hair transplant with Dr. Dorin

kujii

its been officially a year since my last hair transplant.

i am having mixed feelings about my result. unfortunately, in today's day and age, a doctor is judged by his results...

I have had numerous feelings of anger, frustration, happiness over this course of the year, that is has just been a whirlwind of a process.

im on 3rd month of propecia. initially i had side effects, but they disappeared within 2-3 weeks. its funny, when i started my regiment of quarter pill propecia, i had side effects. but as soon as i increased it to half, the side effects disappeared.

results:

Propecia, nizoral and lipogaine-had an overall pleasing effect on my hair. my hair definitely feels more dense. i still have more time to evaluate how the proepcia will work out. but so far, the thickness of my hair is amazing. I am very happy at the medications.

hair transplant:

not happy at the results at all. the left side has grown in, but the right side is definitely lacking. very depressing considering i spent 10gs for this mediocre result. i call my results mediocre because based on other people's results from the same doctor, my results pale far far in comparison. Unfortunately, i have to judge based on my results....not how caring or nice the doctor is although thats a plus. you guys can look at the pictures i posted before. the difference between now and then is negligible.

I have had people say to go back to the same doctor. But, i won't. why would i go back to the same doctor when i had poor results to begin with? i am switching doctors for the time being and going to go see dr. feller.

unfortunately, i can already predict another 10gs coming out of my pocket. for a guy with late norwood 3 / 4A, i just can't fathom having this poor results...anyways...i hope people can respect my opinion and not feel like i am raging a personal vendetta against dr. dorin. i am not. just not a happy patient. that's all.

take care guys and hope you guys have great results from ur HT. later

kujii

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very sorry to hear about this.. I think it would be nice of Dr. Dorin to reimburse you some of the money that you paid. I'm not sure that you are entitled to any sort of refund under their clinic but it sure would be in good faith on their part. Unfortunately there is no surgeon out there with a 100% track record. None. I had even less hairloss than you and my results were also terrible and from a VERY respected surgeon. I certainly do feel your pain, sadness and torment champ...

I'm very sorry to hear about this.. I think it would be nice of Dr. Dorin to reimburse you some of the money that you paid. I'm not sure that you are entitled to any sort of refund under their clinic but it sure would be in good faith on their part. Unfortunately there is no surgeon out there with a 100% track record. None. I had even less hairloss than you and my results were also terrible and from a VERY respected surgeon. I certainly do feel your pain, sadness and torment champ...

hey thanks...but unfortunately, i signed some document the day of the surgery where I believe i read that in the event the results were poor, i won't be reimbursed, but would be given another free hair transplant. I wasn't thinking too much when i signed it since it was on the day of surgery and i was excited to have the surgery done. Based on my consultation with dr. true, he claimed his office was approaching 98% yield (whatever that means). so i thought 2% no growth is nothing. hence i opted for it. unfortunately, it looks like i only had 40% growth in my grafts. the right side has clearly not grown that much. the left side has grown in, but i still don't like the fact that grafts are placed so far apart. on top of it, dr. dorin also inmplanted hair a bit behind near the crown/front. when i brush my hair, i can clearly see the implanted hairs there too. so its very unnatural. it leaves like an unnatural feeling. I was reading through this forum and apparantly, another member was dissatisfied at the results from true and dorin because the grafts were placed soo far apart.

Unfortunately, i have to get another surgery. I am looking like a clown and i can't sit here doing nothing. infact, had i not had the hair transplant, i would have merely shaved my hair. now, even that option is gone. I am getting so upset its ridiculous. I have refused to pay the credit company that extended me the credit to do the hair transplant. (why would i pay if i had poor results? i don't have 10gs growing in trees).

hey thanks...but unfortunately, i signed some document the day of the surgery where I believe i read that in the event the results were poor, i won't be reimbursed, but would be given another free hair transplant. I wasn't thinking too much when i signed it since it was on the day of surgery and i was excited to have the surgery done. Based on my consultation with dr. true, he claimed his office was approaching 98% yield (whatever that means). so i thought 2% no growth is nothing. hence i opted for it. unfortunately, it looks like i only had 40% growth in my grafts. the right side has clearly not grown that much. the left side has grown in, but i still don't like the fact that grafts are placed so far apart. on top of it, dr. dorin also inmplanted hair a bit behind near the crown/front. when i brush my hair, i can clearly see the implanted hairs there too. so its very unnatural. it leaves like an unnatural feeling. I was reading through this forum and apparantly, another member was dissatisfied at the results from true and dorin because the grafts were placed soo far apart.

