Corvettester's Biotin Experience

Gentlemen,

I'd like to update the community on my experience and progress so far with Biotin. For the past 5-6 weeks, I've been taking a Biotin supplement of 6,000mcg once or twice a day with my meals.

Within the first week I noticed that my face and body hair were growing much faster than normal. I went from shaving my face 3x a week to shaving 5x a week. Also, I went from shaving my chest once a week to twice a week (chics dig a shaved chest!).

Funny thing, I had to take the clippers to my leg hair too! LOL! I was wearing shorts recently on a hot day and a couple friends kept cracking jokes on how hairy my legs were. They were right though, I was looking like Teenwolf over here! :cool:

As far as new growth or prevention of hair loss, I can't say. I doubt that Biotin will do anything to prevent hair loss or to regrow any hair that I have already lost due to MPB. I don't think that is the purpose of Biotin.

I think what Biotin is good for is improving that overall quality of the hair that you do have. What I have noticed is that my hair is now much more fuller, of better quality, more alive and more voluminous. My hair feels so much healthier! Also, I feel like it is much more easier to style now and that it looks visibly better.

What's more, I keep catching myself running my hands through my hair, especially the midsection and crown. I've never done this much before, but for some reason I've been doing it frequently since starting Biotin. I actually enjoy it now because my hair has so much more body.

I used to hear women and hair commercials talk about "healthy" hair. I never really understood what they meant. How can hair be healthy? How can you feel it if your hair is healthy? Well, now I know exactly what they mean. My hair feels and looks healthy.

I do hope others will have a similar experience to mine. To give balance, I guess it's fair to theorize that I could have previously suffered from a Biotin Vitamin deficiency, but I think that is doubtful.

So far, I've only used the GNC brand because it had the highest dosage I could find, 6,000mcg. Once I finish this bottle, I'll try the Solgar version to see if I notice any difference...

I'm really interested to hear if anyone else has had a positive or negative experience with Biotin, so please chime in. Are there any brands you recommend? Since I've seen such a dramatic improvement in the quality of my hair, I'll definitely be on this stuff for life.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

did you break out at all corvettester?? ie pimples on the face or hair line?

sorry for the noob question but what is the difference between MSM and biotin? is it the same product in one way or another?

Gentlemen,

I'd like to update the community on my experience and progress so far with Biotin. For the past 5-6 weeks, I've been taking a Biotin supplement of 6,000mcg once or twice a day with my meals.

Within the first week I noticed that my face and body hair were growing much faster than normal. I went from shaving my face 3x a week to shaving 5x a week. Also, I went from shaving my chest once a week to twice a week (chics dig a shaved chest!).

Funny thing, I had to take the clippers to my leg hair too! LOL! I was wearing shorts recently on a hot day and a couple friends kept cracking jokes on how hairy my legs were. They were right though, I was looking like Teenwolf over here! :cool:

As far as new growth or prevention of hair loss, I can't say. I doubt that Biotin will do anything to prevent hair loss or to regrow any hair that I have already lost due to MPB. I don't think that is the purpose of Biotin.

I think what Biotin is good for is improving that overall quality of the hair that you do have. What I have noticed is that my hair is now much more fuller, of better quality, more alive and more voluminous. My hair feels so much healthier! Also, I feel like it is much more easier to style now and that it looks visibly better.

What's more, I keep catching myself running my hands through my hair, especially the midsection and crown. I've never done this much before, but for some reason I've been doing it frequently since starting Biotin. I actually enjoy it now because my hair has so much more body.

I used to hear women and hair commercials talk about "healthy" hair. I never really understood what they meant. How can hair be healthy? How can you feel it if your hair is healthy? Well, now I know exactly what they mean. My hair feels and looks healthy.

I do hope others will have a similar experience to mine. To give balance, I guess it's fair to theorize that I could have previously suffered from a Biotin Vitamin deficiency, but I think that is doubtful.

So far, I've only used the GNC brand because it had the highest dosage I could find, 6,000mcg. Once I finish this bottle, I'll try the Solgar version to see if I notice any difference...

I'm really interested to hear if anyone else has had a positive or negative experience with Biotin, so please chime in. Are there any brands you recommend? Since I've seen such a dramatic improvement in the quality of my hair, I'll definitely be on this stuff for life.

Corvettester

Nothing wrong with a bit of chest trimming my friend. :)

Might give this stuff a go.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=10024&WebID=2832

October 2011 - 1647 FUT - Dr Dorin

January 2014 - 1580 FUT - Dr Dorin

did you break out at all corvettester?? ie pimples on the face or hair line?

sorry for the noob question but what is the difference between MSM and biotin? is it the same product in one way or another?

Chael,

Quite the opposite. If anything, I believe that Biotin reduces the likelihood of breakouts and acne. From what I understand, Biotin is also good for the skin and fingernails, as well as the hair.

Of course, I've been starting to get pimples in the recipient zone because the new FUs are just now starting to sprout 2 months post-op. It was the same after my first procedure, before I was on Biotin. It got really bad around 3-4 months post-op, but stabilized by month 6.

I don't know much about MSM. I always thought that it was for joint issues and inflammation, but don't quote me on that...

Either way, I really can't speak highly enough of Biotin. I wasn't expecting such a noticeable difference. There is no possible way that I'm experiencing any sort of placebo effect. Since starting Biotin, the difference in my hair quality is appreciable.

