9.5 months pics:1000 Fue Dr Feller: not good so far

jessie1

Bonkerstonker,

No need to apologise. i put that in the category as banter and doesn't even touch the sides having seen some recent posts!

Cheers for your comments, I know that you call it as it is and that is appreciated. I am disappointed with my situation and I am sure that I would come across as less than honest if I said that I wasn't. But I want to close the chapter and move forward.

Although 3 HTs in the bag and a much lower bank balance, gulp!!!!, I need to get this next one right. I feel that my situation is recoverable in the right hands. I also feel guilty tat I should be feeling so disappointed when so many are in a worse position, but this forum is all about being honest otherwise whats the point.

Although I am a newbie I have received 3 HTs and have taken a learning experience away from each of them. My next procedure will involve a much more robust research phase on my part, being intrusive as to the substance that makes up the Doc's reputation, not just the reputation if you get my drift.

So i will be hanging around like a bad smell I'm afraid... loads to do on the research front.

Having said all, which sounds all positive doesn't it, I have to be honest and say that I am still confused and don't know where to go from here.....

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jessie, I think the most challenging cases, aesthetically speaking, are those like yourself who have a very solid hairline and want to lower it, acheiving a density that matches the hair behind seems to be a problem, even with FUT and even with one of the 'top' surgeons, e.g., http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/157203-1531-fut-dr-rahal.html (although I'm not sure what the final outcome was here). I had a similar relative failure, and have just had 2nd attempt (where my hair pre-2nd op looked worse than pre-1st op, as I had a 1.5cm lower thinning hairline, as opposed to a higher but solid hairline)

If you read this post by Dr. Konior a few days back, there's some very good info. on finding the optimum density for hairline and need to find balance between dense packing and poor yield based on individual physiology.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/134908-update-1080-graft-hairline-repair-raymond-konior-m-d.html

Nothing I could tell you or advice regarding next steps, sure you know it all already. But wish you all the best in your quest.

Edited by fritz68

jessie1, have you considered strip surgery? Perhaps your poor growth stems from the fact that your physiology does not lend itself to FUE. With your minimal loss and thus minimal requirements, you could have a very small strip scar if you decide to go that route. I'm all for FUE, but it's not for everyone. I would hate to see you have another FUE surgery and experience les than optimal results.

If you're dead set on FUE and you don't mind traveling, Dr. Bisanga is relatively inexpensive, even with the exchange rate heavily favoring the euro. SMG is also relatively inexpensive and they too have a wonderful reputation for performing high quality work. In all fairness though, SMG has not being doing FUE for nearly as long as Dr. Bisanga, but I cannot imagine they would risk their amazing reputation if they did not feel that their FUE work was on par with their strip work.

The next step is yours alone to make, but if I were in your shoes, I would honestly consider having strip performed.

Jessie, I would highly recommend you wait the full 12-18 months before deciding on another surgery. I had a temple point FUE and I'm 15 months post op and still seeing the hairs mature and thicken. You'd really be surprised how much some slight hair thickening can add to the effect. Best of luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Cheers guys,

Some excellent advice coming through. I have definitely short listed Bisanga. He seems to be one of the front runners and I have studied his results which seem very consistent.

I have not decided on the next route, ie. FUE or STRIP just yet. All sorts of considerations.

Hairthere, in respect of waiting the full journey, completely take your point. I see no reason to be hasty but the vast majority of my growth is through and even if I was to see some maturity it just won't cut it mate. I'm pleased that this worked for you and spot on advice to anybody that already has the building blocks in place to appreciate the added maturity.

My situation is reretably different. The density and 'packing' of the hairline never materialised. Some promising early growth but it has remained static. Some native hairloss which was evident pre op, sure, but the result never came.

Some of Bisangas work definitely excites me, together with a hand full of other Docs.

My golden rule now is to be very careful about photographs. Huge difference between reality vs photos. Probably a seperate topic in itself actually. I can manipulate my results to look like after photos very easily. Easy to pull out the big guns (product) and work it to your advantage: thank god! Some crackin stuff out there now. The reality won't stand up to scrutiny on face to face inspection of course. The accessibility of face to face follow up with your surgeon post Op should be a massive consideration pre op.

I feel that from a personal perspective, not benefiting from this luxury being across the pond, has definitely been a contributory factor to the position I find myself in.

I do not want to discourage people from traveling across the world to get the best, I encourage that, but patients really must have a contingency in mind should their HT not achieve their expectations and need the face to face support from the Doc. This is where research comes in. How well will the Doc look after me if the chips are down?

I maintain that Albion71 has been poorly treated (see his thread) but his clinic at least paid for his travel expenses etc. This doesnt make what happened right, but these are all the things overseas travellers seriously need to consider. Hope I'm not being patronising.

