Enough is enough, I have to live !

norwoodsman

Im 26 and a NW5, been balding since 17. Was quite popular with women even when i was a NW3 but still with hair. I was always EXTREMELY self-conscious about it, but when you're a NW5..... damn, then it starts to really affect your happiness level. When you look in the mirror and see an old man. I can't go on like this. I have decided to move from my family across the country to a new area and get a toupee. I have to live the rest of my twenties and early thirties "with hair". I have to experience "having hair" and looking good for once in my adult lifetime. I can always go back if i don't like it, or when i'm ready to become a bald old guy.

My questions to the veterans are:

1. Which is the best toupee company (i'm ready to spend money to look good)

2. Is it COMPLETELY unidentifiable ?

3. At this point i HAVE to do something about this, i can't live my life like this. I've read some really bad articles from former hair wearers. Is it so terrible wearing a toupee?

Than you very much.

So sad story...i really feel you...because you remind my case...good luck my friend...im 34 balding from 17 too...i feel like 90 already...i have try everything...check my nickname...we are cursed...toupe is nice at the begining but after 6 months you will feel much worse,trust me...

Hi there norwoodsman, i know its tough, and i m not gonna dissuade u from a hair piece although i find myself more depressed after wearing it. I understand that u will grab any chance to have a life again so by all means try out the hair system. However, prob u would have heard this many times, why not go the shaved look? Prob not the best look but some guys can pull it off. Do post some pictures so that we can give suggestions

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

hey norwoodsman, is a hairpiece definitely your only option?. i am no expert on these things (there are some guys on here that are) but have you thought about looking into medications that are available to stabilise/improve your situation?.

I only wish that I had minoxidil, finasteride, avodart etc available to me before I started wearing a hairpiece over 15 years ago at the age of 22. The worse thing would be if they could help you and you missed the chance. MIght be worth asking the opinion of some of the consultants and doctors on this site.

I agree with what wb280 is saying, hairpieces can be depressing. I think if you find a good supplier and stylist then they can look very realistic, I believe the hairpiece gave me back my 20s and early 30s, although not many relationships lasted after they found out.

If you are a candidate for a transplant, look into that before a wig. Though some high level NW 7's are just better off with a piece. The hair lines are always a bit suspect, so do a combed forward look if you get one. I know there was one really popular hair piece company called Farrell or something.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Maybe its just me but if i aint a gd transplant candidate, i will defn shave it bald. I cannot get pass myself with the hair piece and no, it will not last in water no matter wat others tell u.

Also, the feeling of the whole hair glued to your head... sorry mate, i hope u understand i m not trying to discourage u but i m telling u like it is...

At 26 u r still relatively young but i have seen patients at your age going thru HT, however, i will still recommend the trio of rogaine, finasteride and nizoral shampoo. Also, try shaving it off. You see dudes like Vin diesel and Jason statham. You get my point mate! All is not lost :)

Whatever is your decision, we will support u :)

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

A well-made and well-styled hairpiece is essentially impossible to spot. The hair color, density and texture will blend invisibly with your natural hair.

Everybody feels paranoid at first, but that passes over time as you become more experienced and more comfortable with it.

You can swim with your hair system on if you're using the right kind of tape. If you have it attached properly, it is impossible to find the seam where your natural hair ends and the hair system begins.

Most people who have negative views about hairpieces have never worn a really good piece - or they make their judgements based on the people they see wearing awful, obvious systems in shopping malls, restaurants, etc.

Beemark, maybe its just me, but my supplier was good. He nvr hard sell to me and he told me abt all the various pros and cons. Like i told our friend here, i recommend him to try as i know how critical every ray of hope is for us all. I can truly understand, but i just hope he is mindful of the cons that i have experienced and also suggested shaving it all before going that hair system route. Maybe he will be happier that way, who knows :)

NWM, can u share with us who your supplier is?

• 5 weeks later...

You're way too young to feel/look old...or wear a "piece." Cosmetic Hair Replication by scalp micropigmentation would be a great option for you. Its natural, permenant, immediate, maintenance free...and sexy. All you need is a clipper to keep it tight. Check out my photo album. It actually looks great on men of any age, race or profession. It makes you look and feel confident and confidence is sexy!

• 1 month later...

having a hair piece might makes you look good (it might even look better than your native hair) but putting on a hair piece will make you more depressed and feeling even older, you'll always feel fake and afraid that people around you find out about it, which most likely they will (at least some of them), and if they ever do, they will never stop making fun of you.

Putting on a hair piece is deceiving, it might help you go out with girls at first, but believe me, once they find out about it they will leave you right away, you will look fake, old, and self conscious in their eyes.

In my opinion, if you are a good candidate for HT the go for it... but that's ONLY if it can give you a good density... i have problem with people going for HTs just to add some hair on, while they get really bad density and they still look BALD.

