Dr. Bolton Please Stop With the 2-3 Times Density Marketing Tactic

Cant decide

Am I the only one that is getting sick and tired of hearing how Dr. Bolton can give 2-3 times the density in one procedure compared to other docs? This is obviously a marketing tactic.

For anyone who thinks this is a legit selling point, I don’t care if you count in grafts or hairs, 7000 hairs (Approx. 3300 grafts) is no different in quantity regardless if Bolton or any other doc places them. What matters is how they are placed and yield. Most top docs are nailing 90%+ yield easily and unless Bolton is a magician, no placement technique in the world will make a small number of grafts/hairs per sq cm appear denser just because Bolton places them. Using micro/minis is not an answer either because again, using micro and minis does not increase overall hair numbers. Also, if used in the wrong places, the result could be disasterous.

How many 4000+ grafts (approx. 8200+ hair) procedures does Bolton do? I suspect not many. Therefore, how can he say he gives 2-3 times the density when there are several clinics that are doing these large procedures routinely? That would mean that he would need to do 8000-12000 graft procedures which is obviously absurd.

From the results I have seen, they appear to be very good. I have no way of knowing if they are representative of his work. However, this 2-3 times density claim makes me very uneasy about this guy.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I don't even know how one can approximate 2-3 times in increased density. Compared to what? It's an arbitrary number used as a advertising gimic.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

not going to deep in to explanation and reaserach and using common sense I definately agree with you. I could not imagine how he could achieve more density by comparison to other physicians unless he uses more grafts. Maybe he gives you a lifetime supply of concealer with your order.

the more you read about the hair industry the more you realise it is a big lying business taking advantage of desperate men.first of all they sale **** products like rogaine minoxile etc.. all products that will never make your hair grow back,only in some casses will slow down the process of losing hair.Hair transplant is full of bad results and complication that people never here of,I see people here going back for a third transplant thats how bad the first one's went.I read people regreting having HT because the results are poor and they are stuck with a big scar.Anyway you realy have to choise the top dr but again he can fail has I read people disapointement with top drs.For me Rahal would be my guy because I live 2 hours from is place,but the more I read I just learn that anybody can get shock loss after a HT something the DRs don't talk about,you pay so much monney for a HT,what you get in return? a big scar that is horible that if you dont like your Ht your prety much screwed because you can'not have your hair short anymore,possibilty of shock loss,that means you will lose hair! so sick.. you get new hair that you payed for but in exchange you could also lose some.Most of the time you will not be happy with the density or the final result,so HT is a big big risk that can also change your life in a very bad way,make it 10 times worst than before you got you're HT.

Montreal, why did you come back and continue to rant against HT. This post like most all of yours is not helpful, is wrong and full of misinformation. Yes, with HT there are risks and people should be aware of them in making their decisions. This is surgery and there are no guarantees, just like any surgery done by any doctor. However, it is far from the nightmare that you describe in this post and every other post you make. If you don't want a HT that is fine, but making post like these are not helpful to anyone and is just plain wrong.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

This is not like other surgery,if you get a breast surgery you will get breast the size you want them,if you get a nose surgery you will get the shape you want,If you get HT you just don't know what you will get..and it's more expensive

This is not like other surgery,if you get a breast surgery you will get breast the size you want them,if you get a nose surgery you will get the shape you want,If you get HT you just don't know what you will get..and it's more expensive

Cosmetic breast surgery and nose surgery does not always turn out like the person wanted, and sometimes they turn out really bad, especially at the hands of a bad doctor. There are risks with those surgeries as well as any surgery, including HT surgery. I do agree with you that people need to understand and appreciate the risks, but the risks are not like you describe in many of your posts. There are definitely bad doctors in the HT industry and there is some marketing in the industry that is terrible. However, there are a lot of very skilled and very ethical doctors who do great work for their patients.....many of which are recommended on this forum. Any of the skilled and ethical doctors will tell you what you can reasonably expect, potential risks and potential future surgeries (either needed to achieve your goals or to address potential future hair loss). People do need to understand those things, but people can achieve very solid realistic results in the hands of skilled HT surgeons. My issue with your posts is that you put a lot of information out there that is just plain wrong.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

I recently caught HolySmokes, Stylin, goheat3 and AllAmerican using the same IP address, which is indicative of one person using multiple aliases. This is a tactic sometimes used by clinics to covertly promote themselves. It seems like Dr. Bolton's clinic has been caught applying covert marketing tactics on this community.