What might be more refreshing is to start seeing more Videos coming through: Is that possible to do?

So what does it mean, talks breaking down, if you don't mind? It is pretty obvious that this is not a successful ht (in my mind). These do happen and if it is the in average with industry, I don't think it the doc to blame. The difference is the standing behind the work and the doc doing the best to give the pt a successful outcome. So, if you have further loss, as the pt, your should be asked to pay for those grafts, but as for the operated area in the previous surgery, the doc should comp that for free. All of this seems really easy and I am unsure why talks would break down.

If you don't mind, is there a reason you all could not work things out? Sorry for being nosey but I am always interested in the doctors reaction after a failed ht.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I think you need definite results this time and if i was you i'd be thinking rahal. The reason why i say rahal is i've never seen a bad result on any forum from him so simply he is imo the most reliable surgeon around at the moment for that reason, the only thing is you're not so keen on strip all though he does do fue we've not seen many results so that its self is a slight gamble i suppose but i think i'd just go for it anyway!

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Spanker,

I will respond to your comments as concisely and frankly as possible with fairness as to Dr Feller's reputation in mind. Sorry in advance for sounding very diplomatic but I already see I world of pain unleashing on me if I perhaps get into too much depth. I have taken a massive hit over the last few days and I'm still struggling with the fall out from it all.

Plus, I have few allies and have seen situations like this go several ways, usually with the patients integrity, honesty and credibility brought into question and ultimately crushed. The industry has already taken its fair share of these and I'm determined not to let it steal anymore.

I have pulled out of talks with Dr Feller as I simply wanted to maintain my dignity. The dialogue was initially positive as you will see from a post further back. It changed within the space of 48 hours. I choose a private means of communication with Dr Feller as a preferred option. I have no time with people on here that use these forums as leverage and effectively put a strangle hold on the doctor, although I can see why it happens in situations where the doctor concerned leaves you out in the cold. I don't condone it though, I'm just rationalising.

I have severed all links with Doctor Feller. Doctor Feller believes the result to be a success ultimately and I personally don't. The opinion on the forum seems to be that the result is poor and as far as i'm aware i have done nothing to influence anybody's opinion. If i have, then I have been unfair and I'm sorry. People have been in touch with me on a private basis and commented on the result being poor.

Its difficult in situations where the Doc denies that the result is poor.

I have also met Spex in person to discuss my result, out of respect of Spex, and again, in the interest of fairness, I will not disclose publically what Spex said about the result or the technique.

There are issues here that go further, however ,although I have not achieved a reasonable resolution and definitely feel severely let down and undermined by the events of the past couple of days, I feel that my communication with Dr Feller is private and I would be going against my own principles to bring it into a public forum.

That being said, if I feel that comments are introduced to this forum that are unfair, misleading or untrue I will defend my position to the hilt.

Dr Feller is well respected in the industry and has changed peoples lives, there is no doubt about that. Had I not have had confidence in him then I would not have put my trust in him. I have no reason to point score as my case is closed ( bridges burned) and I do not have the energy to pursue it. I have patiently played the waiting game for too long and effectively put my life on hold and just as importantly, those around me. As I say, of huge importance to me right now is my dignity and will to carry on and put myself in the hands of a Doctor that will deliver for me and stand by me.

I will need some help on finding the right Doc as previously stated.

I will brush up on the photography skills and put some photos on here that are a fair representation to all.

Oh and sorry if this has got a bit deep and dragged on without really getting t the crux of it!

Here are photos of Jessie1 taken and sent to my office this week. I have placed them together with his before photos for comparison; and because some of the photography of the results are poor, I outlined the salient areas to make comparison and critical analysis easier.

All of Jessie1's FUE grafts grew successfully and the result is exactly as described and expected for 1,000 grafts. Even though growth yields of FUE are typically lower than for strip, this was thankfully not the case for Jessie. His FUE grafts grew far better than any of the strip grafts he received from the two UK clinics before his procedure with us. No question these grafts grew every bit as well as any strip grafts in general.

I would gauge his FUE growth yield at nearly 100% and the cosmetic benefit plain to see when the hair is even somewhat styled properly.

Unfortunately, he continued to lose hair since his surgery, the most obvious of which was in the forelock or "mohawk" area which was located just behind the transplanted areas. The end result was to make the center area look thinner. This is easy to see in the photos.

I know that in one of his posts Jessie was concerned about a thin corner way above the hairline. However, that was not an area addressed by the procedure, nor an area targeted for grafts.

Despite the fact that the surgery grew exactly as planned, Jessie believes that it was in fact a failure. That is his opinion and he is entitled to it, but I think we will have to agree to disagree.

