Surgery with Shapiro tomorrow. Need encouragement & good thoughts.

multiplier

Here goes nothing.

As it says in my bio, I'm 36, experienced hairloss for about 10 years. Got an FUT at MHR in 2000 of about 800 grafts. Been on finasteride all of that time except part of this year when I've been on/off the meds because of side effects which I now believe to have been stress-related. I do use Nizoral and Rogaine foam.

In any case, I've cut my hair short on top in preparation for tomorrow's surgery and am seeing it for the first time in all its thinning, non-Toppik glory.

preop.jpg

The plan with Dr Paul Shapiro is to do around 2500 grafts tomorrow and another 2500 in about a year. My density and laxity is about average.

So yeah, I'm feeling a bit nervous. In the past year, I've moved, changed jobs, gotten a marriage separation, changed jobs again, and now I'm getting this surgery. I'm hoping it all goes well and in 6-8 months gets me halfway closer to my goal. I'm not expecting miracles. I'm just trying to stay positive that the procedure and yield will be good.

Any encouragement is appreciated. I will update again tomorrow with pictures.

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

Good luck...SMG is a great place! Sometimes in life we need something to give us hope and I feel getting back your hair will definitely give you some hope considering you have apparently gone through stressful times...good luck and please keep us all posted!!!

One thing is for sure... Tommorow at this time, you will feel like a new man! Great doc and staff. I just had mine done there on the 1st of this month. I had the same jitters and nervousness. It was an extremely fluid and efficient process.. I was glad to have a day out of the office, even if I was being stabbed in the head a few thousand times!! Lol

multiplier ~

Wow! It just seems like yesterday we chatted in the waiting area at SMG. Can't believe how fast this day has come.

I would say good luck for tomorrow but you don't really need it. I know you are in great hands. The next few weeks will be uncomfortable and the ugly duckling period won't be fun. But hang tough and you'll be in for a treat in the end.

All the best my friend! And keep the forums posted...

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I appreciate you guys' support - seriously. It has been a shaky year for me and it feels stressful to be going through this surgery in the midst of it, but I feel like it's now or never. I'm in a new town and I have 6 weeks off work so there won't be a better opportunity to lay low and get through the ugly phase.

I will post again tomorrow with a write-up... Thanks for the kinds words and encouragement.

My Hairloss Blog »

Six weeks is good for recovery... Yeah, do this thang!

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Hey Multiplier--

You're really in great and expert hands. As you may know, I'm a patient of Dr. Ron Shapiro and had a 3,700 graft procedure back in March.

I am nothing but thrilled and satisfied with my results. From the images, we both have the same kind of hair and balding pattern.

Really, don't sweat it. It should be a breeze. After wards, you'll wonder why you were so worried.

6 months from now, you'll be as happy as a clam watching your new hairline grow in-- and as a bonus, it will be right before spring when it really starts to come in so you can expect to enjoy the new hair next summer.

As for the stress, changing jobs etc-- I feel for you there. Been through the same thing myself (changed job and moved, but still with same company). It's tough, but you can make it.

Look forward to next spring and the new look.

Hal

I am nothing but thrilled and satisfied with my results. From the images, we both have the same kind of hair and balding pattern.

Really, don't sweat it. It should be a breeze. After wards, you'll wonder why you were so worried.

6 months from now, you'll be as happy as a clam watching your new hairline grow in-- and as a bonus, it will be right before spring when it really starts to come in so you can expect to enjoy the new hair next summer

Just what I was hoping to hear :) Thanks Hal and everyone. Will update again tomorrow evening.

My Hairloss Blog »

Surgery went quite smoothly today, especially considering how nervous I was and how my luck has been running lately. SMG ran like a well-oiled machine.

The only downside is that because of the size of my previous (MHR) scar and the shockloss around it, I was only able to get around 1400 grafts because much of the work was spent shrinking the old scar to a manageable state rather than excising it. My second procedure next year according to Dr Paul will yield something much greater like 2500, which is fine, I can wait, but I was slightly bummed at the circumstances, which weren't SMG's fault anyway. Overall, an amazingly smooth experience which I will blog more about with pictures either tonight or tomorrow....

My Hairloss Blog »

Great...glad everything went well...we all look forward to your blog and pictures. Don't sweat about the FU count...sometimes things need to be corrected before moving ahead...so consider this a huge first step and next year you will finalize it! Good stuff and congrats!!! I hope this starts a string of good luck for u!

Don't sweat about the FU count...sometimes things need to be corrected before moving ahead...so consider this a huge first step and next year you will finalize it!

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that Capelli. I think it's common with people who have average density and previous procedures with inferior docs to need to start smaller at first. But Dr Paul was quite detailed about why this was and what will be different next time. I plan on returning in 9 months to get the coverage I'll need. Like I said, I don't expect miracles. Hell, I don't even mind using a bit of concealer now and again. I just want to get away from the patchiness / scalp visibility I have now when my hair is short.

I'd write more, but the 3 hours of sleep I managed last night + the 3 Valiums I've had today are making me feel loopy :)

Edited by multiplier

My Hairloss Blog »

I agree, you are in good hands. I have seen impressive stuff by Dr. Shapiro. Try to get a good rest, I was so anxious when I had to get my transplant that I stayed awake the whole night. I kept reading the forums. It was my first procedure and I didn't know what to expect. Was so tired / exhausted, after such a long procedure, wouldn't have been if I had slept the night before. Good luck and keep us posted. Wish you the best.

Keep your head up Multi...maybe the 1400 will give you the result you want and you won't even have to go back..but if you do you will at least go in knowing what you are looking for and will have great success with Dr Shapiro!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Congrats multiplier! I can understand why you are bummed about the graft count but SMG always seems to make the most out of the smaller sessions. Those damn crappy first procedures! Ugh, I feel your pain. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

multiplier,

I'm very happy to hear your procedure went smoothly today. Sorry to hear they were they were unable to harvest a larger number of grafts but at least you are on your way. Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

All the best mate. With everything that you've been through the thought of thicker hair can only be a positive and will give you hope and something to look forward to.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk