Is it normal for the HT doctor to do this?

Is it normal for a HT doctor to have his techs do most if not all of the grafting? I was reading a lot about Dr. Limmer and I really want to go to him,but I was reading where he had his techs do the grafts...maybe most doctors do this, I dont know but I would like for someone to tell me...Also has anyone had any experience with Dr. Limmer?

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

techs place most of the grafts with most doctors I think, but the docs should be making the incisions.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I asked one of the top HT doctors frequently mentioned here whether in his practice techs placed the grafts or he did the placement himself. He said that techs do all the placement because "they're much better at it than I am."

Newhair,

As many others have stated, it's common procedure for the technicians to cut/refine the grafts under the microscope and place them into the incision sites. It's what they're trained to do, and they are very good at it! In most follicular unit transplantation cases (FUT), the physician will remove the strip, make the incision sites, suture the strip site, and monitor the graft placement.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

No doubt I'm biased because I went to Konior twice and am very happy. He does very clean work, always gives you more grafts than you pay for, is a meticulous perfectionist, and stays for the entire surgery, placing most or all of the grafts himself. Pretty incredible. Another plus for me was that he didn't shave me either time, adding a lot more work and effort on his part but sparing me the ugly duckling stage twice.

I know that every doc must have some unsatisfied patients but I have yet to run into one of his.

I need to update my website with recent photos showing the result of my second (crown) surgery. I can't believe the difference. Good luck to you in whomever you choose.

Thank you for your comments.

FYI, I'm very open with my gf about my HT research. I show her all the doctors I'm looking at to get her opinion. Well, I didn't feel I had found a truly solid option in SoCal and found Konior after another member privately recommended him. Anyway, I show her the before/after photos available here and elsewhere. She thought Konior was great.

So, I just checked your profile, and it appears you were one of the many examples we were examining. When we saw your result, she said "wooooooooow! He looks great." Not really knowing what a realistic result is, she expects Hollywood from HTs, you know. So, needless to say, gf (beautiful, beautiful woman) very much approves of your results and your doctor.

Thanks for your help!

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

It definitely isn't a bad thing if a clinic hires techs to do graft placing. But Konior does the placing himself and his work speaks for itself I think. You couldn't go wrong with him for sure.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Well, that's some really nice feedback, Taken4Granted. Thanks. When I first started this HT journey, I was highly skeptical as the HT industry just seemed so seedy. Obviously I'm a believer now. It pays to look around and definitely not go the cheap route if you're serious about getting good results. There are some bad docs and clinics out there but there are also some all-stars out there too. This website is a great resource. Good luck on your search and if you do choose Konior, feel free to send me any questions. And tell your GF thanks for me too! : )

Back in the minigraft days I probably put in 75% of the grafts. When we switched to FU and increased the size of the cases, techs became more involved. Once we passed 1200 grafts...I essentially put in about half the grafts and the tech(s) did the others, with me finishing up.

Now, with bigger cases, and techs who really are quicker, more delicate, and more gentle than my 46 year old hands are, if I were having a transplant I'd want my placers to place my grafts preferential to me placing my own grafts...if of course it were even possible.

The key is a good, thought out hairline design; dense placement of slits properly oriented, and gentle placement in an expedient fashion. The doctor should do the first 2, and oversee and quality control the third item.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr. Lindsey,

As usual, thank you for the helpful input!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.