I spoke at length with Jessie via telephone and exchanged some emails with him and came to the personal conclusion that his understanding and expectations of surgery are unrealistic. He, however was ready to book in for another procedure as soon as possible with us.

I told him I would review his concerns, the photos, and the data very closely and if I found an error or problems that I would give him another surgery for half price to make him happy. He was very satisfied with this and wanted to discuss dates, but after I reviewed all his concerns and the photographs he and Spex sent me, I could find no shortcoming in either my procedure or his physiology. Indeed, his results were exemplary of a 1,000 graft FUE hairline fill-in and I invited him to post the pictures and send them to five other quality HT doctors for their opinion.

The photos he did post were of wet hair and mussed up to minimize the benefit of the transplant. Fortunately, I had more photos which I put together and present here.

Because I could find absolutely no problem with the results, except for the glaring loss of his forelock that had nothing to do with us, I only offered him a 20% discount instead of a 50% discount. I, of course was under no ethical or moral obligation to even offer that but was glad to if it made him happy. But his response only solidified my concern that he was not being realistic and so I passed on doing anymore surgery on him despite his great insistence that I do so.

My original recommendation to Jessie 18 months ago was to perform a strip megasession, but he rejected it because he already had two strip procedures elsewhere that didn't work for him. So he wanted to try FUE, which of course requires more procedures to achieve a result on par with any strip surgery. He understood this and had the procedure, all he has to do now is do a second one as is sometimes necessitated by continued genetic hair loss and he would be happy. Or at least happier.

I bend over backwards to help my patients when things don't always go right by offering steep discounts or even free surgery. But if a surgery and result went off as planned as happened with Jessie1, I don't see the need to offer steep discounts or free procedures. A standard discount should suffice and be considered more than fair.

I had to make it clear to Jessie that I would not accept him for a second surgery, so he is now looking for another doctor to take his case. I wish him and his doctor the very best of luck on his future procedures and that he is happy.

Dr. Feller

If want to see larger images, just click on the yellow banner above each photo series and then click the "+" in the magnifying glass.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

This is my opinion after looking at Dr Feller's pics taken in natural light.

For such a small HT session and the area transplanted, it looks very good. I'm trying to be impartial here. Jessie1 had a lot of hair before the HT.

Unfortunately it seems that he's losing more hair thanks to DHT and that makes his central region looks thinner, but regardless he's got almost a head full of hair.

Comparing before and after pics there's a definite improvement in the hairline region, and its obviously not a botch job, Dr Feller focused the transplant in a narrow area and it grew well for an FUE, which yields lower hair than strip.

I do agree that in order to keep up with Jessie1's objectives of getting natural results it would be necessary to have another session to fill in the central tuft and areas not touched by the last ht.

Hi Jessie. TBH I don't understand why you'd put your life on hold for what looks to me like a full head of hair, I'm sure most people don't give your hair a second look. So far as your comments about people using the forum as leverage hopefully you don't mean me. I've made every effort to be reasonable to Dr Feller on here. Good luck with your next HT, I wouldn't imagine you need more than 1000 grafts to thicken up the hairline though - unlike me.

Jessie, not sure how old you are but I wouldn't bother with another HT at this point -your hair looks good.

As far as your results, it's hard to tell but it looks like transplanted hair grew to me. I'm kind of confused though and maybe you can answer the following questions:

1) In the Doc's after photos, it looks like one is taken in a vehicle. I see hairs on the edge of hte hairline that look like they are just coming in. Are you sure that your planted hairs have grown out - you may still have more to go?

2) I see some greyish hairs in the forelock in the before photos but none in the after. Were these transplanted hairs from the strip procedure, or existing, or have you dyed your hair? The reason I ask is because for me, the hair I've lost up front has lost it's pigment when it was on the way out - you could have experienced the same thing (i.e. you have indeed lost some hair up front in the last year or so). They could have also been shocked out after the HT.

Either way man, your hair looks good. I feel like I'm pretty objective on forums and call it like I see it. To me it looks like the HT'd hair grew in. I wouldn't mess with another HT if I were you.... deal with it down the road if your hair thins out more and get it all filled in at once.

Good luck!

Dr Arocha

3626 FU's

H1: 508

H2: 1741

H3: 1377

My Hairloss Website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2127

Jessie1,

I have to admit that the language and tone of your last post puzzles, if not troubles me. It seems as if you feel guilty for posting your honest opinion and experience. This phenomenon of self-guilt is not uncommon on the forums, which is unfortunate considering the raison d’etre of the HTN.