Unfortunately, i have to get another surgery. I am looking like a clown and i can't sit here doing nothing. infact, had i not had the hair transplant, i would have merely shaved my hair. now, even that option is gone. I am getting so upset its ridiculous. I have refused to pay the credit company that extended me the credit to do the hair transplant. (why would i pay if i had poor results? i don't have 10gs growing in trees).

I would think twice about refusing to pay the credit card company back the money they loaned you, it will be very bad for your record. I can totally understand you feeling very upset, I too went into a deep depression for some time after it was evident my surgery was a dud.

Dr. True's claim of 98% yield is absolute hyperbole and fabrication. I cannot believe surgeons recommended on here are making claims like this. It is absolutely ridiculous and used to ease the patients mind whilst being totally unsubstantiated. This is not the first time I have heard a recommended surgeon make a claim too good to be true. I know the forum can't police what surgeons tell patients in their practice but this really concerns me...

kuji, You have to pay back the credit card company or you will wreck your credit and end up with enormous fees, plus the interest.

Best of luck with Dr. Feller. After my first failed HT he really did the right thing by me and has brought me to a place where I'm very happy. I hope you get this all sorted out and end up with the results you deserve.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Kujii,

Sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction. What I would say is that it can take up to 18 months to see the final result.

I hope you are willing to contact Bill and ask T&D to respond on this forum, especially to the comment that 'all the grafts grew apart from 25-40'. At the moment your pictures are just too fuzzy and we really need to see the immediate post op photos.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 1 month later...

now tell me...how would you guys react getting results like this? this is a laughable matter when a doctor tells me all my grafts on the right side grew

my left side has definitely grown in...i can't understand how the right side is considered already grown by the doctor...doesn't make sense.

photo-9.JPG.1672230ac5a96553763a4b01fc562249.JPG

photo-10.JPG.9587f9ad91885de1c315d27fc1b57350.JPG

photo-11.JPG.94335a0d4ecda23d9e23b5ecf09e4bb2.JPG

photo-12.JPG.d0fd95bd3f1ff9652c4779ec1c13c588.JPG

photo-13.JPG.3829d613fda83c7f4336a2c439073012.JPG

temp.jpg.f2f54dd194e12488cd533757f1561e26.jpg

Edited by kujii

can anyone please tell me whether im at fault for the way i am thinking? please don't ask me for better pictures. thats the best i can do. if its not clear for you, imagine that i had no hair at that area and what u see now is pretty much what i have.

Edited by kujii

Kujii,

When was the last time you spoke with Dr. Dorin? I know we've talked in the past and I believe, at that point in time, you did have a chance to speak with him and come to some sort of resolution?

Please let me know, and if not, I will help bring Dr. Dorin on board and work toward resolving this.

Look forward to your reply.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Whenever there is a patient with poor growth, we keep hearing suggestions of "talk to your doctor", but, essentially, what can the doctor do? If the transplant had low yield, it is irreversible, and the grafts have been wasted.

I'm not trying to call you out, but if an HT proves disappointing, why not call it that?

KO,

While I understand what you're saying, I suppose I simply don't think calling it disappointing and leaving it at that is much of a solution. What's more, sometimes that situation isn't as simple as a "poor versus good" result. Because of this, I personally think it is helpful to inform the doctor, have him/her evaluate the situation and speak with the patient, and either clarify what went wrong or create a plan to fix the poor yield.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

KO,

We always advise patients with concerns to speak to their physician, whether they're recommended or not. While they may not be able to provide a "quick fix" to poor growth, they can work with the patient to offer long term solutions. Many physicians will provide discounted or free surgery to replace grafts that didn't grow, etc.

Dr. Dorin is a highly esteemed surgeon with an excellent reputation. While I understand patients get upset and need to vent, ultimately, I have faith that with proper communication that Dr. Dorin will do what he can to help this patient. Thus, it's highly vaid to suggest that any patient who is upset and disappointed talk to their surgeon about possible solutions.

Best Regards,

Bill

can anyone please tell me whether im at fault for the way i am thinking? please don't ask me for better pictures. thats the best i can do. if its not clear for you, imagine that i had no hair at that area and what u see now is pretty much what i have.

