great option for those in need of the extra grafts. Everyone needs to make the best use of their donor, so for some to tackle it at some point with FUT makes perfect sense to me.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

Strip is wonderful. It is morally clean, certified and I would nominate it for sainthood, or at least a knighthood. Sir Strip Stripped, imagine that.

Technically and economically strip is far superior to FUE, there is no doubt, but the price is on display everywhere and anywhere you wish to look.

To be honest, I can't believe, in 2013, a balding man would want to LIMIT his future options. I would think it would be better to INCREASE his options, that's all.

Anyway, this guy got stooged, like me. No doubt hll be told just like me, to ' relax, grow it out, consider one more ' etc., etc.,

Too bad. Of course had he had FUE it would not be an issue. Too bad he listened to the rep.

Strip is wonderful. It is morally clean, certified and I would nominate it for sainthood, or at least a knighthood. Sir Strip Stripped, imagine that.

Technically and economically strip is far superior to FUE, there is no doubt, but the price is on display everywhere and anywhere you wish to look.

To be honest, I can't believe, in 2013, a balding man would want to LIMIT his future options. I would think it would be better to INCREASE his options, that's all.

Anyway, this guy got stooged, like me. No doubt hll be told just like me, to ' relax, grow it out, consider one more ' etc., etc.,

Too bad. Of course had he had FUE it would not be an issue. Too bad he listened to the rep.

What a well thought through response.

You must have a very blunt axe that requires significant attention from a grindstone.

Because far more often than not, with a good doctor, wonderful results can be achieved

I've seen many FUT scars from highly recommended doctors on this site that make me cringe, even the best surgeons have limited control on how well the closure of such a large incision will ultimately turn out. I agree wonderful results can be achieved with either, but FUT is a huge unnecessary risk in my opinion.

contrary to recent myths advanced Norwoods are GENERALLY not good candidates for FUE.

Honestly, advanced norwoods are generally not good candidates for hair transpants. Also, it is my opinion that if you need so many of your grafts that FUT is necessary, you shouldn't do it. If you HAVE to cut out ALL the grafts from a section of your head to obtain the number of grafts you need, and FUE couldn't provide that without looking unnatural, you've gone too far. A large linear scar on the back of your head also does not look natural... yes, you might be one of the lucky few that has a nice scar, or you could have a result like the OP and so many others. Risk vs reward.

However, to say that currently, without consistent donor regeneration, no on should ever choose strip is a false statement.

If you draw a Venn Diagram of what FUE and FUT can accomplish, the portion of the FUT circle that is not overlapped by FUE would be very very small. And in that sliver where the circles did not overlap, I would call that the "a HT is not worth it" category. Again, just my opinion... but this is why I don't understand.

For patients with good laxity, lower donor density, and greater current or future loss, strip is still the best option until donor regeneration/doubling is a reality. I hope you can understand that.

I would advise someone with good laxity, lower donor density, and greater current or future loss, to... still have FUE done. Maybe with less grafts, or be more strategic with the placing of transplanted hair. But what looks more unnatural, donor areas that might appear thin (probably no less thin the the recipient area), or a long linear scar that creates a noticeable and unnatural rift? The hair density on the entire scar is 0.

• I've seen shit FUT scars

• I've seen shit FUE scars

• I've seen great FUT scars

• I've seen great FUE scars

I think the worst FUE scarring I've ever seen still makes the typical FUT scar look bad... the human eye picks up long straight lines like a 100x easier than small dots. The thing with FUE is, even if your hair is short enough and someone manages to even see white dots, they will likely think absolutely nothing of it. Whereas with a FUT scar, "Wow what happened to him??"

I would not say that your procedure was a failure especially comparing your pre-op pics to the 12 month mark and then to the current pics.

It's so hard to comment or say why your strip scar came out wider than expected. Was the strip taken too wide for your level of laxity? Was the closure done superficially? Does it have to do with physiology? There are many variables in the equation.