Further, I don’t know what to make of your allusions to your behind-the-scenes dealings with Spex and Feller. Why not adhere to a policy of full disclosure just as Dr. Feller has done? This isn’t some sort of top-secret government project; you are perfectly within your right to post your correspondences.

It seems as if you were more worried about offending Dr. Feller than you were about your own experience and result. You shouldn’t feel the need to censor yourself, lest you offend someone. Again, this is what the HTN is here for: a watered-down, bowdlerize version of your experience benefits none.

That being said, what troubles me the most about this thread is that the doctor has rejected you for a second procedure. I’ve actually never heard of a doctor refusing a former patient—perhaps a specific request, but not a procedure altogether. Are your respective visions so at odds as to be irreconcilable?

In my eyes, this raises a lot of issues. I mean, I could understand if you were a new patient with unrealistic expectations, but that isn’t the case. I would assume that in such circumstances a doctor would simply refuse whatever is asked of him, yet offer a suitable and ethical alternative…

Did Dr. Feller offer you such an alternative?

Dr. Feller’s response worries me because it effectively washes his hands of problem patients and his responsibility therein. I view this as a convenient way of passing the buck…

I mean, why rescind the initial offer? Why not work with the patient and explain the limitations, instead of leaving him out in the cold? If your expectations were truly unrealistic, surely you could be persuaded to come to your senses. Wasn’t there any effort made to enlighten you as to the limitations of follicular unit hair transplantation?

Do you agree with his conclusion that your results are unrealistic? Does Spex, or anyone else who has seen your results in person, agree with your analysis and expectations? How did you come to said expectations?

Lastly, before you underwent FUE with Dr. Feller, did he address the possibility of future loss with you? Did he think that you would lose more in the forelock or did the topic simply never arise? I mean, it’s only been 10 months! Unless I’m the one being unrealistic here, surely there must have been some indication of potential loss just 10 months ago?

Further, do you consider the recent photos Dr. Feller posted as indicative of the true nature of your result? Is this how it really looks?

I have to admit that it doesn’t look bad according to the pics Dr. Feller posted; however, the ones you posted at 9.5 months do seem less than stellar—certainly not a failure though. We all understand here at the HTN that sometimes poor photos can make a good HT look bad, or a bad HT look good—I’m just not sure which is which here…

Long story short: you’re not happy. You’re dissatisfied with your result for certain, and I’d wager that you are also dissatisfied with your experience with Dr. Feller. You've shown yourself to be reasonable, respectful as well as a gentleman. I’m perplexed as to why doctor and patient haven’t come to an amicable resolution…

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester
Grammar. Spelling. Clarity. Style.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

To be honest your hair looks really good Jesse. Perfect? No. But it really doesn't need more work at this time. Give it a few years and see if your loss progreses.... Get on fin if you aren't on it already. But be patient and save some grafts for the future if you need them because right now you don't. All the best!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Jessie i have to admit Dr Fellers pictures show a much better result i wouldn't have another op for quite a long time. you have shaved hairs at the front on your pre op and result pictures why do you do that? Are they ht hairs from your first op that are too sparse to grow out.

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

To me, Jessie's pictures were blurry and it looks like he was combing the transplants away from the skin to show areas that were not transplanted. The newr photos by Dr. Feller are much better and show what looks like a great result to me. Because it was done with an FUE makes it even better. It's obvious Jessie lost a lot of his hair behind the area doctr feller worked in. Just fill it in.

I saw this similar case from dr fellr except this guy didn't lose more of his own hair. Fantastic wwork and result.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/161679-new-hairline-dr-alan-feller.html

Hey Guys,

I posted a thread titled ‘Dr Feller: 1000 FUE: 9.5 month pics: poor result so far’, however the thread was becoming more along the theme of my experience with Dr Feller and moving away from my initial 9.5 month pics which were submitted over a month ago.

I held off sharing my HT experience with Dr Feller for many reasons. I felt a huge sense of guilt and somewhat unworthy of speaking out about my experience given that I was one of the many huge admirers of Dr Feller.

I write this as somebody that feels absolutely crushed and deeply hurt . I submit this in the full knowledge that I may be completely beaten down and have my credibility attacked even further for sharing my experience, having seen how this tends to play out on other threads. I need to get it absolutely straight that these are my own personal views and I fully accept that people will naturally disagree having had a fantastic experience with Dr Feller . I also not not wish to deter people from considering Dr Feller, just to be aware of the experience I endured.

I felt that I was left with little choice but to share my experience and it is of regret that I bring my experience to a public forum. I have never used this forum to gain leverage and smear Dr Feller’s reputation. I have absolutely no intention of doing this and do not condone this practice as I feel that a personal approach with the doctor is the most respectful, fair and efficient way to communicate, without bringing anybodys credibility into question.

