Invitation to Participate in HRS Enhancement Investigation

Dear HTN community,

I am writing to invite you to participate in a very exciting investigation that I truly believe will improve the overall field of hair restoration surgery. Our clinical trial has received approval from the Investigational Review Board and may lead to both increased graft survival as well as elimination of any donor area scarring (i.e. less than FUE). For your participation, you will receive a limited number of “grafts” (transplanted hair follicles) at no charge.

Patients interested in taking part in this endeavor must be able to travel to the office of Dr. Carlos K. Wesley located at 710 Park Avenue, New York, NY, USA. Both the 30-minute informative consultation and the 1-to-2-hour investigative procedure will be carried out in our surgical facility. For more information about how to participate, please contact me directly via email: carloskw@aya.yale.edu.

Warm regards,

ckw

--

Carlos K. Wesley, MD

710 Park Avenue

New York, NY 10021

Edited by Carlos K. Wesley, M.D.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you to those who have privately expressed interest in participating. The anticipated dates of the study are September-December 2011. You can learn more about the investigated method at:

Hair Transplantation by Carlos K. Wesley, MD

Dr. Wesley,

I took the liberty of sharing the details of the upcoming study on our popular Hair Loss Q & A blog. Hopefully, this will help "spread the news" and allow you to attract a statistically significant participant population.

Feel free to read the announcement here: Dr. Carlos Wesley Begins Clinical Trials to Investigation Hair Transplant Scar Reduction and Follicular Unit Graft Survival Enhancement

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Dr. Wesley,

I encourage you to share more details about this clinical study on this forum. Since all surgery produces at least some scarring and we all know that the FUT procedure produces a linear scar, how to you propose to significantly minimize the appearance of this scar even far beyond what the trichophytic closure technique can achieve?

I hope and trust you'll be willing to share the details of your study with this community for the purpose of ongoing education and continued improvement in the hair restoration industry.

Best wishes,

Bill

Dr. Wesley,

I encourage you to share more details about this clinical study on this forum. Since all surgery produces at least some scarring and we all know that the FUT procedure produces a linear scar, how to you propose to significantly minimize the appearance of this scar even far beyond what the trichophytic closure technique can achieve?

I hope and trust you'll be willing to share the details of your study with this community for the purpose of ongoing education and continued improvement in the hair restoration industry.

Best wishes,

Bill

I agree Bill. I would love to see some photos and evidence of the study.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Hi, community.

As those with whom I've been able to chat in person since my initial post know, I really do enjoy explaining everything in detail and fully answering any questions people may have regarding the study.

Sorry about appearing so "cloak-and-dagger" about this study. It is certainly not my intention. I am truly just trying to be responsible for how I present proprietary information as well as being thorough in describing the steps involved (since 2008) that led up to the trial.

Finally, patients needn't commit to being involved in the investigation to learn more about its merit. While I can best demonstrate features of the concept in person, I am also willing to share details with interested folks outside of NYC via Skype at a mutually-convenient time.

A sincere thanks to all for their interest!

Carlos K. Wesley, M.D.

• 3 weeks later...

I had this done last month .

Dr. Wesley taught me some interesting things about hair and it's structure . I was able to see the grafts before they were implanted .They looked like nice intact follicular unit grafts . Pretty interesting to see different types of grafts next to each other .

If you are interested in checking this out it was a breeze in my opinion .

It is good to see that there are more options becoming available to patients . Being a repair patient I appreciate the new techniques coming out .

Nice...congrats...can you describe to everyone how the procedure was performed? How is this method different from the current ones out there already?! I'm sure all of us would love to know. Thanks!

I just got back from a consultation with Dr. Wesley where he presented his new technique to me. I must say that I am very impressed, it looks very promising. It's so simple, yet genius.

It was one of those moments where it just hits you and you say "Aha!" His new technique puts FUT/FUE to shame. I'm actually surprised that no one has thought of it before now... maybe they have, but he's actually putting it to practice.

Honestly, I think his new technique has the potential to completely replace FUT/FUE in less than 5 years. For serious!

Based on what I know about FUT/FUE, this is the natural and logical next step. It builds off all of the principles and groundwork laid by FUT/FUE, and improves upon them. It's nothing complicated at all, which is why it looks so encouraging. There is nothing unusual or particularly difficult about it, when you compare it to FUT/FUE or any other procedures in the medical field.