Yet if we were to ask others who had FUHT with outstanding yields and thin strip scars, they often state that strip is better than FUE. IMHO, they both have a place and they both offer different benefits as well as drawbacks.

I also agree that FUE patients for the most part are not able to "shave off" their scalps without some scarring showing so they choose to "buzz down" to their appropriate levels of length.

I do believe that with more time passing that more docs will practice FUE and FUE will get better and better as far as the overall yields go.

But that's not to say that FUHT is a mistake.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...

Just look at my blog/results from my two FUT procedures - I would never have been able to afford a total of around 3,300 total grafts with FUE (the price ranges from 50% more to almost double price per graft over FUT). My yield and density was great, and all I have to do now is get a small, relatively inexpensive (500-800 graft) FUE procedure to fill in my thin/narrow scar.

If you wanna shave your head down or if you have bad scalp laxity, don't get FUT - unless, of course, you can just hold off on shaving down for a year or so until you can get the FUE procedure to fill in the scar. It's not that big a deal.

Overall I'm very happy with my results so far - I will probably get one more good-sized FUT procedure, and then finally get the small FUE procedure to fill in the scar and neatly cap off the whole process (and possibly get small FUE procedures later if I need touch-ups done).

I can see why some people hate FUT - it just isn't for everyone. I realize I was just one of the luckier ones in that respect, because I healed/responded so well to it and because it's is so economical. Realize, however, that this debate does have an expiration date, thankfully - as soon as they crank out the hair replication/cloning tech we've all been salivating over for a decade now.

But yeah, to the OP: Hit up a high-end doc like Dr. Charles or whoever, save some cash and, if necessary, pull a line of credit via Care Credit or a personal loan from your bank that you can afford the payments on (trust me, the annoyance of paying some interest is nothing compared to the comfort and happiness you will derive as you watch your hair come back)... And I say go for FUE this time. Make the main focus filling in the FUT scar just to get that monkey off your back for good, and secondly, rebuilding your hairline and frontal area to frame your face.

One major question though: Is your thinning after the HT due to the transplanted hair not taking? Or due to old dying native hair falling out? If it's the former, just try and fill in the scar, don't waste more grafts on the front - it would be futile, right? If it's the latter (and it looks like this is the case), then you're in the same boat I was after my first procedure; you're seeing the true, permanent state of your hair as it is now, with only the grafts, and without the falsehood of the dying native hairs that would soon betray you anyway - and this is actually better because you know what you're dealing with. Just thicken that area up and you're golden!

Best of luck!

I've seen many FUT scars from highly recommended doctors on this site that make me cringe, even the best surgeons have limited control on how well the closure of such a large incision will ultimately turn out. I agree wonderful results can be achieved with either, but FUT is a huge unnecessary risk in my opinion.

Honestly, advanced norwoods are generally not good candidates for hair transpants. Also, it is my opinion that if you need so many of your grafts that FUT is necessary, you shouldn't do it. If you HAVE to cut out ALL the grafts from a section of your head to obtain the number of grafts you need, and FUE couldn't provide that without looking unnatural, you've gone too far. A large linear scar on the back of your head also does not look natural... yes, you might be one of the lucky few that has a nice scar, or you could have a result like the OP and so many others. Risk vs reward.

Wow.... I agree with this post totally.

I've posted this before. I had something like 2500 grafts FUT from a NYC doctor two years ago and my girlfriend of a year had no idea I had anything done. Even when I told her she had to really dig in my hair to find the scar. I don't think I could get nearly the number of grafts over my lifetime FUE as I'll be able to get FUT.

Have anyone ever seen a Rahal patient, for example, say FUT was the worst decision they've ever made?

Edited by gobble

Konior and Hasson patients don't say it either. They go on to lead happier lives.

Given the high costs of FUE with a decent doctor and the lower yields reported when I had my procedures, was among one of the best decisions ever in my life - literally transformed me and I threw away most of my hats and enhanced my career.