Behind the scenes I have been so humble in trying to address my heart felt dissatisfaction about my HT result in a private fashion with Spex and Dr Feller, but I feel that I have been treated very unfairly and left out in the cold. Furthermore, my character and credibility have been brought into the firing line by Dr Feller who made some comments in his post which were simply not the way things played out.

Following his post I have been careful not to act on impulse and respond hastily but instead to take a couple of days out, compose myself and think carefully about what I would be achieving by bringing my experience into this forum. The answer is simple. I only want to raise the awareness of people choosing to embark upon the HT journey, by ensuring that they are satisfied that they have the confidence in their Doctor to stand by and support them should things not work out.

My Journey:

I have been a follower of Dr Feller for a couple of years. I met with Spex in March of 2010. The consultation was very informative. Spex inspired me with confidence and came across as a pretty sound guy. We discussed my requirements and my personal goals. My hairline at this time was awkward looking and sparse having been at the mercy of two previous strip procedures in the UK which were poor at best. Having researched fanatically this time and learned from previous mistakes, I considered FUE as the preferred route.

Spex examined me, took a video of my hair and gave his initial recommendation that 1000 FUE grafts were required to the hairline and small band behind it which was thinning and unstable. Spex was extremely enthusiastic and was very confident. He said that Dr Feller would be able to ‘pack my hairline’ and make it dense and thicker. I outlined my concerns about projected hair loss as it was obvious that my hair loss was not just limited to the hairline alone but the area behind it ,which is evident in my 9.5 month pics. Spex was confident that Dr Feller would be able to accomplish this with 1000 FUE.

I also asked Spex if Dr Feller would consider diluting my existing strip scar with FUE grafts. Spex said that he would relay this to the doctor and this would be discussed on the day. I went away inspired. My mind was made up, Dr Feller was my man.

I remained in contact with Spex for the months that followed and his advice was invaluable and reassuring. Spex confirmed that Dr Feller had accepted my case and had suggested that 1000 FUE was the way forward.

Sept 2010 came around quickly. I travelled to NYC from the UK and I was absolutely stressed to the max , not least of all because I felt terrible and ashamed having told my family and friends a string of lies. I’m sure that others have encountered the same feelings.

Day of the surgery

I arrived at Dr Feller’s office and went through the usual protocol with the paperwork and disclaimer. I was shocked at the content of the disclaimer and recall thinking that much of the uncertainties of the procedure were not discussed in the consultation with Spex. In fact, it was miles off and I remember thinking that I wish I had seen the disclaimer many moons ago.

Perhaps it would be good practice for this to happen prior to paying the non-refundable deposit. However the decision was made and I was going for it.

Dr Feller and I discussed my situation. Dr Feller allowed me explain my concerns together with my goals. I felt that this was important as up until this point I had not entered into any communication with Dr Feller directly.

We examined my hair and Dr Feller outlined his plan using a marker. I respectfully told Dr Feller that I thought that the plan was a little optimistic as his drawing did not address the areas that I was most concerned about.

My forelock and zone behind my hairline was weak yet Dr Feller was confident that this area should not be worked on as it looked as if it was holding up fine and as such was confident about lowering my hairline.

Dr feller commented on some sparse stray transplanted hairs from my previous HTs which had not survived for whatever reason. These were few in number and I was not concerned about ‘picking these up’. I discussed the prospect of Dr Feller diluting my previous scar. This wasn’t addressed and I can not recall the reason why so I will not comment further on this. I trust that the reasons were plausible and have no issue with this whatsoever.

The surgery went like clockwork and the technicians were great and helped to ease my nerves. I thank them for this. The surgery that Dr Feller performed looked clean and neat, although I knew that we had not worked into the area of concern if I am honest.

The months that followed:

I healed really well and there was very little discomfort or pain. There were some early signs of growth a few months in but things started to slow up and remain static. Having not heard anything from either Spex or Dr Feller in the months following I emailed Spex at the 5.5 month stage and asked for my photos. There was some sort of bug on Dr Feller’s computer and Spex thought that the photos may have been wiped. I emailed Dr Feller’s office myself and obtained the pics straight away.

So where did it all go wrong:

Pretty much of what has been written so far will no doubt raise questions as to why I feel so let down.

By the 9.5 month mark I posted my pictures on the forum and I was reassured when Dr Feller commented and asked me if I could see Spex straight away and not wait out 12 months. I felt that there had been little cosmetic improvement and genuinely wasn’t happy with the growth. The transplanted area is sparse and awkward looking and not really picked up on camera. My photos haven’t been particularly conclusive either and I agree with Dr Feller on this.