I feel your pain champ, I too had a failed result from a renowned surgeon and was sent into a deep depression. A hair transplant in this day and age should improve your life, not cause you sadness and torment. Sadly, it is not an exact science and sometimes luck is not with us. I'm still not over my failed procedure and maybe I never will be. I really understand your dissatisfaction because I have been there too my friend. It is not your fault for your way of thinking, it is a natural reaction. Many patients who have had failed procedures via FUT and FUE have expressed similar feelings to me. There is nothing I can really say that will fix things for you in the long run, I know this because nothing anyone said to me helped really. Your situation can be remedied and I know it is a pain to go through another procedure but sometimes life throws a curve ball. I know it sucks, believe me but I went from being severely depressed(not suicidal or anything though) to being ok. Hopefully your situation is not as dire as mine and you can bounce back within a few weeks or months. I wish you all the best champ, please try and remain positive.

wow reading these posts from Kujii is really freaking me out I am 3 and a half months past my HT by dr.dorin i had 2400 graphs (at the front) its looking a little thin like the hairs are spaced to far apart .Has this happened to anyone else

Kujii give us a update what happened with the doctor did you or are you going to get another HT and did the doctor try to satisfy you or work something out

hey doctor dorin contacted me. sorry, i haven't had a chance to speak with him as i have 4 exams this coming week and have been very busy. i will call him on monday morning and follow up. cheers

kujii

• 5 months later...

Hello all, I hope this message reaches all you guys with full head of hair :). I have a question...so I initiated my treatment with lipogaine, propecia and big 3 shampoo. initially, i believe i had good results for about 1-2 months or so. I believe I started propecia on February at about 0.25 mg once per week. then on the 2nd week i bumped it to twice then even other day for a month...then i believe after a month, i bumped it to 0.5 grams per day. No lie, I had really bad symptoms...I couldn't get it up. My balls ached very bad. But, I think I also had signs of ED prior to starting the medication while I was on hairomega taking 3 pills of that saw pawlemetto. I also remember my balls aching when I was a kid around 14-15. so I am not sure whether it was the medication or what. I also have the habit of working out a lot so I wasn't sure if i pulled something. Well, then anyways...I then started taking l-arginine and another medication, i forgot which...to help in that department and it really did wonders...Also, at around june to july, i started shedding extremely badly. I would literally get 100 hairs or so come out during shower...i became very noticably bald and the shedding just continued all the way up until 2 weeks ago. At around the same time, I bought emu oil and started applying it to my head and now I have practically 1-2 hairs that fall off the shower. I would like to ask, is that normal now?

Also, as far as my symptoms, i stopped taking l-arginine around 3-4 months ago and have been extremely horny...as in, (its up) most of the time and my balls don't ache anymore at all. I am thinking my symptoms are completely gone and they won't return? I get dull pain down there maybe once in 2 months or so. Honestly, i can't remember the last time it was hurting.

So...my hair does feel like its filling in. I am not sure really as it feels too soon to tell. How long do you guys have to wait in general after shedding has stopped to see results? Also, is it normal to have shedding from month 4-8? I guess since i started teh treatment intiially at a very low dosage and bumped it up to 0.5 is when the shedding went massive? i am now taking anywhere between 0.5 to 0.75 and am thinking to increase to 1. should I do this or just stick with the current plan? I guess this post seems somewhere positive...I don't know what to make of it yet as I really dont' have any more symptoms and i feel propeica cured my ED symptoms if anything...

• 3 months later...
Hello all, I hope this message reaches all you guys with full head of hair :). I have a question...so I initiated my treatment with lipogaine, propecia and big 3 shampoo. initially, i believe i had good results for about 1-2 months or so. I believe I started propecia on February at about 0.25 mg once per week. then on the 2nd week i bumped it to twice then even other day for a month...then i believe after a month, i bumped it to 0.5 grams per day. No lie, I had really bad symptoms...I couldn't get it up. My balls ached very bad. But, I think I also had signs of ED prior to starting the medication while I was on hairomega taking 3 pills of that saw pawlemetto. I also remember my balls aching when I was a kid around 14-15. so I am not sure whether it was the medication or what. I also have the habit of working out a lot so I wasn't sure if i pulled something. Well, then anyways...I then started taking l-arginine and another medication, i forgot which...to help in that department and it really did wonders...Also, at around june to july, i started shedding extremely badly. I would literally get 100 hairs or so come out during shower...i became very noticably bald and the shedding just continued all the way up until 2 weeks ago. At around the same time, I bought emu oil and started applying it to my head and now I have practically 1-2 hairs that fall off the shower. I would like to ask, is that normal now?

Also, as far as my symptoms, i stopped taking l-arginine around 3-4 months ago and have been extremely horny...as in, (its up) most of the time and my balls don't ache anymore at all. I am thinking my symptoms are completely gone and they won't return? I get dull pain down there maybe once in 2 months or so. Honestly, i can't remember the last time it was hurting.

So...my hair does feel like its filling in. I am not sure really as it feels too soon to tell. How long do you guys have to wait in general after shedding has stopped to see results? Also, is it normal to have shedding from month 4-8? I guess since i started teh treatment intiially at a very low dosage and bumped it up to 0.5 is when the shedding went massive? i am now taking anywhere between 0.5 to 0.75 and am thinking to increase to 1. should I do this or just stick with the current plan? I guess this post seems somewhere positive...I don't know what to make of it yet as I really dont' have any more symptoms and i feel propeica cured my ED symptoms if anything...