If you are not a good candidate for density then maybe you can try to buzz your head, and work on other features to improve your look, like growing your goatee and going to the gym and getting a lean body.

buzzing or shaving your head will male you look your age or even younger if you work out on your body. at least, this way when you go out with a girl, you are being yourself and not hiding behind a hair piece that you know once she finds out about it and she will, most likely she will dump you on the spot.

You can go ahead and search what girls think about men who put on hair pieces, and i'll guarantee you that u'll never even think about doing it.

Norwoodsman,

I feel humbled by your experience. I also feel like complete pratt for being so down about the state of my hairline bearing in mind that I am only a Norwood 2.

Your situation is much different yet I have shared similar thoughts and feelings. What does that say about me. I think my hairloss has exposed a very unpleasant side of my personality that I can not bat off: vanity. I wish I could give myself a damn good slap and realise how lucky I am and all the rest of the 'blah blah blah' but I have tried and failed.

I'm not even going to comment on the prospect of a piece because I don't feel that I am qualified to. You are dealing with some serious emotional issues, even to the extent that you are moving away from home, so only you will be able to make that decision.

That's not to say that some of the advice you have received so far is constructive and supportive. Forum members have tapped into the emotional aspect of wearing a piece, of which, to a much much lesser degree I can identify with in part. Let me stress 'in part' as my situation is not comparable.

I have used concealers for about 3 years. When i first tried them and saw a quite remarkable cosmetic change and it would be fair to say that I became hooked and felt exhilarated.

A few poor HTs later and I still use them, but that initial glee has manisfested into thoughts of feeling like a cheat and a fraud. I am constantly self conscious about people discovering my concealers, preventing me from being albe to stand face to face with people and maintaining direct eye contact. I wish that I could kick the concealers so that I could bring my old personality back but its not easy.

Wearing a piece will no doubt invite similar feelings which you should strongly consider.

A very touching experience mate and its great to see such constructive and helpful advice coming through.

I wish you the very best and hope that your decision will bring you happiness.

Jessie

Can i ask if some of the negative replies regarding hair pieces are from guys who wore them?

had bad experiences with them?

or are basing it all on the fact that they still think that they are the rugs of yesteryear and do they really believe that all women are so shallow?

If a woman dumps you because they found out you wear then they are not worth having in your life anyway!

What is more vain,practical or just plain silly?

Having a transplant?

Wearing a system?

Surely if a certain route suits the individual to replace their hair then does it matter what route they take?

So why do some guys adopt the moral high ground and completely ridicule the system route?

Aren't we all trying to achieve the same outcome?

Systems suit me and many thousands of other guys simply because you can achieve,imho, far better results with no operation, no scars, no medication, no crappy results,especially the density, which are all too common (have a look around the web to simply confirm that) and costs less into the bargain.

And even at the end of it all if you decide one day to simply go bald then all you have to do is stop wearing and throw it in the bin and shave your head!

If that is practical for you?

Now what options do you have once you have had a transplant and further down the line when your balding gets too much and you have no donor hair left and scars on your head that stop you from shaving?

You and i know that this is all too common place and that these guys just look weird,hence why those same guys when they get to that stage have no other option but to wear to appear 'normal'.

It would probably shock and surprise many guys on here and elsewhere that a lot of guys who have had transplants end up wearing further down the line just to get a normal appearance again and/or to hide scarring.

As i have said wearing is a very viable option to regain hair again,does it really matter which route you take to achieve that aim for yourself?

And if you further doubt the viability of it then please search the web and do some research and be amazed at the results that are achievable very simply and easily.

After all we are all trying to achieve the same thing at the end of the day!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand all the objections when it comes to hair systems. My hair system feels so good and to be honest I don't understand what should make me feel sad about my hair system.... ?!?!?!?!?

I don't even have the problems that Brianwhitsky has. I can go swimming and do whatever I want. It is undetectable and I feel good. So I don't understand all the negative points towards hair systems.

I can only encourage people to go for a hair system. Nevertheless be carefull and do some research to find your perfect solution.

The reason for the negativity towards hair systems on here is simply because this is predominatley a hair transplant forum so there are obvious leanings towrds that area,tht coupled with being ignorant to what is achievable with a hair system compaired to what used to be available a few years ago.

Blieve it or not but there are very many guys who went the transplant route only to find themseves wearing systems simply because it is in many case a more feasable option, not to mention that it helps cover up botched surgery, scars,moe hair being lost and none left to replace the lost hair,etc.etc..

There is nothing difficult with wearing and you can do anything whilst wearing than what you can do with your own natural hair.Swim,shower,saunas, play sports etc...

For me and many millions of other guys and women out there, wearing a system far outweighs having a transplant.

This is really a very individual decision. If a hairpiece makes someone feel good and better about their appearance, then absolutely they should wear it. It isn't for me, but that does not make it wrong.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

hey rob thanks for the reply but i dont know much about the hair system, which hair system your taking about? am only aware of hair bonding and hair weaving, an am using hair bonding, i clip dat piece with my existing hair, let me remind you am not all that bald so i can clip to my frontal hair as well, i would like to know more about what hair system your taking about, i would definetly like to try it.

