Spanker Sets a Date (pics)

Spanker

Well, first of all, let me say thanks to everyone on this forum. I likely would have made a mistake that would have required corrective surgery in the future, as the first surgeon I found and considered was still doing mini grafts, and I had no idea what a mini grafts was.

I finally set a date for surgery on July 30 with Dr. Konior. I chose him because he seemed like a good fit for me personally, he is highly skilled, and people in my shape seem to be his niche. (Implanting in existing hair and dense packing hairlines.)

I will be keeping the forum updated and plan on posting monthly pics. I have added some before pics below so you can see where I am at. Basically, these are the "worst" pics I could find, i.e. most revealing. I can currently hide my recession and loss with my hair style, but I am wanting to beef it up and feel more confident and less self conscious.

To be honest, I am absolutely terrified that:

1. I will have a failed procedure

2. Further loss will make me look ridiculous

I do not plan on being aggressive with the hair line. I want it a little less mature than what I have now in the corners and don't want to come down at all in the front. My right side is a little worse. I would also lit just a little bit of a beef up right in the front hair line where it is breaking up a little. BTW, I am 33. The pics with the longest hair are the newest.

Again, thanks for everyone's help in the past. Comments are welcome.

h1.JPG.d33df7f899711e5971a1b1923728a954.JPG

h2.JPG.b58718476399bcc006b02b11e0988490.JPG

h6.jpg.92080eb3c37c538b7bfd15971f21d340.jpg

h3.JPG.2ae156d6f9c1f0b7a3a55acb814b8f21.JPG

h4.JPG.ca78ebaa6b71a8ddabb08d7d81913e57.JPG

h5.jpg.3720ff54ea238cb83357d6c0cbd92d7e.jpg

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker congratulation on setting a date.

I think Dr Konior is excellent, one the best and I think he should market his work more as it matches the very best.

You have a very good head of hair already.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Chris,

I think we have fairly similar patterns if I remember correctly. Dr. K told me that I would need 1200 as a low ball figure, but I think I may need a bit more. We will just see how it turns out.

I think he should show off a little more of his work too. Part of it could be they are busy taking care of local patients. Chicago is just so big, he could probably work on local people only until he retired.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker,

Congrats on setting the date. I have always been impressed with Dr Konier and have always believed he is underated on here.

I think with the minimal loss that you have you will be in for a fantastic result fella :)

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Awesome and good call.

The two terrifying items you listed will almost certainly not happen with a doctor like Dr. Konior - especially with the plan to not go overly aggressive with the hairline.

I can't remember if you were on Fin or not. That would certainly help with the fight against shock loss.

Goddamm your already amazing head of hair! ;)

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Great choice, can't wait to see the result in 12 months

If I go through with a HT I would choose him like a shot, but at the moment I'm trying the meds.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Congrats and best of luck Spanker. With all the great advice and time you spend on this forum to help others you certainly deserve a great result. BTW...I will be right behind you...my date with Dr. Jerry Wong is August 14th.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Congrats and best of luck Spanker. With all the great advice and time you spend on this forum to help others you certainly deserve a great result. BTW...I will be right behind you...my date with Dr. Jerry Wong is August 14th.

Nice!

View Spanker's Website

Spanker like you I am excited to "get the show on the road". The only thing i am really worried about is being in the chair that long. I'm ok with the pain, the ugly duckling phase, the staples, the money....but that 8 hours or more in the chair combined with my sometimes panic/anxiety scares the hell out of me. I'm gonna need a double dose of whatever they give me, maybe throw in a shot of Patron, and a qualude! LOL

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Spanker like you I am excited to "get the show on the road". The only thing i am really worried about is being in the chair that long. I'm ok with the pain, the ugly duckling phase, the staples, the money....but that 8 hours or more in the chair combined with my sometimes panic/anxiety scares the hell out of me. I'm gonna need a double dose of whatever they give me, maybe throw in a shot of Patron, and a qualude! LOL

It's funny how we all have our worries. My short term worries are getting shaved and returning to work and donor and recipient shock loss. I am really ready to get in over with. You figure someone that has a procedure will have about 5 to 6 months of anxiety to see if they are going to have a good result.

