Dr. Rahal, 2597 grafts in the crown. My 2nd HT - May 09 2011.

Hey everyone!

Please see my signature for a link to my first HT with Dr. Rahal in Jan 2008.

I was back in Dr. Rahal's chair last week on Monday the 9th of May. My first transplant (aged 28) concentrated on joining my crown into the mid scalp region and improving my look from the front. The result was great and I enjoyed my hair for 2 years but then I got a bit hair greedy. As you can see from my pics an area approx 15cm2 was left at the lower part of my crown. I hoped that I would improve this area with the use of meds (fin and minox) but it didn't happen. So I have had this area done (aged 31) and also added some density into the previous transplant.

The plan was to get 2000 grafts but my donor density was better than expected and I ended up with 2597, excellent, the more the merrier for me. I also got an excellent hair count which consisted of 110 singles, 1567 doubles, 893 triples and 27 quads which equals 6031 hairs. The size of my strip was 21.1cm2. The density is higher in the lower part of my crown and the rest is spread out in my previous transplant. Dr. Rahal used the singles to restore my crown swirl.

The whole experience was great and everyone was friendly and professional just like 3 years ago. But anyone who's had a transplant will know the actual procedure is the easy part, it is the waiting which begins now which is tough.

Last time I stayed at the Adams Airport Inn which was okay but cost me quite a bit in taxi fares. This time I stayed at the Foxbar Guesthouse which was well equipped and very comfortable. It is also just a 5 mins walk to Dr. Rahal's clinic which is very convenient. The owner is a nice guy and friendly and gave me a lift to the airport.

So to confirm I have now received 5400 grafts in a 75cm2 area of my crown, which is a lot. But the crown really is the black hole for grafts and requires a lot more than the front to create the illusion of density. Dr. Rahal said my donor and laxity is good so I still have enough to do the frontal third in the future.

Here are my pre and post op pics from my second procedure.

ht2pre2.jpg

ht2pre1.jpg

ht2post2.jpg

ht2post1.jpg

I don't understand El Nino. Your post up ht1 12.5 month crown appears to have been completely restored but when you I look at your pre op ht2 it looks as if you lost hair in the area you had transplanted. Can you clarify?

I don't understand El Nino. Your post up ht1 12.5 month crown appears to have been completely restored but when you I look at your pre op ht2 it looks as if you lost hair in the area you had transplanted. Can you clarify?

Hi Anouar,

As you can see from my pre op pics in January 2008 I still had some native hair in the transplanted area. I do believe that I have now lost this which is why it appears thinner.

I also stopped taking finasteride at christmas but now I am back on it. I also think my hair is going through a seasonal shed or I have lost some due to coming off the fin. And I am hoping it comes back in a few months.

Hope this helps.

I hope this works out well for you, but I just do not think it was prudent to transplant the crown on a man who was only 28, and then to go back a few years later and add MORE grafts to that area, wow. You look like you are thinning in the front where no grafts were placed, and yet you already spent 5,400 grafts in a 75cm2 area?

I realize I'm going to catch some flak for this post and I'll be accused of bashing Dr. Rahal, but I just don't think this was appropriate planning.

I hope this works out well for you, but I just do not think it was prudent to transplant the crown on a man who was only 28, and then to go back a few years later and add MORE grafts to that area, wow. You look like you are thinning in the front where no grafts were placed, and yet you already spent 5,400 grafts in a 75cm2 area?

I realize I'm going to catch some flak for this post and I'll be accused of bashing Dr. Rahal, but I just don't think this was appropriate planning.

No worries TC17, everyone has an opinion and are welcome to express it.

But a simple bit of math will show that the average density on my strip was 123 fu per cm2 (2597/21.1). This is good donor density.

Also I haven't had two ear to ear strips taken out, the first was three quarter length and starts from above my right ear. The second one was the same length and goes into the old scar a bit and above my left ear.

