Invitation to Participate in HRS Enhancement Investigation

Bill,

Dr. Wesley is very transparent in regard to his tools and techniques that he uses in his current practice. However, his new method is still in the development / trail phase and it would be tantamount to intellectual property suicide for him to reveal it to the public, in my opinion.

From what I understand, when FUE was developed, the technique wasn't shared with the HT industry. So, the HT industry responded with extreme skepticism and denounced it as dangerous, reckless and unethical, because they simply didn't know how to do it... and how to make money off of it!

From what I've heard, the HTN too was among those establishments that were skeptical of FUE when it first arrived and cautioned against it. However, once doctors figured out how to do it, it was adopted widespread and now it's highly regarded.

Therefore, if history is any indicator of the future, I think it would be unwise for Dr. Wesley to share his new technique with the general public, just yet. I told him as much... I can imagine how every HT doc in the business is going to jump on this and claim that they are a pioneer in the new technique, blah blah blah...

Dr. Wesley is under no moral or ethical obligation to reveal his new technique with the HTN or any online community. He should guard it closely until the trials have been completed both for his personal stake, but also so as to not generate any unnecessary hysteria or false hopes among the community.

I mean, how often do we hear about "The next big thing" in hair restoration, just to see it putter out? Well, I do think this is the next big thing, because it's an extension of FUT/FUE technique, and not some esoteric, theoretical lab experiment.

The good news though, it's been in development for three years now, so once the trials are done, which should be in the next 6 months or so, it will simply be a matter of putting it all together for adoption. Dr. Wesley is hoping to have everything completed and ready for adoption by this time next year. So be patient...

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

corvettester,

I agree that at this early stage, it may not be necessary to share all the details of his new technique. However, as it evolves, I'm sure the members of this community would appreciate to know the details, especially since they're being asked to participate in trials.

Furthermore, in general, physicians who keep their technique a secret (after trials are completed as necessary) aren't typically approved for recommendation here as this community expects its recommended physicians to be 100% transparent about their procedure. Hiding critical details from patients is potentially dangerous.

Back to Dr. Wesley, I agree that at this early stage, it may not be necessary or required. However, I am still encouraging him to share as many details as he can since as of now, no details have been shared.

Best Regards,

Bill

Bill,

I agree with your request for transparency, but this is very sensitive information. Dr. Wesley is no longer asking for participants, he has all that he needs. Also, he does plan on releasing details soon. He is actually very eager to do so because he is so excited about this technology, but he is waiting to do it when he feels comfortable enough, and protected enough to do so. This technology is 100% his, it would not be prudent to release sensitive information to the public at this time. It's his baby, and he needs to protect it, FOR NOW. All will be revealed shortly, he told me this yesterfay when i consulted with him.

-Trees

2/14/2011 Surgery #1 Dr. Ivan Cohen - 1539 grafts, 1's - 475

2's - 989

3's - 75

2/20/2012 Surgery #2 Dr. Carlos Wesley - 2570 grafts

Fakeplstctrees says this will not replace fut/fue yet it has no scarring and yield as good as fut. If its not going to replace fut/fue is it because there is some type of a downside? Otherwise why on earth wouldn't it replace them? Also, Im trying to imagine what other way there could be to get a graft out of the scalp. Perhaps a Nair type formula that makes the graft fall out but doesn't kill it. Anyway, I look forward to hearing the rest of the details. I hope we're not going to be teased much longer.

Levrais,

Good questions...

What Fakeplastictrees meant was that it's simply going to be so expensive that FUT will always be an option for a lot patients, especially the younger ones who haven't really started in on their careers or even people from developing countries whose money isn't worth much relative to the dollar.

Hopefully over time, the price will lower, but that usually takes a long time...

As for the downsides, the price is the major one. Another one is that it doesn't address the issue of donor supply. So no matter what, when you remove FUs, there won't be hair in the area where the FUs are removed. However, this will be minimized in the same manner as FUE by spreading it throughout the entire head, except without the punctate scars and without having to shave the donor or recipient area!

Cool stuff right?

No, it's nothing like Nair or any type of formula. It is a technique for removing hair. There are no formulas, ACell, cloning or any type of medication, plasma or anything like that. Think of it as an improved technique to extract the FUs. The only thing that is needed are new tools, and a new approach to extract them...