Spex and I met on Thurs 14th July. By this time I was just short of 10.5 months out. I felt nervous about meeting with Spex as I had pre conceived ideas about how I thought this may play out, believing that Spex would insist that the result was a success.

When Spex agreed that the result was poor and that FUE had clearly not worked out for me I was actually quite shocked, whilst feeling guilty that I had been so suspicious. Spex examined my hair and commented that my hairline looked sparse and that although there had been growth, The HT had not yielded the results that he would have expected from 1000 FUE. He agreed that there was an issue with the density and genuine awkward looking appearance of it.

Spex and I also agreed that there had been some native loss in the zone behind my hairline, particularly in the forelock area. I asked Spex if that had surprised him, bearing in mind that this was no revelation. I had pointed this out to Spex in our initial consultation in which he agreed at the time that this needed addressing and was confident that Dr Feller would be able to achieve this. I outlined my concerns to Spex that I felt that my approach was not right and would never have realistically achieved my goals bearing in mind that Dr Feller did not address the areas that we had discussed.

Spex put a huge amount of emphasis on the uncertainties of FUE and was very very critical of it. So much so I was almost knocked over as to how negative he was sounding about it in comparison to his initial consultation. He rubbished FUE and said that he was one of the’ lucky ones’. Spex said that he would relay my concerns to Dr Feller but any negotiation as to a second procedure would be a matter for Dr Feller and I to discuss.

On the subject of a second procedure Spex went into great depth as to what my requirements were. Again, I felt inspired again. He said that this time I needed a strip procedure in order to hit the hairline and unstable region behind it and ‘get it sorted once and for all’. The zone identified was about 4 cms from my hairline backwards. Spex then took some photographs and later that evening got in touch with me and asked me to provide him with wet pics.

Direct contact with Dr Feller:

On Tuesday 19th July I was directed to ring Dr Feller. We spoke for 45 minutes ( damn, just realised that this was UK peak time.... My partner is going to kill me when the bill comes in...Ooops!). Dr Feller allowed me to outline my concerns without interrupting me. This put me as ease .

Dr Feller explained that he has reviewed my case and the recent pics that Spexs took and did not feel that the HT was a failure. I explained that the pics that Spexs took did not reflect the reality of the situation since they were a bit blurry, not taken in ideal conditions and I was wearing styling product.

He still maintained that the result was fine based on the pics that I had even posted. I told Dr Feller that I had concerns about the approach, and detailed my reasons behind this, drawing upon the consultation I had with Spex pre-surgery.

I was absolutely shocked when Dr Feller said that Spex should not have beefed things up and promised things that could never be delivered and said that he would have to consider “cutting Spex loose.” Dr Feller was speaking quite derogatory about Spex and i felt very uncomfortable about it .

He kept reiterating that he was “the decision maker,” not Spex. I told Dr Feller that I did not want to get anybody into trouble; I merely wanted him to address my concerns. He said that he would be speaking to Spex and kept reiterating about “cutting him loose.”

I felt extremely guilty and this was just adding to my stress. It was evident that there discrepancies between the consultation process and the technique performed on the day. This may be explained by a simple breakdown in communication, as after all I never communicated directly with Dr Feller, therefore attributing this failure solely to Spex seems hasty and grossly unfair.

It pains me to bring Spex into this but I have given Dr Feller chance to speak with Spex about this, having discussed this privately with Dr Feller in a number of emails. Furthermore, it pains me to raise this matter in this forum however Dr Feller has not portrayed an accurate version of events in his post and has effectively left me feeling discredited.

In light of what Spex said about my result, and claiming to be an unbiased patient advocate I feel that that he has not supported either myself or Dr Feller, following Dr Feller's post in which he vehemently defends the result and made comments in which Spex in fairness will know flyin the face of reality.

Dr Feller said that he would look after me and offer me a second surgery which of between 1500-1800 grafts (strip) for $3000 which is heavily discounted, even more discount than the 50% that Dr Feller alluded to in his post. Dr Feller stated that would cover the cost of his technician staff. I did not agree to take up the offer there and then but said that I would be in touch and asked what his availability was for September. He said that he was able to switch some local patients around to accommodate me. Dr Feller asked me to deal with him alone from that point onwards and gave me his personal email address.

Subsequent communication:

I emailed Dr Feller pretty much straight away. It would be fair to say that despite some trepidation about the goings on within Feller medical I was willing and grateful to accept Dr Feller’s offer. He is accurate in reporting that in his post. I did have some reservations about ‘communication’ for the reasons mentioned, so this time I was keen to ensure that Dr Feller was fully acquainted with my current situation and openly share my opinions on the requirements of the next surgery. These requirements were backed by Spex a few days earlier. I was merely putting these into words as I felt that there was an obvious discord between Dr Feller and Spex .