Corvettester

^^^ thanks for your response buddy.

i will give it a try,

im currently on proscar, saw pal and will be commencing rogaine foam 14 days post op. the biotin i think will be a good addition..

I ordered NOW Foods Biotin 5000mcg from Amazon on Friday - it should arrive today. I will reply to this thread if I notice any changes/improvements.

MSM is supposed to grow hair faster, but there is no scientific evidence that it darkens or thickens hair.

MSM and Biotin both seem to be popular with African American folks - I've read through a few "black hair" forums, where black men and ladies have both reported having thicker hair after using MSM and/or Biotin.

Quite a few Biotin users report that you have to drink a lot of water with it, because it supposedly brings impurities to the surface more rapidly.

Edited by SugarHighs

Corv,

Interestingly, Biotin is the #2 selling vitamin on Amazon, overall.

It's ahead of even the Centrum and One-a-Day multivitamins, which I would have assumed would be much better sellers. That's not proof it's effective, but I guess it means it's very popular.

Ah Vettester,

When you do something, I see you hold nothing back...lol.

I admire that. Why do I think i am going to see you as a hair model on a magazine some day.

Thanks for the information. You are always very good about not only trying things, but keeping everyone informed.

Remember, I got my first HT about the same time as your 2nd. I look up to you. :)

Continued good luck.

My Hair Loss Web Site

FUT - 8/12/11 - Dr. Keller - Chicago - 3140 grafts

365 singles, 375 doubles, & 2400 multiple hair grafts

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

MSM and Biotin work great together. Take 5000-7500 mcg of Biotin daily and 1500-3000 mg of MSM.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

MSM and Biotin work great together. Take 5000-7500 mcg of Biotin daily and 1500-3000 mg of MSM.

Hey RC,

Any preference/suggestion on brands? I buy a lot of NOW supplements already.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

Funny, I just logged on to post the same thing. I am starting the brand "NOW" Biotin today. Good luck to you ziggy

My Hair Loss Web Site

I'm still going strong on the Biotin too. I continue to see improvement in the quality and overall health of my hair. I'm so sold on it!

I'll be starting MSM next week to see if I can't get my hair growing faster and / or any more improvements in quality or texture... I'll keep everyone posted for sure.

Corvettester

I've been on it for about 4 months now. Not sure if I notice anything different. Could be that I'm still regaining back some of my shocked hair from the transplant. I'll stay on it for the long haul and maybe after this transplant grows in I'll be in a better position to say whether it's working or not.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Are there any potential downsides to taking Biotin? How do you decide how much to take? (I have seen a wide range of recommendations). I am thinking about it but just unsure. Thanks for any advice.

Edited by orlhair1

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Hey RC,

Any preference/suggestion on brands? I buy a lot of NOW supplements already.

I just get the Spring Valley brand at Walmart.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I just get the Spring Valley brand at Walmart.

Thanks RC. I got the NOW brand on amazon. Been on it for a week now.

My Hair Loss Web Site

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am a hairdresser with 37 years in the business. I own my salon. I have experienced hair loss myself for a long time. It's especially devastating being 'in the business.' I started taking biotin years ago when only 50 were recommended. I now take 5000. Be careful though, as some brands, to get 5000, you have to take 2 horse pills! Biotin DOES work. I have recommended it to my clients for years and I have seen the difference first hand. Since my salon also does manicures, we also see the results in how fast their nails grow, and how much stronger the nails are. I never heard before to take it with msm. I thought msm also makes you sleepy? I did notice some skin problems from biotin on myself, but no clients have mentioned it.

I also work with the after effects from chemo hair loss, with wigs etc..The 'new' chemo drugs that work directly onto fast growing cells, affect the hair very differently than the 'traditional' chemo. My husband completed 13 months of targeted chemo pill therapy, last Christmas, (2010) and it was interesting to watch his hair transformation! (The rest of the side effects were very difficult to deal with however) He lost his hair the first 3 months, then it came back, thicker, darker and curly! I'm wondering if there will be any research on the hair effects from targeted chemo therapy! But the other side effects from chemo are not worth the good hair effects. They're pretty bad..He's in remission now and is back to 'normal'. (white, thin, straight hair! He could be bald and we wouldn't care!) Ironically the stress of dealing with his cancer, also made me lose my hair faster too!

I use scalp camouflage but I don't think it's good for the follicles as they need to 'breathe'. Camouflage can clog, so the hair cannot push through. Hense products like Nioxin, that clean the scalp well. I try not to use them daily, but it's hard to let my shiny scalp show through at work.

I have done hair 'extensions' in the past but when someone is very thin, any attachment methods are very noticeable with the exception of tapes and glues, and they are very hard on the hair that's remaining. I am now starting to work with integration systems. I have tried only one and it was really nice but I cannot afford to get the whole introductory kit for my salon right now, as it's expensive.(several 'samples', displays etc) And those clients don't like to sit near someone that's getting their hair done that has a nice head of hair. Integration systems are a hairpiece or full wig that sits on top of the hair. The weft is very loose and the rows can be as far as 1 inch apart. No clips, glues or fusion is needed. It stays on the head by gently pulling your own hair through the wefts. You do need some of your own hair for them to stay on better. Clips can be used but can add extra bulk which can make them look 'fake.' The pieces that are made of human hair, do blend better with your own hair though.

I thought I would join this site to see what is available for myself. After reading these posts however, my latest idea of a laser does not seem to be a good one. My daughter is getting married in June and I want to look my best!:)

I'd love to hear about other 'systems' that do work.