Of all the new ideas and technology in the HT market, this easily is the best, most realistic and practical that I have seen. What's more, it appears very close to becoming a reality within the next year or two. To me, there is hardly anything theoretical about Dr. Wesley's new technique, it's nothing like cloning, PRP or ACell... it's just a better way of doing things. I think he just has to finish the clinical trials and then put it on the market.

I won't say anything about the actual technique as I believe that that is Dr. Wesely's prerogative. He mentioned that he was going to be more forthcoming in the next couple months, once he gets the trials finished.

I will say this though, it's a new technique that is a significantly better way of extracting grafts. Here is what it improves on...

1. Graft Yield. The grafts suffer very little trauma... same level of FUT if not less.

2. Lowers Transection Dramatically from FUE/FUT.

3. No linear Scar like FUT. No punctate scar like FUE.

4. Minimally Invasie, even less than FUE... and of course, much less invasive than FUT!

5. The grafts are out of the head for only a short amount of time... we're talking minutes.

6. No shaving of donor or recipient area.

It does NOT replicate or multiply FUs. So you are still limited by your donor supply. Therefore, I think NW7s and Diffuse Thinners are still out of luck. Also, it will still deplete the donor area so it does nothing to address the problem of donor supply. You either got it or you don't.

I'm definitely not one to hypothesize what will be the next big break through in medicine, technology or culture, however, I have a lot of faith in this technique redefining hair restoration. To me, it basically fulfills everything FUE promised to be, yet didn't deliver... time will tell if I'm right.

Of course, I could be wrong. It's just that what is so different about this is that it is a technique, not some new laser, plasma or medication that we hear about every couple months. It's just a better way of doing things is the only way I can describe it. So of course, we're going to have to wait until the trails are over to know for sure... but it's looking good so far.

Like I said, I won't mention the actual technique so don't ask. Dr. Wesley will be publishing his findings soon enough. He has every right to protect his intellectual property. I told him that he shouldn't publish it all... at least not until it's ready for mass adoption.

However, when he does publish the outcome, you'll be surprised at how simple it really is, yet it makes so much sense. I don't blame him for holding off on his technique because the man is sitting on a goldmine.

You heard it here first...:cool:

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Thanks for the update Corvettester! However, now I'm extremely curious.

Dr. Wesley, is there any way you can provide the community with an update, or is the information still a bit sensitive due to the nature of the clinical trials? Would it be possible to discuss the procedure through a different medium (private message, telephone, etc)?? I'd love to hear more!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Blake,

You'd dig it the most!

The more I think about it, I see the new technique as an extension of FUE, but with a the yield of FUT, and none of the scaring from either procedure.

This is one of the main reasons it's so appealing. So many people are put off by the linear scar form FUT. This new technique will make that a thing of the past.

I even got to see some photos of the extracted grafts... they looked just like FUT grafts, if not healthier! When you compare FUT grafts next to FUE grafts, you can see why FUT has such better yield.

There are also implications for potentially denser packing sessions... but that is still an unknown at this point.

The only downside I see from it is that it's going to be prohibitively expensive for most people. It will easily match the price of FUE, possibly a little more initially, but I'm sure over time it will lower.

Remember my review of Dr. Wesley a few months ago? I told you that this guy was going to be big! LOL!

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

Corv - you're such a tease! I'm trying to brainstorm about what Dr. Wesley could possibly be up to and I'm coming up empty. Can't wait to see what this is all about.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I must say that my curiosity is piqued! I can't even imagine what this procedure entails but I'm sure I can't afford it so I'll just have to root for all the guys that will ultimately benefit from this if and when it becomes available.

Congratulation Dr. Wesley! It sounds as if you've got a revolutionary technique on your hands.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I remember in my consult with Dr. Wesley that he told me some details on this procedure. Like Corv said it is the best of both worlds with FUT yield but no linear scar. When he told me a little about the procedure I was like duh...why hasn't this been thought of before?! But like all other inventions throughout history...once you hear about something that improves something, you always say to yourself why didn't I think of that?! This technique proves that theory. I don't know the medical details as to the actual results but in theory (high level) it sounds extremely promising and I CAN NOT wait to see and hear about the clinical results as I am curious to see if the theory would equate to actual results. The only issue is like Corv said it would be quite pricey I would imagine and would probably be for the new wave of HT candidates not the ones who are considering it right now as I would love to have this surgery but can't really wait a few more years for it to be perfected...but I'm still very excited!!!

As I mentioned briefly in my post a few weeks ago, I am a participant in this trial. Corvettester summed it up perfectly and I don't really have much to add. I am extremely excited by the technique.