Hey there Kujii,

It's been a while but I was wondering if you can post some photos for update? I stumbled across your thread last night and was quite shocked! :eek:

From the above post, you sound more positive & optimistic. I am just so curious as to how you were able to resolve the matter with Dr. Dorin (if you ever were able to resolve it, that is).

You see, I am seriously contemplating of getting HT from T&D. I have narrowed my choices to Hasson & Wong and True & Dorin. I think they are both renowned surgeons but I was leaning toward T&D strictly due to the close proximity. I was very excited to get HT from T&D until I saw your post. Now I am concerned. Very very concerned!

Could you let us know how everything went with Dr. Dorin? If you can even post recent photos, I would greatly appreciated it.

Edited by GrowNewHair

• 1 year later...

I think it's time I give an update.

First pic was taken sometime during last year in the summer. The second one is taken recently.

I have been getting some pimples in my forehead. Not sure if it is propecia related. Can any one suggest how to tackle the pimple problem?

image.jpg.4814b4cf467efbead5ecc510676f96a8.jpg

Kujii, your hair looks great. Did you get a 2nd HT? If so, did you go back to T&D?

No I didn't. Thanks a lot. I think the propecia + rogain has helped a lot. I am planning on having a second procedure soon to fill in and dense pack the previous areas and perhaps also improve further coverage on other areas.

No I didn't. Thanks a lot. I think the propecia + rogain has helped a lot. I am planning on having a second procedure soon to fill in and dense pack the previous areas and perhaps also improve further coverage on other areas.

Are you planning to have the second procedure with Dr. Dorin again?

If not, was there anything that you weren't happy with him?

Are you planning to have the second procedure with Dr. Dorin again?

If not, was there anything that you weren't happy with him?

I'm not sure yet. I want to first consult with other doctors to make sure this is the final procedure I have at least for the next 4-6 years. I felt that although my hair grew from my first procedure, the grafts were still placed too far apart.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I have decided to go for a second surgery with Dr. Konior. Now, you see. According to Dr. Konior's office, my yield from the first surgery was not acceptable. It was very weak. Tom said he wanted to know what the t hinking procedure is behind a surgeon who would said that all my grafts grew. Now, according to Dr Konior, I would need an additioinal 2000-2500 to fill in these areas. This really pisses me off because the purpose of the first procedure was to reestabish my hairline. Unfortunately, I have to restablish my hairline again as it was done improperly. Now, why is it that dr Dorin led me to believe these results are completely natural and all i needed was another 1000? Dr. Konior said i needed 2000-2500. I was so emotionally upset to be led to believe that my results were very natural. Ugh. I mean, who is considered a top surgeon here?

god, i can't believe i was no naive to think my results were 100% natural and that this was the best i could get from a 2000 grafts and that all i needed was another 1000 more.

I have talked with 3 other patients and even they had similar results with Dr. Dorin.

5b32e8a770298_IMG_5925(800x600).jpg.219bf8d2c06abd286bf7ecc55d2befb9.jpg

5b32e8a78baa6_IMG_5926(800x600).jpg.480058f601b1d349ef22169ed05918f1.jpg

5b32e8a7ae928_IMG_5927(800x600).jpg.f4498a6e1934296cc65aad4d2751e771.jpg

Hello,

I have decided to go for a second surgery with Dr. Konior. Now, you see. According to Dr. Konior's office, my yield from the first surgery was not acceptable. It was very weak. Tom said he wanted to know what the t hinking procedure is behind a surgeon who would said that all my grafts grew. Now, according to Dr Konior, I would need an additioinal 2000-2500 to fill in these areas. This really pisses me off because the purpose of the first procedure was to reestabish my hairline. Unfortunately, I have to restablish my hairline again as it was done improperly. Now, why is it that dr Dorin led me to believe these results are completely natural and all i needed was another 1000? Dr. Konior said i needed 2000-2500. I was so emotionally upset to be led to believe that my results were very natural. Ugh. I mean, who is considered a top surgeon here?

god, i can't believe i was no naive to think my results were 100% natural and that this was the best i could get from a 2000 grafts and that all i needed was another 1000 more.

I have talked with 3 other patients and even they had similar results with Dr. Dorin.

Thank you so much for a very valuable feedback Kuji!

I have been considering Dr. Dorin seriously for the procedure but there was something that I just wasn't comfortable with. True & Dorin would be the most convenient choice for me distance wise but I just wasn't feeling 100% sure with them.

Your experience really helps me to make a better decision for my procedure.

I have been thinking H&W but now will consider Dr. Konior as well.

I wish you the very best with your procedure with Dr. Konior!:)