I have very good scalp laxity which means I am confident I still have enough donor to do the front in the future. At least another 4000 grafts via strip alone.

It seems I am one of the lucky ones with good donor densiy, hair characteristics and scalp laxity.

Very very good point.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Interesting case. I don't think it's too much considering that you have so much more donor available.

I'd say stick with the Fin this time. I've seen so many posters lately bemoaning the fact that they stopped Fin only to lose a butt-load of hair immediately thereafter.

Good luck with your results.

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Interesting case. I don't think it's too much considering that you have so much more donor available.

I'd say stick with the Fin this time. I've seen so many posters lately bemoaning the fact that they stopped Fin only to lose a butt-load of hair immediately thereafter.

Good luck with your results.

Corvettester

Thanks mate, good luck to you too.

Yeah I know stopping the Fin wasn't the wisest move. But in a perverse sort of way I do want my hair do it's worst and then I could hopefully get it sorted by Dr. Rahal and stop chasing it. But I'm not complaining, I know lots of people have it much worse than I do.

I would also like to say while I was at Dr. Rahal's clinic waiting for Mike a few days post op there was a young guy (20s) waiting for a consultation. I talked to him briefly before he went in to see Dr. Rahal, his front looked good so he must have had crown loss.

He came out five minutes later and said "No, maybe in a few years".

So I think it's fair to say Dr. Rahal wouldn't operate on any young guy with crown loss.

• 1 month later...

I'm now 8 weeks post op and just had my first hair cut since my second procedure. I got it buzzed down to a number 3 all over which might be a little short for the scar at this point in time, but I don't care. It looks ok but I think there is a little shock loss around it.

I can't wait for the regrowth on top cos it really sucks looking worse for 3 months after the op. I've had lots of ingrown hairs which are a good sign.

8weekspostop001.jpg

8weekspostop006.jpg

8weekspostop002.jpg

8weekspostop00.jpg

8weekspostop.jpg

8weeks.jpg

looking good pal and you seem to have very minimal shockloss for a blade 3 your laughing. Happy days for you it seems so far!

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

• 2 months later...

Cheers guys.

I'm now 4 months post op and just returned from a haircut where I got it buzzed down to a number 3 all over again. The shockloss on the scar is slowly returning and the regrowth on top has now started.

I'm very happy with how it looks so far and can't wait for the months ahead...

4months002.jpg

4months012.jpg?t=1315842507

4months003.jpg?t=1315842985

4months011.jpg?t=1315842877

4months010.jpg?t=1315842937

4months015.jpg?t=1315842740

4months014.jpg?t=1315843047

4months006.jpg?t=1315843091

Edited by El Nino

orlhair,

Thanks! Seen your 3 months pics and you're looking good too mate.

Sean,

Thanks! I've seen your detailed write up and great pics. I will be following your progress closely.

galtsglutch,

Thanks! I know people will look at my crown and think "Yeah he's had 5400 grafts put in, it should look great". But getting all the grafts to grow, in a natural looking way which completely blends in with my native hair, with a pencil thin scar, wouldn't have been easy.

• 3 months later...

Happy New Year!

I am nearly 8 months post op now and I have grown my hair out a bit.

These pics are with wet hair and then some with gel in after. I am very happy with how it looks but I know there is more to come. I remember from my first HT that it took ages to fully mature, past the one year mark.

8months004.jpg

8months006.jpg

8months015.jpg?t=1325605813

8months024.jpg

8months016.jpg

Looks great. What was your total hair count transplanted? I have been asking allot of questions lately on the forum about crown work in preparation for getting my crown done.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Looks great. What was your total hair count transplanted? I have been asking allot of questions lately on the forum about crown work in preparation for getting my crown done.

Hi mate,

I have had a total of 5400 grafts (12,306 hairs) into a 75cm2 area. This produces an average density of 72 FUs per cm2 and Dr. Rahal said it is 75% of the original density.

Hope this helps, good luck with your crown procedure.