About the trial:

Prior to the trial Dr. Wesley walked me through every aspect of his technique and the procedure itself. In fact I learn more and more about HT in general during each and every one of our conversations (wish I knew some of this prior to my first HT!). The trial was a breeze and Dr. Wesley and his staff have superb patient care.

Again I am extremely excited by this technique as it appears to be an elegant solution to the drawbacks of FUT and FUE as Corvettester has already indicated.

Edited by Vinny1980

Greetings my friends,

I met with Dr. Wesley this afternoon. I have some good news, and some bad news. His new technique, which I will not under any circumstances describe to any of you, is nothing short of brilliant. Let me compare it to music. The most difficult thing a musician can do, is to write a simple song. The more simple, the more difficult. Dr Wesley has developed a new technology that is so simple, that it would take a true visionary to imagine it. Not only has he imagined it, but he is bringing his vision to fruition. I am still blown away by how revolutionary his technique will be in this industry, he literally will change everything. I am not exaggerating, scars are going to be a thing of the past, and he can even correct pre-existing scars. He will be able to deliver almost complete yield on harvested follicles, as there will literally be no trauma to the stem. Future patients will get the results that a FUT provides, with even less scarring than a FUE procedure, and by less scarring I should say no scarring. OK, this is the good news, now the bad news.

Dr. Wesley had put out a call to all of us to volunteer to participate in his clinical trials, so he could provide the FDA with proven results to receive approval. Many, many of us responded to him. Those who did, and have scheduled a consultation, and agreed to be his test subjects, will receive 100 to 150 FU's for their participation. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but he will no longer be taking new participants for his clinical trials, the window is closed. So please do not offer to participate, you will not only be wasting your own time, but Dr. Wesley's as well. Trust me, his time is very valuable. He has an actual practice of performing FUT and FUE procedures, and is also going to be incredibly busy fully developing his new method. This isn't even bad news, it's just a notice that no new participants will be accepted. And he is working on changing the game, and that is incredible news.

I immediately liked Dr. Wesley, and could tell how excited he is about his new method, he makes it impossible to not share in his excitement. This is truly some cool stuff, and when HE decides to release the details of the new method, all of you will be excited, and your minds will be blown. I had the "I can't believe no one has thought of this yet" feeling the entire duration of the consultation. I know that there have been forum members who have made some pretty bold statements about "new" technology, and that it will replace tried and true methods like the Strip procedure, and Follicular Unit Extraction. Those members were irresponsible to make such statements, and were totally incorrect. The already existing procedures are always going to be relevant, and provide excellent results, so don't confuse me with those other members to make those irresponsible statements. However, I will boldly state that Dr. Wesley has developed a new approach to Hair Restoration, that utilizes the best aspects of already existing methods, and this new approach is going to change it all.

He will harvest Follicular Units without traumatizing them, leave practically no scar, and provide the same type of yield as the Golden Standard, the Strip Method. Just wait until he makes this information public, your jaws will drop. I am just so thrilled to know that there are people in this world with such vision and talent, and I met one of them today. Prepare yourselves to be totally astonished!!!

-Trees

P.S. He likes Radiohead, and has seen Thom Yorke in concert. That goes a long way in my book.

2/14/2011 Surgery #1 Dr. Ivan Cohen - 1539 grafts, 1's - 475

2's - 989

3's - 75

2/20/2012 Surgery #2 Dr. Carlos Wesley - 2570 grafts

Dr. Wesley,

My apologies for not contacting you sooner to discuss this. But while we work on finding a convenient time for both of us to discuss the details of this procedure privately, I strongly encourage you to share the details with this community. Ultimately, this community expects physicians recommended on the Hair Transplant Network to be transparent regarding their tools and techniques.

Thus, I hope now that you've generated curiousity that you'll return with the details of this procedure and share them.

Best wishes,

Bill

I'm a little puzzled by some of the comments from people who are privy to the details. Fakeplstctrees says this will not replace fut/fue yet it has no scarring and yield as good as fut. If its not going to replace fut/fue is it because there is some type of a downside? Otherwise why on earth wouldn't it replace them? Also, Im trying to imagine what other way there could be to get a graft out of the scalp. Perhaps a Nair type formula that makes the graft fall out but doesn't kill it. Anyway, I look forward to hearing the rest of the details. I hope we're not going to be teased much longer.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

I know that there have been forum members who have made some pretty bold statements about "new" technology, and that it will replace tried and true methods like the Strip procedure, and Follicular Unit Extraction. Those members were irresponsible to make such statements, and were totally incorrect. The already existing procedures are always going to be relevant, and provide excellent results, so don't confuse me with those other members to make those irresponsible statements. However, I will boldly state that Dr. Wesley has developed a new approach to Hair Restoration, that utilizes the best aspects of already existing methods, and this new approach is going to change it all.