Ok, I'll say no more... my lips are sealed! It's coming soon enough.

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

...Compelling stuff, i'm a little more excited about this sort of development than say acell, histogen, replicell etc as it's development in an other way, or is that because i don't know enough about the technique yet so it is more intriguing than anything, i don't know...

I just hope these new and exciting times, these page turners; these chapter makers and hope creaters turn into more than just forum post creations.

Good luck everyone!

57mph

It does sound exciting and from what has been posted here, I think Dr. Wesley is wise not to post the details until he has completed his trials and is satisfied the procedure is scalable and produces the results it seems like it will. Additionally, since he developed it he has every right to protect his investment and everyone should respect that. I am sure that once he has done those things he will happily share everything and that his technique will spread to other doctors. Until the price point comes down, no doubt FUT will be around for a long time regardless of how successful the new technique is, especially since FUT has such a successful outcome itself. I must say that the thought of no scarring to speak of and a very rapid recovery is very exciting for the future!

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I believe 57 mph comments were directed toward me. If they were I would like to clarify what I actually said compared to what is apparently his lack of reading ability. I said and im paraphasing - stem cells are the future of medicine and there is no reason to believe this would not include hairloss-. It amsuses me he made the comment "this is incorrect", as he is speaking completely ignorantly as he has no knowledge of the results, unless he can see into the future of course. This is just a blank satement that cant be substantiated by any empiracle facts. The following statement is indicative of his thought process. "i'm a little more excited about this sort of development than say acell, histogen, replicell etc as it's development in an other way, or is that because i don't know enough about the technique yet so it is more intriguing than anything". Just because you are more excited about one thing does not mean that in any way im right or wrong. My statement of "stem cells are the future of medicine" is substantiated by the tens of millions of dollars the hopsital I work fpr spent on stem cell development research in 2010. Also my statement is substantiated by fellow perfusionists and surgeons that are concered about the viability of the profession as theoretically stem cells could replace all forms of surgery that I am aware of. The difference between our comments is, mine are based on fact and not emotion.

I want to make this clear. I think hair transplantation is the best current treatment for hairloss period. If doctor Wesley has developed a better way of doing this i think it is great news. If the publication of replicel shows bad results I will be the first in line to schedule a transplant. I just wanted people to be aware a revolutionary treatment COULD have been discovered, there is nothing irresponsible about that.

DISpHAIR, my post wasn't directed directly to you no, but to everyone who might be reading the thread, that's how forums work you see.

If i was directly speaking to you i'd have pm'd you or at the very least started my post with you profile name (see my post here for clarification) but never mind.

Ok, so back to thread...

Hey, I am not an authority figure in anyway, but I don't like any animosity on here, we are all here to help each other, not attack one another. I suggest the two of you do this privately, and not on the public forum. Negativity is NOT welcome here.

2's - 989

3's - 75

Hey everybody, I was mistaken earlier when I said that Dr. Wesley is no longer taking new test subjects for his trials. He is no longer accepting people who have undergone FUT/Strip surgery, he has as many of us as he needs. He is still taking people with "Virgin" scalps, those who have not yet had surgery. I am not sure about those who have had FUE surgery though. Sorry for the miscommunication. If you are still interested, and meet the criteria, contact him via email.

Cheers,

-Trees

2's - 989

3's - 75

• 3 months later...

Thanks for everyone's participation on this highly intriguing topic.

I had the privilege of meeting and speaking with Dr. Wesley in person and just recently, spoke with him via Skype video conferencing to learn more about the new technique he's innovating to eliminate hair transplant scarring.

While he certainly has his work cut out for him in the phases to come, I'm very excited about what he's done so far and seeing how this develops in the coming months.

Dr. Wesley has every intention of sharing his new technique in great detail with our patient community. However, after speaking with him, I can certainly understand why he's waiting until his trials in all phases of the procedure are complete.

I know we all look forward to learning more as Dr. Wesley's innovative technique to eliminate scarring evolves. But ultimately, if it works like we all hope, it could truly revolutionize the hair transplant profession.

