How much longer until hair cloning?

notsosure

Hey guys, I seem to post this question once every 6 months or so. Are we any closer to this at all? Any new news or anything? Or is it the same old, same old, "in 5-10 years it will be possible."

I'm due to turn 31 this May and am really starting to notice my poor hairline receding, receding, and receding some more.

The reason I'm not opting for a transplant is because I'm afraid of taking propecia, which I've heard of WAY too many side effects to make it worth taking.

Anyway, any new news?

Thanks

yep, big news... go google "histogen 1 year bald truth interview" . You'll find an interview on there that will blow your mind. I'd link it here but this web site wont let me link to the bald truth.... they restrict the free flow of important information

most docs on here are probably losing sleep listening to this interview

Hmmm... That's very interesting. I'd be curious to hear some of the veteran forum member's opinions/thoughts on this.

Obviously those articles want to make it sound better than it really is, but what are your thoughts, for those of you guys that know MUCH more about HT's etc. than I do.

Thanks!

No docs on here are losing sleep listening to this. There are still many millions of men out there who have completely lost their hairlines and this treatment will not replace the need of a talented HT surgeon to recreate that. At best this treatment will be a SIGNIFICANTLY superior "conjunction" therapy to be used along with a great HT.

This news IS extremely exciting though !!! And here's why: if it all pans out and is available in 3 years, then I can FINALLY flush all of my proscar pills down the toliet once and for all ! That would indeed be one of the happiest days of my life. With one great HT recreating the hairline and front 3rd one should be able to get these injections and fill the rest of the hair in. It would eliminate the extreme stress associated with worrying about a HT looking unnatural in the future if the hairloss progressed to NW6/7 and donor thinned out exposing the scar.

So IMO news like this only makes me even more confident in getting a great strip surgery today! I'll never have to worry about donor thinning and exposing the scar, just get these injections and you'll always have enough hair to cover that up! And the whole lack of density issue associated with limited donor in HTs today would be effectively eliminated for most. So if you want Brad Pitt or Elvis's hairline (NW0/1) then you have no worries about that decision as a younger guy.

I literally PRAY that this stuff comes to market !!!

Finhairloss,

We do not prevent the free flow of information. However, we do not support links to promotional sites. This is clearly defined in our terms of service. Besides, you go ask Spencer Kobren if he allows links to this educational community on his forum. The answer is no.

Get your facts straight before you accuse this community of preventing genuine information. It's the very fact that we promote free speech which gives you the ability to ignorantly, falsely accuse this community. Now that you know our policies, I expect you to follow them and leave the false accusations behind.

Bill

Back on topic...

There are a number of promising future treatments being worked on and tested. Whether or not any of these will prove safe and effective and when is another story. Hair cloning in particular has been projected to become available within 10 years, 10 years ago. We are still hearing the same thing.

Regarding Histogen, only time will tell what happens. But anything with years of study left typically takes a lot longer to become available.

Hopefully for all of us, new and better treatments than finasteride and minoxidil will become available in the not so distance future. Until then, I remain cautiously optimistic.

Best wishes,

Bill

Like Bill said, there are some exciting prospects on the horizon, but good science takes time. I think everyone involved with the hair transplant community wants the next generation of treatments to be as safe, effective, and accessible as possible, and we're all looking forward to future studies and results.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

NotSoSure,

Waiting for hair cloning or multiplication should definitely NOT be a strategy. Even if a breakthrough occurs and we see it, say, in a decade (not likely), there is an adoption phase where doctors need to master the new techniques in perfecting a new technology, and this takes time.

As for Propecia, it seems there is a general paranoia in regards to side effects that is largely unfounded. Less than 2% of users experience any side effects. Finasteride has proven to be a solid and important part of the entire hair transplant process aimed at your best chance of success, so take it and find out for yourself. If you experience side effects, then stop. Simple.

Panama Jimmy

Keep waiting. Cloning of patient specific tissues will revolutionize medicine this century, but probably not in time for many of us to use for cosmetic purposes.

As to whether docs would resist....I think that is a non question. I'd offer it tomorrow if an unlimited supply of hair could be ordered by a patient. A highly skilled placement team would still be required. The "cost" of a dissection team and their instruments would be eliminated, but I would expect total graft count to go WAY up as there would be as much hair as the patient wanted to buy. Then prices would be dictated only by the number of grafts to be placed, and the skill level of the placement team and doctor.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

it all sounds great. I too am cautiously optimistic. here's some of the most important facts I picked up from the interview:

clinical results were 97% effective

injections revive existing stem cells and allow you to grow brand new hair follicles and reverse the miniturization process

hair regrowth continued to improve after 1 year with no subsequent injections

HSC was designed to be the same as the biological composition of how the body grows new hair in infants

it should be just as effective in women as for men, although it did seem like the doctor implied that female trials may come later

Dr. Gail Naughton said it could "hit the market 3-4 yrs if all goes well"

According to the article, the full results will be presented at the society for investigative dermatology conference in the next few days (May 5th - 8th). I suppose we will hear more soon.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.