See "Dr. Brett Bolton - Posters Using Multiple Aliases for Covert Promotion" for more information.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 1 year later...

I have spent some time researching multiple Drs including Bosley, MHR and many NeoGraft offices/clinicians. Currently, I have not yet had a transplant yet. I am looking to make a decision soon.

However, I can tell you what I have learned and why he states the more density. Maybe I have more to learn and am naive. But, it makes sense to me. I have also spoken with 8 of his referrals, several of whom were similar to my pattern loss. I can tell you that no office has been as transparent and open with their procedures and how they do things, as they have been.

I do think it is a somewhat legitimate claim because he, as he and his staff explained to me, unlike many surgeons and transplant centers, doesn't chop up naturally occurring follicle units into singles just for the sake of a "graft".

His contention is that many transplant centers and the industry will take many of those 2, 3 and 4 hair units and make them singles, which obviously reduces your density in the crown/bridge/vertex areas. This keeps patients coming back for multiple procedures because they never get the density on a single procedure and why many patients have 3 to 4 procedures on average.

So, in essence, many unscrupulous clinics will make what should be 1000 grafts into 2500 grafts, rather than focusing on keeping the units, fatty tissue, nerves, together and focusing on density.

So, many of his grafts in the crown/vertex areas may be 4-7 hairs (maybe two 2 units and 1 3 unit) and he leaves them together as they grow naturally, thus having more density.

I have seen the results with many patients on his website, in person and over the phone. He is getting consistently dense results.

For his pricing, he tiers it bases on #hairs and approximate cm of tissue to excise - ranging from 15 cm (2000-3000 hairs), 25 cm(3500-4300), 30cm(4500-5500) and 35 cm (5500-8000) - with the # of hairs depending upon your own density. I guess that ranges from 100-200 hair/cm sq ? So, I guess it will vary in the yield, depending upon the patient.

The only thing that concerned me about this tiering is that it does not seem too scientific to understand the yield you may need since every patient has a different density in the donor area. For instance, I may only be 150 hr/cm sq would only give me 4500 hair or about 2250 follicle units (avg). Where, someone with 200, it may give them 6000 hairs. Therefore, I think they should do some type of densitometer or something to get a better idea since that is the way he prices.

I am considering other options and alternatives, but I have to say that I have been very impressed with this office, the staff, website and the results.

Don't dismiss his density claims out of hand. I think it is somewhat marketing, but also he seems to be changing the way the hair industry markets "grafts" and not true # of hairs, so that there is not as much deception with regard to splicing up follicle units and the patient continually getting on a treadmill of multiple repeat cases.

Edited by NW3VKY

NW3VKY

I recently caught HolySmokes, Stylin, goheat3 and AllAmerican using the same IP address, which is indicative of one person using multiple aliases. This is a tactic sometimes used by clinics to covertly promote themselves. It seems like Dr. B's clinic has been caught applying covert marketing tactics on this community.

Just in case you missed the post before your I thought I would mention it. One of these posters pretending to be a father of a SICK LITTLE GIRL and used this as a way to market his clinic. Absolutely disgusting and the lowest form of scum in my views. Using a sick girl to promote your clinic in order to make more money? What kind of human being could do this and live with themselves? I personally dont understand these kind of people. Its so far out of my way of thinking, its almost like they are animals rather than humans.

Anyways good try. I dont think anyone believes you are an actually poster. People here are to educuated to buy any of the BS you are trying to sell.

LOL at least this will be entertaining.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I tried to reply to this thread but wasn't allowed to.

I have to say.... I'm genuinely interested in seeing a grown up debate about this. I've watched the videos on his website and you can't deny they're very transparent, as good as any I've seen documenting the procedure and impressive follow up results.

And I'm not a newbie, nor can be accused of having a hidden agenda or anything do with 'them'. I'm just genuinely interested in knowing is he any good, and what is peoples beef with him, unscrupulous marketing (newbie posters, double posts) no doubt but what about his ability as a surgeon.....?