Hi brianwhitskey

I'm using a Total Cover Plus system. I don't know what you would call this system. The system is fitted and fully bonded to the bald area. With this system you don't get clips or anything like it. The adhesive is already built into the system. So it is applied and stays on the head.

It looks good and nobody has ever made any comment about my hair as it looks just very natural and I don't even feel that it is on my head.

Hair systems defy one major thing....PRACTICALITY..

It isnt practical to always worry, check, maintain, and avoid certain activities from wearing one....it is at first no worry as many have stated but after a while its just plain depressing....like trying to keep a shirt constantly pressed with out EVER showing one wrinkle

But i mean someone might not care....especially if people find out....ive seen normal thinning wayy out of shape guys walk around and i think wow..id NEVER leave the house looking like that....so it works both ways..

So the debate will never be solved...i personally dont see any reason for somone to wear a piece.... but then again..lets be practical..it seems the world looks at that as a joke, it isnt right but thats JUST how it is....

Hair systems defy one major thing....PRACTICALITY..

It isnt practical to always worry, check, maintain, and avoid certain activities from wearing one....it is at first no worry as many have stated but after a while its just plain depressing....like trying to keep a shirt constantly pressed with out EVER showing one wrinkle

But i mean someone might not care....especially if people find out....ive seen normal thinning wayy out of shape guys walk around and i think wow..id NEVER leave the house looking like that....so it works both ways..

So the debate will never be solved...i personally dont see any reason for somone to wear a piece.... but then again..lets be practical..it seems the world looks at that as a joke, it isnt right but thats JUST how it is....

With my system I avoid worrying and maintaining anything at all. I have it on my head and don't even feel that it is there. Around once every 5or6 weeks I go to the Total Cover Plus salon and get a new one and a new hair cut. In between I wash it normaly like I did when I had hair. With my system my life feels very much like living with hair.

When I used to have hair I went to get a hair cut around every 5-6 weeks. That's what I'm doing now, as well. And in between I don't bother about anything. I wash my hair (including the system) normally and then I style it and I do everything just normally.

So to me there isn't so much to bother about.

And I would say the world looks at obvious and bad toupees as a joke. But they also laugh at bald people. However they don't laugh about something they don't recognise as a hair system. How could they laugh about my system ifthey don't even know that I'm using one....

Obviously there isn't a point in using a hair system, no matter if it is good or bad, if you feel good being bald. But if you feel bad, then there aren't so many solutions that seem satisfying to me.

And a good hair system is definetly one!

I feel better with hair and I look better with hair.

There are some people who have really bad looking systems or wigs or use some very hard to maintain attachment methods. In that case I understand your point.

However in my case I don't have to worry about maintaining it, it is not expensive, it looks real and good.

So why shouldn't I or anybody else use a hair system?

I never said no one should, but for most it will be a pain after a few years. IF anyone has a great experievce with it and can handle the maitinence, all the power to them... I wore one for a few years and can tell yu first hand about the pitfalls.. Everyones lifestyle, income and social circles are very difference which can effect things greatly. yes having hair is great and if a system were maintinence and hassle fre id be the first to recommend....I think whoever wants to try it should and then they can make the decision if they want to cope ...

I never said no one should, but for most it will be a pain after a few years. IF anyone has a great experievce with it and can handle the maitinence, all the power to them... I wore one for a few years and can tell yu first hand about the pitfalls.. Everyones lifestyle, income and social circles are very difference which can effect things greatly. yes having hair is great and if a system were maintinence and hassle fre id be the first to recommend....I think whoever wants to try it should and then they can make the decision if they want to cope ...

This is a good point. You should try it and if you like it great, if not... well at least then you know.

From what you can read in the forum and from some personal experiences I can tell that it is not so easy to find a good solution. It took me a bit before I found Total Cover Plus. Fortunately it works perfectly for me.

Hi Guys,,.

Im new to this forum

I just want to share my story.

Im 36 been bald quite a few years.. 6 YEARS ago I had 2 hair transplants done but when you are bald a lot you need to do more and more.

Then just a month ago I saw a pic of myself and im like oh boy im bald

so i went online and found this new technique called non surgical hair replacement.

I went to 3 places that specialize in this..

Today september 12th 2011..I have hair replacement, lets just say im 10 years younger

Like ROHB im sure you feel this way.. I feel a changed man.. My co workers were stunned at the work done to me . I was go ahead guys see if u can spot the difference with new and old hair combined.. they were oh my god..

I look at my before and after pic.. im like i aint going back to that...

It is a little pricey yes...in the long run.. but hey I can now look at mirrors . overhead cameras. photos.. ,, damn right it was worth it

If your thinking about the $$ most places have financing so you can make monthly payments.. think of it as bying a car

Anwyays whoever wants PM me.. I will show you before and after pics but as of now... non surgical hair replacement is the way to go...

forget rogaine propecia surgeries... you cant go wrong..