Trees,

I could be wrong, but I think you were referring to my original post on this thread making "irresponsible" statements when I said:

Honestly, I think his new technique has the potential to completely replace FUT/FUE in less than 5 years. For serious!

Well, I stand behind my statements with full confidence. I do believe it has the potential to replace FUT/FUE in the next couple years because who would want to get FUT with the long, linear scar and the trauma and recovery period, or FUE with the punctate scars and a potential for lower yield?

If this technique works, which I think it will, the only people who will opt for FUT/FUE will be those who simply cannot afford it. Dr. Wesley's method is going to be as expensive as FUE, if not more. If you're a patient needing 5,000 grafts, you're easily looking at a 50k procedure... not too many people can afford that even with financing. Although, of course, over time the price will lower, but that will take years.

Therefore, I do think this will replace FUT/FUE, because if it works as intended, it will effectively negate all the drawbacks of FUT/FUE. It will...

1. Give a higher yield than FUT and FUE.

2. Leave no visible scaring, either linear or punctate.

3. Much less invasive than both procedures, so there will be little down time and virtually no post-op pain.

4. Enable a greater pool of potential candidates, such as those from African descent with extremely curly hair, and women who don't want to shave for FUE or have a linear scar.

5. Eliminates folliculitis from "buried" grafts

6. Subsequent surgeries are not hampered by fibrotic tissue from a prior session

7. The grafts can be harvested and planted at the same time so that grafts remain outside for a matter of minutes, as opposed to hours with FUE/ FUT.

8. The protective tissue around each FU is maximized; thus enhancing survival.

9. Just like FUE, the doc gets to chose which grafts to extract, so he can go for a lot of singles or doubles or triples...

Considering all these factors, I can't see how anyone in their right mind would chose FUT or FUE over Dr. Wesley's method.

The only reason anyone would do so would be due to the fact that the new technique requires an even higher level of surgical skill than FUT/FUE so that it will be more labor intensive from the doctor's perspective, therefore making it significantly more expensive.

Further, because the new technique requires new tools that must also be developed and perfected, it requires a very large capital investment which will obviously be passed on to the consumer, therefore making it prohibitively expensive for many patients. Dr. Wesley told me that it will cost as much as FUE, if not a little more.

I consider that to be prohibitively expensive for most guys. Think about it, even if you just need a 3,000 graft FUT, that's only going to cost you around $12-15k. But if you want to do the same thing with FUE, you're looking at close to a $25,000-30,000 procedure! That's a lot of money and I think it's enough to sway a lot of men to just say, forget it, I'll go with the FUT because they can't afford to spend 30-50k on a hair transplant.

So yes, I do think Dr. Wesley's method has the potential to replace FUT/FUE. I mean, look at the HT industry today. From what I understand, there are still doctors doing mini-graft plug work out there, even though we have FUT/FUE, just saying ...

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

Hello all,

I should clarify something. I believe this new method developed by Dr. Wesley is so revolutionary that it could replace FUT and FUE. The only reason it won't replace FUT, is the cost of it. The cost will most likely be higher than a FUE, so those of us who are not loaded, and still want great results, will still go with the FUT. As far as not being able to imagine how to harvest follicles, that is why Dr. Wesley is a visionary. I would have never imagined it either. I don't think this is a teaser, he will let us know soon. He is just protecting his intellectual property at the moment, I don't think he is trying to tease us. Look at it this way, it's not even a real technique yet. It needs to be approved first, and that takes time. Think of it as an experimental technology, that won't be available until the future. He has no ill intentions, he just needed people to participate in his trials, so he can offer this to everyone in the near future. Sorry if I came across as a teaser.

-Trees

2's - 989

3's - 75

Corvettester,

I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to a thread I read a couple months ago, about some new Chinese cloning method. I basically agree with everything you have stated about Dr. Wesley. I know that I will not be able to afford the procedure when it is FDA approved, and available to the public. So that is why I think the FUT is going to be around for a very long time. I respect you Corvettester, and don't want you to thnk I was trash taling you. PM me if you wish. I believe Wesley's technology is going to revolutionize everythng.

-Trees

2's - 989

3's - 75