To say FUT patients built this forum would also be an understatement as well, which why I get a little upset over FUT bashing.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

There was a respected poster here (I can't remember who it was, but I believed him when he said it) that once talked to Dr. Lorenzo who said that some patients are better suited for FUT. I know that many users won't take the word of just any poster, but surely the King of FUE knows what he was talking about.

There are many characteristics on a scalp that make may make one procedure better that the other in terms of the quality and quantity of the grafts that can be extracted and there is a time and place for both. In recent years, the time and place for FUE has grown but has in no way totally replaced strip. I know that this has been said many times and rebutted by many people, but as someone once said, the truth is the truth whether everyone believes or and the truth is the truth even if no one does.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

there is a time and place for both.

, the time and place for FUE has grown

the truth is the truth ....

There is a time an place for both?

Well, well, What wisdom!

You can give me your money anytime you like.

The time is when you are ready to go down the local HT clinic and pay for it.

So anytime people wanna pay, there is room for their money.

The truth is the truth?

Yes, and so....tell me if this is the truth?

They told us FUE was " hype"

So Dr. Lorenzo said strip is good? Of course? Why wouldn't he? Doctors don't give a damn about the strip vs FUE debate. We are on our own. They live on another planet to us. No one at the office is gonna scare them by saying, "Hey, buddy what is with HT scar?"

FUE docs are just as cavalier as the strip guys, even more so in many cases.

If you wanna pedal strip you have to hit FUE where it really hurts.

Yield!! Why don't you guys ever get down to business and really start measuring the thickness and hair counts of these FUE guys. You might kick their butts right outta town! But, no, you wont, because "There is a place for both FUE and strip" side by side, like old friends. What a croc!!!

Smoking was recommended for pregnant mothers in the 1920s.

In the early 1930s you can easily imagine how they said it, "Well it is case by case, up to you, everyone is different, bla bla..

There is a time an place for both?

Well, well, What wisdom!

You can give me your money anytime you like.

The time is when you are ready to go down the local HT clinic and pay for it.

So anytime people wanna pay, there is room for their money.

The truth is the truth?

Yes, and so....tell me if this is the truth?

They told us FUE was " hype"

So Dr. Lorenzo said strip is good? Of course? Why wouldn't he? Doctors don't give a damn about the strip vs FUE debate. We are on our own. They live on another planet to us. No one at the office is gonna scare them by saying, "Hey, buddy what is with HT scar?"

FUE docs are just as cavalier as the strip guys, even more so in many cases.

If you wanna pedal strip you have to hit FUE where it really hurts.

Yield!! Why don't you guys ever get down to business and really start measuring the thickness and hair counts of these FUE guys. You might kick their butts right outta town! But, no, you wont, because "There is a place for both FUE and strip" side by side, like old friends. What a croc!!!

Smoking was recommended for pregnant mothers in the 1920s.

In the early 1930s you can easily imagine how they said it, "Well it is case by case, up to you, everyone is different, bla bla..

Could not agree more.

There was a respected poster here (I can't remember who it was, but I believed him when he said it) that once talked to Dr. Lorenzo who said that some patients are better suited for FUT. I know that many users won't take the word of just any poster, but surely the King of FUE knows what he was talking about.

Sorry Spanker, but Lorenzo's own profile on this very site claims that anyone who is a candidate for strip, is a candidate for FUE.

Dr. Lorenzo feels strongly that today's FUE hair transplant technique in the right hands can achieve the same coverage and number of grafts that follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS) can achieve with reduced scarring to the donor area. In Dr. Lorenzo's opinion and experience, anyone who is a candidate for FUT via strip harvesting is also a candidate for follicular unit extraction.

Jos Lorenzo MD*Hair Transplant Surgeon in*Manchester, England,*United Kingdom

If Lorenzo felt that some patients were better suited for strip, then why does he not practice strip? His profile claims that FUE can provide the same coverage and the same number of grafts as strip in the right hands. So why would someone be more suitable for strip?

Of course, my sentiments are not identical on the issue as Lorenzo's. But I do believe he thinks strip is obsolete going by his sited profile.