Best wishes,

Bill

I'm very excited to see what it is! While I'm glad Dr. Wesley is waiting for everything to be complete, I'm very curious as to what he is up to! ;)

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand the secrecy here. If you patent a medical procedure, even patent pending, you can share the details of how it works freely without losing any of your intellectual property protection.

Therefore I see no benefit in keeping the process so secretive.

Everything and Nothing is a secret on these hairloss forums, it's that you have to sift through the all and nothing to get to the good stuff and even then it may end up bumff, ie rubbish!

Let's see where this one goes...

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a random theory I came up with (I have no idea what this could be):

Skin and hair is taken with a punch from the donor area (similar size to what you end up with after slicing up the grafts in a strip procedure). Skin is also taken with an equivalent sized punch from the recipient area. The punch from the donor area is then placed into the recipient area, and the punch from the recipient area is placed back into the donor area.

This means that both the donor and recipient area heal in the same way that the Recipient area does right now - which also means no scarring, and no white spots - because there is still normal skin there. It also means that the yield should be quite similar to what you get from Strip because there is plenty of skin left on the graft.

So, this combines the best of FUE and Strip? The yield of Strip, the non-linear scar of FUE - and also potentially leaves no scar whatsoever.

Thoughts? :-)

Here's a random theory I came up with (I have no idea what this could be):

Skin and hair is taken with a punch from the donor area (similar size to what you end up with after slicing up the grafts in a strip procedure). Skin is also taken with an equivalent sized punch from the recipient area. The punch from the donor area is then placed into the recipient area, and the punch from the recipient area is placed back into the donor area.

This means that both the donor and recipient area heal in the same way that the Recipient area does right now - which also means no scarring, and no white spots - because there is still normal skin there. It also means that the yield should be quite similar to what you get from Strip because there is plenty of skin left on the graft.

So, this combines the best of FUE and Strip? The yield of Strip, the non-linear scar of FUE - and also potentially leaves no scar whatsoever.

Thoughts? :-)

That's good thinking, and I believe it would make for less scar, but I'm thinking you would still see a white circle similar to any cut you get to the skin.

I'm also thinking it would add to the price of FUE, something that is already out of the reach of a lot of us.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

OK, I am actually having a full 2200 graft procedure with Wesley on Monday morning, via FUT. I am also a participant in the clinical trial of his new technique. I like how you guys are developing theories, it shows good imagination, but you are not even close to how the new technique will work.

Dr. Wesley does not make patients sign legal disclaimers for his new offered technique, and there is a very good reason for this. HE DOES NOT OFFER the new technique. So there can be no patients receiving it. He is still in the developmental stages of the technique, he has a way to go before he even receives FDA approval. As a participant in the trial, I am privvy to all of the details of the new technique, and also as a participant, I had to sign LOTS of paperwork.

Guys keep on using your god given imagination and creativity, you may very well figure it out on your own at some point, but so far, as imaginative as you have been, you are not even close to it. When you do find out what the technique is, your minds will be blown, because it is so logical that you won't believe you never thought of it on your own. And it WILL revolutionize the hair transplantation industry. Just be patient, and one you will be a patient.

2's - 989

3's - 75

Guys keep on using your god given imagination and creativity, you may very well figure it out on your own at some point, but so far, as imaginative as you have been, you are not even close to it. When you do find out what the technique is, your minds will be blown, because it is so logical that you won't believe you never thought of it on your own. And it WILL revolutionize the hair transplantation industry. Just be patient, and one you will be a patient.

nuff said ..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, everyone. Thank you for your interest in the investigation. While I can't guarantee that the idea will "blow everyone's mind", I do believe in it and hope that, ultimately, it will provide a logical approach to addressing the various imperfections of current methods in our field.

I'd just like to provide an update on the anticipated timeline. We are hoping to carry out a follow-up investigation near the end of this summer with the hope of having the instrument available for more widespread use in late 2013.

The secrecy surrounding this instrument isn't intended to provoke a response, but simply to ensure that we better understand how everything works prior to making it available. It's true what "England" points out that patents should enable freedom to disclose, however, as I am an individual physician with an idea that I've been slowly and carefully developing for nearly 4 years now, I just simply wouldn't have the pocketbook to protect the intellectual property if a large group with considerable resources capitalized at this early stage.

I appreciate your interest and I'll be sure and keep the community updated on progress!