Was it a mistake to get FUT?

Take in consideration donor quality

Some patients might experience retrograde alopecia where the sides and back are diffused. This leads to FUT being more optimal, grabbing the grafts from the top region of the safe zone opposed to FUE all over, which would give a diffused result

FUE, and FUT both have a purpose. Neither is better then the other in that regard. All though the quality of grafts in FUT has a better lively hood then FUE. But guess what FUE is more convenient for small operations, and lunch time procedures.

Both have their place

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S: I don't think it was a mistake, for those who did it. I'm just saying how I feel it now that there is a FUE option. Even so, I don't think anyone who did FUSS with good results should feel bad about it. Some of the top doctors are getting stellar results via FUSS.

There is a time an place for both?

Well, well, What wisdom!

You can give me your money anytime you like.

The time is when you are ready to go down the local HT clinic and pay for it.

So anytime people wanna pay, there is room for their money.

The truth is the truth?

Yes, and so....tell me if this is the truth?

They told us FUE was " hype"

So Dr. Lorenzo said strip is good? Of course? Why wouldn't he? Doctors don't give a damn about the strip vs FUE debate. We are on our own. They live on another planet to us. No one at the office is gonna scare them by saying, "Hey, buddy what is with HT scar?"

FUE docs are just as cavalier as the strip guys, even more so in many cases.

If you wanna pedal strip you have to hit FUE where it really hurts.

Yield!! Why don't you guys ever get down to business and really start measuring the thickness and hair counts of these FUE guys. You might kick their butts right outta town! But, no, you wont, because "There is a place for both FUE and strip" side by side, like old friends. What a croc!!!

Smoking was recommended for pregnant mothers in the 1920s.

In the early 1930s you can easily imagine how they said it, "Well it is case by case, up to you, everyone is different, bla bla..

I am really having trouble following your rambling posts, but I can't say I would be upset if fue or a less invasive procedure rendered strip obsolete, but we are not there yet.

However, when you say yield is where strip could hit fue where it hurts is contradictory to your own idea that fue myths have been dismissed. Because the yield myth has been dismissed, the real reason why strip is still the better option for some patients in donor availability, for some people (like me) the only way to achieve enough grafts is from strip. For patients with low density, good laxity and advanced loss strip is still the best option, and if you can't accept that then you can't see past your own experience.

Sorry Spanker, but Lorenzo's own profile on this very site claims that anyone who is a candidate for strip, is a candidate for FUE.

Dr. Lorenzo feels strongly that today's FUE hair transplant technique in the right hands can achieve the same coverage and number of grafts that follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS) can achieve with reduced scarring to the donor area. In Dr. Lorenzo's opinion and experience, anyone who is a candidate for FUT via strip harvesting is also a candidate for follicular unit extraction.

Jos Lorenzo MD*Hair Transplant Surgeon in*Manchester, England,*United Kingdom

If Lorenzo felt that some patients were better suited for strip, then why does he not practice strip? His profile claims that FUE can provide the same coverage and the same number of grafts as strip in the right hands. So why would someone be more suitable for strip?

Of course, my sentiments are not identical on the issue as Lorenzo's. But I do believe he thinks strip is obsolete going by his sited profile.

I would love to have a consult with him so he could tell me I am/was a suitable fue candidate...

I would love to have a consult with him so he could tell me I am/was a suitable fue candidate...

Would be interesting. As I said, those are his sentiments, in print, not necessarily mine hehe.

1) trouble following your rambling posts,

2) yield myth has been dismissed,

3) .real reason why strip is.. better (is) donor availability

4)if you can't accept that then you can't see past your own experience.

1) lol...point form to lessen ramble effect

2) Has it?

I'm not sure about that. What are the odds? Scar 5 thinks strip grafts do much better on average.

3) This is a radical idea for some of us, but I believe that the smart balding man of 2014 thinks better than the corresponding one of 2004.

2014 man - Give me 4000FUE grafts, propecia, and SMP and God help me.

2004 man - Give me 7000strip grafts, propecia, n ear-to-ear strip scar and God help me.

4) Can any of us? Nice rhetoric though.

Scar 5 thinks strip grafts do much better on average.

Curious, why are you referring to yourself in the 3rd person? Since21 thinks this odd.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Hey so I was thinking (and this debate directly applies to my thoughts)... I want to go for one final round to tie off my loose ends for the foreseeable future, probably about 1,300-1,600 grafts. This will be to fill in my temples a little, drop 300 or so into my crown to rebuild the spiral, and drop a few hundred into my FUT scar.

Given that the yield difference has either been debunked or that it is evidently negligible in the hands of a competent FUE surgeon, I'd like to to go FUE, but is FUE still almost twice the cost of FUSS? That's a pretty big deal for a lot of people right there, I mean it would change the price from around $5,000-$6,000 to more in the range of $10,000 to $12,000 - nothing to scoff at, and would likely mean saving money for another year or two for most people. Is there any current wisdom as far as pricing difference? Should I just get one more FUSS and then, after a year or so, get a small FUE to fill in the scar once and for all?

Hey so I was thinking (and this debate directly applies to my thoughts)... I want to go for one final round to tie off my loose ends for the foreseeable future, probably about 1,300-1,600 grafts. This will be to fill in my temples a little, drop 300 or so into my crown to rebuild the spiral, and drop a few hundred into my FUT scar.

Given that the yield difference has either been debunked or that it is evidently negligible in the hands of a competent FUE surgeon, I'd like to to go FUE, but is FUE still almost twice the cost of FUSS? That's a pretty big deal for a lot of people right there, I mean it would change the price from around $5,000-$6,000 to more in the range of $10,000 to $12,000 - nothing to scoff at, and would likely mean saving money for another year or two for most people. Is there any current wisdom as far as pricing difference? Should I just get one more FUSS and then, after a year or so, get a small FUE to fill in the scar once and for all?

Since you've already gone the strip route and have shown no signs of poor scarring, I personally wouldn't switch up to fue until you're absolutely certain it will be your last procedure, that is of course assuming you're trying to maximize your donor. If it will be your last and you think you have that many grafts available from fue, then why not go to turkey or one of the cheaper places where doctors are performing great fue for a cheap price.

I presume you are referring to a "thin" strip scar. If so, then yes most thin strip scars have great potential to be effectively camouflaged with FUE grafts.

Yet I have seen examples where there were variables such as strip scars that were closed by the tryclosure method and the result was hair on either side of the scar growing out with misdirection and multi-angulations. Adding FUE grafts usually does not help in some of these situations.

Some patients end up with a wider scar and sometimes a scar revision is not possible if the laxity is not adequate. This is when FUE into the scar can be of better resolve to hide the strip scar.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

How many grafts do you "typically" need to burn to camo a thin strip scar?

Seconded - a very good question! And this would be assuming that it is a fairly thin scar, reaching most of the way around the back of the head - not quite ear-to-ear, but close. Anyone with any experience here?

Based on much research, I am of the opinion that it is not a good idea to dense pack any scar. Most docs successfully experienced with FUE into scars only do light grafting because of the lack of blood flow in scar tissue.

The more grafts that are done, the more scar tissue will develop and can compromise the overall yield. In other words, the more incisions that are made, the more corresponding trauma and scar tissue that will result.

Best to approach it in stages like NEGuy did.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY