Stem Cell hair growth India

rattitude86

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Blake said, most of the stem cell results I've seen are either combined with regular FUE or are only a few weeks/months after the procedure with virtually no growth to speak of. Thus, while Dr. Nigam impressed me with discussion of the procedure and how it works in theory, to date, I haven't seen anything that convinces me that hair stem cell transplantation is effective to date.

Dr. Nigam is welcome to join in the discussion and share his thoughts on this subject since he's experimenting with this procedure.

Best wishes,

Bill

Like Blake said, most of the stem cell results I've seen are either combined with regular FUE or are only a few weeks/months after the procedure with virtually no growth to speak of.

Does that also apply to Acell + PRP injections?

When we talk about stem cell FUE procedure, we're talking about Acell right?

So I assumed FUE + stem cell was using the same technology as ACell + PRP injections, thus their effectiveness should be the same?

Does that also apply to Acell + PRP injections?

When we talk about stem cell FUE procedure, we're talking about Acell right?

So I assumed FUE + stem cell was using the same technology as ACell + PRP injections, thus their effectiveness should be the same?

Brody,

The procedure I know of with ACell is different than what you are describing:

Initially, ACell was tested as a medium to help partial follicles regenerate into fully functional follicles when implanted into the recipient site. The partial grafts were "plucked" from the donor region, treated with the ACell, and implanted into the scalp.

Because only a partial graft was extracted ("plucked") and a portion of the follicle was left behind in the donor zone (likely the regenerative hair matrix or some element surrounding the dermal papilla), hair regrew in the donor region.

Furthermore, because the ACell allegedly helped partial follicles regenerate into full, terminal follicles, the grafts treated and implanted with ACell grew hair as well. In doing this, true "hair duplication" (creating two grafts from one) was achieved. However, it seems like this did not "pan out" as initially planned and I believe ACell is now mainly studied in FUT scar healing.

"Stem cell" hair restoration treatments is kind of a vague term. In theory, there are two regions of stem cell activity within the hair follicle: one portion is believed to be the bulge stem cells located in the outer root sheath and the other is near the base of the hair follicle (likely the hair matrix). Through several research projects, one important aspect of hair follicle stem cells was discovered: both regions of stem cell activity can produce a follicle capable of cycling regularly and creating terminal hair.

This means that, in theory, you can create two functional hairs from one follicle by removing and implanting the bulge cells and leaving the hair matrix (or dermal papilla) from the same follicle in the donor region.

In several instances, researchers/practitioners used some sort of medium to treat the partial follicles before implanted, and this could have something to do with the survival (and was the basis behind ACell).

When it comes to using this theory as a hair restoration treatment, you may see individuals using plucking or partial FUE to remove one portion of a stem cell and leave the other remaining (to create two grafts), or you may also hear about simply "cloning" the stem cells via removing follicles from the scalp and (somehow) replicating them outside of the body.

PRP simply refers to Platelet Rich Plasma, and is an element used for years in Orthopedic medicine to increase healing time. It's been studied for quite some time in hair restoration, but, thus far, the results are mixed.

Knowing all this, I don't think you can say stem cell hair transplantation, PRP, FUE + PRP, or FUE + ACell are the same thing.

Hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Future_HT_Doc,

Yes this was a very helpful and thorough answer. Thanks!

Further research on my part lead me to understand that Acell is not related to stemcell technology but will help activate the stemcells present in our body and help healing/regeneration.

Stemcell technology used for hair regrowth is in testing (like replicel) and is a different technology as you said.

Any other promising companies/treatments doing testing right now with stemcells or other major new technology?

Are you indeed a future HT doc?

What do you think about Acell + PRP injections? (only injections, without HT)

Cheers!

Are you indeed a future HT doc?

That's the plan :D

What do you think about Acell + PRP injections? (only injections, without HT)

Personally, I'm not sure this would be effective. However, if you're interested in discussing ACell treatments, you should try to schedule a consultation or interview with Dr. Jerry Cooley. He was one of the first physicians in the US to really investigate the therapy, and my guess is that if there is any sort of efficacy to ACell with PRP injections, he would know about it.

Glad I could help!

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

My 2 cents,

The claim "300 grafts to 3k" is quite big and risky. Honestly, ı dont think he is trying to fool anyone or something like that but if us, ht researchers hear something like that, we know that this is the weakest point of ht industry ( limited donor zone) and this becomes not just some important issue, it becomes the most important issue.

I really dont know the doc, haven t seen any of his results. But i should aggree with taking the plunge , if that would be real , it would definately be the mainstream.

So I really hope he achieves his claims because that would be beating the achilles heel of the whole ht industry. But for me it s simple ; " no pictures or it didnt happen" :)

Personally, I'm not sure this would be effective. However, if you're interested in discussing ACell treatments, you should try to schedule a consultation or interview with Dr. Jerry Cooley. He was one of the first physicians in the US to really investigate the therapy, and my guess is that if there is any sort of efficacy to ACell with PRP injections, he would know about it.

Thanks!

Will get in contact with him!

well, I went to Dr Nigam's website and it's there..he claims he can turn 500 hairs into 5000 .. I got an email from them saying that I need to stay in India for 20 days minimum in order to have the procedure done.

They're confident.

I just wish that this 'technology' can be shared with some other doctors around the globe.

Sapo,

I'd be very careful about claims anyone makes without sufficient evidence. I've been in touch with Dr. Nigam for months and while his hair stem cell transplant sounds great in theory, all the photos he sent me were either only immediately after the procedure showing no growth or combined with FUE hair transplant surgery showing growth which appears to be from the FUE procedure rather than hair multiplication.

Creating 5000 hairs from 500 is certainly impressive sounding. But will they actually grow? So far, I haven't seen any impressive hair stem cell transplant results as a stand alone treatment from any clinic.

I'm not trying to discourage you from researching and learning more. I just think that without more study and proof that the procedure actually works consistently, it could end up being a big waste of time and money.

Best wishes,

Bill

I'd be very interested to get more information about the actual cloning process. That, or some photographs documenting an entire multiplication journey (i.e. a picture of the 500 grafts in the medium on day one, 1,000 on day 10, etc, etc).

Sapo,

I'd be very careful about claims anyone makes without sufficient evidence. I've been in touch with Dr. Nigam for months and while his hair stem cell transplant sounds great in theory, all the photos he sent me were either only immediately after the procedure showing no growth or combined with FUE hair transplant surgery showing growth which appears to be from the FUE procedure rather than hair multiplication.

Creating 5000 hairs from 500 is certainly impressive sounding. But will they actually grow? So far, I haven't seen any impressive hair stem cell transplant results as a stand alone treatment from any clinic.

I'm not trying to discourage you from researching and learning more. I just think that without more study and proof that the procedure actually works consistently, it could end up being a big waste of time and money.

Best wishes,

Bill

I could see some complains against Dr. Nigam. We can find comments of some peope who visited Dr.Nigam. Go through the complete page.

(* Dr. Nigam complaint page removed by moderator*)

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
Outside link removed.

there is only 8 posts and they are all complaints about some weightloss thing.

Those complaints imply that the doctor has a tendency of making money with false promises.

So why not he can give false promises with his new stem cell therapy either?

I might be wrong, but we have to think in this way too, right?

Dr Nigam started posting on HS forum,

Can HRN invite him to start posting here

He's 100% welcome to make a general account and answer any questions, but he needs to be invited to share actual examples of his work.

New here. Was hoping for some good news on stem cell cloning hair. I seem to recall a video that Bosley was going to offer cloning of hair in a few years. Anyone know of any recent developments?

Bosley is working on a "hair multiplication/cloning" technique via their Aderans Inc division. They released some safety and efficacy studies last year and promised some updates in 2013. We'll see!

Hi All,

I have been researching the stem cell treatments for some time now and as someone had mentioned Dr. Nigams procedure I thought I would add my two bits to it. If I remember correctly I spoke to one of their clinics about 3 months ago and they were willing to provide a free hair transplant if the results of the procedure are not satisfactory. That sounded great but when I actually asked as to the success rate and the number of people who have had the procedure, I received vague responses. They did not seem convincing at all.

There are many other offering stem cell treatments, but most of them inject stem cells derived from other sources, I am guessing adipose tissue. They say the procedure requires 6-8 injections spread over a couple of months but results should be evident from the 3rd session or so. Anyone have any experience on this ??? Photographs look convincing, but one can never tell if their for real....

Another promising player in the market is someone who has developed a product called QR678. Apparently they are waiting for FDA approval and it costs a fraction of the stem cell procedure. Also an Indian doctor, operating under the name, The Esthetic Clinic. Amongst all the procedures out there, this was the only one under FDA trials that I have heard of.

I myself am confused as to whether I should go in for stem cell treatments or not. Worst case scenario they provide me with a free hair transplant, but I am completely unaware of any side effect of the procedure and I could not find much online. Most side effects relate to stem cell treatment for other ailments.

Dear members,I am DR VIVEK NIGAM,introduced to this forum 3days back...the members in this forum r well informed... it will be my pleasure to answer informed questions...and i am here for my scrutiny by members and fellow doctors...!

Dear member, weightloss clinics are handled by my wife under the same brand name DRNIGAM....talking about one or two deficiency in services complaints against her weightloss clinics...u can follow the posts ...they have been rectified.oQUOTE=FinHairLoss;2326111]there is only 8 posts and they are all complaints about some weightloss thing.

Dear Blake,

I could provide you multiplication of adult stem cell of hair follicles with microscopic pictures of multiplication day wise by February 2013. Since we are installing new software outside the main lab connected to our laser micro scopes as normal camera photography is not permissible inside the lab due to technical reasons.

In the mean time the forum publishers are more than welcome to visit our lab and witness the multiplication and differentiation of the adult stem cell of hair follicle.

I can also show you the picture of actual formation of the new papilla hair formation in vitro in the lab once I get the permission from the publisher of the forum to post these pictures.

l

I'd be very interested to get more information about the actual cloning process. That, or some photographs documenting an entire multiplication journey (i.e. a picture of the 500 grafts in the medium on day one, 1,000 on day 10, etc, etc).

Dear Member,

Kindly go through my reply posted to another member for his question you may get some details about my technique on stemcell hair multiplication.

1) Since the adult stem cells used for multiplication and differentiation into hair folllicles are extracted from hair follicles from the back of the head which are in most of the cases known to be resistant to DHT, hence chances of falling like in MPB are reduced as in traditional FUE/ FUT hair transplant.

2) Our experience till now show that multiplied hair grow as thick as normal native hair on the back and side of the scalp. In our Stem Cell Hair Multiplication experience, we have observed that clients not only get new hair follicles from the activated adult stem cells but also these activated adult stem cells play a major role in activating dormant telogen hair, vellus hair and this activation of existing follicle is much more promising at present. It is to be noted that latest observation among scientific peers even as per one of your hair restoration forum blogs is that "is MPB due to inactivation of adult stem cells in mid hair follicle bulge.

3) Approximately 50% patients have excellent results, 30% have average results and unfortunately at present 20% may not have any additional hair growth. I am in the process of getting world's first movable photon microscope from the only manufacturer in the world at Berlin from Germany (with the help of this microscope, we will be able to monitor directly on the scalp as in what happens to implanted, activated stem cells after they are injected into the human scalp), till then, as we are aware adult stem cell in the hair follicle can either be used to heal or regenerate skin, epidermis or activate dormant hair follicles or differentiate and become a hair organ i.e hair follicle. When we make pricks to inject stem cells into the scalp, some stem cells or in some unfortunate cases most of the stem cells may be utilised for healing the micro wounds created by injection pricks. Another observation in unsuccessful results is that it is not the activated adult stem cell hair follicle alone but the surrounding tissue with special messenger molecular communication with the stem cell activating WNT pathway also plays an important role in forming a new hair follicle. This nature's code is gradually getting deciphered/ decoded by the research scientists. We are trying to study how mother nature creates hair follicles in a fetus when first embryonic stem cell starts getting differentiated into a hair follicle from 4 weeks onwards and by 7th to 8th month of fetal age, total no. of hair follicles are finalised for full grown adult when he/she is the the mother's womb. On a new born scalp, there are vellus hair, gradually stem cells are activated and hair becomes thicker and as the stem cells become deactivated, hair again starts thinning and become vellus hair on a bald scalp like a new born. My theory is that we were chimpanzees in the jungles before, hence we needed hair for protection. Now we are in a concrete jungle where hair is not important for survival as physical protector( rather we need highly functioning brain to survive), Hence, the blood with nutrition is getting shunted from the scalp to the brain (as when the blood is shunted to the stomach and intestines from the brain after having food and you feel sleepy)

Gradually, the hair on the scalp like the body would become vestigeal and we are noticing younger and younger adults and now even kids having thinning of hair and becoming victims of MPB.

We have already created neo-papilla hair follicle in our regenerative lab but this would be available commercially only after completion of human clinical trials as per the regulatory compliance requirement. My prediction is baldness, cure upto 90% should be available commercially by 2017 by my team or any other fellow colleague or lab.

4) Yes, it is possible in approximately 50% cases that is 1 out of 2. He might haveto take 5-6 sessions of stem cell multiplication and we will use our donor doubling technique to minimise the no. of follicles required for the same.

5) A single hair follicle has approximately 150 stem cells located at multiple locations in a hair follicle. In lay man's language, when we get a cut on the skin, it is the resident stem cells of the skin which heals the cut and makes new skin. Similarly the cycle of hair follicle from thinning to falling and again coming back is majorly because of adult stem cells in the hair follicle. If we use 200 hair follicles, we can isolate 150 into 200 that is approximately 30000 stem cells. If we multiply them in 2 cycles, they will become 120000 stem cells. At present, we have observed in successful client results upto 40000-50000 new hair visibility secondary to stimulation of dormant telogen and vellus hair and others by new hair follicle formation. There are approximately 1000000 hair on an average on human scalp. I patients with average or poor results, we repeat this process 2-6 times and then the success rate improves further.

6) We have to extract at least 200-300 hair follicles(although beared hair is the best because it has got 2 DNA and it is much thicker and it has no damage to existing beard hair because we pluck only the 1 DNA that is a part of beard hair follicle) for getiing a good colony growth of stem cells.

Regards,

Dr. Nigam

well, I went to Dr Nigam's website and it's there..he claims he can turn 500 hairs into 5000 .. I got an email from them saying that I need to stay in India for 20 days minimum in order to have the procedure done.

They're confident.

I just wish that this 'technology' can be shared with some other doctors around the globe.