I am not worried about time in the chair. 6 years of being in the Army has made me a great "hurry up and wait" person.

View Spanker's Website

You've got great looking hair especially if those are the most revealing pics!

I had the same two worries as you but it goes away as the new hair comes in.

Thanks. It's pretty much my corners and just a little in the hairline. I am gonna try not to worry but it has been on my mind pretty heavy since I set a date. Your procedure went great. Hope it works out they well for me.

View Spanker's Website

Spanker,

I can't think of anyone who has done more research than you have. You've certainly covered all your bases. Great choice with Dr. Konior. As others have said, you've already got a great head of hair to start with so I'm sure your results are going to be a knock out.

Good luck! Can't wait to see your results.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks David. I have definitely put my time in and I feel I have really stacked the cards in my favor. :)

View Spanker's Website

I'm glad you finally decided to pull the trigger. You definitely did your homework! Dr. Konior is one of the most impressive surgeons I've seen. I believe 1200 or so grafts will give you any kind of hairline you want. Considering you've been losing your hair for 7 years and that is all you've lost, I think you got the good side of your family genetics :).

BTW, where in Tennessee are you? I'm in Courtland, MS. about 45 minutes from Memphis.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I'm glad you finally decided to pull the trigger. You definitely did your homework! Dr. Konior is one of the most impressive surgeons I've seen. I believe 1200 or so grafts will give you any kind of hairline you want. Considering you've been losing your hair for 7 years and that is all you've lost, I think you got the good side of your family genetics :).

BTW, where in Tennessee are you? I'm in Courtland, MS. about 45 minutes from Memphis.

I am an hour north of Memphis.

View Spanker's Website

Good luck! I still think of you as a grey haired guy with a beard. No amount of real photos of you will change that.

That's funny Matt. I have a little grey starting to sprout. And a beard. My avatar is from the Dosequis beer commercial. He is known a the most interesting man in the world. The commercials are funny.

View Spanker's Website

I can currently hide my recession and loss with my hair style, but I am wanting to beef it up and feel more confident and less self conscious.

To be honest, I am absolutely terrified that:

1. I will have a failed procedure

2. Further loss will make me look ridiculous

Well, you've definitely made a wise choice with Dr. Konior, and should put to bed any concerns of a failed procedure with him. However, it is a little concerning to hear you say you think "further loss will make you look ridiculous" when you already have a great head of hair and will likely never lose enough hair to "look ridiculous", and if you did experience further hair loss it wouldn't look anything other than perfectly normal. Hearing people say things like that when they look like you reminds me of an anorexic girl looking in the mirror and thinking they are fat. I don't think it is a healthy perception of oneself, and you have zero reason to feel self conscious about your hair. I doubt a small procedure is the answer to reversing this perception but at least you chose the right doctor. Cheers.

Congrats Spanker......I love Dr. Konior's work. You chose a great doc. It is hard not to worry, but you are in great hands and I am sure you will be thrilled.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Well, you've definitely made a wise choice with Dr. Konior, and should put to bed any concerns of a failed procedure with him. However, it is a little concerning to hear you say you think "further loss will make you look ridiculous" when you already have a great head of hair and will likely never lose enough hair to "look ridiculous", and if you did experience further hair loss it wouldn't look anything other than perfectly normal. Hearing people say things like that when they look like you reminds me of an anorexic girl looking in the mirror and thinking they are fat. I don't think it is a healthy perception of oneself, and you have zero reason to feel self conscious about your hair. I doubt a small procedure is the answer to reversing this perception but at least you chose the right doctor. Cheers.

By further loss I mean end up a nw6 and not have enough donor to make it look natural.

My perception of my self is fine. I'm a stone cold hottie. :)

With the disease that I have that effects the scalp (cutis verticis gyrata) I am a little hyper sensitive about balding and trying to stay on top of things.

None of us would have originally came here if we liked out hair.

View Spanker's Website