Dr Feller responded and it was clear that I had offended him by his tone. I recall reading his email and feeling sick and concerned that I had damaged our relationship. I had only told Dr Feller what Spex had graphically described that I needed in order to meet my realistic objectives of the next procedure. I have reflected upon the content of this email and feel that the only thing I am guilty of is possibly being over optimistic about the potential objectives being met. In order to address this I responded to Dr Feller immediately and apologised if I had caused any offence and made it clear that I wished to work with him and reconcile any damage done. I was humble and apologetic and tried to explain myself.

Dr Feller responded and stated that he had now pulled all of the information together and held a 20 minute conversation with Spex and was satisfied that there had been no miscommunication on the part of Spex and due to the result being a success he withdrew his offer. Dr Feller commented that his original offer over the phone was based on ‘ incomplete information’ and was ‘ far too generous’. He then offered a discount of $1250 no matter what size or type of surgery.

I do not wish to necessarily blight my story with getting bogged down highlighting in inaccuracies with Dr Feller’s post, however these are glaringly obvious. I was offended by Dr Feller’s email and felt that he was frustrated with me and played upon my supposed naivety in order to demean me. He assures me that this was not the case but it had the desired effect.

I went back to Dr Feller and asked what information he was in receipt of now which he wasn’t aware of when he made the offer, and he has been unable to offer me a reasonable explanation.

Dr Feller has also told me that no matter what he does for me, he feels that my expectations are unrealistic and that I will never be satisfied no matter what he does.

My Present Situation

Dr Feller has rescinded his offer and maintains that the HT is a success. Dr Feller has not seen me in person nor has he offered to, despite several private email exchanges. I would have travelled to the US and seen Dr Feller personally but since the relationship has broken down, I have never been afforded this privilege. Although I fully respect and invite people’s views about my result, I maintain that the pictures do not fully represent my situation and the fact that Spex agrees that, having seen me face to face and agreed that the result is poor is testament to that.

Being allowed to see Dr Feller face to face should have been particularly important and quite frankly necessary, especially when Spex is in complete disagreement him.

Dr Feller has maintained in his post that I have gone against his original advice of a strip mega session. This is inaccurate as he has never been in personal contact with me prior to the surgery and 1000 FUE was Dr Feller’s recommendation all along. He never advised a strip mega session and I am struggling to know where this has come from.

Having spent almost $12,000 (including my extended travel costs) I feel completely let down and disappointed that Dr Feller has effectively walked away from me. This is a huge amount of money to me. This has been a torrid and emotional journey. This last week has been extremely stressful and sent me to the brink. I'm in the tunnel now and definitely need to address the loss in and behind the hairline and find the cash from somewhere.

I respect that Dr Feller has a reputation to protect and he has made that clear in his post, without due regard to mine. I feel that the reputation of a good doctor also hinges on their willingness to deal with concerns expressed by the patient, to maintain their integrity and ultimately stand by their patients.

I wish no ill feeling on either Spex or Dr Feller and genuinely hope that some learning can come from this experience and we can all move on without any hard feelings. I will be around on the forums for some time and merely wish to move on and engage and interact in an impartial manner.

Jessie1

Dr Feller 1000 FUE sept 2010

Jessie1,

In the end I think you feel “let down” because you honestly believe you are entitled to free surgery by me to address areas OUTSIDE of the recipient zone that I successfully transplanted 10 months ago. That’s just not reasonable.

The fact is that we planned your procedure together and agreed to each aspect prior to commencement of your surgery. I memorialized our agreement in writing and photographs so that it could not be denied later on- which is exactly what you are attempting to do now.

Every critical thing you wrote about me and Spex in your prior posts are not only false, but demonstrably false. I believe you made your first post on this thread to strong arm me into giving you free surgery, and I believe you made your latest post on here because you are angry you didn’t succeed. You are not the first to attempt this tactic online.

Your surgery went extremely well, especially for an FUE procedure, and all of your grafts grew to provide you with a cosmetically significant improvement. No one who has commented on your photos has disputed that. The fact that you lost more of your native hair behind the transplants ten months later does not obligate me to provide you with free or even half priced surgery.

Continued loss of hair behind transplants happens all the time, everyone knows hair loss is progressive, and when it strikes a former patient of mine and they want to do another procedure to address those areas I sometimes offer discounts, especially if they are “cash strapped” as you said you were. But I am much less inclined to offer those discounts if the patient thinks and claims that level of generosity is actually owed to them. This is partly why I rejected you for another procedure, the rest you know from our other communications.

And with that I wish you a good and happy life.

Edited by Dr. Alan Feller

Jessie,

You've alread posted a topic on this and thus, I will be merging these two topics. There's no sense in hosting multiple threads on the same topic, especially considering you were the original poster of the previous topic.

Bill,

With all due respect, I disagree with the decision to merge these two threads.

The first thread is his 9.5 month update of his results and was originally posted almost 6 weeks ago. He is now on his 11 month update.

The second thread is regrading his experience with Dr. Feller, not his results. Thus, he should be allowed two separate threads as they are unique topics.

Further, I noticed that he titled his second thread "My Bad Experience with Dr. Feller." He went on to comprehensively relate his entire story from beginning to end. I think this is vital information for the community.

Also, it makes it easier for members, new and old alike, to search for positive or negative results or experiences with Dr. Feller, or any doctor for that matter.

The choice to merge his thread is incongruent with patient advocacy and will be seen by many as protecting the doctor's interests by not allowing a thread with such a negative title to exist. In essence, his Surgeon Review is being buried in a 9.5 month patient result update, which only diminishes and gives less credence and credibility to the patient's story, and HTN.

I do hope he will be allowed to post a comprehensive review of his experience with Dr. Feller in a separate, appropriately titled thread.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester
I changed this sentence: "credence and credibility to the patient's story, and HTN."

One more thing...

I'd like to draw the community's attention to two brand new members, Ank and Hairbest. "Hairbest" made his first and only post in this thread (#41), where he discredits the OP and praises the Dr. Feller. "Ank" attacked myself and my doctor while praising Dr. Feller in another recent thread started by Destorious (thankfully, moderators edited his post to remove some of the most offensive comments).

Both members joined the HTN this past week. Both members dedicated their first and only post to discrediting long-time members and praising Dr. Feller.

Here on the HTN we sometimes see these "drive-by" posters. They attack all sorts of different doctors or members. Sometimes, they praise certain doctors while bashing others; other times it's members that they're after. I've recently seen them bash H&W, SMG and T&D... but there are more documented cases.

I think it's important for the HTN to recognize such posters and address them appropriately. They violate the very foundations of what the HTN is all about: Patient Advocacy!

Both poster have these things in common:

1. First time posters.

2. Only one post in total.

3. Recently Joined HTN, yet have very strong opinions.

4. Attack a Coalition Doctor or HTN member.

5. Excessively praise a Coalition Doctor or HTN member, at the expense of another.

I'm not making any accusations, but I think I'm justified in viewing such members as highly suspicious, and I know I'm not alone.

Due to proxy servers and separate IP Address hosting, it's not always possible for webmasters to prove the true location of an I.P. address. Thus, I encourage the community and to be on the look out for such posters and alert the moderators if you suspect foul play. We cannot allow internet trolls to pervert the integrity HTN.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

Corv i have my own agenda regarding you and feller that i have already spoken to you about but i have to say these drive by posters are clearly people who think the same but are too scared to reveal there real posting aliases. I suggest these people grow some balls and say what they have to say upfront as hiding behind fake names is pointless!

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Corvettester,

I'm sorry that you disagree with the merging of these two topics however, there's simply no need to host two topics of discussion surrounding one patient's case. All the arguments and photos surrounding Jessie1's hair transplant and its success rate have been added to this topic and is continuing to garner discussion. Why then, should we host a second discussion of the same patient's experience and results which is sure to be a repeat of what's already been discussed?

Frankly, your logic makes no sense. The OP has the ability to edit/modify his posts including the original topic title if he pleases. Most importantly, all patients are welcome to share their genuine experience, concerns, and photos on this forum. But hosting two topics with the same content serves no purpose other than increasing the difficulty for members in monitoring and responding to the same discussion.

Best Regards,

Bill

Corvettester,

Regarding "drive by" posters, I agree with you and have responded to "Ank" accordingly. I have not yet seen the posts by "HairBest" although I assume Dave and/or Blake did since you claim his/her post was edited. If you send me a private message with a copy of the URL where "hairbest" posted privately, I'll be happy to investigate this further. However, let's keep this discussion on topic.

Edit: I see that "hairbest" has posted on this topic and while he's a new member, I see nothing offensive about his statements. Furthermore, his IP address does not match that of Ank's or anyone elses. Thus, I see no real evidence to suggest that he's a fictitious poster. However, members of this community are welcome to draw their own conclusions about this.

Corvettester, all members (even newbies) are entitled to their opinions. However, I agree that if it's evidenced that new posters are fakes trying to favor a particular topic towards one side or another, then these members will be removed. As moderators of this community, we're always on the lookout for this but do request that if you spot potential troublemakers, that you send one of us a private message to investigate it further.

Thanks,

Bill